Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
PrincessDreams2
Mouseketeer

I will chime in here! I am a single mom to DD6, and have been since she was an infant. We are taking our 3rd Mommy/Daughter trip to the world this August. We are counting the days!! For those of you going on your own for the first time, have a wonderful trip! It is so much fun with just you and your child(ren)!
PrincessDreams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
amtag
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDreams2 View Post
I will chime in here! I am a single mom to DD6, and have been since she was an infant. We are taking our 3rd Mommy/Daughter trip to the world this August. We are counting the days!! For those of you going on your own for the first time, have a wonderful trip! It is so much fun with just you and your child(ren)!
I really wanted to make the first visit with just my daughter, but we ended up deciding to drive and we are stopping in Ocala first to see my dad's father and step-mother, they have never met their great-granddaughter in person, and since they aren't getting any younger, we turned it into a family trip, but I can't wait to go back again and make it just a mother/daughter trip!!!!

1ST NON-SUMMER VISIT, 1ST MVMCP
amtag is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #18
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

I'm in! Single mom since DS was 2 weeks shy of 3 years old. Wow, time flies!

This August will be our 5th trip to the World together. We usually travel with my mom and DB#3. He's 14, too - only 5 months older than DS! Remember the movie Father of the Bride II?

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
Singleminnie
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone, I am a single Mother of three DD, ages 14, 9 and 4. I went through a divorce that finally became final June 13th. A lot of my friends tell me how strong I am, but I must admit most days I wonder how I have made it thus far. I work full time, with a couple other part time jobs (Chacha and I have been working for the Census). I would not be able to do so if it weren't for my oldest daughter. My extra money plus tax return, we are taking our first family trip to WDW this October. My brother lives in Tampa, so we will be staying with him and he will be joining us for our vacation too. We can't wait.

A pp said there is no time for dating, I say that is not true. I have been dating a wonderful man, a single father of two himself, for the past 8 months! You never know where or how you may meet Mr. Right, I met him because our daughters are friends. He has been a great support too and we do a lot of "family" thinks together! Be open for love, you never know where it might happen.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #20
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Good morning everybody and welcome to our new posters. I have to comment about dating. At first I wouldn't make time and now, I realize I need to make time for it. That doesn't mean that I'm desperately searching for a husband, lol. I have found that I feel free to pick and choose. Had several first dates, but I have wanted second dates with very few. I have been fortunate enough to even maintain a friendship for a few years. No spark for a relationship, but enjoyable conversations.

Well, I need to get going. I'm at work and I have several meetings today.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #21
amtag
Mouseketeer

I haven't dated since my daughter's father and I split up. I really could find the time if I wanted to, but I don't really want to, i hope someday that will change LOL! My daughter is 5 TODAY ( ) and we haven't seen or heard from her dad since she was 14 months old ( ). I agree with one of the previous posters that you never know when you could meet someone, I just haven't been looking either Great to have this little group to chat with!

When my daughter woke up this morning she said I'm 5 today - are we going to Disney world now...hahahahaha, I'm like, no, not until August! When am I going to learn not to tell her stuff too far ahead of time

Old 06-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #22
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtag View Post
I haven't dated since my daughter's father and I split up. I really could find the time if I wanted to, but I don't really want to, i hope someday that will change LOL! My daughter is 5 TODAY ( ) and we haven't seen or heard from her dad since she was 14 months old ( ). I agree with one of the previous posters that you never know when you could meet someone, I just haven't been looking either Great to have this little group to chat with!

When my daughter woke up this morning she said I'm 5 today - are we going to Disney world now...hahahahaha, I'm like, no, not until August! When am I going to learn not to tell her stuff too far ahead of time
Happy birthday to your daughter!

I too am glad we have a group to chat with.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #23
adaygaby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtag View Post
I haven't dated since my daughter's father and I split up. I really could find the time if I wanted to, but I don't really want to, i hope someday that will change LOL! My daughter is 5 TODAY ( ) and we haven't seen or heard from her dad since she was 14 months old ( ).
FELIZ CUMPLEAŅOS TO YOUR LIL' PRINCESS
11/2006 CSR
05/1995 All-Star Music (HS Senior Trip)

adaygaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #24
adaygaby
DIS Veteran

Jumping on the bandwagon here..!

I've been a single mom for 1.5 yrs; was married for 13yrs. I will be taking DS6 to Disney in August as a birthday present (even though his 7th bday is 'til September). He went with me in 2007 but only did 2 days of Disney since I was stuck in a business conference for the majority of the time.

There is definitely huge struggles being a single parent especially if you don't have the other parent to help... but hey we've been trotting right along pretty good. And I am one lucky person that has a great support from my family, wouldn't had made it this much without them.

Looking forward to making some new friends!
11/2006 CSR
05/1995 All-Star Music (HS Senior Trip)

adaygaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #25
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Hello,

I've been a single parent since March when my husband passed away after a long illness. My daughter is 7 and my son is 5 months old. We just got back from our first vacation alone. I took them to Virginia Beach for 5 nights. It was a lot of work as my son isn't event sitting upright on his own yet. Add to that it was his first time away from home. Va Beach is 3.5 hrs away for us, so I drove and I brought quite a few of his things (infant rocker, boppy pillow, comforter, 3 blankets). Lots of lifting for just me, but worth it. I needed to give my mind a break and get us away from the hustle and bustle of our daily routine. While we were gone I talked to my daughter about why we were away-that it was important for us to spend time together like that, where we could just hang out together.

We had an ocean front room at a Holiday Inn. We did the aquarium, zoo, a dolphin watch boat tour, played in the hotel pool and on the beach. I put my son's feet in the ocean for the first time and he loved it. He also loved the sand-ICK! Not the introduction to solids I had in mind. Other than that he stretched out under the tent I bought and watched his sister play in the sand. He also took a nap in it while my daughter and I played in the waves. Love that tent, so worth the money.

Quite a few people say they could never have done that beach trip, but for the most part, it went smoothly. My husband was sick for quite a while so my daughter and I had traveled alone before and at 5 months old, my son just went with the flow as long as I didn’t let him get too hungry and he could nap. Although the Godparents (who are beyond amazing) said we could take vacations together, I know a lot of times I'll be on my own. Plus, I feel like it's important for me to have time alone with my children. And I will admit to being pretty proud of myself after our trip.

Like the OP said, it may feel like I'm the only single mom, but far from it. So while it looks extraordinary to many, most of the time I just feel like I do what I have to do. People's eyes widened and their mouths drop when they see me holding an infant and find out my husband is dead, but I also frequent a young widow's board and I couldn't believe how many moms lost their husbands either while pregnant or right after their baby was born like I did. It is hard...it is really hard, but I know my husband would want us to enjoy life and being the fighter he was he wouldn't have "let go" and left if he didn't think I could do this.

Onward and upward I hope. I'm hoping to do a surprise Disney trip with them for my daughter's fall break this year. It will just be 4 days so we'll likely just do MK or 3 day of MK and one day of HS, so there's no pressure (can't see it all anyway) and I'm motivated to do it again.

Hugs to all

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #26
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Welcome! I will make a proper post this evening when I have something more than my phone.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #27
amtag
Mouseketeer

LUVMY2BABIES, you should be so proud of yourself, you are doing such wonderful things for your children all while grieving the loss of your husband. Welcome

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I hope my little girl is enjoying her day at school, we brought cupcakes for snack today. Can't wait to get out of work today. My parents are coming over, we are making tacos (my daughter's favorite!) for dinner and Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream Cupcakes for dessert! Family and friends party on Friday to celebrate too

Old 06-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #28
jennyf2
DIS Veteran

Great Thread!

Good Morning!

Single MN mom here! We have been to Disney many times (I work for an airline so air fare is free) just the 3 of us I have 2 boys ages 16 & 9--we are very busy with sports & school activities. My oldest son just told me this week that he doesn't want to play football this year so I have been trying to re-arrange our August trip. I originally had everything planned for 8/4-8/11 now I'm pricing out different weeks in August to find the cheapest deal. We are going to stay at the ASSports--CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Anyone else going in August??

Now living 10 minutes from DISNEY
jennyf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #29
amtag
Mouseketeer

We are staying at the All Star Movies from 8/25-8/29, we are driving down from NJ, leaving on the 21st and stopping in Ocala first to visit my dad's father and step-mother. We did the free dining plan too

Old 06-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #30
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

It sounds like we can draw on each others experiences. I am so thrilled that so many are finding this happy little thread.

Still posting from my phone, come on 4pm!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: