Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #196
Gryffindor_Mouse
Earning My Ears

@SharkyGoddess

Destination Theme Park got the seat measurements for FJ.

http://www.destinationthemepark.com/...-measurements/

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....at+measurments
Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #197
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyGoddess View Post
It would be nice if they would post the seat measurements on this ride to save people trouble. I'm chunky and have heavy thighs and a bubble butt.
Not sure how the seat measurements will help. You would have to go and build yourself a prototype. You need the height between the bottom of your thighs and the bottom of the restraints when closed, after you are sittin and squished into the seat. Then you also need to determine the circumference of your chest/middle and the perimeter of the chest area of the seat once the restraints are closed, to see if you can fit in there. A simple seat measurement really is of no assistance (although it was really nice of the person to get it as someone requested it of her).
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #198
SharkyGoddess
Happier than a Shark at a Sushi Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffindor_Mouse View Post
@SharkyGoddess

Destination Theme Park got the seat measurements for FJ.

http://www.destinationthemepark.com/...-measurements/

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....at+measurments
Thank you!
First trip 1987 ~Disney & Bush Gardens with best friend and Dad Second trip 1991 ~ US with friendsThird trip July 2002 ~ Disney & US/IOA with my kiddos Fourth trip July 2004 ~US/IOA A very pregnant me and my two kiddos Fifth trip October 2007 ~Disney for MNSSHP ASM with my kiddos and Sweet Babboo Sixth trip October 2010 ~US/IOA for HHN & WWoHP with Babboo & KiddosSeventh Trip October 2013~ US/IOA with the fam & HHN with my Sweet Babboo, Mac, Marquibiri, Pax & Dora
"Just behind the reef are the big white teeth of the sharks that can swim on the land."
SharkyGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #199
SharkyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Not sure how the seat measurements will help. You would have to go and build yourself a prototype. You need the height between the bottom of your thighs and the bottom of the restraints when closed, after you are sittin and squished into the seat. Then you also need to determine the circumference of your chest/middle and the perimeter of the chest area of the seat once the restraints are closed, to see if you can fit in there. A simple seat measurement really is of no assistance (although it was really nice of the person to get it as someone requested it of her).

I understand your point, but knowing the seat measurements as far as how wide your rear is, or thighs are helps you determine whether you'll even fit in the seat. That part for me I know will be snug, but... maybe I will still fit and make the infamous 3 clicks. I hope anyway. Personally, this just makes me more determined to work hard at losing my weight
First trip 1987 ~Disney & Bush Gardens with best friend and Dad Second trip 1991 ~ US with friendsThird trip July 2002 ~ Disney & US/IOA with my kiddos Fourth trip July 2004 ~US/IOA A very pregnant me and my two kiddos Fifth trip October 2007 ~Disney for MNSSHP ASM with my kiddos and Sweet Babboo Sixth trip October 2010 ~US/IOA for HHN & WWoHP with Babboo & KiddosSeventh Trip October 2013~ US/IOA with the fam & HHN with my Sweet Babboo, Mac, Marquibiri, Pax & Dora
"Just behind the reef are the big white teeth of the sharks that can swim on the land."
Old 08-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #200
phamton
Proud Redhead
My husband is right...It is all about me!Shooting your own exhaust is like cheating at solitaire

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardingWorldGifts View Post
This is absolutely the most amazing ride ever, but it does not accomodate about 30% of the people who wish to ride.
I think 30% is waaaay to high. If that were the case, I would expect to see about one out of 3 people who couldn't fit in the test seat or car. I was in line for over 2 hours and saw many people try out the test seat and get on the ride and I didn't see one person who didn't make the cut. I was in the line that looped around clear to Spiderman and most of those people had no idea that the ride didn't fit all body types. They all stayed in line the whole way and all of the people I saw in line got on the ride.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #201
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer

I also did not see anyone, other than myself, fail either the outside or the inside test seats. It's my understanding that people have succeeded in the test seats and failed in the actual ride seats, and vice versa. Pretty strange. To the best of my knowledge, I did not get as much as one 'click' in any test seat. I've been told that I would probably have to lose about 60 pounds to have a chance, and even then it's 50-50. After being shown out by the fat police, I took out my wand and chanted, "Corpus reductio!" but was informed that doesn't work in real life.
MIChessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #202
TraceyL
Always planning........
I'm a very patient Welsh believer!
Did you know that one of the TF's is part Welsh, Tracey? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardingWorldGifts
This is absolutely the most amazing ride ever, but it does not accomodate about 30% of the people who wish to ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamton View Post
I think 30% is waaaay to high. If that were the case, I would expect to see about one out of 3 people who couldn't fit in the test seat or car. I was in line for over 2 hours and saw many people try out the test seat and get on the ride and I didn't see one person who didn't make the cut. I was in the line that looped around clear to Spiderman and most of those people had no idea that the ride didn't fit all body types. They all stayed in line the whole way and all of the people I saw in line got on the ride.
An exaggeration surely?
Rode it several times over the course of 4 days - if 30% of people who wished to ride could not be accommodated I also think I would have seen at least one person fail to fit in the test seats or be asked to leave their ride vehicle. Sure some may not have bothered to try the seats/ride but I saw none fail

I'm a curvy lady who fitted with clicks to spare
Hallowe'en 2007 Sunset Lakes again & HRH ~ Hallowe'en 2008 Highlands Reserve Villa & HRH
Christmas & New Year 2009 Bella Vida, HRH & Pop ~ Jul/Aug 2010 back for Harry Potter
Christmas 2012 OKW/Bahama Bay - Solo!!

TraceyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #203
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

The percentage of Americans who are obese (according to internet statistics) is 30%.

Since it has been said that obese people can't fit on FJ, the conclusion has been made that 30% of people can't ride.

Perhaps 30% of the general American population wouldn't be able to ride but theme park population is not a general American population. I would assume that the obese percentage in a normal Universal Orlando population that want to ride FJ is much much much lower.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #204
TraceyL
Always planning........
I'm a very patient Welsh believer!
Did you know that one of the TF's is part Welsh, Tracey? :)

Technically my BMI makes me 'just' obese - as I said .. clicks to spare

Maybe not a sound conclusion to draw
Hallowe'en 2007 Sunset Lakes again & HRH ~ Hallowe'en 2008 Highlands Reserve Villa & HRH
Christmas & New Year 2009 Bella Vida, HRH & Pop ~ Jul/Aug 2010 back for Harry Potter
Christmas 2012 OKW/Bahama Bay - Solo!!

TraceyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #205
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purseval View Post
I'm wondering what they will do when the first person who can't get 3 clicks refuses to get off.
lots of securitybeing that it's a big person & all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
They had an incident like that in the first couple days. They had to shut down the whole ride, and they were a lot stricter about letting oversize people on for awhile after that. There were reports of TMs flatly refusing to push down on the restraints at all.

So basically, refusing to get off is ruining it for everyone.
I can understand their frustration though if they fit in the outside test seat, then waited in long line, to be told no.

there is a wildly differing range of who fits & doesn't, many times both reporting same body weights, etc.

im going to tread lightly here & throw this out, apologize in advance if i offend anybody! many women have 'back' and can be otherwise within visual norms of being non-obsese. It's often a cultural perference or hereditary vs actual choice. the designers droppped the ball imo.

i think Kim Kardashian should be a test subject, wonder if she'd fit?

Quote:
The percentage of Americans who are obese (according to internet statistics) is 30%.

Since it has been said that obese people can't fit on FJ, the conclusion has been made that 30% of people can't ride.

Perhaps 30% of the general American population wouldn't be able to ride but theme park population is not a general American population. I would assume that the obese percentage in a normal Universal Orlando population that want to ride FJ is much much much lower.
Interesting thought, i'd venture the % is much higher in the theme park population in MCO, especially WDW, as it draws from more of a general crowd & gets larger attendance.

Not to be confused with the typical pre-HP profile of a Universal guest...one who perfers more agressive rides that Disney offers, that employ more exclusionary restraints as to body type. They probably have done the drill before @ Six Flaggs, Cedar Point, etc. & know how they typically fit their body type...and are shocked to find out they don't fit in what they consider to be a family attraction

Last edited by keishashadow; 08-22-2010 at 09:07 AM.
keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #206
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
Interesting thought, i'd venture the % is much higher in the theme park population in MCO, especially WDW, as it draws from more of a general crowd & gets larger attendance.
What I was trying to say was that the very obese people probably aren't going to theme parks, so that percentage can be taken off of the 30%.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #207
SharkyGoddess

Have you all ever heard of Gabrile Iglasies (sp?) ? He does a skit about roller coasters that had even this chubby chick roaring with laughter. It's worth a looksie... but I won't post since I just know someone will run and tattle on me.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #208
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
What I was trying to say was that the very obese people probably aren't going to theme parks, so that percentage can be taken off of the 30%.
not trying to argumentativeWDW gets some very big guests (personal observation over the years) vs Universal and other parks. no flameing, ive never been a skinny chick, happy with my bad self.

quite likely, WDW is one of the most pooh sized friendly parks, one size fits nearly all. Im guessing there are many trying U for the 1st time due due to HP and being surprised that the seats are geared to a certain body type...whatever that might be as simple height/weight parameters don't cover certain body parts being oversized

Going from memory there have been folks who reported they're 180 pds & not making the mark, when ones near 250 pds say they were a-okay. It's def not the norm with most rides elsewhere.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #209
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

so another question--is the queue scooter friendly? Can't stand for 50 minutes or more.

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #210
bouncy54
I Believe In Fairy Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
so another question--is the queue scooter friendly? Can't stand for 50 minutes or more.
Can't seem to get an answer to this question. I'm thinking that we may have to transfer to a WC like some attractions at WDW, but maybe not. I'm pretty sure there is an elevator and a special loading area for disabled persons from some posts I've been reading. Wish IOA would update their ADA page with more helpful information.
bouncy54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: