Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #151
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-fan-22 View Post
The point is some government people are too stupid to realize that cruise lines don;t like having to abide by US labor laws and so they go elsewhere. When the stupid Gov.. people realized, "hey all of the cruise lines are going elsewhere. Why don;t we make a law that inconveniences Cruise passengers from all around the world and that makes Americas laws looks stupid!" then another person says, "thats a great idea!!!" and now US cruise ships have to abide by US labor laws and foreign ships have to abide by PSVA. Why they don;t realize that this does absolutely nothing to help them, I do not know!
The PVSA is from the 1800's - long before there was a cruise line industry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passeng...es_Act_of_1886
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #152
been2marceline
Fish are Food, not Friends!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I wonder who the lobbyist was in 1886 that bought off (oops convinced) Congress to pass the PVSA was?
DIS Cruising, Been There, Done That: - 77 Day Eastern - Fantasy Jan '14, Wonder - Nov. '11 MR, 14 Day Magic - Eastern Repo LA - PC Aug. '05 ,7 Day Magic - Western,7 Day Eastern Nov. '07, 4 Day Wonder - What - another one? Thieves Reunion 10/4/14, now it's chronic... 10/15 EBPC!!!

DW DH DD19
been2marceline is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #153
Disney Fool

The name says it all

And who wants to bet that this law will be overturned by 2012?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #154
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Fool View Post
If Disney couldn't get Glacier Bay permits in Alaska, they aren't going to get the PVSA overturned so they can cruise one-way to Hawaii!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #155
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Fool View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to bet against the continuation of a law that's been around for 124 years, and that almost nobody wants to eliminate except for a few cruise passengers on the Internet.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #156
disney 2010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson_ja View Post
My only problem with all of this is how to get enough money to go on all these cruises! I really want to do a med. trip now. Hawaii would be wonderful. We still have gone on a Western caribbean and then there's all the new ships. How do we fit it all in? lol.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 08-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #157
SanDeeKath
San Diego Sunshine

September and May?? Who is going to pull their children out of school to sail 2 weeks to Hawaii?? UGH. Disney needs to rethink those dates a little bit....

Katherine

SanDeeKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #158
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDeeKath View Post
September and May?? Who is going to pull their children out of school to sail 2 weeks to Hawaii?? UGH. Disney needs to rethink those dates a little bit....

Katherine
The same people who do for PC crossings & Trans-Atlantic repos.

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #159
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDeeKath View Post

Katherine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
The same people who do for PC crossings & Trans-Atlantic repos.
But that's the problem. The trans-atlantics are hard to fill and are often discounted. The 08 Eastbound crossing which was in August sold better than the May westbound.

Why would they repo to Vancouver via Hawaii in the off-season knowing that off-season long cruises are the hardest to sell?
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #160
SanDeeKath
San Diego Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfromca View Post
But that's the problem. The trans-atlantics are hard to fill and are often discounted. The 08 Eastbound crossing which was in August sold better than the May westbound.

Why would they repo to Vancouver via Hawaii in the off-season knowing that off-season long cruises are the hardest to sell?
I agree. I am sure it's going to be a Coastal Cruise N or S btw LA and YVR and then an LA RT Hawaii cruise with a stop in Ensenada. That's what the other cruise lines do and Disney really can't afford to do anything different at this point.

Katherine

SanDeeKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #161
minniemoms
There's no place like Disney

just subscribing

minniemoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:24 AM   #162
birkner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfromca View Post

While I agree there may be some discounting on the TA's this year, there are a good many of us on the WBTA in September who did not get discounted rates. What I have heard is that this cruise is full and there will be no upgrades available to purchase.

I think the September WBTA has attracted more adult couples if the DIS boards are any indication. We would have like to take our GK's but their schools will not permit a three week absence as we are in Barcelona for almost a week before the cruise.

Just my thoughts...

If there are cruises in the off season to Hawaii, DCL may attract even more adult couples. I know it would be more attractive to me and other people who want to sail from California avoiding airfare costs.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #163
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

What is the school calendar like in Asia? If that is a target market, then maybe school isn't an issue there.

I can't wait until these come out. Although I think they'll make the Baltic prices look like bargains...

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:30 AM   #164
ForTheLoveOfDCL
A Dream is a wish your <3 makes........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
According to your siggie your kids are only 6 & 9 so you can get by with doing that NOW...but when they're older (in MS & HS) and have advanced GT / AP classes you will sing a different song!! My DS is starting 8th grade next week and he's already doing HS credit classes...he had HS Algebra 1 & Spanish 1 last year and this year will be taking HS Geometry. It is very impt. that he keeps his GPA up as this goes on his permanent record for college entrance. He's also in GT English & Science classes so if he even misses a day or two for sickness or something he has SOOO much work to make up it isn't even funny. And the teachers at that level leave it all up to the kids to catch up. They don't hold their hands any more once they're out of elem. school. Our school system also does not give excused absenses for vacations - so they're counted as absent and if it's unexcused they don't have to even allow them to make up the work. Homework in our county does not count as part of their grades! And if he misses something that counts as 90% of his grade he is soooo screwed to try to catch back up.

While they may learn a lot of different things on a PC cruise or something it can't replace 14 days of HS Alegbra instruction or a science lab where they disect some small critter that counts as a big part of their grade. I'm just sayin'...take advantage of it now but be prepared that it won't always work that way... For this reason we'll never be able to do a repo until DS has moved out & on to college.

Annie-----you are probably right I wouldn't pull for 2 weeks but next yr my DD(10- now but-youngest in class) is in middle school and we are doing the Mexican Riviera. I already know she has more work to expect but we will figure it out, cause they will be gone soon enough and our time as a family is important and my DH can't get the time off they have off. Some of the DIS'ers seem to have fall break, we don't get that..I either have Xmas,easter or summer to choose from that's it! So we will always pull them for a weeks vacation, our school excuses them for that, I still get the note saying how many days they have missed but not held against them. They have 2 weeks to make up their work and I will try and get some a head of time to have them turn in before we go! They won't remember their lesson on rocks but they will always remember their family vacations!!

ForTheLoveOfDCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #165
Stitchnut
DIS Veteran

DCL + Hawaii= paradise. I would book!

Tags
dcl hawaii, disney cruises to hawaii, hawaii disney cruise line

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: