Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #211
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

for booking with such a great deal

for the trip to happen.
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

JPFamilyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #212
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

First, great news about Skip! I hope this is the right road to finding out what is wrong with him - and healing!

Second, GREAT deal on the room and booking!!! I sure hope it all pans out. And AKL is a fantastic choice for "resort" days. There are tons of activities, plus the animals, plus both the Jambo House pool - which is large with a waterslide, and Kidani's pool - which is smaller, but has the rockin' "splash zone" that Claire will LOVE. It's really very cool. Plus the Mara CS is pretty decent - one of the better Deluxe food courts. And then 3 choices of TS if you'd rather have that (I highly recommend Boma! )

And do I have pictures? OH YES I DO! I have a lot of Kidani, but some good ones of Jambo too.

I have to tend to Henry right now, but I'll keep your PTR open and come back as soon as I can later today and post what I have.

Oh - and if I remember correctly, for a Standard room, the "best" room location request is "Zebra Trail" and you might want to mention "close to the lobby" since the hallways are long. If that matters to you! There are a few "Standard" rooms that have peeks of the savanna even....I'm not sure where they are though. I'll try to figure that out for you too so you could even request that very room number!

K, I'll be back later!!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #213
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Thanks Brook. I just keep thinking about all the wonderful pictures I have seen you post. Actually AKL would normally not be a top choice for me to try. My dream is to stay at WL someday. BUT, Claire looking at that brochure over the past few weeks, and constantly asking if we can stay where the animals are broke me. LOL! It looks nice, my worry was it being so far out from most of the parks. And since we won't be doing parks for the 2 days there, it's not really a big deal I guess.
I've now made myself really excited about it. I need to do some reading up on it so I can find all the fun things to do. I think the majority of the time..weather permitting ..will be in the pool. I definately want to do some major picture taking too.
I always wake up earlier than the rest of the family, so I figure I can get some then. Also on our transfer day, I figured I would get up early and head over to Pop and check in and get our tickets and be back in time to get us all over to MK. I'll have to see what i need to do to have our luggage transferred too.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #214
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

We did a little Disney talking yesterday with Skip. WE have to take it in small doses with him. I mentioned (again, but it's been awhile) that Claire and I would like to go to Disney for her b-day. He said "I know, she was talking about it the other day". I then said, "of course we want you to get well first." And then mentioned..."but they do have scooters to rent there." Here is the "coumtry boy" answer...please don't be offended if you use a scooter, but sometimes he can't think outside of the box..
"If I ride a scooter I have to have my lard butt hanging off the sides and a basket in front full of onion rings and a large drink with a long straw to reach me." It was so funny the way he said it too. So I told him you didn't have to be fat to use a scooter, lots of people use them for other reasons, but he said he's never seen one and there was no way he would use one.
Now honestly, I can't even imagine where he has seen very many "scooter" people excpet on TV. He doesn't shop, so he would see them at a store. So the most he has seen are probably at WDW. And he would probably fit in with some of those maniac drivers there. LOL!
So now he has the pressure from both his girls about going.
He also mentioned later on in the day that his brothers wife is about to divorce him because they never do anything together anymore. So I kind of skirted around how it is important to make your wife happy at times. LOL!
And Ironically his good friend just left for a vacation last night with his wife, because she's been complaining of not getting away anymore together. Again I keep giving those little hints about how it is important to get away!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #215
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Congrats on booking that great deal! Now, all you gotta do is get Skip to agree to go. Sounds like you and Claire are well on your way to doing that.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #216
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Now for a recap of our 2008 Disney trip!

After getting home from the 2007 trip I was trying to figure out how to get back and soon! I got a pin in August for Dec dates, but Skip said no way. We had just been there and he wouldn't go twice in the same year. ( we have totally different vacationing ideas and styles)

In Jan of 2008 I started pricing Universal and staying off site in the area. I had mentioned to him that it would be nice to just get a really cheap hotel and do a couple of days down there. He really didn't say too much. He just said wait..because that is what he always says. He thinks you can plan a vacation in 1 week and have everything you want.
On Sunday night, February 17, at around 9 PM Skip came in and said, price a vacation to Disney for some time in April! OK, ...so I got right on that computer and did some figures. I told him that Easter was at the end of March, but alot of people Spring break in April. I did some March dates and April dates. We actually found it a bit cheaper with a code to go in April, but the flights were horrendous. March was regular price, but the flights were much better. He told me to call AAA in the morning for a quote.
So thats what I did, and we decided to go March 2-7th. We now had 13 days to plan a trip to the world! We got excellent airfare thru Spirit. I think it was $104 per person round trip, and another $75 total for our bags. Because the airfare was so cheap, Skip "allowed" us to fly out of Detroit instead of Toledo.
I was doing a major happy dance! BUT I had alot of planning to do in such a short time.
I quickly got on the phone and made ADR's and got everyone I wanted except 1.
On March 2nd my parents picked us up and took us to the airport. I had told my mom that one or the other should take us since there wouldn't be alot of room, but did she listen...NO! So we had a very cramped ride up to Detroit with 2 in the front and 3 in the back and all of us holding luggage on our laps since they had a small trunk and the stroller took up alot of the room. (O also suggested taking ou car, which is bigger, but she said no)

We said our goodbyes, checked in, and got a quick bite to eat and then went to the gate. With in 5 minutes we were boarding!

Our flight landed 30 mintues early and we had no problems findong the ME desk. We were on our way to POP!
We got checked in there fast, and got our request! Then made our way to the room, right accross from the baby pool.

We are the door under the yellow flower. 1st floor.

We settled in, changed our clothes and headed off to MK for EMH's!

Last edited by jenseib; 08-06-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #217
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Congrats on booking that great deal! Now, all you gotta do is get Skip to agree to go. Sounds like you and Claire are well on your way to doing that.
I know sometimes I make him sound harsh, or no fun. But he really is fun and very loving. But some things you have to kind of tip toe around him and give him the info in small doses and then let it sound like it's his decision. LOL!
I wish he was more like John in the vacation aspect. John seems to agree so easily, while Skip always has and always will be stubborn when it comes to me suggesting vacations. And of course sometimes he can be the worlds biggest baby. I swear he's more emotional than I am about things. So I have to be sure I am not sounding insensitive about his hip.

And like I said before, he really isn't into planning. I love to plan, but he likes to just say hey lets go now. I think, wait..I didn't research it!!!!

We had a trip to Grenefield village and Macanaw area planned when I was pregnant for Claire. They day we left, he came home from milking to take a shower before leaving, and said, lets go to Niagra Falls instead...and we did. But the funny thing is my son didn't realize that the plan had changed and when we got to the falls, he kept asking where the ferry was to take us to the island. LOL!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #218
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

We got to Mk and didn't do a whole lot at first. Met some characters, walked around shops, etc. It was starting to get chilly and I had left my sweatshirt at HOME!! I was so mad. My plan was to wear my 2007 sweatshirt for this trip. So I decided, what the heck, I'll buy a 2008 one. This has since become a tradition ...or a mad obsession for me. I want one from every year now!
We then settled down on the curb to wait for Spectro. While we waited we took turns walking Claire around. I bought her an autograph book. Skip took his turn and came back with a big balloon and giant lollipop! I guess he didn't want to be outdone?

After Spectro we fought our way through the crowds who were waiting for Wishes and went for some rides.

We ended up watching Wishes near the tea cups and it was great. Not a perfect spot, but we had no crowds. The whole area was to ourselves.

Next on to Pooh.

We love MK at night.

We rode as much as we could. The EMH's were till midnight and we stayed till close.We got a bite to eat, got a few photopasses, and then sadly made our way back to our room.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #219
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

The next morning I was up by 6. I went out and took some pictures and explored the area. At 10:30 Claire stirred a little, so we gave her an extra nudge to get up.
Since our room was right across from the pool, that is pretty much all Claire thought about. Her first waking thought was "swim". So thats what we did.

Then off to Epcot for the day!

We got some photopasses taken. Claire decided this trip she did not want pictures. She would not smile, and in alot of pictures she covered her face or turned away.
These pictures are now known as famous or classics. It seems like when ever I post them, people remember them from when they were in my signature. They are just so funny, and Claire now laughs at them too.

And this next one is our favorite. I got the free 5x7 of this one. It looks like she is REALLY mad at Tinkerbell. In fact, when I went to pick out one at the photopass kiosk in the parks, the guy working there started laughing, and showed it to all the other workers. He kept saying "look at this little girl".

We then toured the park. Spaceship Earth first.

Had a snack! Claire started with hers, then traded with Skip, ate most of his, then traded back to finish hers off.

We had dinner at Garden Grill and we were "family of the day", so we got to get a picture with all the characters at once, and sign the family book.

We hit nemo again, and did Turtle Talk for the first time. Skip is just amazed how this works.

We didn't get very far into World Showcase this trip. Just not enough time and Claire was getting tired. So back to the room we went.

Last edited by jenseib; 06-14-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #220
WrightFamily06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Yes, right now my plans would be to attend MVMCP on Dec 10th
YaY !! for MVMCP ! We had plans to go next year , actually DH requested that we did the Christmas party next shocked the heck out of me lol Then he decided that we would take his sister & her family on our 2011 trip & they don't want there girls to miss any school , so I don't know that Christmas will be possible considering cost & crowds

Glad to hear that you have Skip talking about a December trip , sorry he won't consider a scooter but I know my DH wouldn't either (Men) lol

ing the 2008 recap so far ! I can't believe Skip sprung the trip on you soo fast , talk about major planing in a short period of time . Your room location at Pop looked great , how nice to have the kiddie pool so close . The pictures of Claire are priceless , who would have thought when she didn't even want her picture taken , you would get such cute ones out of it !

Can't wait to hear more about the 2008 trip and update on your December trips progress
Old 08-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #221
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Ok, I took the plunge! I called WDW and asked if they had any Standard AKL rooms left that I could use my pin on (40% off). She quoted me a bunkbed room, which sounds fun, but I wanted it to be as cheap as possible, so ask her, "Do you have any standard left? I would like the deluxe feel for as cheap as possible." LOL! And they did! It was only $162 a night including taxes. That is around what we pay for Pop in March a night. So I have 2 nights for AKL in Dec. Now we need to get Skip in shape, and then agree totally to the trip.
WOW!!! That is awesome!!! Poor Skip isn't doesn't know who he is dealing with! (or maybe he does! LOLOLOL)

Great rate BTW!
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #222
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I haven't had a chance to read your updates yet - Henry decided to have a VERY short nap today! but here are some AKL pictures.

Jambo House:

An AWESOME gift shop!

Looking up at the bridge in the lobby

Elevator bank

Boma

They have since painted the pool BLUE, so it doesn't look like a watering hole....which I think STINKS!

Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #223
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Jiko

Check-in desk

Mara

Old 08-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #224
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I have more, that was just from November 2008...and we didn't even stay there!

But, I also have a 2 year old climbing all over me...I'll post more later.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #225
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Just read your updates - I hope Skip agrees to the trip and the scooter!! The scooters are great! He doesn't need to feel ridiculous in one! ...and many times the CMs bring you to the front of the line...just sayin'...that might be an incentive.

I remember those Claire pics! Completely ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: