Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
egritz
Never too old for Disney!

Von's Delivery to DLH - DLH Not Being Very Disney-like!

So We are getting ready to leave the house in less than 2 hours for the airport & I get a phone call from Charlie @Von's asking if we will be at the hotel today between 11-3pm to sign for the grocery delivery. I say no, but I called DLH & the CM told me they can accept the groceries & keep them in their refrigerator until we get there.

Well, Charlie tells me that over the past two weeks he has been having issues with DLH deliveries with them REFUSING to sign for the grocery delivery! And on top of that, he said DLH doesn't have refrigeration for their deliveries (he said in the past they have taken them to PP or GC until the guest arrives). He said just last week he spoke to a manager who refused to sign for the groceries. Now THAT doesn't sound very Disney like (and Charlie agrees). Right Now I'm debating whether to call DLH, or just let Charlie deal with it.

So Charlie is going to attempt delivery & will call me back this afternoon to let me know if he was successful or not. If he isn't we'll have to try again tomorrow so DH or I can be present to sign for the delivery, which will of course eat into my touring plans. I suppose the positive is we'll be able to tip Charlie, who so far is providing excellant service.

Not a great way to start my vacation, but hopefully it all works out.

Let's hope this is our only snafu in an other-wise awesome vacation....I will update later on to let you know how it goes.
May 2009 - WDW w/ DH, Wilderness Lodge
September 2009 - DL w/ DH Ramada Maingate (no pics, DH was sick!)
June 2010 - DL w/ family Disneyland Hotel
June 2012 - DL w/ family Fairfield Mariott (DD's 1st trip at 14 months!)
April 2013 - w/ in-laws (their first trip) & DD2, Residence Inn (South Clementine)
December 2013 - first Christmas trip!!! with my parents & DD 2 1/2. Anabella Hotel
November 2014 - Last minute trip w/ DH, DD3, DS-4 months, Peacock Suites

Last edited by egritz; 06-13-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: and we have no alcohol in this delivery, so that isn't the issue!
egritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by egritz View Post
So We are getting ready to leave the house in less than 2 hours for the airport & I get a phone call from Charlie @Von's asking if we will be at the hotel today between 11-3pm to sign for the grocery delivery. I say no, but I called DLH & the CM told me they can accept the groceries & keep them in their refrigerator until we get there.

Well, Charlie tells me that over the past two weeks he has been having issues with DLH deliveries with them REFUSING to sign for the grocery delivery! And on top of that, he said DLH doesn't have refrigeration for their deliveries (he said in the past they have taken them to PP or GC until the guest arrives). He said just last week he spoke to a manager who refused to sign for the groceries. Now THAT doesn't sound very Disney like (and Charlie agrees). Right Now I'm debating whether to call DLH, or just let Charlie deal with it.

So Charlie is going to attempt delivery & will call me back this afternoon to let me know if he was successful or not. If he isn't we'll have to try again tomorrow so DH or I can be present to sign for the delivery, which will of course eat into my touring plans. I suppose the positive is we'll be able to tip Charlie, who so far is providing excellant service.

Let's hope this is our only snafu in an other-wise awesome vacation....I will update later on to let you know how it goes.
Even though you don't have alcohol in your delivery today, the other people whose orders were not signed for may have had alcohol in theirs (that was the recent account of one DIS-er on this board). You never know. Was Charlie the actual guy out in the truck who is delivering to you, or was he the guy at the Safeway headquarters who will sometimes call on behalf of the driver when necessary? I have experienced both scenarios. Sometimes the delivery guys don't know what to say to the hotel people to convince them it's okay to leave the order there, but the Safeway Customer Svc. people sometimes do know what to say, and sometimes it's the other way around (I've been using Vons home delivery for the last 7 years) - in other words, the driver and the Safeway Managers back at the office and the people at the DLR hotel may not always be on the same page, and they don't all always have the same information at hand.

By the way, I'm not at all opposed to tipping people even when no tips are required, but the Vons drivers are not supposed to accept tips from anyone - it says that in the verbiage on the website. It's always been their policy. So if you do tip, you may have to just force it on the driver.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
egritz
Never too old for Disney!

Lol, if I get to see him so I can tip, I'll tell him it is our little secret! But Charlie is the actual driver... he kept on saying "I" in reference to conversations with CM's at DLH.
May 2009 - WDW w/ DH, Wilderness Lodge
September 2009 - DL w/ DH Ramada Maingate (no pics, DH was sick!)
June 2010 - DL w/ family Disneyland Hotel
June 2012 - DL w/ family Fairfield Mariott (DD's 1st trip at 14 months!)
April 2013 - w/ in-laws (their first trip) & DD2, Residence Inn (South Clementine)
December 2013 - first Christmas trip!!! with my parents & DD 2 1/2. Anabella Hotel
November 2014 - Last minute trip w/ DH, DD3, DS-4 months, Peacock Suites
egritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Lol, if I get to see him so I can tip, I'll tell him it is our little secret! But Charlie is the actual driver... he kept on saying "I" in reference to conversations with CM's at DLH.
Just slip the money in his pocket or something and don't even say anything about it!

I always feel bad for the drivers when they have really big deliveries. Some of the ones who deliver to me have told me about the times where someone ordered 50 cases of water and nothing else - and the poor drivers have to wheel their dolly and the heavy cases up stairs to get it to them. And yet, they are not supposed to accept tips!! How could you not tip in that case?

I'm guessing that some of the recent orders that were not signed for at the DLH had liquor in them (and the Vons drivers don't know what is supposed to be in the order without combing through the bill they give you - I often have to tell them that they left something out of my order) - OR what happened was that maybe prior to those occasions, the hotel got paranoid because some orders with liquor slipped through the cracks, and they started getting weird about signing for even the non-alcohol orders, and now everyone is punished for it. Somehow or other, booze is probably at the root of the problem!!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

Not to make light of your plight, because I do understand your dilemma and wishing to keep costs down, but why should people expect a hotel to keep their groceries for them? If you're there and can put them in the fridge yourself, great. But why should the hotel have to do it if you won't even be there? The hotel makes money off of its restaurants and likely would prefer people not do a lot of food prep in their rooms, which aren't equipped for it anyway.

Now, I do sometimes have food in my fridge at the hotel, so I get the idea of fixing simple breakfasts, making pbj's etc., but I've never had groceries delivered. The hotel has nothing to gain from it and probably ends up with more hassle (which ultimately means more cost to them).

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMe View Post
Not to make light of your plight, because I do understand your dilemma and wishing to keep costs down, but why should people expect a hotel to keep their groceries for them? If you're there and can put them in the fridge yourself, great. But why should the hotel have to do it if you won't even be there? The hotel makes money off of its restaurants and likely would prefer people not do a lot of food prep in their rooms, which aren't equipped for it anyway.

Now, I do sometimes have food in my fridge at the hotel, so I get the idea of fixing simple breakfasts, making pbj's etc., but I've never had groceries delivered. The hotel has nothing to gain from it and probably ends up with more hassle (which ultimately means more cost to them).
You actually remind me of something, DizMe - I have often been quite surprised that the DLR hotels have been willing to sign for and store groceries for guests. It's always amazed me that they do that because, as you say, it doesn't benefit them at all to do that and, actually, it inconveniences them to have to stash groceries. It's always been an 'above and beyond the call of duty' thing in my opinion - but I was very impressed with them that they were willing to do that for the guests. I've never had to use the Vons delivery service at a hotel yet, but based on my own experiences with Vons' home delivery, I am shocked that Vons is able to get their act together enough to be able to deliver to the hotel without the actual recipient of the groceries being there!! Maybe the Anaheim Vons are more 'together' than the ones up here where I live! I don't think the ones up where I am would know what to do if they had to deliver to a major resort hotel!

Old 06-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
...The hotel has nothing to gain from it and probably ends up with more hassle (which ultimately means more cost to them).
ITA, and see it even one step further: The hotel has something to LOSE by accepting groceries.

Ex: When you check-in, they give you your groceries. Something is missing. You call Vons. Vons says the hotel signed for it. Now the hotel is responsible for the missing food items which could be anywhere because they had to find refrigerator (and non-refrig) space to store a guest's delivery when they don't even know yet if the guest is truly going to arrive. At the time of delivery, they are accepting delivery for a non-hotel guest who for all they know may cancel their reservation and not show up at all.

If lots of hotel guests have cold groceries delivered prior to checking in, are the hotels supposed to buy additional refrigerators to store those groceries for select guests? If so, guess who ends up paying for those refrigerators? Yep! ALL hotel guests. I was very surprised the first time I read on DIS about people having groceries delivered to a hotel or motel. In all of my vacationing I had never heard of this practice, anywhere, until reading about it here.

I really think it''s a much bigger inconvenience to hotels than people realize.

egritz, I'm sorry this has started your vacation off on a rocky foot and my thoughts above are not specifically towards you. I just think maybe the DLH deserves a little slack on this one. I hope you have a great trip!

- Dreams

Last edited by Disney Dreams; 06-13-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

there's places close enough to DL to go buy food, that I'd rather do that than have to trust that everything's in the order, trust that it'll get stored/signed for right, etce etc...

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
CMHusband
Monorail Madness

If I was DLH I would politely tell you we can't accept food delivery. end of story.
Why is it NOT DISNEY LIKE to have a business policy that makes sense and enforce it. As much fun as it is...Disney is a business, and they have to be able to set themselves up to deliver first class service...food delivery acceptance doesn't sound like anything they should get involved in. Take a cab 1 mile down the street to the local market, or have it delivered when YOU are there.

Too much liability!
"wheres my $6 box of Frosted Flakes?!!! You owe me!!!"
Oh Gawd, let the letter writing to management begin.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
If I was DLH I would politely tell you we can't accept food delivery. end of story.
Why is it NOT DISNEY LIKE to have a business policy that makes sense and enforce it. As much fun as it is...Disney is a business, and they have to be able to set themselves up to deliver first class service...food delivery acceptance doesn't sound like anything they should get involved in. Take a cab 1 mile down the street to the local market, or have it delivered when YOU are there.

Too much liability!
"wheres my $6 box of Frosted Flakes?!!! You owe me!!!"
Oh Gawd, let the letter writing to management begin.
Exactly. Or could you imagine...

Vons delivers groceries which include milk. DLH stores it. DLH gives it to guest X upon check-in Guest X drinks the milk which somewhere along the line went sour. DLH is now liable and open to a law suit for making someone ill due to milk that may have been bad when they first received it. I truly am surprised they have ever accepted groceries. Way too many pockets for liability.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Well, at least at the Grand Californian Villas they'd better accept deliveries. One of the "perks" of being a DVC member and booking a 1 bedroom or up villa is a full kitchen. Not only do the resorts in Florida accept such deliveries, they have their own service (and I believe they do at VGC too).

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
Well, at least at the Grand Californian Villas they'd better accept deliveries. One of the "perks" of being a DVC member and booking a 1 bedroom or up villa is a full kitchen. Not only do the resorts in Florida accept such deliveries, they have their own service (and I believe they do at VGC too).
A condo/hotel with kitchenette is a totally different situation. They expect you to have food and give you the means to store and cook it.

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

Quote:

Why not just ask them to deliver when you are there to accept the delivery yourself?

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
but why should people expect a hotel to keep their groceries for them?
I have often wondered this myself.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
brenda1966
DIS Veteran

At WDW it's a whole different mindset. One of the reasons you pay more for a moderate or deluxe is because they have an empty refridgerator that you want to fill with your own favorite food! The resorts in WDW will glady hold your food for you, refridgerated, and then will deliver it to your room. What's in it for them? We'll, you've already paid top dollar for a hotel room, you likely tip the bell boy for bringing to you, you feel like you are at a high class place that treats you well.

This probably adds to the non-resort feel that some people compain about regarding DL. You can't immerse yourself because you have to worry about taking a taxi to the grocery store.

So, OP, I feel your pain. Have had great grocery deliver at WDW resorts. Sorry to hear the same level of service is not available at DL resorts.
WDW: offsite 95, Oct 12; Pop Century: Nov 04, Feb 06, Dec 06, Oct 09; AS Music Oct 10, 11; CBR Oct 07, Apr 14; POR Oct 08 ~ MNSSHP Oct 07, 08, 12
Universal/IoA: Royal Pacific Resort Oct 10, 11 ~ Kennedy Space Oct 10 ~ Sea World Oct 08, 12 ~ Discovery Cove Oct 12
Next: Tokyo!!! Fall 2014! Airfare booked, planning is underway...
brenda1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: