Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #76
miatamel
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Deep South
Posts: 736

Trying to figure this out...

We come into Orlando the day before our Disney cruise. We have a HP fanatic and thought it would be silly not to see TWWoHP while we were so class. Trying to figure it out logistically. We get into Orlando and 11 am and will get to our Disney resort around 12-12:30 (guessing). We were going to get one day, one park tickets and go the friday afternoon of 12/17. I had my TA give me a price on tickets and transportation (Mears)and she told me $469. One day one park online for the four of us would be $341. So that is $120 for transporting to/from which sounds kind of high. But the big problem is the "not between 10-3" since we would probably want to go around 1-3.


Does this, in fact, seem high? Or would taxi be more RT for the 4 of us? Or should I try another mode of transport? Or, even more basically, is the HP park even doable in that afternoon/evening time frame? (Not interested in any other part of the park)

any advice would be most appreciated.
miatamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #77
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamel View Post
Trying to figure this out...

We come into Orlando the day before our Disney cruise. We have a HP fanatic and thought it would be silly not to see TWWoHP while we were so class. Trying to figure it out logistically. We get into Orlando and 11 am and will get to our Disney resort around 12-12:30 (guessing). We were going to get one day, one park tickets and go the friday afternoon of 12/17. I had my TA give me a price on tickets and transportation (Mears)and she told me $469. One day one park online for the four of us would be $341. So that is $120 for transporting to/from which sounds kind of high. But the big problem is the "not between 10-3" since we would probably want to go around 1-3.


Does this, in fact, seem high? Or would taxi be more RT for the 4 of us? Or should I try another mode of transport? Or, even more basically, is the HP park even doable in that afternoon/evening time frame? (Not interested in any other part of the park)

any advice would be most appreciated.
Have you checked what time the park closes? I thought that those Universal parks closed pretty early, and if you don't leave to go there till after 1, I don't think it will be worth the money.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #78
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,259

Mears should be $16 per person return.

A cab is about $35 each way.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #79
miatamel
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Deep South
Posts: 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
$100 should be the amount for transportation. If you can't get a limo to do it for that, just take a cab.
Would this be roundtrip?

And is the $$ for tickets worth it if we only have basically half a day? I mean, I KNOW my daughter will think it's worth it, but just trying to be practical.

ETA: Just saw the above post about the round trip and your reply on the other thread about the practicality. Thanks so much!

Last edited by miatamel; 10-13-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: redundancy :)
miatamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #80
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,259

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamel View Post
Would this be roundtrip?

And is the $$ for tickets worth it if we only have basically half a day? I mean, I KNOW my daughter will think it's worth it, but just trying to be practical.
Sorry, I thought you were coming from the airport but I reread to see you were coming from Disney.

Mears round trip is $16/person

Cab is about $35 each way.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #81
miatamel
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Deep South
Posts: 736

Damo, we have ME from airport to resort/resort to port/port to airport but I thought I could rethink that and get a service from airport to WWofHP and shave some time but then I'd have a luggage problem. Unless you know of a solution.
miatamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #82
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,259

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamel View Post
Damo, we have ME from airport to resort/resort to port/port to airport but I thought I could rethink that and get a service from airport to WWofHP and shave some time but then I'd have a luggage problem. Unless you know of a solution.
I'm just going to respond in the other thread. No sense having two going.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #83
miatamel
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Deep South
Posts: 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
I'm just going to respond in the other thread. No sense having two going.
Ha! Thanks. Just didn't want to get in trouble over there since technically we aren't discussing "crowds."
miatamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #84
Irish9697
Mouseketeer
 
Irish9697's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 388

Can someone help me decide what to do? I want the cheapest option that is also convenient (aka no 2 hours on a bus system). It is not important that we see 2 parks in one day. We did Universal Studios a few years ag go and are wanting to go this time only for Harry Potter, so that's IOA. We are staying at Pop Century. Seems to me that buying 1 park tickets from AAA (1 adult, 2 kids) and taking a cab is our cheapest option (by about $50 compared to the DU 2 park/transport deal) or am I understanding things wrong? I hate the idea of having to make all those phone calls to Mears when I could simply walk out of my hotel (can I do this at Pop?) or park (IOA) and get a cab fairly quickly.

Thoughts?
__________________
me 39 ds 14 dd 13
4 kitties & 1 awesome dog

4 times before kids...CR & CBR, With kids...3/04 Hyatt Grand Cypress & AKL, 1/05 ASMo & AKL, 10/07 ASMu, 3/09 CBR, 10/09 POFQ & the Wonder, 5/10 Wonder w/ MawMaw, 12/10 Pop, 12/11 Dream w/MawMaw & PawPaw, ASSP 8/12, DL offsite Candy Cane Inn 2/13, CSR 10/13, WL 12/13, AOA 5/14, Fantasy 5/14....plans for Disneyland in 2015 & Magic 12/15...
Irish9697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #85
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!
 
Cdn Friends of Pooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, AB Canada
Posts: 6,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish9697 View Post
Can someone help me decide what to do? I want the cheapest option that is also convenient (aka no 2 hours on a bus system). It is not important that we see 2 parks in one day. We did Universal Studios a few years ag go and are wanting to go this time only for Harry Potter, so that's IOA. We are staying at Pop Century. Seems to me that buying 1 park tickets from AAA (1 adult, 2 kids) and taking a cab is our cheapest option (by about $50 compared to the DU 2 park/transport deal) or am I understanding things wrong? I hate the idea of having to make all those phone calls to Mears when I could simply walk out of my hotel (can I do this at Pop?) or park (IOA) and get a cab fairly quickly.

Thoughts?
If you want convenience, then yes, taxi/cab is the way to go. If there are no cabs outside of Pop, you can always get the concierge desk to call one for you. There are tons of cabs waiting outside of Universal.
__________________



Last edited by Cdn Friends of Pooh; 10-27-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Cdn Friends of Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #86
Jenny Wren
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 242

Is the Lynx public transportation really that bad? We are leaving in 6 days for Disney, and my pap just told us that he wanted to buy us US tickets for our Christmas gift. Now I am stuck planning more. It would be so much easier taking the Lynx system. Does it really take forever to get there?
Jenny Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #87
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Wren View Post
Is the Lynx public transportation really that bad? We are leaving in 6 days for Disney, and my pap just told us that he wanted to buy us US tickets for our Christmas gift. Now I am stuck planning more. It would be so much easier taking the Lynx system. Does it really take forever to get there?
From everything I have read, yes, it does take a long time to go each way.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #88
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Wren View Post
Is the Lynx public transportation really that bad? We are leaving in 6 days for Disney, and my pap just told us that he wanted to buy us US tickets for our Christmas gift. Now I am stuck planning more. It would be so much easier taking the Lynx system. Does it really take forever to get there?
I've heard 1.5 - 2 hours each way.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #89
weber1188
Kid at Heart
 
weber1188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 68

Not sure if anyone is still watching this board but this is the game plan I came up with for my mom and I (dad and brother will be golfing)

Arrange for Mears to pick us up at 7:30 a.m. from CSR to IOA/WWOHP to allow for extra time if they pick up other people after us

Ask for a 2:00 or 3:00 pick up time from IOA to either CSR or DTD we have no dining reservations anywhere so don't have to worry about that

Does this sound ok, I'm mostly wondering if 7:30 is too early for the 9:00 opening?
__________________
(DD)45 & (DM)45 (Me)22 (DB)16 Cooper
Previous Disney Trips
Jan. 2003-WDW (CBR)
Jan. 2006-WDL
Coming Up
Dec. 2010-WDW (CSR)
weber1188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #90
Irish9697
Mouseketeer
 
Irish9697's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 388

I ended up making a Mears reservation for Friday. Pick up times at Disney Resorts are hourly starting at 6:25am through 2:25pm.

Return times are hourly from 3:15pm through 2:15 am.

I chose the 7:25am pick up time for this Friday the 17th and they told me I could call 2 hours in advance for a pick up time since I am not sure when we'll want to leave. IOA park hours Friday are 9-7...we'll probably eat at CityWalk before we head back.
__________________
me 39 ds 14 dd 13
4 kitties & 1 awesome dog

4 times before kids...CR & CBR, With kids...3/04 Hyatt Grand Cypress & AKL, 1/05 ASMo & AKL, 10/07 ASMu, 3/09 CBR, 10/09 POFQ & the Wonder, 5/10 Wonder w/ MawMaw, 12/10 Pop, 12/11 Dream w/MawMaw & PawPaw, ASSP 8/12, DL offsite Candy Cane Inn 2/13, CSR 10/13, WL 12/13, AOA 5/14, Fantasy 5/14....plans for Disneyland in 2015 & Magic 12/15...
Irish9697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: