Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #31
HJRWoman
Earning My Ears

We just got back from a stay at CBR and had a great time! The resort was great! We did online check-in and I phoned in my request for Jamaica. When we got there at 11:00am, I was a little disappointed that we didn't get Jamaica, then I realized that our room in Trinidad North was an upgrade and it was ready! (This was a Saturday morning) Check-in was a breeze and the internal shuttle arrived quickly. We thought that bus transport was easy all week. We never waited more that 10 minutes for a bus. DH was impressed with Magical Express and Bell services when they had our bags waiting in our room after we visited DD. They were equally prompt and efficient on our return trip. DH didn't know what Disney magic was until he stayed at CBR! Now he's hooked!

1st Stay at Art of Animation 4/14!!

Me DH DS(15) DD(12)
Old 06-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #32
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJRWoman View Post
We just got back from a stay at CBR and had a great time! The resort was great! We did online check-in and I phoned in my request for Jamaica. When we got there at 11:00am, I was a little disappointed that we didn't get Jamaica, then I realized that our room in Trinidad North was an upgrade and it was ready! (This was a Saturday morning) Check-in was a breeze and the internal shuttle arrived quickly. We thought that bus transport was easy all week. We never waited more that 10 minutes for a bus. DH was impressed with Magical Express and Bell services when they had our bags waiting in our room after we visited DD. They were equally prompt and efficient on our return trip. DH didn't know what Disney magic was until he stayed at CBR! Now he's hooked!
Welcome back! Glad you had such a great time!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #33
KimDisFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraBara View Post
Has anyone booked a standard room and then changed to a preferred room once they got to CBR? I don't want to pay the extra for a preferred room(at the moment), but if we are placed in Barbados or the far reaches of Aruba/Jamaica, I would like to just upgrade once we get there. I realize that we could get there and there wouldn't be any availability for preferred, but I'm willing to take that chance. So has anyone done this????
Just back from our stay 6/20 - 6/25. We got Barbados 13, we were close to the bus stop, quiet pool and a 5 minute walk to OPR. I have arthritis in my knees so I was worried, but it really wasn't that bad.

Buses - I found if you went to the park by rope drop the buses weren't bad, if you got a little later start (9 am), buses were way more crowded. That was the only time we had to stand on the way to a park. Just another reason to get an early start The only other time we had to stand was after PM EMH at MK, we had to stand on the way back. I thought the buses were great, as did my DH, who usually likes to be in control of his transportation. It was really nice to get on an air conditioned bus after a hot day at the park.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #34
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimDisFan View Post
Just back from our stay 6/20 - 6/25. We got Barbados 13, we were close to the bus stop, quiet pool and a 5 minute walk to OPR. I have arthritis in my knees so I was worried, but it really wasn't that bad.

Buses - I found if you went to the park by rope drop the buses weren't bad, if you got a little later start (9 am), buses were way more crowded. That was the only time we had to stand on the way to a park. Just another reason to get an early start The only other time we had to stand was after PM EMH at MK, we had to stand on the way back. I thought the buses were great, as did my DH, who usually likes to be in control of his transportation. It was really nice to get on an air conditioned bus after a hot day at the park.
Your DH sounds like mine. He always wants to be in control too. We use the buses, but most trips we have rented a car, just so he can go off property if he wants to. Most of the time the car just sits in the parking lot.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #35
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Glad to hear that you had a good stay at the CBR! Congrats on getting the free upgrade. Now that your husband realizes that Disney is magical, maybe you can talk him into a return trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimDisFan View Post

Happy that you had a good stay! We were actually thinking about requesting Barbados next trip. My 76 year old mother will be with us and it's nice to hear that the walk is easy.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 06-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #36
Susabella
Earning My Ears

I've Read Them All Now!

I did it! I've read through all four (now 5!) of the CBR FAQ threads! (Not all in one sitting! )

Thank you to everyone who has shared their opinions and expertise about CBR - especially Safety Mom! What a wealth of information!! Your comments have helped me to be even more excited about my first stay at CBR this August.

70's Disneyland & FW with parents & Off-Site with HS marching band / Aug 2000 ASMo & DxL & Universal Off-Site / Jul 2001 ASMu / Aug 2006 POP / Jul 2008 POP & Universal HRH / Aug 2010 CBR & Universal RPR
Old 06-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #37
Ilovedis30
Mouseketeer

Love this !!! I will be arriving at CBR next thursday july 8th!!!!! and I cannot tell u how helpful this has been, so Thank You I'm going crazy during these last days and reading up on CBR helps alot
Old 06-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #38
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by griergirl2 View Post
Well we have decided to switch this time. Now we are doing three nights at All Star Movies Preferred Room with 2 day tickets and free dining and then switching to The Contemporary (Magic Kingdom View) for the last two nights Maybe we'll do CBR one of these years This way we don't have to worry about food costs and we get to do two park days!! Since we were paying OOP for food before, we pretty much ended up with the same expences overall. Quite excited for this completely out of the blue trip!
I hope you have a great time! I don't want anyone to not stay at CBR because of our bus experiences - it was a great resort, and from everything I heard, we were an anomaly!

Quote:
I'm so glad you had a good experience - I know they had figured the bus issues we experienced out by the time we had left! Now that DH is hooked on Disney, maybe you can get back there sooner than you thought!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #39
Ilovedis30
Mouseketeer

Quick question, help please

So I'm about to do my online check in but before that I want to call in my room requests. I did not book preferred so the closest to OPR that I can ask for is Jamaica 45? and what else?

TIA
Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #40
hockey mom
Loves to do the Napkin Dance at Chef Mickeys!
That's what I call soaking up the atmosphere

Great information- Thanks

We are staying in a Pirate room with our grandson this Sept.- can't wait.

We are renting a car so not worried about the bus issue.

I think my grandson is going to have a blast at that pirate ship play area pool.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #41
rjvose17
Mouseketeer

Quick few questions,

My dh, and two dd's 7 & 4 at the time of travel are going to be staying for the first time at CBR. We either stay off site in a condo with our exchange, or a rented villa, or we have stayed at Coronado Springs & Pop Century. We went in 2005 at Coronado and liked it. We went to PC in 2009 and liked it. We didn't love either one. We just returned 5/30/10 from staying offsite at Sheraton Vistana and loved everything about that except the location. We just enjoy the magic of being on disney property, it's hard to explain but I am sure there are a few out there that know what I am talking about. Disney's accomodations are ( I feel ) fair at best, for the amount of money you pay, but it's almost made up by the atmosphere they create. Therefore I am torn this trip. Currently we are booked for CBR Dec 12th - 17th, at a rate of 647.36 tax included. I am not sure where we are staying but my questions are.... would it be worth the extra money to upgrade our room? The pirate rooms look cool, but I have heard the beds are just foam and not that comfortable, so are they worth it? I am struggling here because the first week of our trip we are staying at the Vistana again and decided to do the second week on property, however if we stayed at a value resort we could get that for 385.45 for the same dates as CBR. I guess my main question is does this resort really live up to the hype? If I had unlimited money I would without question stay at Animal Kingdom or the Grand Floridian, but that's just not in the budget this year. So what would you all do?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #42
ILoveMickeyandMinnie
Mouseketeer

I'm eagerly waiting for anyone to answer your question. We are in the same boat as you staying the exact same days! I have a pirate room booked because my kids really wanted to stay there, but looking at a value resorts price difference its hard to not change and save the money. I have stayed at CBR before I had kids back in 99' and I love the resort... but I'm not positive I can justify the money. So someone convince me its worth it!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #43
Ilovedis30
Mouseketeer

Ok so I did the online check in and I requested either Jamaica 45 or Aruba 51, hopefully I will get put in 1 of the 2 areas. If not I'm fine with that. My dd is 12 so even though we'll be tired a little walking won't be an issue. I already received the online check in confirmation and now I'm super excited. Just need a few last minute toiletries, my coffee and filters and I'm good to go.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #44
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvose17 View Post
Quick few questions,

My dh, and two dd's 7 & 4 at the time of travel are going to be staying for the first time at CBR. We either stay off site in a condo with our exchange, or a rented villa, or we have stayed at Coronado Springs & Pop Century. We went in 2005 at Coronado and liked it. We went to PC in 2009 and liked it. We didn't love either one. We just returned 5/30/10 from staying offsite at Sheraton Vistana and loved everything about that except the location. We just enjoy the magic of being on disney property, it's hard to explain but I am sure there are a few out there that know what I am talking about. Disney's accomodations are ( I feel ) fair at best, for the amount of money you pay, but it's almost made up by the atmosphere they create. Therefore I am torn this trip. Currently we are booked for CBR Dec 12th - 17th, at a rate of 647.36 tax included. I am not sure where we are staying but my questions are.... would it be worth the extra money to upgrade our room? The pirate rooms look cool, but I have heard the beds are just foam and not that comfortable, so are they worth it? I am struggling here because the first week of our trip we are staying at the Vistana again and decided to do the second week on property, however if we stayed at a value resort we could get that for 385.45 for the same dates as CBR. I guess my main question is does this resort really live up to the hype? If I had unlimited money I would without question stay at Animal Kingdom or the Grand Floridian, but that's just not in the budget this year. So what would you all do?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMickeyandMinnie View Post
I'm eagerly waiting for anyone to answer your question. We are in the same boat as you staying the exact same days! I have a pirate room booked because my kids really wanted to stay there, but looking at a value resorts price difference its hard to not change and save the money. I have stayed at CBR before I had kids back in 99' and I love the resort... but I'm not positive I can justify the money. So someone convince me its worth it!

I can give you my opinions!

We choose a moderate over a value for several reasons; larger rooms (CBR's being the largest), less cement and more trees, better pools and pool slides (CBR's being the best!), marina's and extra activities, ceiling fan in room, double sinks in bathroom(except CSR), shaded bus stops, refrigerator in room at no extra cost, and just an overall more relaxed feel. All that being said, if we were a family who got up at the crack of dawn and went to the parks all day everyday then a value would be just fine for us, and it would be worth it to save the money. But we take our vacation at a more relaxed pace and only do the parks in half days and spend a lot of time at our resort. So I guess it just depends on what type of vacation you have planned.

As far as what to book at CBR - we have booked standard both times we have stayed there and once we were in Jamaica and once in Aruba. Both were great locations and we had an under 5 minute walk to OPR and to a bus stop. I don't think I would ever book preferred, because the walks from the standard rooms aren't all that far. But some people love preferred. I wouldn't ever book waterview, as there are no balconies and we don't usually sit and look out our window. I do however plan to book a POTC room the next time we stay at CBR (hopefully 2011!). I think they look very cool and would love to stay in one at least once!

Hope that helps!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #45
disneykris2001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2taylorandemily View Post
Thanks Safetymom!!! It looks wonderful as usual!!!! Our trip is finally getting closer!!!
Just a bit off topic, but I wanted to thank your for your reply to my post on CBR FAQ part IV about "RAC". Your info helped a lot!

I also noticed that you are going to CBR in August. My DH and I will be celebrating my 45th Birthday there from August 8 - August 12. Maybe we'll run into you you! Also, oddly enough, I have a 13 year old daughter and a nearly 10 year old daughter! Anyway, thanks for the info!

Kristine Thomas (DH) Nicole 16 (DD) Gabby 13 (DD)
Disney's Contemporary - Dec 1975 Off Site - 1984 Viscount Hotel - April 1986 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Sept 2001 Wilderness Lodge - July 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - November 2006 Pop Century - November 2007 All Star Movie Resort - October 2009 Caribbean Beach Resort - August 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter - August 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge - March 2012 Day Trip to MK - August 2012
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: