Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #46
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddismummy2 View Post
My friends have told me that I'm brave to take my dd's by myself. I don't feel that way at all, we have a great time when we go.
I've had people say the same to me, but I've always replied that WDW is the perfect vacation spot for single parents. I love that I can check our bags at the airport and not worry about them again. There's no need to rent a car and drive in an unfamiliar place. There's a ton of stuff for both DD and I to do. I can use the Kids Clubs if I want a night to have some time to myself. And DD and I have a blast.

As for dating, I'm in the "I don't have time for that" camp. I was in a long-term relationship with someone, but when DD really started to have problems, he made it known that marriage was not in the cards. He didn't want to have to deal with her issues on a day to day basis. It hurt, but I'm honestly better off without him. DD is my first priority and will always be that. I'm focused on her right now and I'm at peace with that.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #47
amtag
Mouseketeer

Good Morning, just checking in - excited to see my ticker under the 60 day mark! I think I'm going to go for a walk at lunch today since it's supposed to be 95 and HUMID in NJ here today to prep for our August trip

Everyone have a great day!

1ST NON-SUMMER VISIT, 1ST MVMCP
amtag is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #48
pjbeagle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyf2 View Post
Good Morning!

Single MN mom here! We have been to Disney many times (I work for an airline so air fare is free) just the 3 of us I have 2 boys ages 16 & 9--we are very busy with sports & school activities. My oldest son just told me this week that he doesn't want to play football this year so I have been trying to re-arrange our August trip. I originally had everything planned for 8/4-8/11 now I'm pricing out different weeks in August to find the cheapest deal. We are going to stay at the ASSports--CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Anyone else going in August??

After our cruise we're staying at WL from August 3rd to the 7th. Only 36 days until we leave for the world!!!

Me ds15 dd9
pjbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #49
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Just a quick pop in to say hello! Another long day for me, I'm getting a few hours in on a research project with my class group tonight.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #50
Kat&Dom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunlenese View Post
joining in!! im a single mom to my DS. he is 9 month old. we r taking his 1st disney trip oct celebrating his 1 bday. it is very hard i work and im in college studing respiratory since he was 2 months. i dont graduate till dec 11 but im sure it will be worth it. i am a little worried with being so busy that he will think grandma is mom. im so thankful my mom helps me!!
Mom's are awesome. My mom has been a huge help with my son. The coolest thing about having my son is seeing how much joy he has brought to my parents and how much they love being Grandma and Grandpa.

Your son will have a special bond with both you and your mom. My son was a C-section and my wound reopened so I had 2 months of home care so my mom was a godsend helping out with my son while I was being taken care of then I went back to work full time when he was 3 months old - my mom watched him until he was 18 months old.

She didn't want to stop but she had breast cancer and needed a mascestomy - it was torture for her to not be able to hold him for 2 months while she healed and he didn't understand why Grandma couldn't cuddle him. It was heartbreaking for both of them. Thankfully, my mom is now cancer free and strong again. I pulled him from day home for the summer because she wants to have the summer to hang out with him before he starts school. I am so lucky to have the mom I have!

We went to Hawaii last month to celebrate her being cancer free and she is also joining us in Disney in November. My dad is afraid to fly so my mom has to travel with us which I love and my son loves it even more because he gets all of Grandma and Mommy's attention on him.
Kat&Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #51
leshunlenese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat&Dom View Post
Mom's are awesome. My mom has been a huge help with my son. The coolest thing about having my son is seeing how much joy he has brought to my parents and how much they love being Grandma and Grandpa.

Your son will have a special bond with both you and your mom. My son was a C-section and my wound reopened so I had 2 months of home care so my mom was a godsend helping out with my son while I was being taken care of then I went back to work full time when he was 3 months old - my mom watched him until he was 18 months old.

She didn't want to stop but she had breast cancer and needed a mascestomy - it was torture for her to not be able to hold him for 2 months while she healed and he didn't understand why Grandma couldn't cuddle him. It was heartbreaking for both of them. Thankfully, my mom is now cancer free and strong again. I pulled him from day home for the summer because she wants to have the summer to hang out with him before he starts school. I am so lucky to have the mom I have!

We went to Hawaii last month to celebrate her being cancer free and she is also joining us in Disney in November. My dad is afraid to fly so my mom has to travel with us which I love and my son loves it even more because he gets all of Grandma and Mommy's attention on him.
Congrats to ur mom for cancer free! im really glad she is here. i was actually on bedrest for 5 months with DS. the 1 st month was the worst casue i was in the hospitol and my mom was off for the summer casue the works for the school system and she came eveeryday! i wouldve went crazy without her company. im glad everything went well with you!!
1989 first visit off site + several family trips as a child | 1997 AS Sp | 2000 8th grade band trip/offsite |2004 ASM| 2007*Walt Disney College Program- Chatham Square*| 2008 AARC congress at WDW | 2009 ASMo|OCT 2010 POP..1st MNSSHP/DS 1st visit and birthday | Dec 10 POLY |May/June 11 POP |AUG 11 marriott village |Dec 2011 graduation celebration @AKV-Jambo | FEB 13 dolphin | May 13 POP |Sept 13 Yacht club | Nov 13 POFQ | May 14 Disney dream | Sept 14 Assp | April 15
ME(28)and DS(4)Sept 13 Disney Video
Sept 13 TR
Sept 2014 PTR

I loved the poly but Jambo house stole my heart! Dec 11 college graduation TR
My 1st TR: Who says you can't take a 1 year old to WDW. Put that boy in a stroller!Oct 2010
leshunlenese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #52
Kat&Dom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunlenese View Post
Congrats to ur mom for cancer free! im really glad she is here. i was actually on bedrest for 5 months with DS. the 1 st month was the worst casue i was in the hospitol and my mom was off for the summer casue the works for the school system and she came eveeryday! i wouldve went crazy without her company. im glad everything went well with you!!
Wow, 5 months of bedrest must not have been easy - I can't imagine how difficult it must have been. I am glad that you have such an awesome mom who is there for you. What a great way to celebrate your son's first birthday by taking him to Disney. I could not imagine life without my son - he makes everything worthwhile and fun. I hope you have the best Disney trip ever with tonnes of Pixie Dust - you have had a long year and half so it is time to just have fun with your son. You are one amazing mom!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #53
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Hey everybody!

I had a rollercoaster of a day in the emotions department. An employee's daughter is having a rough time right now. Quite a bit of behind the scenes stuff had to take place to assist (ex. scheduling a vacation day, so today wouldn't count toward her attendance). Very stressful. It would be wonderful if you could think about her & her daughter and send some pixie dust their way.

I am mentally exhausted and am nearly knocked out from a nice relaxing shower.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #54
Kat&Dom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsrtw View Post
Hey everybody!

I had a rollercoaster of a day in the emotions department. An employee's daughter is having a rough time right now. Quite a bit of behind the scenes stuff had to take place to assist (ex. scheduling a vacation day, so today wouldn't count toward her attendance). Very stressful. It would be wonderful if you could think about her & her daughter and send some pixie dust their way.

I am mentally exhausted and am nearly knocked out from a nice relaxing shower.
Have a great sleep and I will be sending Pixie Dust their way. Take care!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #55
santadog
DIS Veteran

Browsing through these posts - there don't seem to be many single dads around.

My daughter turned 5 last April. We've been on our own since October of 2005. We came home one day to find Mom (as well as most of her stuff) gone. We didn't hear a peep from her for several months, when she called me from New York, and wanted a divorce. She came last August for a visit (arrived Thursday PM and left first thing on Sunday).

We've been to Disneyland twice, and went to WDW for her birthday this year. I am planning on taking her back in December. She deserves a nce Christmas, and with just the 2 of us, I never get too fancy with the decorations.

santadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #56
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by santadog View Post
Browsing through these posts - there don't seem to be many single dads around.

My daughter turned 5 last April. We've been on our own since October of 2005. We came home one day to find Mom (as well as most of her stuff) gone. We didn't hear a peep from her for several months, when she called me from New York, and wanted a divorce. She came last August for a visit (arrived Thursday PM and left first thing on Sunday).

We've been to Disneyland twice, and went to WDW for her birthday this year. I am planning on taking her back in December. She deserves a nce Christmas, and with just the 2 of us, I never get too fancy with the decorations.

She is just beautiful. I'm always amazed how any parent can just walk out on their child. It would take death for me to do so and even then I'd be there right beside my kids watching over them.
Me (37) DD (10) DD (5)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #57
amtag
Mouseketeer

ATSRDW - hope things are better for your co-worker - thinking good thoughts for her daughter

Santadad - Welcome! My daughter's father decided he didn't want to be a dad to her anymore also, he's made no attempt to contact her or see her, nor does he help out financially in any way. I look at it as his loss much more than hers, but I do feel bad my daughter has a father who is so neglectful. Luckily she is super close with my father, they are best buddies and she has several other positive male role models in my uncles and my brother so she doesn't have the same sense of loss with her dad not being around. She doesn't even remember him since she was 14 months old when we split up and she just turned 5. I am always very happy to see some great dads out there!

Busy day at work for me today - hope everyone has a good day!

1ST NON-SUMMER VISIT, 1ST MVMCP
amtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #58
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Another sneaky post from work. My employee's daughter is out of danger. She is doing better but has a long road.

Have a great day! Welcome to our newest single dad!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #59
jennyf2
DIS Veteran

Smile Booking 2morrow AM!

I decided on our new dates August 15-22nd ASSports . I was able to make 5 of my 7 dining reservations today! Not all are ideal times but they'll do. This will be our 10th trip (or so) to Disney & believe it or not we have never done EPCOT -- I purchased 2 days of tickets & we are using our Disney volunteer tickets. So we will have 3 days of parks, maybe a day at Sea World, 2RELAX/POOL days, & 1 Downtown day.

YEAH!!!!!! Anyone else??

Jenny

Now living 10 minutes from DISNEY
jennyf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #60
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyf2 View Post
I decided on our new dates August 15-22nd ASSports . I was able to make 5 of my 7 dining reservations today! Not all are ideal times but they'll do. This will be our 10th trip (or so) to Disney & believe it or not we have never done EPCOT -- I purchased 2 days of tickets & we are using our Disney volunteer tickets. So we will have 3 days of parks, maybe a day at Sea World, 2RELAX/POOL days, & 1 Downtown day.

YEAH!!!!!! Anyone else??

Jenny
Have you thought about Gatorland? We had a ball there last year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: