Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #2461
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran
 
mickeystoontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bayou Country, La.
Posts: 24,163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Here come the questions

I have literally traveled the world over but as I get older I get more concerned about my safety. I will be traveling alone and have reserved the cheapest room available. Is there any particular location I should request? I usually request anything but a 'ground floor' room when I travel alone but is there anything else? Or maybe I'm safer at Disney than the local Hampton Inns in a 'regular' city?

Thanks!
My mother (she's 78) traveled with us to WDW the last two trips and we stayed at the CBR. She thought about going with us again this year and staying alone at the CBR while we were on our Disney cruise. She said that she felt perfectly safe staying there while we were in the parks or when she decided to sleep in. We were in Jamaica 41 on one trip and Jamaica 42 on the other.
__________________
2014 pre-trip report: Doesn't everybody have Disney on speed dial? Seriously? Mickeystoontown does! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3258703
2013 trip report: 1 crazy family+2 resorts+5 parks+1 snake+1 surprise= A Mickeystoontown Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3122381



mickeystoontown is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #2462
matt&jakesmom
DIS Veteran
 
matt&jakesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,954

Looks like we are heading back CBR. The last time we stayed there was back in 2001. My boys were 5 and 3 at the time. They don't remember it and want to go back. My DH is concerned on how it's so spread out but it we dealt with CSR last year, I think we can handle CBR.
__________________
matt&jakesmom is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #2463
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic
 
Tinkerbellie16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mile High Rockies
Posts: 3,743

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
My mother (she's 78) traveled with us to WDW the last two trips and we stayed at the CBR. She thought about going with us again this year and staying alone at the CBR while we were on our Disney cruise. She said that she felt perfectly safe staying there while we were in the parks or when she decided to sleep in. We were in Jamaica 41 on one trip and Jamaica 42 on the other.
Thank you! That is reassuring
__________________
DH ME DS (11) DD (10)


6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #2464
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran
 
mickeystoontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bayou Country, La.
Posts: 24,163

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt&jakesmom View Post
Looks like we are heading back CBR. The last time we stayed there was back in 2001. My boys were 5 and 3 at the time. They don't remember it and want to go back. My DH is concerned on how it's so spread out but it we dealt with CSR last year, I think we can handle CBR.
I think your boys are going to love the new pool at the CBR. If you handled the size of CSR well, then I would think you'd have no problems with the CBR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Thank you! That is reassuring
You're welcome! I've walked the resort promenade in the evenings and always felt safe.
__________________
2014 pre-trip report: Doesn't everybody have Disney on speed dial? Seriously? Mickeystoontown does! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3258703
2013 trip report: 1 crazy family+2 resorts+5 parks+1 snake+1 surprise= A Mickeystoontown Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3122381



mickeystoontown is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #2465
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran
 
GetGlowing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The mountains of Northeast Tennessee
Posts: 1,319

I was just looking at the CBR map and noticed how far the check-in at Customs House is from so many rooms. When you arrive via Magical Express, do they shuttle you to your room after checking in?
__________________
Follow my travels via Twitter: xrae


GetGlowing is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #2466
ifightfortheusers
Earning My Ears
 
ifightfortheusers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
I was just looking at the CBR map and noticed how far the check-in at Customs House is from so many rooms. When you arrive via Magical Express, do they shuttle you to your room after checking in?
There is an internal shuttle (Disney Transportation bus) that can take you to your island bus stop. You could also use bell services which will take you in a van to your building.
__________________
Disney College Program - Quick Service Food & Beverage: Fall & Winter 2011



Me DFiancé (engaged at AK 02/05/12) Oz
ifightfortheusers is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #2467
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran
 
GetGlowing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The mountains of Northeast Tennessee
Posts: 1,319

Thank you!
__________________
Follow my travels via Twitter: xrae


GetGlowing is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #2468
cosmicwaves
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13

Jan 28-Feb 4

We got back on Saturday from a week at CBR. I had requested ground floor, Jamaica. We were given ground floor, Martinique 21. Dancers were checking in later in the week, and would be staying in Jamaica, so I guess it was full.
Our building was about a 5 minute walk to OPR (or 2 hours with a toddler)
I really enjoyed the resort...peaceful, beautiful, clean. I walked around, and really would have preferred to be in Jamaica or Aruba, or even one of the closer Barbados buildings. I didn't get the same "warm" feeling from Martinique as I did in the other villages...not sure why. Maybe it was the cooler blue color of the buildings, but it just had a different feel to it.

My only complaint was that none of the pools were heated, not even the main pool. Well, maybe not all, but I felt the pools in Martinique, Barbados, Aruba, and the main pool, and they were cold. They were so cold that despite it being 80+ degrees out, I couldn't go in. My 2 year old swam with her dad for a while, but started shivering. Very disappointing. We were told by our bellman that all pools are heated to 83 degrees, but that was certainly not the case. Not sure what was going on...I didn't ask. Maybe I should have, but I just sent a comment to Disney about it...we'll see what they say.
Aside from that, it was a perfect stay. I loved all of the choices in the food court.

Last edited by cosmicwaves; 02-08-2012 at 10:11 AM.
cosmicwaves is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #2469
jaywalker17
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicwaves View Post
We got back on Saturday from a week at CBR. I had requested ground floor, Jamaica. We were given ground floor, Martinique 21. Dancers were checking in later in the week, and would be staying in Jamaica, so I guess it was full.
Our building was about a 5 minute walk to OPR (or 2 hours with a toddler)
I really enjoyed the resort...peaceful, beautiful, clean. I walked around, and really would have preferred to be in Jamaica or Aruba, or even one of the closer Barbados buildings. I didn't get the same "warm" feeling from Martinique as I did in the other villages...not sure why. Maybe it was the cooler blue color of the buildings, but it just had a different feel to it.

My only complaint was that none of the pools were heated, not even the main pool. Well, maybe not all, but I felt the pools in Martinique, Barbados, Aruba, and the main pool, and they were cold. They were so cold that despite it being 80+ degrees out, I couldn't go in. My 2 year old swam with her dad for a while, but started shivering. Very disappointing. We were told by our bellman that all pools are heated to 83 degrees, but that was certainly not the case. Not sure what was going on...I didn't ask. Maybe I should have, but I just sent a comment to Disney about it...we'll see what they say.
Aside from that, it was a perfect stay. I loved all of the choices in the food court.
We just got back from CBR also. Trust me, you did not want to be in Jamaica with the dance teams. Our room was there and after a sleepless night of teenage girls chattering outside the room we asked to be moved and were very happy with our new room in Martinque.

The quiet pools in both Jamaica and Martinque were heated but we also noticed that the main pool was not. It was very cold, thus we did not get any use out of it.
jaywalker17 is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #2470
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicwaves View Post
My only complaint was that none of the pools were heated, not even the main pool. Well, maybe not all, but I felt the pools in Martinique, Barbados, Aruba, and the main pool, and they were cold. They were so cold that despite it being 80+ degrees out, I couldn't go in. My 2 year old swam with her dad for a while, but started shivering. Very disappointing. We were told by our bellman that all pools are heated to 83 degrees, but that was certainly not the case. Not sure what was going on...I didn't ask. Maybe I should have, but I just sent a comment to Disney about it...we'll see what they say.
Aside from that, it was a perfect stay. I loved all of the choices in the food court.
I'm really suprised to hear you say this, as we just got back from 6 days there yesterday afternoon, and DS, DH, and I all spent HOURS in the main pool and the kid's splash pool, and found that it was plenty warm. It wasn't "hot tub" warm, but it was clearly heated and more than warm enough to swim.

We had a great trip, and I love, love, loved the pool. It was perfect for my almost 3 year old DS. We stayed at Yacht Club on our last trip, so I was worried aobut being disappointed in CBR, but we had a wonderful time.
DopeyDame is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #2471
happywifeandmom
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 57

Question Beaches at CBR . . .

at this point the only thing that is keeping me from finalizing our trip to stay at CBR is that it would appear that there is no swimming on the beaches? can that be true? my daughter LOVES the beach and is on the autism spectrum and it would be REALLY hard to keep her out of the water.

anyone?
happywifeandmom is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #2472
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 20,885

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywifeandmom View Post
at this point the only thing that is keeping me from finalizing our trip to stay at CBR is that it would appear that there is no swimming on the beaches? can that be true? my daughter LOVES the beach and is on the autism spectrum and it would be REALLY hard to keep her out of the water.

anyone?
Sorry, there's no swimming in any of the lakes at WDW. Gators and snakes and amoeba in the water.
Momof2Disneyboys is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #2473
happywifeandmom
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Sorry, there's no swimming in any of the lakes at WDW. Gators and snakes and amoeba in the water.
well, ok, that will surely keep US out of the water . . .
happywifeandmom is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #2474
anabelle
Did I say that out loud?
 
anabelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern Virgina, Close to our nation's capital
Posts: 1,130

Just booked CBR for our June trip. I was going to be a budget girls only trip for DD14 and myself. But now my hubby has caught the Disney bug too and will be coming with us. He has been working so hard this year, so I want him to relax.

We have stayed all over, but mostly at POR and OKW. Strangely, we have never even visited CBR. So I am trying to get a feel for the resort. I love all the pictures that I have seen so far. But all the reviews are mixed. But what do you all do to really relax at the end of a long WDW day?

Ana
anabelle is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #2475
dansdad
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Current Home of the Stanley Cup!!
Posts: 4,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabelle View Post
So I am trying to get a feel for the resort. I love all the pictures that I have seen so far. But all the reviews are mixed. But what do you all do to really relax at the end of a long WDW day?

Ana
You can find good and bad reviews for almost all the WDW resorts. I don't think there's one resort that will fit everyone. We love CBR. Our favorite thing to do after a long day at the parks was to head to the Main Pool. DW and I would grab a drink at the Banana Cabana and slip into one of the hot tubs while DS swam. The main pool/hot tubs never close and the Banana Cabana is open until Midnight. On our way back to our room we would walk on one of the many beaches. Something very relaxing about walking on sand barefoot when you have tired aching feet. Or enjoy one of the many hammocks while star gazing.
__________________
ME DW DS12
dansdad is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: