Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #736
Gitts2008
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkscvol1 View Post
I'm starting to get nervous! This will be our first time at cbr and I've read a few not so great posts from recent guests. I'm really debating talking to dh about changing resorts. The only reason we changed from pop was because of the dining plan. we got the better plan for staying at a moderate but i'm really getting worried about the buses, cleanliness, etc.
I am understand your concerns. I had them too....Fear of the unknown. People write about good and bad, but what they think is good might be your unacceptable. Sometimes it is a magical trip and some times it can just be a trip.

We have been to CBR 2 x. The first time the resort was EXCELLENT, we only had one complaint and it was with the front desk. The second time, the carpet was wet in our room and there was no HOT water for the first few days. Overall, we LOVE this resort. It is calm and peaceful. The staff are very nice and helpful. The buses were fine. Our room was clean and I am a clean freak. It will be a great trip even if there is a bump or two.

Have a great time!

Last edited by Gitts2008; 10-19-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #737
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

Quote:
I'm starting to get nervous! This will be our first time at cbr and I've read a few not so great posts from recent guests. I'm really debating talking to dh about changing resorts. The only reason we changed from pop was because of the dining plan. we got the better plan for staying at a moderate but i'm really getting worried about the buses, cleanliness, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumeria9 View Post
I'm nervous too, mainly about the bus transportation. Esp. after seeing that video of the guy trying to beat up the bus driver! I just booked a rental car, which I can always cancel, but from day 1 I was nervous about this issue. DH doesn't want to deal w/a car but he will definitely be unhappy if we sit at a bus stop waiting and waiting because buses are either full or they are slow. We got the *free* dining too. So hope that kinda makes up for the $200 car rental?
Ok, everyone RELAX. I have stayed at CBR 4 times and have our 5th booked for next summer. We have gone during some of the busiest times of the year, and the buses are fine. We have gone during Pop Warner, during Free Dining in Dec. and in Aug. and the buses are just fine. There are a few tricks that you need to follow; 1) Don't try to ride during the "Peak" times, prior to rope drop or at park closing. We always go right after rope drop and we always leave about an hour before park closing. We do stay sometimes, but we know that the buses will be busy then. 2) Know that there will always be others there with you, and that those with ECVs will load first.

As far as cleanliness is concerned, I have yet to have a dirty room. I don't doubt that some experience a less than "what they'd do" clean room, but come on, you can find one of those at the Grand Floridian too. I don't know why everyone wants to blame it on CBR. Did you all realize that CBR shares the same Mousekeepers with Pop, so they are the same ones. So you will the same kind of clean at Pop as you get at CBR. Go and try to have a good time, enjoy your trip, even if you have to wait a few for a bus. It can't be all bad, you are at Disney afterall!!!!!

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #738
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2taylorandemily View Post
There are a few tricks that you need to follow; 1) Don't try to ride during the "Peak" times, prior to rope drop or at park closing. We always go right after rope drop and we always leave about an hour before park closing. We do stay sometimes, but we know that the buses will be busy then. 2) Know that there will always be others there with you, and that those with ECVs will load first.
This is our first time using buses... is trying to hit rope drop too crazy? We've always been rope drop people, but we've also always had a car.... Does anyone have any good bus recommendations or advice?

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Old 10-20-2010, 05:59 AM   #739
nessz79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel on Land View Post
This is our first time using buses... is trying to hit rope drop too crazy? We've always been rope drop people, but we've also always had a car.... Does anyone have any good bus recommendations or advice?
maybe try just getting an earlier bus? For example, instead of catching a bus at 8:30, try catching one at 8? Maybe someone else will know better, but I think we try to get there extra early to beat the crowds.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #740
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There are a few tricks that you need to follow; 1) Don't try to ride during the "Peak" times, prior to rope drop or at park closing. We always go right after rope drop and we always leave about an hour before park closing. We do stay sometimes, but we know that the buses will be busy then.
Another option at the end of the night is to wait it out. If a park closes, they don't toss you out right away. Rides close but shops don't. We will grab something to eat/drink & find a bench for an hour before trying to grab a bus back. We figure if we are going to stand in line an hour, why not just sit & relax for the hour then go out & stroll onto the bus. Busses run well after closing & we've never had a problem doing this. And as an added bonus you may catch the burn-off after Illuminations or the Kiss Goodnight @ MK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessz79 View Post
maybe try just getting an earlier bus? For example, instead of catching a bus at 8:30, try catching one at 8? Maybe someone else will know better, but I think we try to get there extra early to beat the crowds.
I seem to remember that busses start running an hour before park open. Of course busses running 1 hour before doesn't mean they are at your bus stop then... probably means they leave the depot then & head out. If you have to be there early, to be safe, I'd be @ the stop an hour before opening so you do catch that 1st bus.
Another option, if you absolutely have to be there at a certain time would be to use a cab. Might be cheaper than a rental car if you only need it a couple times during your trip. Just call down to bell services 30 - 60 minutes before you need it so they can make sure one is there. I know they are usually around, but Murphy's law the one time you need one they won't be there, so better to call & be sure it is arranged.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #741
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
I'm nervous too, mainly about the bus transportation. Esp. after seeing that video of the guy trying to beat up the bus driver! I just booked a rental car, which I can always cancel, but from day 1 I was nervous about this issue. DH doesn't want to deal w/a car but he will definitely be unhappy if we sit at a bus stop waiting and waiting because buses are either full or they are slow. We got the *free* dining too. So hope that kinda makes up for the $200 car rental?

I wouldn't worry about it! CBR is a lovely resort. But yes, bad experiences can and will happen at any Disney resort. That being said, our best experiences have been at CBR. We would pick it over the rest of the moderates any day. We have also experienced the best bus service at CBR, with most waits being under 5 minutes! Plus CBR is the most centrally located resort, making for very short trips to all parks & DTD. Our room has always been clean and the staff very friendly & helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel on Land View Post
No, it's not crazy at all to try to hit rope drop! We have always went out to the bus stop about 45 minutes before park opening and got there with plenty pf time to spare!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #742
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
There are a few tricks that you need to follow; 1) Don't try to ride during the "Peak" times, prior to rope drop or at park closing. We always go right after rope drop and we always leave about an hour before park closing. We do stay sometimes, but we know that the buses will be busy then. 2) Know that there will always be others there with you, and that those with ECVs will load first.
Agreed.
The only time I had a "bad" experience with the buses (and I wouldn't call it bad, but DW & kids differ) was when we left MK at closing on a Saturday night. It took an hour before we were able to board a bus. I looked at as though it was to be expected. Otherwise, I've never had problems getting to the parks in the morning - although most times we had breakfast ADRs for earlier than rope drop - or getting back to the resort other than that one night. And that night we violated the DISers unwritten rule of avoiding MK on a Saturday night. It was our last night and I wanted to surprise everyone with the Wishes desset party.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #743
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
We have stayed at the CBR 5 years in a row. Our last stay was Memorial Day, 2010. We have never had any issues with mousekeeping, bus transportation or rude castmembers.

If a room doesn't seem to be clean enough to you, all you have to do is push "housekeeping" on your room phone and complain. Tell them your problem and they'll do their best to rectify the problem. We've never had a problem with a dirty room but we did call housekeeping and ask that they bring extra towels and washclothes and they were there, literally, in less than 5 minutes.

The bus transporatation has always been efficient during our stays. We've never waited long for a bus. I think the longest was about 25 minutes and that was in the middle of the day and we had just missed an Epcot bus. It was rolling away when we were walking across the parking lot. We also know that it wasn't during peak times so that's probably what took a little longer. If you do have bus issues, simply pick up the phone in the bus stop. There's on in every CBR bus stop. Complain and they will send more buses.

You will read lots of bad reviews for every Disney resort. All the way from the Grand Floridian down to the All Stars resorts.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 10-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #744
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

OP - I may have been one of the mediocre/negative reviews you've read recently. However, I wouldn't change your resort at this point. It will be cool to stay in a resort you haven't tried yet and the issues you may encounter here will not ruin your vacation. DH will not stay here again, but I would consider it. Understand that the resort is spread out and it may take a long time for buses. Epcot was the worst for us at all times of day - morning, 5pm, closing. This could be due to Food & Wine or it could be because we went to Epcot every evening that we noticed. The other annoying part about the buses (though this happens at other resorts too) is that there are 6 or 7 internal stops within CBR. Buses were a problem for us for 2 reasons. One, because we went back for DD's afternoon nap each day so it felt like we lost a lot of time waiting. And two, because we had some bad luck (must have kept missing them because we always waited 15-20 minutes or more).
The pool looked nice (didn't try it) and mousekeeping varied from excellent to satisfactory during our stay.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #745
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

Ok all my wonderful CBR friends; I have a question and need some advice and input. We have always stayed in Preferred Rooms at CBR and for the most part we've gotten Martinique 26 which we love, we were placed in North Trinidad 33 once and it was ok. So, now we have a trip planned for next August as a BounceBack with Free Dining again, and this time we will be staying 11 nights, 12 days. I'm getting to the point of this I promise. We (me and DDs) love the look of Jamaica and we are wondering how much we will miss the closeness of OPR and the main pool. At Martinique 26 it is just about a 2-3 minute walk, and both my DDs swim without us right there; they are teenaged and tweenaged. So, being close is a nice convenience. Switching to the Standard room will save me $300+ over a 11 night vacation. I don't know what to do, the money won't break the bank, but it sure would buy a few Dole Whips, if you know what I mean. Please help me sort this all out, I just can't decide. Oh, and we also have thought about Martinique 24 as an option too. So, please give me your thoughts. We are also tossing around the idea of CSR with the Queen Size beds, and staying Standard there. We just don't know what to do, we love CBR's food court and the kids are comfortable there, but also are willing (and 1 DD wants) to try something new. Ok, I've rambled enough now!!!

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #746
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok all my wonderful CBR friends; I have a question and need some advice and input. We have always stayed in Preferred Rooms at CBR and for the most part we've gotten Martinique 26 which we love, we were placed in North Trinidad 33 once and it was ok. So, now we have a trip planned for next August as a BounceBack with Free Dining again, and this time we will be staying 11 nights, 12 days. I'm getting to the point of this I promise. We (me and DDs) love the look of Jamaica and we are wondering how much we will miss the closeness of OPR and the main pool. At Martinique 26 it is just about a 2-3 minute walk, and both my DDs swim without us right there; they are teenaged and tweenaged. So, being close is a nice convenience. Switching to the Standard room will save me $300+ over a 11 night vacation. I don't know what to do, the money won't break the bank, but it sure would buy a few Dole Whips, if you know what I mean. Please help me sort this all out, I just can't decide. Oh, and we also have thought about Martinique 24 as an option too. So, please give me your thoughts. We are also tossing around the idea of CSR with the Queen Size beds, and staying Standard there. We just don't know what to do, we love CBR's food court and the kids are comfortable there, but also are willing (and 1 DD wants) to try something new. Ok, I've rambled enough now!!!
We have stayed in Jamaica 41 twice and Martinique three times (twice in preferred and once in non-preferred). Our walk from Jamaica 41 (the furthest building) to Old Port Royale took about 5 minutes at a leisurely pace. When we stayed in the non-preferred Martinique building, it took us about 5 minutes too.

For our next trip, we aren't going to make any requests (other than downstairs if my 76 year old mother goes with us). I'm actually hoping that they put us in another village just so we can have a different feel of the resort.

As far as the CSR goes, we have thought about staying there too. But, I just don't know if we'd like the food court and I wonder about the convention "feel".

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #747
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:

I'm just going to copy and paste my post from a couple of days ago:

I had a water view reservation and requested building 45 or 51. I ended up with room 4557. I don't think I could have picked a better room location myself. It was a second-floor corner room (so extra window and a great view of the lake and Caribbean Cay), about as close to the foot of the bridge as can be (so real short walk to OPR), and right around the bend to the ice machine. We were also extremely close to Jamaica's beach area and quiet pool/laundry. According to Disney, water view can mean either a view of the lake or a view of the pool (which no one would prefer). Building 45 is not next to the pool, so if you get a room in 45 it will be a lake view. I think a water view reservation with a request for building 45 or 51 is better than a preferred room reservation. It's the same upcharge, but if you get either of those building (not guaranteed, I know), you'll probably end up with a shorter walk to OPR than some preferred rooms and have a great view.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #748
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Personally I think paying for a water view room is a waste. You could have a view of a quiet pool, you might have to crane your neck to see a view of the water from your room.

If you want to be sure you don't have a long walk to get to the main pool or food court then I would book preferred. If you don't mind the walk then just get a standard room. I don't find the walk bad but enjoy being close to the pool and food court.

You can request a location but it isn't guaranteed.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #749
BlueIrish
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
I'm just going to copy and paste my post from a couple of days ago:

I had a water view reservation and requested building 45 or 51. I ended up with room 4557. I don't think I could have picked a better room location myself. It was a second-floor corner room (so extra window and a great view of the lake and Caribbean Cay), about as close to the foot of the bridge as can be (so real short walk to OPR), and right around the bend to the ice machine. We were also extremely close to Jamaica's beach area and quiet pool/laundry. According to Disney, water view can mean either a view of the lake or a view of the pool (which no one would prefer). Building 45 is not next to the pool, so if you get a room in 45 it will be a lake view. I think a water view reservation with a request for building 45 or 51 is better than a preferred room reservation. It's the same upcharge, but if you get either of those building (not guaranteed, I know), you'll probably end up with a shorter walk to OPR than some preferred rooms and have a great view.

Just wanted to say, I stayed in this same room in July, second floor corner room in Jamaica building 45. Best room I have ever had, water view of the lake, right next to the bridge to the main pool and so close to the quiet pool.

Best part was, I got this room as a free room upgrade CBR is a great resort.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #750
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I would go standard and request Jamaica 45 or Aruba 51. Both are excellent locations and under 5 minutes to OPR. My kids have never complained or thought it was a long walk at all. Quite the opposite actually, they love that little scenic walk over the bridge & island!

We stayed at CSR once and don't care to go back. It didn't really feel like Disney to us. We hated the food court and it felt more geared towards adults and conventioneers, than to families.

If you are looking for something new I would recommend POR. It is our 2nd favorite resort (CBR being first) and offers nice lush grounds and a relaxing feel like CBR, plus has a great food court!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: