Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
srobinet
Mouseketeer

Universal Studios Questions Please Help

We have a trip planned mid October. We have not been to Universal Studios in years. I think King Kong was still in place, Earthquake and Jaws definitely.

1. Is it possible to see most of the main rides/shows at Universal's in 5 or 6 hours? We are not roller coaster fans.

2. Do the simulator rides Simpson's and others compare to Star Tours as far as motion sickness? I love Star Tours but anything more than that I probably would not like. Two of my family members have back problems so are there any simulators we should stay away from? I know Dinosaur at HS is quite jerky.

3. Is there such a thing as rope drop at US? My aunt has never been to Universal and my mom absolutely loves ET, ok I Love it too. That is where we will head first.

4. Is Earthquake still around or whatever ride it was that had the tram and tractor trailer overturned or something like that and water came rushing down somewhere. I can't remember it's been too many years.

5. How long would it take us to get back to Pop Century driving our own car? We have dinner reservations at 5:15 at the Poly.

Sorry for all of the questions but I hope someone can help.

Last edited by srobinet; 09-13-2014 at 10:01 PM. Reason: left out a word
srobinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobinet View Post
We have a trip planned mid October. We have not been to Universal Studios in years. I think King Kong was still in place, Earthquake and Jaws definitely.

1. Is it possible to see most of the main rides/shows at Universal's in 5 or 6 hours? We are not roller coaster fans.

2. Do the simulator rides Simpson's and others compare to Star Tours as far as motion sickness? I love Star Tours but anything more than that I probably would not like. Two of my family members have back problems so are there any simulators we should stay away from? I know Dinosaur at HS is quite jerky.

3. Is there such a thing as rope drop at US? My aunt has never been to Universal and my mom absolutely loves ET, ok I Love it too. That is where we will head first.

4. Is Earthquake still around or whatever ride it was that had the tram and tractor trailer overturned or something like that and water came rushing down somewhere. I can't remember it's been too many years.

5. How long would it take us to get back to Pop Century driving our own car? We have dinner reservations at 5:15 at the Poly.

Hi again

1. Are we talking both parks? Universal and IOA? or just Universal? If both parks, no. If only one park, maybe. Mid October, shouldn't be super busy, of course that depends on if its a weekday, or weekend, when the locals (like me) are there.

2. I have trouble with the Simpsons, Transformers, Spiderman, Harry Potter and the new Gringotts. However, for me if I close my eyes, I'm ok, it's the combination of the two that get me. Personally I find the Simpsons to be the absolute worst.

3. I'm not sure on this one, being local, I sleep in. (sorry)

4. Earthquake is now called Disaster, but it's still there.

5. I answered this on the other thread.

P.S. I have family coming in mid October as well, and I'm taking a few vacation days to show them around. Maybe I'll see ya, even if I don't see ya. Happy Vacationing.
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
iheartglaciers
Mouseketeer

I just did both parks in about 8 hours but didn't go on all of the rides. It depends what your interest level is for rides. I went mainly for the two Harry Potter parts.

Going at the time of year there were virtually no lines. And the few lines we hit we used Express Passes for (we got them free because we stayed on premise one night).

As for rope drop, get there 30 mins before opening. You'll see people lined up like at Disney.
iheartglaciers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
srobinet
Mouseketeer

Minerva Mouse, it's just Universal not Islands of Adventure. We will be going on a Friday. Is the Simpson's jerky with dips like Back To The Future Was or mainly more like Star Tours?
Old 09-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

for #4, i think you are talking about Twister.

in mid october, after the 15th, hell week will occur.

you will see some crowds during those days.

(schools are out for a few days during the week and quite a few hit the parks)

wedneday and thursday at mid october will have the studios closing at 5 for HHN that night.
you won't be there that late but the time prior could have more peeps there creating longer wait times for rides.

use the single rider lines if the stand by lines are long.

allow yourself 20 minutes from the time you start to leave the park until you reach your car in the parking garage.
if you are driving back to Pop, give yourself 30 minutes to get there once you leave the parking garage.

also, since you are taking the bus from Pop to MK and then to the Poly, allow yourself an hour for that transportation time.

with all that in mind, give yourself 2 hours to make your dinner reservation.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Minerva Mouse, it's just Universal not Islands of Adventure. We will be going on a Friday. Is the Simpson's jerky with dips like Back To The Future Was or mainly more like Star Tours?
i'm not minerva mouse but can say that the simpsons use the same vehicle that BTTF did.

i think the simpsons ride vehicle is a lot more smoother than what was there before, not as jerky.

it's the same type of theme as the ride vehicle has movements that match the show on the screen.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:41 AM   #7
srobinet
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for all the help.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
AustinWells
Mad Man

Quote:

Quote:
1. Yes it is! head towards transformers, minions and harry potter first, and the other rides and shows will be walk ons.

2. Simpsons is no where near as jerky as dinosaur, but ive heard of alot of people get motion sick on it. just depends if you can handle it or not. its comparable to star tours.

3. there is rope drop, as pp stated, id get there at least 30 minutes before, and while its totally up to you, but id think twice about doing ET first, that ride is always a walk on and rides like transformers and minions and HP will have low wait times early in the day.

4. yes its called disaster now.also a walk on, youll have to wait long enough for the next show to start, thats all.

5. yes id give at least 2 hours to get back to your reservation, but if you hit US at rope drop, i think youll be able to do everything minus the two coasters (rockit and mummy) by 3 o clock and then be at your reservation on time

HAVE A BLAST!

AustinWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

If you get motion sickness, I wouldn't ride Simpsons. I couldn't wait for it to end.
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
shelemm
DIS Veteran

Simpsons will make you sick as a dog. I did that right after Transformers, so I was 'done for' as soon as I realized what kind of ride it was. Pure torture for me.
shelemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #11
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

agree with previous posts..if you have motion sickness, Simpsons is ROUGH...I am ok if I have taken my Meclizine and can sit in the back seat with the head rest. If I am not in that seat I am SICK

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: