Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #31
adaygaby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyf2 View Post
Good Morning!
I originally had everything planned for 8/4-8/11 now I'm pricing out different weeks in August to find the cheapest deal. We are going to stay at the ASSports--CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Anyone else going in August??
We'll be at ASSPorts from Aug 15th -20th...!!! DBro, SIL and their 2kids will be coming along too, this will be their 1st Disney trip. They got the QS Dining Plan. I went with the children play & stay for free offer. Dining plan won't work for DS6 & me since I don't eat much after having RNY surgery.

Hope you find a good offer that works for you..!
11/2006 CSR
05/1995 All-Star Music (HS Senior Trip)

adaygaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #32
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

I'm a single mom to my 10 y.o. DD. We've been going to WDW at least once a year since 2006. We just went in May and upgraded our tix to APs since we are also planning a trip in Oct. to meet old friends of mine. I'm not sure this AP thing was a good idea as I have three other short trips I'd like to take since "we already have tickets". Better plant that money tree seed in a hurry!

I've been a single mom since she was 2 1/2. It's hard at times, but I have wonderful family and friends who are always there for support.

To the OP, best of luck on earning your college degree! I just completed mine (graduation was Sunday, woo hoo!). It was tough for both DD and me, but it had to be done. I know all the hard work will pay off. And of course when you are done, celebrate with a trip to Disney!
Pixie Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #33
Kat&Dom
DIS Veteran

Hi - another single mom here to a son. He will be 5 in September. I have been a single mom since he was 18 months old. Thankfully, my ex-husband signed over Sole Custody to me during the divorce so we are free to travel.

We did our first trip to Disneyland 2 years ago (June 2008) - alone - I originally was going with one of my best friends and her son but she ended having a difficult pregnancy with her daughter so had to cancel at the last minute. So my son and I went by ourselves - what an amazing time, it was the first time that I was not the sole focus of my son's attention and I could just enjoy hanging out with him and having fun - it was such a great deal because his Disney tickets were free because he was under 3 and his flight was free as Alaska Air had a kids fly free promotion on. Total trip cost was $1,200.

For his 3rd birthday (Sept 2008), we invited my mom to join us at Disneyworld which we stayed at a timeshare and it was so much fun. This trip was more expensive because I paid for my mom - it cost about $1,700.

Then in February 2009, Alaska Air had the kids fly free promotion on again so we took advantage and went back to California. This trip was $1,300.

In July 2008, I had been randomly looking at timeshare resales and I came across one for Grand Beach Resort - 3 bed, 3 bath for $500 for every 2nd year use. So I bought the timeshare from a wonderful woman and was able to book and invite my brother and his family to join us in August 2009 - we were able to get our Disney tickets through a rewards program and found a great deal on flights. It was a wonderful vacation and so awesome to be the little sister and a single mom and be able to invite my big brother and his family along. For them - having the accomodation covered meant they could do the trip. It was a great vacation and so much fun. This trip cost $1,200.

Then this past April 2010, I used my timeshare to book a 3 bed/3 bath condo in Kissimee so I invited another single mom from work to join me. Her daughter and my son got along so good and we had an awesome vacation. My friends ex had taken their daughter to Disneyland the year before so it was nice for her to have a trip that was so affordable and be able to take her daughter to the World. This trip cost $1,350.

We are heading back to Disney this November 2010 with my mom again. We are treating mom again but I got our flights for $345 each - I expect this trip to cost $1,600.

I am very fortunate to have a good paying job so even though my ex does not pay child support very often or much - we are okay and doing well. He is supposed to pay $300 per month - he gave me $50 in September 2009 and $100 this past week. He owes over $9,000 in back child support. The last couple of months, he has been wanting to spend more time with my son and be a good dad to him. I am glad for this because my son loves his daddy. He actually shocked me this past Saturday because he called and said that he had a little bit of money to give for our son because he realizes that he has a responsibility to provide for Dom.

I have to say that it does feel really good as a single mom to be able to take my son to Disney. Disney is a vacation for me because I can just hang out and have so much fun with my son. It will be funny when my son is in school and comes to realize that not every kid has been to Disney, let alone how many trips he has been. I don't think that very many people realize how truly affordable Disney can be and how great of family time it truly is.

I look forward to hearing other single parent stories and what their Disney experience is.
Kat&Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #34
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

luvmy2babies - your post brought back memories. My dad passed away when I was 8 years old. I can't imagine losing a spouse with a baby. Great big hugs adn kudos to you!

Adaygaby and amtag - we are just missing your trips. We leave for WDW on 9/2.

Pixie Princess - Thank you! Going back to school has done wonders for my ego. Of course, I will celebrate with a Disney vacation. I couldn't think of any other place better.

Amtag - Ocala brings back some memories. My first real boyfriend was from there. Knee deep in Florida horse country!

Jennyf2 - you might get a better deal in mid-August. Value season and free dining kicks in.

Singleminnie - I completely understand wondering how I made it too. Having a great support group is awesome.

It'sWDW4me - I bet your son thinks it's cool that his uncle is 5 months older than him. Love it!

One thing that I found difficult for me to accept was that I needed/deserved time to myself. Really, that was huge. Once I finally realized that this, my world changed for the better. Emotions & self-worth went through the roof.

Forgive me if I missed welcoming anybody! I think it is great that we found each other.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #35
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Kat&Dom - you snuck in on me! Welcome. Sounds like you had some great deals! I would love to visit Disneyland, but WDW is so much closer for us. Not to mention that we have great non-stop airfares to Orlando.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #36
Kat&Dom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsrtw View Post
Kat&Dom - you snuck in on me! Welcome. Sounds like you had some great deals! I would love to visit Disneyland, but WDW is so much closer for us. Not to mention that we have great non-stop airfares to Orlando.
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for starting this thread. I knew there were lots of single parents out there but it is so cool to actually hear some of their stories.

I love Disneyland and WDW - they are both awesome.
Kat&Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat&Dom View Post
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for starting this thread. I knew there were lots of single parents out there but it is so cool to actually hear some of their stories.

I love Disneyland and WDW - they are both awesome.
Thank you! I was so frustrated that day. My kids were arguing and just wouldn't stop (desperately needed something to take my mind off of it, lol). When I saw that no thread existed, I felt compelled to do something about it. I'm so glad I did. So many of us are lucky - we have people in our lives to lean on, but it is SO nice to have new people to chat with.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #38
leshunlenese
DIS Veteran

joining in!! im a single mom to my DS. he is 9 month old. we r taking his 1st disney trip oct celebrating his 1 bday. it is very hard i work and im in college studing respiratory since he was 2 months. i dont graduate till dec 11 but im sure it will be worth it. i am a little worried with being so busy that he will think grandma is mom. im so thankful my mom helps me!!
1989 first visit off site + several family trips as a child | 1997 AS Sp | 2000 8th grade band trip/offsite |2004 ASM| 2007*Walt Disney College Program- Chatham Square*| 2008 AARC congress at WDW | 2009 ASMo|OCT 2010 POP..1st MNSSHP/DS 1st visit and birthday | Dec 10 POLY |May/June 11 POP |AUG 11 marriott village |Dec 2011 graduation celebration @AKV-Jambo | FEB 13 dolphin | May 13 POP |Sept 13 Yacht club | Nov 13 POFQ | May 14 Disney dream | Sept 14 Assp | April 15
ME(28)and DS(4)Sept 13 Disney Video
Sept 13 TR
Sept 2014 PTR

I loved the poly but Jambo house stole my heart! Dec 11 college graduation TR
My 1st TR: Who says you can't take a 1 year old to WDW. Put that boy in a stroller!Oct 2010
leshunlenese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #39
redwingfan3991
Mouseketeer

HELLO
Another single mom here. I have been a single parent since DS was born.
His dad hasnt seen him in about 2 yrs.

I work for the airlines so DS and I have been traveling to Disney since he
has been a yr and 1/2. We try to go every Sept during free dining.
This year, I THINK we are going to try to go down the end of Nov/
beg. of Dec.

Anyways, just wanted to join and say HI to everyone

redwingfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #40
Singleminnie
DIS Veteran

My girls are gone to stay with my parents in MO on the farm until July 1st. They left this past Sunday. I love them to pieces, but I can def. say it is nice to get to work early, out early and come home to watch the news and put my feet up without someone saying they are hungry or needing to run someone to a friend's house! Although my boyfriend has his kids this week, we are going on a date tomorrow night to see a movie. I used to feel guilty liking my time alone, my friends have told me that I have a right to enjoy it. By the time they get home (then they are off to their Dad's for 12 days) I will be missing them! Ready to be "fun Mom" again.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #41
Dobby
27 years is too long to wait for Disney

Thanks for starting this thread!

I'm a mom of a 8 year old DD and a 4 year old (this week!) DS. I've been single since I was pregnant with my second. Not so much as a date. I am planning my first trip to Disneyland this fall with some family (my mom said she'd take each grandkid when they turn 8) But next year, will be the big one where I take both my kids to Disney World. I'm so excited for it!
WDW Commando #139
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #42
jddismummy2
Earning My Ears

Hi Everyone!! I am the single mom of 2 dd's. We are making our 3rd trip to WDW in Aug. My friends have told me that I'm brave to take my dd's by myself. I don't feel that way at all, we have a great time when we go.
I have been a single mom for 5yrs since my ex left me for a girl 10yrs younger than me(ouch!) He sees the girls a few times a week but does not really pay any kind of support to speak of.
I don't have any family except for my dd's. Everyone has passed away.
I have been on a few dating sites, and did have a long-term boyfriend for a while but it just didn't work out. I have dated a lot of guys but I don't think it's the right time for me right now.
I'm so glad I found this thread.

jddismummy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #43
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreggersmom View Post
I'm in! I became a single mom about 2.5 years ago when I adopted my son. Love it but, yes, there are some times when I wish I had a little help.

I took my son to Disney last December when he was 22 months. He did fine but I was a mess. It was more work than I ever anticipated -- especially dealing with the food court at POP. I was completely exhausted at the end of the week but am already planning (in my head, at least) our next trip...possibly in fall of 2011.

We saw TSIII this morning and had a blast! I couldn't help but notice how Andy's mom still appears to be a single mom -- you go, animated girl!!
Too funny, I noticed that too after watching the first two last week and then when i took DD1 yesterday noticed the picture of her and the 2 kids sans dad.
Pop 10/07 - SSR 1/08 - Disney Cruise 1/08 - AKV 10/09 - OKW 8/10 and AKV SV 9/10 - ASMu 5/11, AKV 8/11 and BWV 9/11, AKV Kidani 2/12, BLT Theme Park View 8/13 and AKV 8/13-9/13, BLT, AKV, SSR & BCV 6/14-7/14
Me (38) DD (10) DD (6)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #44
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Yay!! A few more joined in! Welcome!

Just a quick pop in before I do some crunches (yeah, not as fun as DIS-ing). If I don't get back tonight, I hope everybody has a great night!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #45
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

I hope I'm welcome here, I was a single mom for 5 years (boyfriend split once I told him I was pregnant) and then almost 2 years ago I bit the bullet and got married. Always said I'd never do it, but I did. I hate to say but I find being married harder than being a single mom...lol I met my husband, got engaged 7 weeks later, got pregnant 2 months after that and then was married and had DD all in a total of 12 months. It was a huge life adjustment for DD6 and myself. We moved, she got a step dad and a sister all in a few months. She is such a great kid though and while she had some trouble at first she quickly got over it when her sister arrived. She is so in love with her and visa versa!
I've been taking DD6 to Disney by myself since she was 7 months old and I've had no problems. My husband came once for DD's 4th birthday and he hated it. He doesn't like the heat, crowds, traveling or waiting for anything. It was just an awful, awful trip....never again. When DD1 arrived, he thought I'd stop traveling because I couldn't possibly handle two kids. That was what he thought, but I knew differently. I took both DD's when they were 15 months and 6 (turned 6 while there). It was not super easy to get kids and luggage into airport, but once we got there it was just fine. With both kids I've used a hip hammock to carry them around the parks (with DD6 I did it from 7 months to 2.5 years) when it's close to nap time or they looked tired so that they could sleep and rides could still be done without interrupting the nap and it's worked perfectly. I also put her in the hammock at the end of the night so that if she falls asleep either before we leave the park or while waiting for the bus I don't have to wake her up by taking her out of the stroller to get on the bus. Again it's worked like a charm so far. DD1 is not a good sleeper but she didn't wake up even when I'd get to the room and change her diaper and put her in the crib. I am now planning trip number 2 with my DD's and we'll be leaving in 2 months and 1 day. I'm so excited as DD1 is now really into the Disney characters and loves Mickey, Pooh, Tigger and Toy Story characters especially Woody. I'm thinking of being a little more crazy and see if my dad will let me take my DB who is 8. My DB8 and DD6 get along really good and I think they would have a blast on the rides together plus DB8 has never been as my dad has no desire to go. DSM still hasn't been able to convince him. I take my kids everywhere, camping, movies, out to eat, zoo, park, etc by myself and usually try to bring my DB8 as my dad and DSM are older and don't really do those kinds of things so I know he'd be fine and listens really well to me.

So for all you single moms/dads don't worry about taking them yourself, just relax and go with the flow and it'll be a wonderful memory making experience!!!
Pop 10/07 - SSR 1/08 - Disney Cruise 1/08 - AKV 10/09 - OKW 8/10 and AKV SV 9/10 - ASMu 5/11, AKV 8/11 and BWV 9/11, AKV Kidani 2/12, BLT Theme Park View 8/13 and AKV 8/13-9/13, BLT, AKV, SSR & BCV 6/14-7/14
Me (38) DD (10) DD (6)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: