Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #16
weHEARTmickey
Dreamin' of Disney.......

Thank you for starting this thread! I'm DESPERATE for restaurant/tour info. And thank you, PrincessinOz for the link to your informative thread
Oct 6, 2012-Anniversary Cruise- 7 Nights on Magic with DH ..~.. Oct 27, 2012- 7 Nights on Disney Magic w/Kids & Granny
Dec 2012-8 days of Deluxe Dining at the Poly ..~.. Dec 2012- 6 Night Christmas surprise on Disney Magic
Jan 2013-1st trip to DISNEYLAND!! Disneyland Hotel ..~.. May 2013-8 days at Yacht Club/Grand Floridian/AKL/AoA!
Sept 2013-13 days Wilderness Club Level & AKL Club Level NOJ ..~.. Oct 2013 DCL HalloWONDER Cruise
June 2014: Last Minute Combo trip: Disney Dream + Coronado Springs Resort
UPCOMING Trips: WDW 2 weeks, Disneyland 1 week, AULANI 10 days
weHEARTmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
mysticcruiser
Mouseketeer

I will be taking my daugher to San Francisco in April, staying at the Hilton on Fishermans Wharf. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in the area that will be inexpensive? We are on a budget, as we will be going to Vegas also...
mysticcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #18
chttyangel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egritz View Post
the House of Prime Rib is stellar! Expensive but great.
http://houseofprimerib.net/home.html
This place is my ULTIMATE favorite!!!! SF is about 2 hours from our place and hubby/I drive into the City just for this yummy goodness. Best prime rib in Northern CA.

Disneyland: 1986, June 1994 (Grad Night), March 2001(spring break), March 2004 (spring break), November 2007, March 2009, April 2012 (spring break), November 2012 (holiday trip)
So Cal; October 2005
DISNEYWORLD June 2013 (POP, CBR)
chttyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticcruiser View Post
I will be taking my daugher to San Francisco in April, staying at the Hilton on Fishermans Wharf. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in the area that will be inexpensive? We are on a budget, as we will be going to Vegas also...
If you need really cheap you can find McD's or Burger King in the area. Skip the chains like Rain Forest Cafe or Joe's Crab Shack if they are inline with your prices.

I've eaten by the wharf a handful of time but not anything cheap, other than the vendors at the end of Taylor Street selling cups of shrimp and chunks of crab.

In SF the best places I've found that were cheap and good were suggested to me. When ever I asked the conceirge I was recommended somewhere fancy like the hotels they works in, so I asked the valets or doormen. They could tell me about where they went to for lunch or with friends. Sent me to some comfortable, tasty places.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
chttyangel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Your staying in an area that is full of tourist places (Hard Rock, Rain Forest, Bubba Gumps, Pier 39). If you on a budget; I would venture out and steer clear of them. In your area there are a few fast food options (McDonalds, In/Out, Johnny Rockets), there is also Boudin for good soup/sandwiches, or seafood from the "stands" along fishermans wahrf.

Outside of that area; North Beach Pizza has the bomb pizza, China Town has some great options, Tommy's Joint is terrffic and was featured on Diner, Drive-ins and Dives. North Beach has a million great Italian places for a nice night out ranging from $-$$$. SF has great public transportation so I would just hop a trolley and explore.

Disneyland: 1986, June 1994 (Grad Night), March 2001(spring break), March 2004 (spring break), November 2007, March 2009, April 2012 (spring break), November 2012 (holiday trip)
So Cal; October 2005
Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #21
mysticcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chttyangel View Post
Your staying in an area that is full of tourist places (Hard Rock, Rain Forest, Bubba Gumps, Pier 39). If you on a budget; I would venture out and steer clear of them. In your area there are a few fast food options (McDonalds, In/Out, Johnny Rockets), there is also Boudin for good soup/sandwiches, or seafood from the "stands" along fishermans wahrf.

Outside of that area; North Beach Pizza has the bomb pizza, China Town has some great options, Tommy's Joint is terrffic and was featured on Diner, Drive-ins and Dives. North Beach has a million great Italian places for a nice night out ranging from $-$$$. SF has great public transportation so I would just hop a trolley and explore.
Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions! Where is Tommy's Joint, and what is the best way to get to China Town?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions! Where is Tommy's Joint, and what is the best way to get to China Town?
From the Wharf you can get to China Town by Walking, a cab, cable car or check out Muni.

Our favorite restaurant in China Town is the Washington Street Bakery and Restaurant - its on Washington St.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
mysticcruiser
Mouseketeer

How far a walk is it from the Hilton to China Town? I think I would like to check it out!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #24
chttyangel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Here is the link to Tommy's Joint; http://www.tommysjoynt.com/

So Cal; October 2005
Old 02-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #25
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Quote:
How far a walk is it from the Hilton to China Town? I think I would like to check it out!
I believe the walk is about a mile.
MapQuest does awesome walking maps BTW
I am not sure where the Hilton is (I didn't look it up specifically) but from Ghirardelli area to the center of China Town it is a little over a mile
Thanks AidensMom
Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #26
chttyangel
Mouseketeer

A mile up hill in SF can be a long mile. The cable car drops you off directly in front of China Town thou and is really inexpensive/fun to ride.

So Cal; October 2005
Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Zerosinthecloset
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A mile up hill in SF can be a long mile. The cable car drops you off directly in front of China Town thou and is really inexpensive/fun to ride.
Not by a long shot. A one way ride on a cable car is $6 one way. The number 30 Stockton bus runs right through North Beach and to Stockton right through China Town. The bus fare is, I think $2.00 and transfers are good for 90 minutes.

The best deal, depending on how long you will be in town, is a 3 day Passport which now goes for $21/person. The Passport allows unlimited rides on Cable Cars, F-line trolley, MUNI subway....not BART...and all MUNI buses. The F-line trolley loops through Fisherman's Wharf and downtown down Market Street to the Castro area and back. The trolleys themselves are quite historical, coming from a number of different countries and a number of U.S. cities.
Zerosinthecloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #28
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Quote:
So true - we hiked up and down Lombard last year - thought I was going to die

However, Columbus from the Wharf area to China Town is only a very slight incline in a few places, it is not strenuous at all.
Thanks AidensMom
Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #29
Disney Enabler
It's a great day to be alive!

If you are coming to San Francisco don't forget to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum. The chili is good especially on a foggy day.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!
Disney Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #30
chttyangel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
So true - we hiked up and down Lombard last year - thought I was going to die

However, Columbus from the Wharf area to China Town is only a very slight incline in a few places, it is not strenuous at all.
Good to know! Thanks!!

So Cal; October 2005

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: