Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #16
disneycruisegal
Mouseketeer
 
disneycruisegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 222

That would be sooooo awesome if DCL is going to Hawaii! My DH and I will be going if thats really the case.
disneycruisegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,618

If these are just repositioning cruises on either end of the Alaska season, they will likely be very popular and pricey - just as the Panama Canal cruises were in 2005 and 2008. I don't think I'll be lining up for this itinerary.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #18
geoffrey
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 143

Boy that would be an out of the way stop from LA to Vancouver. They would really be burning a lot of fuel just to get from point A to point B.
Unless they are planning other Hawaiian stops, seems like they would be running the engines at full power for many extra days.

I am wondering if there is more to this story
geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #19
Pluto,
DIS Veteran
 
Pluto,'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
Boy that would be an out of the way stop from LA to Vancouver. They would really be burning a lot of fuel just to get from point A to point B.
Unless they are planning other Hawaiian stops, seems like they would be running the engines at full power for many extra days.

I am wondering if there is more to this story
see the post above yours
Pluto, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #20
PrincessDuck
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 522

I am hoping for something that works with the kiddos school schedule because I really want on a disney Hawaii cruise.
PrincessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,122

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
If these are just repositioning cruises on either end of the Alaska season, they will likely be very popular and pricey - just as the Panama Canal cruises were in 2005 and 2008. I don't think I'll be lining up for this itinerary.
Due to commitments to LA port, I think out of LA, they have a contract with minimum no of calls there. IE on 7 night cruises circa 50% of year, so Hawaii will be 12/14 nights, depends if round trip, so LA based,

Maybe one out, another back and you can book B2B.

Via Mexico and sea days to Hawaii then port intensive. and vis versa.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #22
Hygiene99
I am quite the little Teapot
EVERYTHING DISNEY

May Repo Cruiser / Panama
 
Hygiene99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 9,672

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
If these are just repositioning cruises on either end of the Alaska season, they will likely be very popular and pricey - just as the Panama Canal cruises were in 2005 and 2008. I don't think I'll be lining up for this itinerary.
Our 14 day cruise May Repo 2005 Cost $2100.00
Think 2k with ship board credit not pricey at all!
they learned from 05 to 08 and jacked up prices!
Best deal we ever got.... and Best cruise we have been on!


Peter
Hygiene99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #23
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew DEREK UK View Post
Due to commitments to LA port, I think out of LA, they have a contract with minimum no of calls there. IE on 7 night cruises circa 50% of year, so Hawaii will be 12/14 nights, depends if round trip, so LA based,

Maybe one out, another back and you can book B2B.

Via Mexico and sea days to Hawaii then port intensive. and vis versa.
Or - LA to Hawaii via Ensenada, Mexico. Then Hawaii to Vancouver at the start of the Alaska cruise season. Reverse at the end of the Alaska cruise season.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygiene99 View Post
Our 14 day cruise May Repo 2005 Cost $2100.00
Think 2k with ship board credit not pricey at all!
they learned from 05 to 08 and jacked up prices!
Best deal we ever got.... and Best cruise we have been on!


Peter
If you were fortunate to get first tier pricing, you got a good deal. I recall the prices on the Panama Canal repo cruises going up hourly. I booked the 2008 WB cruise at first-tier pricing (and eventually cancelled it) - but most people paid a lot more.

Was your price $2100 per person or total? What category cabin? If it's per person for an inside cabin, then I don't think that's a good price.

Last edited by NancyIL; 06-13-2010 at 03:50 PM.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #25
clten
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
Boy that would be an out of the way stop from LA to Vancouver. They would really be burning a lot of fuel just to get from point A to point B.
Unless they are planning other Hawaiian stops, seems like they would be running the engines at full power for many extra days.

I am wondering if there is more to this story
I think the "more to the story" will be the other port calls on the itinerary. (But may not find out anytime soon, DCL doesn't like working with ports that leak their plans).

If you look at other cruiselines that reposition ships to Alaska, this is a fairly common repositioning cruise. The dates work with it being one cruise to get the Wonder up to Vancouver and one back. Repositioning cruises are not popular in general (airfare is usually higher to fly into one city and out of another, more sea days - which are a plus for some, negative for others). So cruiselines try to make the itineraries as special as possible to attract cruisers.
clten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #26
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
I think the "more to the story" will be the other port calls on the itinerary. (But may not find out anytime soon, DCL doesn't like working with ports that leak their plans).

If you look at other cruiselines that reposition ships to Alaska, this is a fairly common repositioning cruise. The dates work with it being one cruise to get the Wonder up to Vancouver and one back. Repositioning cruises are not popular in general (airfare is usually higher to fly into one city and out of another, more sea days - which are a plus for some, negative for others). So cruiselines try to make the itineraries as special as possible to attract cruisers.
LA to Vancouver is common. LA to Vancouver via Hawaii would need to be two cruises.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #27
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 58,853
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Best deal we ever got.... and Best cruise we have been on!
Me, too.

Mine was somewhere around that much for a Cat. 7 navigators verandah.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #28
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,618

Hawaii on Princess

I checked to see how Princess does their Hawaii cruises. The Royal Princess will do one 10-night repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu on Sept. 14, 2010 after the summer in Alaska: http://www.princess.com/find/itinera...e=1022&trade=H

The Golden Princess does 14-night roundtrips from Los Angeles with a stop in Ensenada, Mexico: http://www.princess.com/find/itinera...e=5034&trade=H
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #29
clten
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
LA to Vancouver is common. LA to Vancouver via Hawaii would need to be two cruises.
Doesn't need to be 2 cruises, just a 2 week cruise -- not unusual for DCL repositioning cruises. Here is one of HAL's repo for this fall:

02 Oct 2010 Vancouver, B.C., CA 03:00 PM
03 Oct 2010 At Sea
04 Oct 2010 At Sea
05 Oct 2010 At Sea
06 Oct 2010 At Sea
07 Oct 2010 Hilo, Hawaii, US Noon 11:00 PM
08 Oct 2010 Lahaina, Hawaii, US TR 08:00 AM 11:00 PM
09 Oct 2010 Honolulu, Hawaii, US 08:00 AM 11:00 PM
10 Oct 2010 Nawiliwili Kauai, Hawaii, US 08:00 AM 05:00 PM
11 Oct 2010 Kona, Hawaii, US TR 08:00 AM 04:00 PM
12 Oct 2010 At Sea
13 Oct 2010 At Sea
14 Oct 2010 At Sea
15 Oct 2010 At Sea
16 Oct 2010 At Sea
17 Oct 2010 San Diego, California, US 07:00 AM
clten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #30
gaylean93
I want to go back!
Bubble wrap and huge ziplocks!
 
gaylean93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,909

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
If you were fortunate to get first tier pricing, you got a good deal. I recall the prices on the Panama Canal repo cruises going up hourly. I booked the 2008 WB cruise at first-tier pricing (and eventually cancelled it) - but most people paid a lot more.

Was your price $2100 per person or total? What category cabin? If it's per person for an inside cabin, then I don't think that's a good price.
We went in 2008 on the EB and it was 4000.00 for an inside cabin for four of us. I think it is less than $70 a day per person. It seemed reasonable to me. I know the new ones are more though.
__________________
gaylean93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dcl hawaii, disney cruises to hawaii, hawaii disney cruise line



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.