Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 AM   #796
alayne
DIS Veteran

My DH and I stayed at the CBR for our Honeymoon in 1999. We loved it and so we went back and did it all over in 2000. Since then we have been back to Disney (but stayed outside the park - DID NOT LIKE.) and now we are going again.

This time we are taking our son who is 6. My DH and I really wanted to stay at CBR because we had so much fun on our honeymoon and when we saw the new Pirate Rooms we knew our son would have a blast.

We have two Pirate Rooms booked for April 2011 (my mom and two nieces will be going with us) and I can't wait to see the rooms.

The pictures that were posted were great. Thanks for all the great info.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #797
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindykelley View Post
Glad to hear you liked CBR since we are going in 4 weeks, but do you know how long they will be refurbishing Caribbean Cay? I can't find any info about it on the websites. It's definitely not a dealbreaker, but I would like to be able to explore everything.
The area where the hammocks are was open, but the playground area was closed. I really don't know how long it will be like that. Hope it is open when you are there, but don't worry, there is still plenty to do!

So couldn’t we all come to the conclusion that it’s not the PLACE that counts, it’s the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #798
Moneypenny
Mouseketeer

We just returned from our trip 10/22-29 and enjoyed our second stay at CBR! We got our Aruba request and DD was given a crown and wand when we checked in (which was late at night on Friday, so plenty of time for them to give her attention!). Our room was mostly clean, although a bit disty around the baseboards (which I likely wouldn't have noticed if I wouldn't have checked for bed bugs - no evidence of those).

We noticed a definite improvement in the cleaning when Monday rolled around. I'm wondering if the usual housekeeper was off for the weekend, because on Saturday and Sunday the basics were done, and on Monday we had a towel animal, loads of extra towels, soap and shampoo, etc.

Bus service was great except for the two days we slept in and got to the bus stop between 8:45 and 9:30. Both days we then had to wait 20-25 minutes and one of those times it was standing room only. We weren't in a hurry, so no big deal. All other times we had a bus literally within 5 minutes. The only other time we stood was leaving MNSSHP on Tuesday. The line for the bus leaving the park was stretching beyond the corral area, so I thought we'd be in a for a huge wait, but they filled up one bus and another pulled right up, then another. We were on the 3rd bus less than 10 minutes after arriving at the line and there were only about 20 people left in line with another bus pulling in behind us.

We ate at the food court most evenings and it was fine - the options got a little dull after a while, but the food was always the right temperature and tasty enough. The deli counter service area didn't ever seem to be open for dinner, although I do think it was open at breakfast. On our two "sleep in" days we ate breakfast at the food court (other days we had cereal or oatmeal in our room) and it was busy, but we were able to find a table right away.

Our last night DD woke up about 9:30 p.m. (I'll confess DH and I were asleep, too - it was a tiring week!) having thrown up in her bed and on the carpeting. I called housekeeping and someone came to change the bedding right away and to clean the carpet about 15 minutes later. They were very sweet to DD and I felt horrible, but they were nothing but accommodating and friendly.

As someone mentioned, the island is undergoing refurbishment but we never spent much time on the island anyway, so it wasn't a big deal to us (although DH said he did miss listening to Jimmy Buffet as he walked along the trail, lol!)

If you have any questions, just ask and I'll do my best to answer them!
Carribean Beach Resort - October 2010
Carribean Beach Resort - March 2009
Old 11-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #799
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

Oh I'm so sorry about your DD!! I hope she felt better soon! Glad you had a good stay and good mousekeeping! Glad to hear they were on the ball with the buses as well!! I am a little bummed about the Cay- it's one of my favorite parts of the resort!

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Old 11-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #800
metzgardesign
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post
....The only other time we stood was leaving MNSSHP on Tuesday. The line for the bus leaving the park was stretching beyond the corral area, so I thought we'd be in a for a huge wait, but they filled up one bus and another pulled right up, then another. We were on the 3rd bus less than 10 minutes after arriving at the line and there were only about 20 people left in line with another bus pulling in behind us.....
Glad you caught the tail end of that fiasco. We caught the beginning of it. Our wait was far longer than 10 minutes. Took the WDW Transpo a while to figure out how to remedy the issue, it would seem.....thus explaining the super long line that extended far beyond the corral area.

But, it did remind us that driving our own vehicle was so much more comfortable, convenient and pleasant than standing butt-cheek-to-butt-cheek on a WDW bus at 1 a.m. (the rest of the week we drove to where we wanted to go).

Overall, the resort was very nice. Yes, the Cay was being worked on, but WDW was nice enough to provide a generator-powered light for the path at night, so that really added to the ambiance (kinda like someone operating a weed-whacker alongside the trail). Did help with seeing the walkway a bit, if'n you didn't look directly into the lightbeam.

We'd stay there again, I believe.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #801
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

Another question.... :)

We're finally 10 days away and I checked in online today. I was planning on checking the little "near transportation" preference box, but I'm told they can't process that part and I'll need to call. So my question is do I REALLY need to request that? Are there really any rooms that are just miserably away from the bus stops? Right now my requests are simply ground floor in Aruba or Jamaica. No building numbers or anything... So what do you think? Is it worth calling tomorrow and either just saying to add "near transportation" to the ressie or even adding particular bldg numbers?? Or am I probably good as it is? FWIW, we're going to have the twins and their stroller that we'll be lugging to/from the bus stop every day.

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #802
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel on Land View Post
We're finally 10 days away and I checked in online today. I was planning on checking the little "near transportation" preference box, but I'm told they can't process that part and I'll need to call. So my question is do I REALLY need to request that? Are there really any rooms that are just miserably away from the bus stops? Right now my requests are simply ground floor in Aruba or Jamaica. No building numbers or anything... So what do you think? Is it worth calling tomorrow and either just saying to add "near transportation" to the ressie or even adding particular bldg numbers?? Or am I probably good as it is? FWIW, we're going to have the twins and their stroller that we'll be lugging to/from the bus stop every day.

Thanks!

Well, think of it this way. If you get a roon in Jamaica or Aruba, and you are real close to the bus stop you may be real far from the bridge to OPR (particularly in Aruba - not as much in Jamaica). However, if it is more important to be close to the bus stop, you should call and have that request added.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #803
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!
I agree with the PP. Last year we were in Aruba building 56. We could not have been closer to the bus stop, but also were the furthest away to the bridge to Old Port Royal (and the main pool). It worked for us, as we only went swimming twice and rarely ever ate at the food court. Think about what you will use the most, your own bus stop, or going to OPR.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #804
dis_guy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I agree with the PP. Last year we were in Aruba building 56. We could not have been closer to the bus stop, but also were the furthest away to the bridge to Old Port Royal (and the main pool). It worked for us, as we only went swimming twice and rarely ever ate at the food court. Think about what you will use the most, your own bus stop, or going to OPR.
We've also stayed in Aruba 56, twice in fact. Loved the close bus stop and since we're active and love walking anyway, the walk to OPR was no problem at all.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #805
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
good advice- I'm on the phone now!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #806
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
good advice- I'm on the phone now!
You're welcome.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #807
JasmineMA
Earning My Ears

Just got back from our first stay at CBR We were in Aruba 51, and found the resort super quiet and relaxing. There was hardly anyone in the parking lot or building. We arrived a few hours early (around 10 am), and were given our rooms, told they were ready. There were painters in them painting them, so all the walls were wet, not a big deal as they dried pretty quickly. We were closest to the bridge, and as someone mentioned, Caribbean Cay was being worked on, so all but one path was blocked off. The quiet pools and beaches were basically empty the whole trip. The slide at the main pool sometimes had a wait. I can't speak for the buses, as we only went to Magic Kingdom on Halloween, but that bus was not packed (around 9 am). I think the longest wait we had was 15-20 mins for Peter Pan. Overall, I did not see many people at CBR at all, besides at the main pool (the food court did not even get that full), and Aruba 51 rooms are freshly painted

February 2009 - All Star Sports
February 2010 - Pop Century
October/November 2010 - Pop Century & Caribbean Beach
January 2011 - Pop Century
Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #808
3boys4me
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post
As someone mentioned, the island is undergoing refurbishment but we never spent much time on the island anyway, so it wasn't a big deal to us (although DH said he did miss listening to Jimmy Buffet as he walked along the trail, lol!)

If you have any questions, just ask and I'll do my best to answer them!
When you say they are doing a refurb on the island is that the Caribbean Cay? If yes, is the bridge still open? We are staying here for the first time and I have requested Jamaica 45. Soooo confused. TIA

11/2004 All Star Movies
11/2005 POFQ
11/2008 Coronado Springs
11/2009 Coronado Springs
11/2010 Caribbean Beach Resort
03/2011 POP, 11/2011 POP
11/2012 AoA, 11/2013 POP
11/2014 ASSP
Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #809
JasmineMA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boys4me View Post
When you say they are doing a refurb on the island is that the Caribbean Cay? If yes, is the bridge still open? We are staying here for the first time and I have requested Jamaica 45. Soooo confused. TIA
The bridge is open, they have one path across Caribbean Cay open for you to get to the pool/food court/store. The playground was being redone it looked like, so the playground area and the "picnic" area is inaccessible. They were working pretty hard all week, it should be done soon. The noise from the work was pretty minimal also.

February 2009 - All Star Sports
February 2010 - Pop Century
October/November 2010 - Pop Century & Caribbean Beach
January 2011 - Pop Century
Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #810
3boys4me
DIS Veteran

Thank you.

11/2004 All Star Movies
11/2005 POFQ
11/2008 Coronado Springs
11/2009 Coronado Springs