Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #106
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygiene99 View Post
What is the fine, for not following the PSVA?

Per Person or per ship?
Has a cruise line be known to just pay the fine to get the route the may want? thanks HH
The fine was $200 per passenger. It might now be $300 per passenger.

However, intentional violation of the law would be another matter. The cruise line would be likely to lose its U.S. port privileges.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #107
Page4
Mouseketeer

This sounds good but I think I would rather stay in Hawaii at a resort. Sea days are cool but I would rather see hawaii at my leisure.
Page4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #108
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygiene99 View Post
What is the fine, for not following the PSVA?

Per Person or per ship?
Has a cruise line be known to just pay the fine to get the route the may want? thanks HH
I know that several ships have been fined for not having the foreign port call when they had to cancel due to weather/engine problems (I can remember several NCL cruises that they had to cancel Fanning Island on their Hawaii cruises.) I believe the fine could have been up to $200/passenger (can't remember what the actual fines were). Since these are foreign flagged ships/companies, I don't think anyone has risked their status by openingly ignoring the PSVA and I'm not sure they would be allowed to dock to embark passengers on a voyage that knowingly broke US law.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #109
Poohbug
Sherlocked

Fanning Island has been an option to meet the requirements for some other cruise lines. The downside is it can add too many days to an already long cruise.

If DCL needs any more suggestions, I would love to see Australia and New Zealand.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #110
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I have merged the two threads (the original one and the one started today) since they both discuss same subject.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #111
been2marceline
Fish are Food, not Friends!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Even though the cruise line can't offer the one-way, I can make it a one way if I choose - there is no law that prevents me from getting off in Hawaii if I want to.

That may be an expensive way to circumvent the rules - but it would depend on the net cost.

Isn't one of the major cruise lines offering the point to point option? - i.e. I choose the port on which to embark and debark.
DIS Cruising, Been There, Done That: - 77 Day Eastern - Fantasy Jan '14, Wonder - Nov. '11 MR, 14 Day Magic - Eastern Repo LA - PC Aug. '05 ,7 Day Magic - Western,7 Day Eastern Nov. '07, 4 Day Wonder - What - another one? Thieves Reunion 10/4/14, now it's chronic... 10/15 EBPC!!!

DW DH DD19
been2marceline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #112
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by been2marceline View Post
Even though the cruise line can't offer the one-way, I can make it a one way if I choose - there is no law that prevents me from getting off in Hawaii if I want to.

That may be an expensive way to circumvent the rules - but it would depend on the net cost.
There is a law. It's the PVSA of 1886. Yes, the law applies to the carrier (the cruise line).

If you board in Los Angeles, disembark in Honolulu, and skip the rest of your cruise, the cruise line would have to pay a $300 fine for you and anyone in your party who does the same thing. The cruise line would be guilty of violating the PVSA regardless of why you ended your cruise at a different U.S port than where you started. The violations would count against the Captain's license, so the Captain absolutely wouldn't want you to cause violations.

The cruise line would probably try to recover the fine from you, especially if you didn't disembark for medical reasons or a family emergency.

Also, you would get only about half of a cruise instead of the full cruise that you paid for. Considering that West Coast repositioning cruises that calls on Hawaii takes around two weeks, you'd be paying a lot of money for a lot of days that you wouldn't get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by been2marceline View Post
Isn't one of the major cruise lines offering the point to point option? - i.e. I choose the port on which to embark and debark.
That's the case on round-the-world cruises and other long cruises. A passenger could, for example, choose to start in Hong Kong and end in New Zealand.

That's NOT the case with cruises on foreign-registered ships with itineraries involving two or more U.S. ports. The cruise line is not allowed to carry you between two U.S. ports unless you go to a distant foreign port in-between.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #113
aan1701
DIS Veteran

So I decided to eamil a friend of mine that works for DCL and has never stered me wrong. Of course I emailed my friend at home. The reply I got, makes me think that I am right on my theory. I say this for three reasons, one it has been posted here, two, my friend works on the special interary planing team, and three my friend woul dflat out deny if I was wrong. Instead of saying no this is not happing, my friend replied with only one word. Intersting. My friend would have found a way to deny it if it was not going to happen. My friend did the same when I asked about 2008 Panama Canal cruises and a return to the MR. I said L.A. to Vancuver via HI in May , and the same but back to L.A. in Sep. So thi stell s me that this is going to happen. I can't think of a better 40th birthday gift for my DW than going on the Sep Repo. I will overpay for this as it is her 40th.
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #114
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Sounds great but why do they have to make these during the school year. I'd be all over it but ds will be in HS then.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #115
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

Well if DCL is going to Hawaii I don't really have to worry about booking. I'd like to sail other places first so this would be on less cruise to worry about
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #116
diane648
Mouseketeer

Hawaii

I think one of the downsides of the MR cruises is missing out on Castaway Cay. If DCL went to Fanning Island, it seems that it would be a way for them to have a port similar to Castaway Cay. Granted, NCL had to tender there, but the location was so breathtaking! If they offered a Hawaiian Islands trip w/ Fanning Island (7 night) I'd be there in a heartbeat!
diane648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #117
BealsRwe
DIS Veteran

We are crossing our fingers here!

3 Platinum DCL Cruisers!
19 DCL cruises, 1 Carnival, 1 Royal Caribbean, and counting!!!
BealsRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #118
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane648 View Post
I think one of the downsides of the MR cruises is missing out on Castaway Cay. If DCL went to Fanning Island, it seems that it would be a way for them to have a port similar to Castaway Cay. Granted, NCL had to tender there, but the location was so breathtaking! If they offered a Hawaiian Islands trip w/ Fanning Island (7 night) I'd be there in a heartbeat!
Last time I checked, it was 2 sea days from Hawaii to Fanning Island, and 2 sea days back. If you only spent 1 day on Fanning Island, that would only leave you 2 days of a 7-night cruise actually on Hawaii (not counting debarkation day). That's a LONG way to go for only 2 days in Hawaii!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #119
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Last time I checked, it was 2 sea days from Hawaii to Fanning Island, and 2 sea days back. If you only spent 1 day on Fanning Island, that would only leave you 2 days of a 7-night cruise actually on Hawaii (not counting debarkation day). That's a LONG way to go for only 2 days in Hawaii!

Sayhello
Maybe this will be a 10 or 11 day cruise like they are doing in Med and did in the Baltic.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #120
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
Maybe this will be a 10 or 11 day cruise like they are doing in Med and did in the Baltic.
That would make way more sense than a 7-night.

But I still think it's going to be repos and not actual "Hawaiian" cruises, so going to Fanning Island is unlikely. When you have Honolulu and Ko Olina, do you really need Fanning Island? While it's supposed to be gorgeous, it's not like it has the facilities that Castaway Cay has, so it's hardly a replacement for Castaway Cay. I don't think any of the cruiselines sail there any more.

I think it's way more likely to be, in May, 5 days from Ensenada to Hawaii, 5 days around Hawaii. Then 5 days around Hawaii, and 5 days to Vancouver. With the option to do back-to-backs if you have the time & money. Then repeat in reverse in September.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dcl hawaii, disney cruises to hawaii, hawaii disney cruise line

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: