Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #61
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyf2 View Post
I decided on our new dates I purchased 2 days of tickets & we are using our Disney volunteer tickets. So we will have 3 days of parks, maybe a day at Sea World, 2RELAX/POOL days, & 1 Downtown day.

YEAH!!!!!! Anyone else??
It sounded from the way your wrote this that you purchased 2-day tickets separately from the GAD tickets. Did you know you can use your GAD tickets as credit towards a multi-day ticket? Upgrading the GAD tickets to 3 day tickets would save you a little money.

Oh, and DD and I will be there 8/13-8/21.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #62
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Hey everybody!

I had a nice wog this evening (that's a walk/jog combo). It was more walking than jogging since I am healing from some back issues, but it felt great. No discomfort, so that's a positive.

Welcome to our newcomers and lurkers!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #63
Kat&Dom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by santadog View Post
Browsing through these posts - there don't seem to be many single dads around.

My daughter turned 5 last April. We've been on our own since October of 2005. We came home one day to find Mom (as well as most of her stuff) gone. We didn't hear a peep from her for several months, when she called me from New York, and wanted a divorce. She came last August for a visit (arrived Thursday PM and left first thing on Sunday).

We've been to Disneyland twice, and went to WDW for her birthday this year. I am planning on taking her back in December. She deserves a nce Christmas, and with just the 2 of us, I never get too fancy with the decorations.

Your daughter looks very happy and loved - you are doing an awesome job as a single parent.

My ex is similar to your ex in that they are so self centered that they just don't understand what they have thrown away by abandoning their children. I made the decision to just love my son and be grateful to have him instead of being angry with my ex for leaving. I feel sorry for him because he has missed out on so many amazing and fun moments.

Just recently (last couple of months) my ex has wanted to see my son more and seems to have grown up a bit and realize what an incredible son he has. I am supportive of this because I know that children love both their parents no matter how good or bad they are.

My son knows that I am the parent that he can trust and count on and he completely adores me. I am so grateful to have that unconditional love. My son also knows that when his daddy makes a promise or says he is going to do something that it might not happen. I took him to a counseller last summer and the counseller told me that Dom is in a good place where he is okay if he sees his dad and okay if he doesn't.

I was so proud of Dom because when the counseller asked him how he felt when his daddy didn't keep his promises (I thought he would say sad or something similar) instead he said "I feel angry". I think that it was really good for him to be able to express his feelings in a non-judgemental situation so that he could move on and be happy.

If your ex continues to want to do the "once in a blue moon" visits with your daughter and it seems to be upsetting your daughter - don't be afraid to take her to some counselling to work through her feelings. She obviously adores you (you can see all the love in the picture of the 2 of you) but might not want to upset you so having a counseller to talk to will help work through some of the anger and abandonment feelings.

You are doing an amazing job as a father and enjoy your trip at Christmas!
Kat&Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #64
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Good morning! IT is working on my laptop, so that gives me time to surf the DIS. I'm working for the weekend! I hope everybody has a great day.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #65
Majesty1919
Earning My Ears

Sure. I am a single Mom of two children 11 boy and 8 year old girl. I lost my husband in 2001 in a drowning accident while I was pregnant with our daughter. We were 31 years old.

This year I decided to take our children to Disney. I was my youngest's age when my parents took me. I took them by myself and for the record, did have a little reservation about whether it would be too much or not. I just didn't know. But, it really wasn't bad. My children did extremely well but then again we work pretty well together at home. That is key. Simply put, if a child melts down regularly at home, stores, and restaurants, they may just have a difficult time there because it can be taxing at times.

My children got tired one night during the glow in the dark parade. They looked at me and said, "Mommy? We're tired." in a matter of fact tone. I replied, "Okay, let's wrap it up." and we did. I was soooo proud of them. We took the shuttle back to the hotel.

But, leaving magic kingdom, that same night on our way to the shuttle my son got distracted about wanting to get a drink for the soda machine. I turned around and couldn't find him. It was dark and I was like...What the.... When I finally found him, 15 minutes feeling like an hour. I just wanted to shake him.lol. But all was well and we just kept it moving.

I'm taking them back for a general orlando visit in August which is suppose to be HOTTER than Hot and adds a new dynamic. Patience in weather we're not accustomed to here in CT. But realizing that I'm just putting in options to help us. I know that we won't apply our February pace in August. We hit at least two parks a day and left after breakfast not returning until late in the evening.

I am just resolved to being more leisurely and putting it up front, we will not be standing in line ALL DAY. We will take daily swim and/or refreshing breaks and go with the flow. We'll just adapt. That is too much money for us to NOT have a great time together. I guess it's all about knowing when to say WHEN. After all you don't want to be that person who comes on the news people just shake their head at asking what happened to you. How are you going to just SNAP like that.

I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm no veteran at this but I learn fast. If I can be of any help, I will sure try. I took them on a Cruise, not Disney, when they were 2 and 5 by myself. Don't know what I was thinking about but we made it work.

Renee
Old 06-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #66
Majesty1919
Earning My Ears

Re: SantaDog

I agree, she looks so happy. Remain encouraged. That's where character is born. What we chose to do, in spite of our circumstances, instead of because of them. Kudos to all of the parents. I loved how you got the photo in too. How did you add your photo if I can ask? I don't have quite enough posts yet to add one but I'd like to share one when I can.

Renee

Last edited by Majesty1919; 06-26-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Majesty1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #67
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

Single mom from Ontario (for last 5 years) My kids DD11 and DS7 love to travel and are off to Disney at the end of Aug It will be our 4th trip (3rd just us) The kids see their dad everyother weekend now but he doesn't help out at all.

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere
My QSDP report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2551446
sk8jdgca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #68
MNT568
DIS Veteran

Another single mom here. I have a 12yo DS, it has been just the two of us since he was 6 months. We have traveled to Disney many times, with family, friends and just the 2 of us. We are heading down the end of July with my sister and her son. One thing that is hard as a single parent is that you have to do everything! I so need a break! But in 33 days I will have my escape. Vacation at the Poly! One thing I am looking forward to is not having to drive for a whole week!
MNT568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #69
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Welcome!

I'm having a mommy morning. Getting highlights at the local hair school (a cut and full highlights with 2 colors is only $40). I was a little early, so I popped into Kohl's and found a running skirt for under $10.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #70
TXdisney
Mouseketeer

Hello, I'm a single mom of three, DS (16), DS (13), and DD (7). We will celebrate my dd's birthday and our first trip to Disney July 27-Aug 1. Plus, I'm bringing my nephew (age 12). We are staying at CR. It has been a challenge for me as well, sole provider, full-time graduate student, and kids playing sports year round. But with plenty of prayer and determination I finally was able to plan our trip! I think I'm more excited than the kids!

CR-2010, CR/POLY-2011, CR-2013

Last edited by TXdisney; 06-26-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Addition to post.
TXdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #71
santadog
DIS Veteran

Thanks all for the kind words, and warm welcome. I would've commented earlier, but have had a hectic week - enrolling in Kindergarten, multiple co-workers on vacation, and planning my ADRs for December.
santadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #72
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Just a quick pop in. The weekend is gone and I am exhausted. Unpacked some more things and I'm starting to feel settled in. I just moved about 3 weeks ago. Finished picking the ADR's for our trip too.

I hope everybody had a good weekend.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #73
adaygaby
DIS Veteran

Buenos dias to everyone..!

Had a great weekend... but tooo hot..! Got a question for those single parents who have their kids spend the summer with the ex-spouse....

HOW THE HECK DO YOU DO IT...?!?!?!?!?!?!

My ex moved out of town in February (about 6hrs away) and DS6 hasn't seen him since March, but would see him every other weekend prior to moving.

DS will be spending 30-45 days with his dad this summer. He is coming into town on Friday to pick him up and I am DREADING IT. The longest that we have been apart has been for 8 days. Yes it's nice to have some "me" time but at the end of those 8 days I am climbing up the walls just waiting for DS to be with me. DS is excited about getting to see his dad and his other grandparents. I told him this weekend that it's okay to call me if he wants to come back home early. We will be taking our Disney trip 3-days after he arrives back home.

I'm going to have to find something to keep me VERY VERY BUSY...! so again... How do you deal with this?
11/2006 CSR
05/1995 All-Star Music (HS Senior Trip)

adaygaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #74
adaygaby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsrtw View Post
Just a quick pop in. The weekend is gone and I am exhausted. Unpacked some more things and I'm starting to feel settled in. I just moved about 3 weeks ago. Finished picking the ADR's for our trip too.

I hope everybody had a good weekend.
I hate unpacking..!! It seems that it takes forever to get boxes unpacked. Hope everything is going smoothly getting settled in.

We have 2 ADR's but am hoping for some pixie dust to get a Chef Mickey reservation.
11/2006 CSR
05/1995 All-Star Music (HS Senior Trip)

adaygaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #75
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8jdgca View Post
Single mom from Ontario (for last 5 years) My kids DD11 and DS7 love to travel and are off to Disney at the end of Aug It will be our 4th trip (3rd just us) The kids see their dad everyother weekend now but he doesn't help out at all.
Single mom from Ontario here as well... DS 16, DD8 and DD5. We have been to Disney on our own and with a mix of family but last year it was just me and 2 DD's. This Dec it will be me, 2 DD's and my mom has decided to join us

Where in Ontario are you.. it's a big place

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR
Tinkermom76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: