Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
aussiegirls
DIS Veteran

Where to stay in San Diego???

Hi Guys

So I am thinking of adding on a stay in San Diego to our trip but I am lost as to places to stay. I have looked online a little but as I am unfamiliar with the area I don't really know where I am looking at.

The main things we would do whilst there are Sea World, Legoland and lots of shopping (possibly the zoo too but that is at the bottom of the list). I don't plan on renting a car so we would be looking at staying somewhere central to those places or at least close to some transport.

Any help would be much appreciated

xxx
Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Kalice
Mouseketeer

Hi,
Not sure how many people in your party. We stayed at the Omni in the Gaslamp quarter. There was a train station just near the side entrance to the hotel, using this it connected to a bus to seaworld and also to Old Town. We didn't go to the zoo even though we had tickets, opting instead to walk to the water and catch the ferry to the Coronado, which was well worth a visit. Loved sitting on the deck here, had a great feel to it.

Not sure about Lego land, but there's probably a bus out there too. There are soooo many restaurants in the gaslamp quarter, one of our faves was the spaghetti factory on the main drag.

If you do opt to stay here, join the select guest program, you get free internet, express check-in (it really was express, basically handed our keys and on our way!) plus two free drinks per person. The kids loved having their drinks delivered to the room, they had a juice each and a fab starbucks hot chocolate each. They were also given a giftbag, which had a little torch, drinkbottle, toys, some lollies etc. There was a note with the drink bottle that said if you took it to the restaurant they'd fill it for free, although we didn't try this. We actually earned a free night at any Omni as we stayed with them in Washington DC....now ... is that a good enough excuse to rush back to US I'm not sure hubby would buy it.
Kalice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
mr.bungle
DIS Veteran

Gaslamp is a great area, lots of bars and restaurants, the baseball park is right over there too. I've stayed at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn on Shelter Island but I don't think it would be a good place to get around to attractions without a car, but it is close to Sea World. Legoland is in Carlsbad about 30 miles north of SD. Hotels.com will show you details about hotels with user reviews and a map of all the hotels in the area.
mr.bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
glara
Earning My Ears

Watching with interest as we're planning 3 nights in San Diego when we go next May, but will have a car.

My OC based friend is going to try and think of a couple of options - if she does, will post them here for Aussiegirls and anyone else interested.

Disneyland Resort - 1977
Tokyo Disneyland - 1988

glara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

Hi, we are planning 6 nights in San Diego in June 2011. I have picked out the Courtyard Marriott at Liberty Station -ranked #2 on the Trip Advisor reviews for San Diego.
Sep/Oct 2013 - 5 weeks California & surrounds road trip, ending of course in Disneyland
Oct 2014 - First trip to WDW planned!
Caroline NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
arje
Mouseketeer

The Dana Inn on Mission Bay is great. It's a short walk to Sea World, and a good place to grab transport from to go anywhere. Driving or bus it's more central than it looks, and a relaxing resort style atmosphere as well.

Visit www.dudisneyana.info
arje is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: