Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Mandymouse's Holiday of Firsts ~ Travelling & Day 1

Castmembers

Mandy & Paul

Well this 'holiday of firsts' revolves around it being the first holiday we've taken on our own since the kiddiwinks were born

This holiday includes stays at The Poly, Country Inn & Suites at Port Canaveral, the Pop Century and Portofino Bay, along with a 5 night Disney Cruise and a very long wait to get into Harry Potter Land

So here goes :-

Friday 4th June ~ Manchester Airport

I knew today would fly by, I had a knot in my stomach as the time ticked by till I was saying goodbye to Kerry and Becky and heading off to Florida without them

The day was spent finishing off the packing, having a bath and getting my nails done, even Paul got home from work early, so at 6pm we couldn't put the inevitable off any longer, we had to say goodbye. After a few tears, Paul & I were heading up the M6 to Manchester Airport

Tonight we were staying at the Radisson SAS Hotel, which we loved when we stayed here at the New Year, as we could leave the car with them and take the walkway that linked to Terminal 2

We checked in, and we had a lovely Italian inspired room on the 8th floor.

Once we checked in, we jumped back in the car and went to the Trafford Centre for dinner at our favourite Chinese Restaurant. We shared prawn crackers, ribs and spring rolls for starters, then we had beef chow mein and chicken in satay sauce. It was all very nice

We returned to the hotel and had a nightcap in the bar before heading to bed

Here's some pics of the room, sorry they're a bit dark, but I only found out when I got to the cruise that the settings had been changed on my camera, so quite a few of my pics are dark (though thankfully Paul had taken some piccies too)

Tomorrow ~ off to WDW

Saturday 5th June ~ Off to WDW

We woke up around 6.15am and showered, and we were out of the room by 7am. We dropped off the car keys at reception (the car would be taken off-site till we returned) and we took the walkway to Terminal 2

The terminal was very busy, and even with doing 24 hour check in the day before, it was still 1/2 an hour before we were handing over our luggage, walking away with our boarding cards and heading through security

We had planned to have breakfast at Frankie & Benny's, but we weren't that hungry after our late meal last night, so we settled for a breakfast bap in the cafe

After a wander around the shops, we walked down to our gate, and it wasn't long before Virgin (VS075) started boarding. At exactly on time (10.25am) we pulled away from the terminal and onto the runway

Our flight was reasonably quick. Paul watched Invictus and I watched Street Dance (which I really enjoyed ), for the rest of the flight I watched Michael McIntyre and Only Fools & Horses (the one where Rodney falls asleep under the sunbed and Delboy goes hang gliding - classic !!)

We didn't bother with Virgin's cullinary delights as we brought our own food (a sandwich, bag of crisps and a drink bought from the airport), though we didn't turn down a couple of lagers and Bacardi & cokes

We landed at 2.15pm and by 3.15pm we had gone through passport control, picked up our luggage and were driving away in our hire car (we had checked in on-line and just had to choose a car - great stuff)

Our drive to The Poly was uneventful and we were checked in straight away. We were in the Rapa Nui building, which was lovely except for the view of the car park To be honest we didn't really care, we weren't going to be there long enough to spend time in the room

Anyway after dumping the cases in our room we got back in the car and went to DownTown Disney. First we went to the Arribas Brothers shop to see if the Minnie Mouse necklace that I had wanted for my birthday (on our last trip) was there, and yay, it was, so Paul bought it for me

Next we picked up my 14 day ticket from Guest Services, and then I bought Paul a t-shirt from World of Disney

I really fancied a Cosmo Paleo Cotton-tini from T-Rex and a few bar snacks, but there were no chairs available, so we had a wander, and had our first meal ever at Cookes of Dublin. We shared some fish and chips and some onion rings, which were quite nice

After dinner we went to Curl's (a surfy kind of shop) and Paul treated himself to a new watch

We headed back to TRex and found a couple of seats, and I had my first drinky of the holiday

We then got back in the car and went back to The Poly. We took a wander around the resort and had a drinky at the Barefoot Pool Bar

(btw, I occassionally may be rather vague about the drinks I had this holiday, as I will be running the UK Community Quiz in August, it's going to be a Disney Drinky Quiz, so I won't be mentioning too many drinks by name in this trippy )

Anyway, we moved on the Tambu Lounge for a nightcap and then we shared some chicken stir fry in the foodcourt before heading down to the beach to video and take photos of the Summer Nightastic Fireworks at the Magic Kingdom

We were shattered by the time the fireworks finished, so it was time for bed

Tomorrow ~ DHS for Star Wars Weekend/Drinkies with Ms Tart & Ms Pinky/& Epcot

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Great start Mandy.

I'm glad you finally tracked down the elusive Minnie Mouse necklace! Your room looks lovely and your fireworks pics are fab.

Eagerly awaiting more...
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Goofysmate
Isn't fussed where she is, as long as it's a bit warmer than here

Great start Mandy , what a lovely photo of you both together & the firework pic's
Sept 2006 Weston Hills (Villa)
Nov 2008 Regal Palms (Town House)
Goofysmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Great start Mandy. I really wanted to try that Cotton-tini at T-Rex on our last trip but didn't get round to it - maybe I will in August.

BTW, I am really sorry now that I will be missing your quiz in August since it's on one of my favourite subjects I might just take part until we leave for WDW
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Jordanblackpool
DIS Veteran

Woooo! Great first couple of days!!!! Youve got more will power than me, I went for a nightcap on my first night when i went in Feb and ended up with the worst hangover ever the next day!!!! Cant wait for the next reports.....

Past VisitsMGM Grand,Las Vegas. March 201113th Feb 2010 - Royal Crown Plaza March 2009 - Port Orleons, French Quarter,October 2007 - Port Orleons French Quarter,April 2004 - Comfort Inn,October 1999 - Port Orleons French Quarter,October 1997 -Port Orleons - French Quarter,October 1995 - Grosvenor LBV,October 1993 - Delta

Follow Me On Twitter www.twitter.com/Allsworth27
Jordanblackpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
thelittlemermaid83
My reign will be a super-awesome thing
I will just live in suspense
I'm officially crazy

So glad you managed to track down that necklace Mandy.

Look forward to reading more
thelittlemermaid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
ely3857
Would love to be a Librarian - but isn't sure if she can spell it

Fab-u-lous! Wishes looks so nice from there.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

I don't believe it, how funny!!! Karen & I are doing the quiz in July & we spent hours researching (& of course tasting ) the cocktails whilst we were there!!! Oh well it will be a boozy few months for the quizzers!

Anyway a fab start! Looks like Paul is getting the hang of those firework pics. I may have to get some tips as I am usless at firework pics.

Looking forward to reading more.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland

Last edited by Pinky166; 06-24-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Muscateer
DIS Veteran

Aww it's always hard leaving the kids even if it is just a couple weeks. Lovely photos of you and Paul. So glad you got your necklace. Look forward to reading more.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

great start, I cant wait to read more

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

great start to your trip mate !

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
Latte Lover
in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls

Lovely start, Mandy. We've had several trips without our children now, and I must admit it still feels a bit strange to be going without them.

1975 Royal Plaza 1997 Master's Inn Kissimee 1999 Clarion Universal 2001 Howard Johnson Maingate East 2003 Econolodge 2005 Howard Johnson Maingate West 2006 Our Timeshare at Sheraton Vistana Resort 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 Sheraton Vistana(May), Terrace Ridge (Aug)Nov 2009 Barefoot'n' in the keys, Kissimmee2010 Cumbrian LakesOct 2011 Sheraton & Disney MagicNov 2012 Florida Keys, The Sheraton, and OKW
Latte Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great start Mandy, you are so organised getting your trippies started so soon, can't wait for more
Old 06-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #14
jackieleanne
DIS Veteran

Yay great start Mandy. Love the look of the Poly room and the Summer Nighttastic pics from the beach.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

jackieleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Great start Mandy - must try a cotton-tini when we go to T-Rex
Chilly is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: