Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #211
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

People are most definitely passing the test seats and failing the real thing. I rode singles yesterday and could tell by sight that the guy next to me was questionable and surely had been tested at the end of the line. Sure enough, he got one click and they really, really had to smoosh it for two and could not get three, so he had to get off literally at the very last minute.
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #212
bouncy54
I Believe In Fairy Magic

I'm 5'3" and weigh 220. I'm pretty evenly proportioned. I was the same size when I last visited IOA in 2005. I fit into the modified seats of both the Hulk and Dragons easily. I knew I would have to use those seats by sitting in the ones outside the ride so when I got to the front of the line, I knew to ask the operator who was very kind and discreet and showed me row 3 and which seat to sit in.

So my strategy is to try the seats outside of FJ and if I come close to fitting then will ask to try the seats inside before getting on the ride. I'll be disappointed if I don't fit, but have my mind adjusted to the very real possibility that I won't. I had a great time at IOA in 2005 without FJ and I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much without it this time if I don't get to experience FJ. Just sayin...
bouncy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #213
bouncy54
I Believe In Fairy Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkkognito View Post
People are most definitely passing the test seats and failing the real thing. I rode singles yesterday and could tell by sight that the guy next to me was questionable and surely had been tested at the end of the line. Sure enough, he got one click and they really, really had to smoosh it for two and could not get three, so he had to get off literally at the very last minute.
You mean they're passing the test seats outside and the test seats on the inside, but not the real seats? That's just plain stupid! They need to make all the seats the same size! That's setting people up to be embarrassed.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #214
mysparky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy54 View Post
So my strategy is to try the seats outside of FJ and if I come close to fitting then will ask to try the seats inside before getting on the ride. I'll be disappointed if I don't fit, but have my mind adjusted to the very real possibility that I won't. I had a great time at IOA in 2005 without FJ and I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much without it this time if I don't get to experience FJ. Just sayin...
Bouncy -
Just want you to know that the outside test seats definitely did NOT fit me. The woman helping people w/ the test seats told me that the test seats were exactly the same size as the seats inside and if I didn't fit outside, then I wouldn't fit on the actual ride seats.

BUT...like you, I had combed through this thread and found many people stating that the outside seats seemed smaller. So, I took the attitude that I'd still go through the queue to ck everything out and if I didn't get to ride, then I didn't get to ride.

When we walked through the queue, I thought I may be pulled out for the "inside" test seats, but they let me walk right on by! I sat down on the actual ride, pulled the restraint down and click, click, click, click! I'm actually not sure if I got 4 or 5 clicks, but it was with no effort whatsoever.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'1", weigh 210 and am also pretty evenly proportioned.
mysparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #215
bouncy54
I Believe In Fairy Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysparky View Post
Bouncy -
Just want you to know that the outside test seats definitely did NOT fit me. The woman helping people w/ the test seats told me that the test seats were exactly the same size as the seats inside and if I didn't fit outside, then I wouldn't fit on the actual ride seats.

BUT...like you, I had combed through this thread and found many people stating that the outside seats seemed smaller. So, I took the attitude that I'd still go through the queue to ck everything out and if I didn't get to ride, then I didn't get to ride.

When we walked through the queue, I thought I may be pulled out for the "inside" test seats, but they let me walk right on by! I sat down on the actual ride, pulled the restraint down and click, click, click, click! I'm actually not sure if I got 4 or 5 clicks, but it was with no effort whatsoever.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'1", weigh 210 and am also pretty evenly proportioned.
Your post gives me hope! Thank you!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #216
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy54 View Post
You mean they're passing the test seats outside and the test seats on the inside, but not the real seats? That's just plain stupid! They need to make all the seats the same size! That's setting people up to be embarrassed.
I don't know if he tried the one outside but I'd definitely bet they made him try the one inside. He had much of his weight in his chest which seems to be the killer. They really did try to smash it down but two was hard enough...three wasn't happening. That surprises me beause you'd think the same thing would have happened at the end-of-line test seat. I really felt sorry for him. So close, then to have to bail and leave his wife and child.
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #217
bouncy54
I Believe In Fairy Magic

Quote:
I don't know if he tried the one outside but I'd definitely bet they made him try the one inside. He had much of his weight in his chest which seems to be the killer. They really did try to smash it down but two was hard enough...three wasn't happening. That surprises me beause you'd think the same thing would have happened at the end-of-line test seat. I really felt sorry for him. So close, then to have to bail and leave his wife and child.
Oh man... that had to have hurt the guy.

I've heard that the seats on the end may be just a bit bigger. Going to steer my 30yo son to one of those. He's tall and big, but not real big. Wears a 1 or 2X shirt, depending on the shirt. Most of his height is in his torso.. has short legs. I'm concerned about the harness not fitting over the shoulders because of how long he is in that area of the body.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #218
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer

I still feel foolish about volunteering myself to the inside seat testers. The outside seat tester buttonholed me, so no "escape" there, but I wish I had tried to sneak past the inside test seats. Next time I'll study my fully unfolded park map as I walk past...heh.
MIChessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #219
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
venture this whole vague cutoff is what is driving many of us nutz

Going from memory in this rambling thread, ive read:

*that weight up to 240 or so is reportedly okay (so you can be heavy, but proportioned 'correctly'...bit of an oxymoron imo)

*in another account a person, who is 80 pounds less (160 pds) indicates they didn't fit or couldn't click 3 times.

sigh

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #220
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
venture this whole vague cutoff is what is driving many of us nutz

Going from memory in this rambling thread, ive read:

*that weight up to 240 or so is reportedly okay (so you can be heavy, but proportioned 'correctly'...bit of an oxymoron imo)

*in another account a person, who is 80 pounds less (160 pds) indicates they didn't fit or couldn't click 3 times.

sigh
Height makes a huge difference, so that's why they can't really have a weight cutoff.

My husband is 5' 8" and weighs about 160 lbs and wouldn't have an issue getting on the ride. If my 5' daughter weighed 160 lbs, I could see her having an issue getting on the ride.

Weight really isn't the determining factor of who gets on, it is definitely proportion. I can see why it is impossible for them to state restrictions. I can also see how it is frustrating for those who aren't sure they'll get to ride.

Last edited by damo; 08-24-2010 at 10:11 AM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #221
rKrispyt
Earning My Ears

Update on my goal to fit on FJ

Some of you asked that I pop in with updates, so here I am!

Is it worth starting a thread for those of us on a mission to lose weight to fit on Forbidden Journey so we're not overtaking another thread where this maaay not be appropriate? Thoughts?

Having a rough week with everything else, particularly feeling burnt out at work (I haven't taken any time off since the first week of April in an effort to save up PTO time for my Disney vacation - and now I'm feeling it, lol) but feeling better about the working out. Probably had my best workouts yet from Saturday to last night - I think since I didn't get all busy and miss a day like last week I'm still moving forward with building up my stamina, etc. I"m starting to kick some Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred butt! Also got up on Saturday and Sunday and did my 5 mile daily walk rather than sitting out the weekend (been walking 5 miles round trip to and from work each weekday).

Still eating healthy (and recently discovered SmartOnes for $1.99 each at Target - GODSEND: cheap, delicious and low-cal) except that the past few days I'm finding that I'm having a hard time getting ENOUGH calories - the past two nights I came back from work with between 650 and 800 calories to get in for the rest of the day (that's with breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack) so I need to figure something out, cause having SmartOnes for dinner doesn'help as the highest one I found was 290. I don't want to get into any habit of starving myself NOR eating 1000 or under a day. That's not okay. Working on that.

The good news, I THINK, is that I seem to have lost 5 pounds. Maybe more. The thing is, I'm not sure if I trust the scale I bought. All of the sudden now it's not setting back to zero and is being a little wonky. I tried weighing my hand weights and it seems to be accurate, but like, every 3rd time I put them on there, it'll say it's just under the weight it is and then not set back to zero. Friday night immediately after working out I weighed myself and it showed no difference - it was maaaaybe showing one pound or half-ish. Then Saturday night right before bed, Sunday morning, Sunday before bed, and Monday morning I weighed myself and it showed that I weighted 5 pounds less. Now between Monday morning and just after working out last night and showering it was showing I think another 2 pounds, maybe 3 as lost. That can't be right, so I'm really confused.

Been trying to stop to really consider if things I'm wearing fit differently and I'm just not sure. My bra kinda feels different - the cup size seems a little too big right now but I can't be certain. I have one dress I've worn every Monday to get a feel for whether I'm losing weight but I realized yesterday it's the worst thing to have chosen, lol - it's a completely loose dress that's not form fitting anywhere but maybe in it's short sleeves, lol, so who knows. I guess I feel like it's so absurd that I'd have lost this much weight since last Sunday (I weighed myself August 15 last before the times mentioned above) and I feel like I'd feel more of a difference somehow - at least see it in my face. I'm just not sure though. Any tips on how else to tell? Should I get a tape measure or something and be taking my measurements as well?

Regardless, when I got on the scale Friday and it showed no loss since I started, I had already had a terrible week and was overwhelmed and on the verge of tears all day, but I didn't cry. Just said to myself "It'll happen, just keep going with it" rather than getting into a mindset of "all this has been for nothing so far" so...I'm sticking to that and we'll see what happens.

How's everyone else doing that's losing weight?

rKrispyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #222
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Height makes a huge difference, so that's why they can't really have a weight cutoff.

My husband is 5' 8" and weighs about 160 lbs and wouldn't have an issue getting on the ride. If my 5' daughter weighed 160 lbs, I could see her having an issue getting on the ride.

Weight really isn't the determining factor of who gets on, it is definitely proportion. I can see why it is impossible for them to state restrictions. I can also see how it is frustrating for those who aren't sure they'll get to ride.
frustrated is an apprapo choice of words!

as the previous poster mentioned (you go girl) it might just be the tipping point for me to walk another mile or 2 every day. Problem is some people are just top/bottom-heavy or both, no matter how how weight they lose.

This is the 1st time ive ever read/experienced a judgement call type issue when on getting on a ride. trust me, if you are overweight, you have a pretty good idea if there might be an issue with fitting on a certain type of ride.

I just find it bizarre that even the most agressive coasters @ Cedar Point appear to be more forgiving than HP. CP employs the test seats outside many of their rides (seems to be a problem for mostly people with 'guts' for lack of a better term, vs large chest/bust or thighs issue @ HP). i've never heard of anybody complaining regarding 'passing' the CP test seats outside, then 'failing' once they sit in actual seat on the ride.

ah well, im going to suck it up and realize the ride restraints & seats aren't going to magically morph to accommodate me, but i will throw in both mummy & pixie dust for all of us one-size-doesn't fit all types who may find themselves teetering on the cusp.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #223
elf
DIS Veteran

I got on three times last week. I was so nervous because I was going with another family and would have felt humilated being called off to have a seat check. So I went on ride last, if I had to get off hopefully no one would notice. No one called me for seat check.

I felt like the biggest person on line each time and I really looked, because I was paranoid. The family I was with had no idea of the size requirements but I was the only Pooh size in the group. But it all happened so fast, I got on, I couldn't click it closed myself and panic set in. The CM had to close me in each time, it was not uncomfortable though, I had a bit a leg and upper room.
I'm 5'2 size 18 pants, 20 top.
Just wanted to post hoping to help someone else who may be worried.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #224
bouncy54
I Believe In Fairy Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
I got on three times last week. I was so nervous because I was going with another family and would have felt humilated being called off to have a seat check. So I went on ride last, if I had to get off hopefully no one would notice. No one called me for seat check.

I felt like the biggest person on line each time and I really looked, because I was paranoid. The family I was with had no idea of the size requirements but I was the only Pooh size in the group. But it all happened so fast, I got on, I couldn't click it closed myself and panic set in. The CM had to close me in each time, it was not uncomfortable though, I had a bit a leg and upper room.
I'm 5'2 size 18 pants, 20 top.
Just wanted to post hoping to help someone else who may be worried.
Did you happen to see any wheel chairs in line? I'm going to be in one, or a scooter, and was wondering if there is a separate loading area for us?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #225
phamton
Proud Redhead
My husband is right...It is all about me!Shooting your own exhaust is like cheating at solitaire

DISboards Moderator

Wheel chairs do go through the regular line but scooters can not. You will have to transfer to a wheelchair from the scooter before entering the line.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: