Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #2176
staticgirl50
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
My family and I loved CBR. If you don't want to pay extra for a preferred location, I would suggest Jamaica 45 or Aruba 51. We stayed in Jamaic 45 and it was a 5 minute walk over to the Food Court and main pool, and less than that to the bus stop.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/cbrmap.htm
Thank You! I will call and request this too!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #2177
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Caribbean Beach now has free wi fi at Shutters, Old Port Royale Food Court, Goombay Games, Calypso Trading Post and the Straw Market.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #2178
MagicKisses2
Mouseketeer

My hubby is going to be thrilled with this! Thank you!

2015 Jan '15 TBD - Did he really sign up for the Goofy Challenge?! ASMo Oct '13 - ToT 10 miler CBR Jan '12 - Official 5th trip and second half marathon! POP Jan '10 - Wayne's first Disney Half Marathon CSR Jan '08 - winter get-a-way POFQ Dec '06 - 1st anniversary AKL Nov '05 - honeymoon
Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #2179
dis_guy
DIS Veteran

I wonder if you could pick the wireless up from the nearby resort rooms? Anyway, it's a start!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #2180
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
Caribbean Beach now has free wi fi at Shutters, Old Port Royale Food Court, Goombay Games, Calypso Trading Post and the Straw Market.
Woo Hoo!!!! Is this going to be permanent?

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
Old 12-21-2011, 03:58 AM   #2181
Dan183
"we've got our heading!"

Tips/Secrets

Hi all, we will be staying at CBR march 3-10 and I have 3 DD's ages 7, 5, and 2. We are booked for a preferred room in Martinique, just wondering if anyone has any time saving or "wish we would have done that" tips they could share.
Thanks!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #2182
RHMH
When I retire, I want to get a real job and work for Disney

Location: Born In (Setagaya, Tokyo) Now Living In Fort Worth, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan183 View Post
Hi all, we will be staying at CBR march 3-10 and I have 3 DD's ages 7, 5, and 2. We are booked for a preferred room in Martinique, just wondering if anyone has any time saving or "wish we would have done that" tips they could share.
Thanks!
Good Morning - Is this your first visit? If so I would advise you and the family go through all of the Character involved dining opportunities you are wanting to experience and make reservations asap.

My DD and I love Mickey's Backyard BBQ and Chef Mickey at the Contemporary.

Special Thanks To The July 2014 Diser's - Click The Link - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3285857 Look -------- 2014 DLR July Diser's
DD's You Tube Channel --https://www.youtube.com/user/awesomecookie1010

Link to RHMH - July 2014 Disneyland Trip Report Thread -- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3302724

DD 14 ME 55 April 2nd --24 yr old - Issac --------------- Us To Disney ---------------
WDW 2002, WDW 2003, Tokyo Disney 2003, WDW 2004, Paris Disney 2004, WDW 2005, WDW 2006, WDW 2007, WDW 2008, WDW 2009, WDW 2010, WDW 2011, WDW 2012, WDW 2013
(July 2014 DLR - Extended Stay America - Garden Walk Area)
Old 12-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #2183
Dan183
"we've got our heading!"

First time at CBR but we went down last Feb. and stayed off property. We have a lot of character dinings lined up because we got the free dining plan in our package. My girls love Akershus in Epcot and Chef Mickeys of course. Looking for more of insider Resort tips. Thanks for the response!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #2184
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2taylorandemily View Post
Woo Hoo!!!! Is this going to be permanent?
Yes it is.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #2185
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan183 View Post
First time at CBR but we went down last Feb. and stayed off property. We have a lot of character dinings lined up because we got the free dining plan in our package. My girls love Akershus in Epcot and Chef Mickeys of course. Looking for more of insider Resort tips. Thanks for the response!
If you have some time to spend at the resort, I'd suggest renting a surrey bike or bicycle from the resort marina. We usually rent the surrey bike for a half hour and that allows us to make two loops around the resort. We rented both a surrey bike and a bicycle this past trip and my son rode around the resort at least a half dozen times within the hour rented time.

At night, you can see the higher Epcot fireworks from Old Port Royale, the Martinique beach, the island and from several other spots in the resort. We like to watch from the picnic tables at Old Port Royale.

As far as the food court goes, our favorites are the Reuben sandwich, the soup and breadsticks from the pizza station and the fresh baked items from the grab n go section.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #2186
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

3 days til we check in for our first visit. I can't wait ! Just booked a late lunch in Japan for Christmas day since we are spending the day in Epcot and yesterday we booked the "Me Pirate Adventure" for our two boys and they will set that up on the 26th while we spend the majority of the day at DisneyQuest. I will be writing on my blog or at least posting pics daily and then will transcribe the trip report here from there, or at least links to it. Woohoo !! getting away from this cold !
Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #2187
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Review with Pictures:

Here's a quicky review of our stay. We were there from November 10th to the 20th. I finally got to our resort day on my TR, and thought I would post an excerpt here:

Now is as good a time as any to talk about this resort. As anyone following my TR knew, I was a bit skeptical about staying here. Realistically I was concerned about three things versus our preferred location at POFQ – the multiple bus stops, the size of the bed (full instead of queen), and size of the resort. The first two were not even remotely an issue, there was one time that the multiple bus-stops seemed to really slow us down, but otherwise it was not a problem at all.

In the end, the size of the resort was completely canceled out by the fact that we were lucky enough to be upgraded to “preferred” location in Martinique. We were so close to the center of the resort it was ridiculous. Here are two shots I took standing in one spot, the first I faced one way and took a picture of our room. The second I faced the other way and took a picture of Port Royale (just behind the trees in the middle).

It was probably about 60 seconds from our room to the food court, and maybe 2 minutes to the main pool. We were probably closer to the main pool than the quiet pool. However, after staying preferred, I would have to say this might be a case where I would pay for the same privilege in the future. We walked around the resort a bit on our last day, and there are quite a few room locations that would be very, very far from the main hotel, and even quite a few that would far from a bus stop.

To the positives, we really liked the Old Port Royale set-up. The food court was very good for lunch/dinner with quite a bit of selection. Breakfast at usual was wholly mediocre (our one main criticism). The pool was very nice, and the activities they staged at the pool were great and went on for a good portion of the day (from 1 PM pool games, to a marshmallow roast, to into the evening with movies on the big screen each night). There was also some other activities such as boat/bike rentals that we didn’t take advantage of. The staff was absolutely wonderful, and we never had any problems at all.

DD also tried the Pirates adventure cruise on our last day. I have not yet posted pictures of this, but will come back and do that at a later date.

We’ve now stayed at 4 Disney Resorts (AKL, POFQ, Pop Century and now CBR). I would in fact recommend all four to anyone, as we had great experiences at all of them. To rank them would even be difficult. Pop Century is obviously for a more modest budget, and while we had great stays there, I would certainly prefer the mods, but would not object to going back. AKL is of course an amazing experience, but there were a few negatives there and would only recommend that stay as an extravagance. Of the two mods, I still would say I prefer POFQ personally, but if I were coming again with young children (a likely prospect) I would probably pick CBR for having a better pool and more activities surrounding it. It was propably DD second favorite after AKL.

The stairs up to the big (dark) slide.

The view from the parapet:

Coming out of the slide:

The bigger slide exit:

The smaller slide:

There was also a “splash” area designated for little kids. DD never actually tried to go there, but later in the trip we noticed you had to be under 48”, which she wasn’t anymore, and there wouldn’t have been able to go.

Christmas decorations went up when we were there. They were somewhat sparse, but I thought appropriate…it’s not a resort that screams “Christmas!”

Thank you for all the great posts on this thread. I read them extensively when deciding whether to jump from POFQ to CBR to save some money. In the end, I was very glad we did, and we would even keep this on our list for a possible return trip.

SkierPete

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
Old 12-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #2188
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

I'm so excited! My girls and I are going to stay at CBR for 9 nights in February, in a pirate themed room. We're all pirate junkies, and are very excited about the theme. After reading the posts here and seeing the pictures I'm even more excited! Thanks everyone!

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
Old 12-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #2189
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Thank you skier_pete! I also have the same concerns about CBR and it's great to hear your honest opinion. I MIGHT be staying here next July - we are still working it all out. If we are able to go, I want to stay here so I'm keeping an eye on the thread and all the great info. Thanks!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 12-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #2190
WallE
Mouseketeer

We booked CBR a few weeks ago. I was concerend about the size of the beds compared to POFQ. It looks like a great child-friendly resort though.

WDW Vacations:
January 2008: All-Star Sports
May 2009: Pop Century
October 2010: Port Orleans FQ
May/June 2012: Caribbean Beach Resort
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: