Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #136
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllocals View Post
Ok danfromca,
You have got me thinking. Where in Asia do you think DCL will go?
I'd like to see one-way cruises going from Hong Kong to Tokyo and then reversed. That would allow pre/post cruise stay tie-ins with both Disney park areas.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #137
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudo View Post
This was probably speculated, but I think the repo will be done in two parts to integrate Aulani. In May the Wonder will go to Hawaii from LA by way of Ensenada. The second leg of the repositioning will take the Wonder from Hawaii to Vancouver.

By breaking up the repo you now have what amounts to a long "Land & Sea" where you can stay at Aulani before or after the two Hawaiian cruises. The reverse would happen in September.
But you can't go from LA to Hawaii via Ensenada. This was allowed years ago but not any more. To do a one way, they would have to sail from Ensenada. It's a very inconvenient detail and I can't see DCL making this move in 2012 just to market their new resort.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #138
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudo View Post
This was probably speculated, but I think the repo will be done in two parts to integrate Aulani. In May the Wonder will go to Hawaii from LA by way of Ensenada. The second leg of the repositioning will take the Wonder from Hawaii to Vancouver.

By breaking up the repo you now have what amounts to a long "Land & Sea" where you can stay at Aulani before or after the two Hawaiian cruises. The reverse would happen in September.
There are a number of posts in this thread explaining why Disney cannot legally break the cruise into two parts. In short, it's because Los Angeles and Honolulu are both U.S. ports; DCL operates foreign ships; and there's an 1886 law called the PVSA that Disney must abide by.

There will not be any land-sea vacations combining a cruise with an Aulani stay.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #139
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheLoveOfDCL View Post
We take our kids out and would do it for a 14 nighter too....They will learn and experience more on a 14 day cruise then they will in school. Plus we bring their work and my kids get almost all but nightly reading and math facts done on the airplane. Our family time is important to their development as well!! I am hoping for a hawaii cruise.....can't wait for October in hopes of this on the 2012 itinerary!!
According to your siggie your kids are only 6 & 9 so you can get by with doing that NOW...but when they're older (in MS & HS) and have advanced GT / AP classes you will sing a different song!! My DS is starting 8th grade next week and he's already doing HS credit classes...he had HS Algebra 1 & Spanish 1 last year and this year will be taking HS Geometry. It is very impt. that he keeps his GPA up as this goes on his permanent record for college entrance. He's also in GT English & Science classes so if he even misses a day or two for sickness or something he has SOOO much work to make up it isn't even funny. And the teachers at that level leave it all up to the kids to catch up. They don't hold their hands any more once they're out of elem. school. Our school system also does not give excused absenses for vacations - so they're counted as absent and if it's unexcused they don't have to even allow them to make up the work. Homework in our county does not count as part of their grades! And if he misses something that counts as 90% of his grade he is soooo screwed to try to catch back up.

While they may learn a lot of different things on a PC cruise or something it can't replace 14 days of HS Alegbra instruction or a science lab where they disect some small critter that counts as a big part of their grade. I'm just sayin'...take advantage of it now but be prepared that it won't always work that way... For this reason we'll never be able to do a repo until DS has moved out & on to college.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #140
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

I'm with you all the way, Annie. My parents took us out of school 1 measly day early to do WDW at Christmas in 1996. That's it. It's impossible for older kids. I even thru my parents for a loop - I took summer school starting the summer between 8th grade and high school (I took Geometry so that I could take Algebra II as a freshman), and so on. Four summers of AP classes to keep the GPA high, and get me to take higher classes in high school (I took calculus as a junior! -- never took a study hall). Anyways, point of it, I even "screwed up" vacationing in the summer for the family - there was usually a little time in Aug between when summer school ended and the next year of high school began. My parents would never dream about taking me out of school, and frankly, I wouldn't want to to be behind.

Now younger (like pre-school, etc.), some people would feel a little different about. My child is going to miss 5 days of pre-school next Oct. for a Disney cruise. I have a co-worker who is on vacation now and all 5 of he kids are missing the first week of school, and she thinks that is nothing, as "they don't do anything anyways." CRAZY. But, that's it for me - I am sad to have to be a slave to school schedules, but I know it has to be done. In 2012, we are hoping for 7 night eastern on the Fantasy in the summer, because I don't want DD to miss school, even though it's Kindergarten. Sets a bad precedence that school is not important and you can miss it willy nilly.

Different strokes for different folks!

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #141
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

My kids were in 5th and 8th last year and a couple of their teachers gave them a really hard time about missing school. One told my kids to "go complain to your parents if you don't like the make up work." I still think travel is part of their education, but I'm not putting the kids in the middle of a battle between me and their teachers.

Have any of you checked airfare from the east coast? These cruises sound great, but the airfare can be a killer. I can't see our family of five flying to Asia for the cruise. I think I'd want to be on the ground if I spent a couple of weeks in Asia. (not on a boat) If we could do a trip like that every summer that's one thing, but can only do those big trips every 2-3 years.

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #142
mattmommy
Mouseketeer
My DS loves rice. I call him my "international child".

Maybe they can get a variance or fly under the American Flag for a while.

We sailed NCL in Hawaii (ship - beautiful, service - awful) under an American flag and I believe the other ships sail under the bahamas.
mattmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #143
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmommy View Post

We sailed NCL in Hawaii (ship - beautiful, service - awful) under an American flag and I believe the other ships sail under the bahamas.
The only way to do that would be to also give them a variance to ignore US labor laws....no one would be dumb enough to do that b/c the backlash from the American labor groups would be horrendous.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #144
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmommy View Post
Don't count on it!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #145
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicDisneyDuo View Post
The only way to do that would be to also give them a variance to ignore US labor laws....no one would be dumb enough to do that b/c the backlash from the American labor groups would be horrendous.
I understand how the laws exist to protect U.S. jobs and shipping, but it seems to me the only result has been to cause virtually every cruise ship to have a foreign flag. So I don't really see the point of the law. Can anyone explain it?
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #146
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfromca View Post
I understand how the laws exist to protect U.S. jobs and shipping, but it seems to me the only result has been to cause virtually every cruise ship to have a foreign flag. So I don't really see the point of the law. Can anyone explain it?
Protectionism.

Do a Google search on cabotage.

It's the same reason that Mexicana or Qantas can't offer airline service between U.S. cities. And why people in Hawaii pay a lot more for goods shipped on U.S. shipping lines from the U.S. mainland.

The cruise lines, including DCL, seem perfectly happy with the current setup. They can ignore U.S. labor laws. Crew members can work for months on end without a day off. U.S minimum wage does not apply. The cruise lines can hire outstanding people from all over the world. And every line faces the same PVSA restrictions (which really aren't a problem for Caribbean and Alaska/Canada cruises).

There's just one U.S.-registered large cruise ship. NCL operates the Pride of America in Hawaii. The ship was partially built in the United States and operates with a U.S. officers and crew under U.S. labor laws. It's a long story that would make an interesting book. The venture has not been a success. The Pride of America is likely to remain the only U.S.-registered cruise ship for a long time.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #147
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is not the PSVA that makes cruise ships fly foreign flags -- it is US Labor Laws. In order to keep costs down, most cruise ships choose to be registered elsewhere. That way they are not subject to US minimum wage laws, overtime rules, etc. (Also as NCL America found, it is difficult to keep a cruise ship staffed with US workers as we are not accustomed to working the hours that cruise ship staff work.)

And as a result of the decision to be registered in other countries, they are subject to certain US laws (like the PSVA), which is there to protect US companies from foreign competition. There are a lot of provisions as part of the PSVA but the one that is relevant to this conversation is simply that a non-US flagged ship may not transport passengers between two US ports without a distant foreign port call.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #148
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
It is not the PSVA that makes cruise ships fly foreign flags -- it is US Labor Laws. In order to keep costs down, most cruise ships choose to be registered elsewhere. That way they are not subject to US minimum wage laws, overtime rules, etc. (Also as NCL America found, it is difficult to keep a cruise ship staffed with US workers as we are not accustomed to working the hours that cruise ship staff work.)

And as a result of the decision to be registered in other countries, they are subject to certain US laws (like the PSVA), which is there to protect US companies from foreign competition. There are a lot of provisions as part of the PSVA but the one that is relevant to this conversation is simply that a non-US flagged ship may not transport passengers between two US ports without a distant foreign port call.
Right. My point is that the PSVA seems to have done absolutely nothing to protect the non-existant U.S. cruise industry, and only serves to inconvenience passengers by giving us fewer cruising options. So what's the point?
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #149
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Right. My point is that the PSVA seems to have done absolutely nothing to protect the non-existant U.S. cruise industry, and only serves to inconvenience passengers by giving us fewer cruising options. So what's the point?
But you are thinking only of the large ship cruise industry. This law also covers ferries and smaller cruises (some that cover intercoastal waterways and rivers -- i.e. Maine coastal cruises, Northwest River cruises). So there is an industry being protected by these laws.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #150
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The point is some government people are too stupid to realize that cruise lines don;t like having to abide by US labor laws and so they go elsewhere. When the stupid Gov.. people realized, "hey all of the cruise lines are going elsewhere. Why don;t we make a law that inconveniences Cruise passengers from all around the world and that makes Americas laws looks stupid!" then another person says, "thats a great idea!!!" and now US cruise ships have to abide by US labor laws and foreign ships have to abide by PSVA. Why they don;t realize that this does absolutely nothing to help them, I do not know!

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dcl hawaii, disney cruises to hawaii, hawaii disney cruise line

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: