Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #136
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Back to the 1997 trip

The next day was MGM. We weren't super impressed with it and only spent half a day and then went back to MK, I believe. We did have fun, but it just wasn't impressive like the other 2 parks.

(MY MK pictures are just random, not sure which ones are from which day)

The next day was the fateful Universal day I told you about and the last day we went to MK again. It was a rainy day, and after suffering a bit with the down pour we just decided to head out and make our way home a few hours earlier than planned. As we walked out we saw the parade going on, which made it difficult to get up front, so we stopped along a fence to watch it go by across the water. Now I can't explain where this was, but I have walked by it since then and the fence is now different. Here's why I noticed.... Paige stood up on the fence to boost herself up a couple of inches to see. On the other side of the fence it went straight down into the water that surrounds the castle. All of a sudden she was gone! Her legs went through the fence and luckily her crotch was saved by the fence post. She went straight down and if not for that post she would be swimming! Poor kid. Again, the nice family that she has was laughing. We had a heck of a time pulling her up. She couldn't get a grip with her shoes to help back herself up, and in case you didn't notice, Paige was quite chunky as a child, so she was heavy to pull up. We finally got her up, wiped mud off of her the best we could, and headed out. Didn't want to risk another clumsy accident again. LOL!
We also got lost on the way to find the turnpike. I think we followed the signs for the wrong way or something, but finally got on the road. I still wasn't totally up to par, even though I felt better. (Or thoguth I did) Another thank goodness my mom was with us moment. I slept the majority of the way home (about 20 hours) and did very little driving. Every time I did it was for a short time and I felt sick while doing it. I don't get sick like that very often, so it was really hard for me to accept I wasn't wonder woman that trip. LOL!
The plan was to stop on the way home and get a hotel, but mom just kept going, and I didn't complain, so we got home earlier than planned too.

And thats the 1997 trip in a nutshell!
jenseib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #137
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Later that year (1997) I started dating a guy pretty seriously. In early 1998 we moved in with him. (big mistake as I see it now, but you learn from your mistakes)
He had won a cruise for two through his work, so in April of 98 he and I went on a Norwegian cruise for 4 or 5 nights. (I can't remember now). It was fun and started my love for cruising.
Early in 1999 he said he would like to take us all to Disney world. We decided May, since the kids and I had liked it so much last trip. He had also won another trip though work...this time to Cancun, so we figured that would be in April, like the previous trip, and then we would have the trips spaced out a bit.
We were wrong! We booked the Disney trip (5 nights I believe) and then got the info on the Cancun trip. They were the same week! We ended up finding out that there were two trips going to Cancun and we were able to move that a few days, and then we moved back the Disney trip a few days, which gave us a couple of days at home before heading off to Disney.

This time we flew to Orlando. It was the kids first flight and they did well.
We took a late flight and arrived around 9 or 10 PM and then went in search of our hotel, which was on I-drive.
I don't remember the order of the parks for this trip. I know we hit MK first, and probably did the same order as last trip, on this trip we went to the newly opend AK as well.
Memories of the trip....Dumbo!!!!! Finally rode it!

Test Track!!! it was newly opened. In fact I think it was supposed to be done or close to done for the 1997 trip, as I had read all about it in Birnbaums book, but for some reason it was delayed. So we were excited to try it out this trip. The line was REALLY long, even after arriving first thing in the morning. But it was fun, and Paige loves thrill rides and kept screaming faster,faster...!
MGM ~ Tower of Terror. I can't remember if we rode it druing the 97 trip or not, (was it open then?) but this trip we rode it several times. Paige LOVED this ride....Michael hated it. He rode once, then I took him to Star Wars. Paige and the now ex, rode it about 5 more times in a row, then we traded and I rode it with her a couple more times. It was enough to make you sick!

Animal Kingdom was new, so I was very excited to see it. We did the Safari first thing and then headed over to Dinosaur. Dinosaur had an outside que. I don't even know if it had the pre show or not, thought I am thinking it did, but on tv's while you waited in line.
We also went to the dig site, which was all in the open. Not surounded by greenery or anything. And of course that was it over there. Dinoland had not been built yet.
We did the bird show, which was in a tent. That was really neat too.
The park was fun, but Paige found it boring. So much so that she complained non stop. Michael on the other hand loved it. He's not into thrill and loved animals. At some point, after alot of bickering, we decided to leave. We didn't see all, but did most of the main attractions.
I think we went back to Mk that day.
We also hit Universal that trip and I had a clean bill of health!!!
The last day we decided to go to Wet and Wild instead of using our last park day. We went to a time share thing and got free tickets. We didn't buy the time share, but did buy a week to try it out for the next year.
I'm not a water park fan, but it was a hot day it and was refreshing!
We flew back home late that night as well.
We still each had 1 day left on our passes and at that time ALL tickets were non expiring.

And that pretty much sums up the 1999 trip! Though I have a little more to add about it!

Last edited by jenseib; 03-10-2011 at 08:59 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #138
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

That trip was over Mothers day. I remember this because the ex threw a 3 year old temper tantrum ON Mothers day. I forget why he acted like such a baby, but I walked away from him and the kids and just went and sat in front of the castle for about 1/2 hour alone. They found me and seemed in better spirits after that.
I just tell you that, because after that trip things kind of went down hill. I was sick of his baby fits and no longer put up with them. He and I grew distant and before I knew it he had latched on to a friend that was going through a divorce.
He moved out for 2 months, while I looked for a place to live. I moved out the following Nov. into my parents house for a few months and I had bought a brand new mobile home to be set on a peice of country land. While we waited for al lthat to go through, I had to go somewhere, so mom and dads it was. I don't suggest moving back to your parents once you've been out on your own, unless it is absolutely neccesary!!! LOL!
When I left, I took 3 of the 4 passes from Disney. They each had 1 day on them! But I left him his. Now thinking back, I should've taken all 4. I'm sure he threw his away at some point in time. I still have these 3 passes and have actually thought that if we go to Disneyland some day I can convert them and use them there.
Also I was supposed to get the timeshare week. He eneded up marrying this girl in Dec. (1999) and she had 2 kids from her previous marriage.
In March of 2000 I called about setting up the timeshare week, and low and behold, he had used it with the new family!!!
I was so mad. I know he had to do some investigating to get the info, etc, because I had every bit of the paper work. So without the "free" week of hotel, we just couldn't afford to go that year.
We ended up going to Kings Island for a couple of days, and had alot of fun.

And just to show that things come back to kick you in the rear...his "wife" left him in Jan of 2001 to go back to her ex husband.
Of course he called crying to me, but I politely told him I wasn't interested....I had been dating Skip for about 2 months at that point and was perfectly happy with him.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #139
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

Hi, just joining in! I sure do hope all works out with Skip and you guys find out what's going on very soon and what he should and shouldn't be doing. That's terrible.
And.... I hope you guys get to get back to Disney World. Claire is such a cutie and I love all the pics you took of her in the park. The one with her in front of the tree was my favorite. Just something about it.

I also enjoyed your old pics of your oldest kids. So funny to see the way everyone dressed back then. In the pic with your kids and Peter Pan there is a man in the background with jean shorts, that were cut from jeans, they are very short.... So funny. That's what was in though

We are going back to Disney in May, so i'll wait along with you!

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
3princesses+aprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #140
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princesses+aprince View Post
Hi, just joining in! I sure do hope all works out with Skip and you guys find out what's going on very soon and what he should and shouldn't be doing. That's terrible.
And.... I hope you guys get to get back to Disney World. Claire is such a cutie and I love all the pics you took of her in the park. The one with her in front of the tree was my favorite. Just something about it.

I also enjoyed your old pics of your oldest kids. So funny to see the way everyone dressed back then. In the pic with your kids and Peter Pan there is a man in the background with jean shorts, that were cut from jeans, they are very short.... So funny. That's what was in though

We are going back to Disney in May, so i'll wait along with you!
Thanks for joining in! It's been a little fun for me to go down memory lane. I thought we all looked so good, and now I laugh! LOL!

Last edited by jenseib; 03-10-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #141
WrightFamily06
DIS Veteran

Hey Jen just joining had read along with your last trip not sure if you remember me or not but my daugther was just in love with Claire's Princess Belle dress !

Really enjoying this report so far and all the great stories you have shared , I wish I would have thought of including all my stories in my current pre-trip report Sorry to here about your DH's medical problems , I know how frustrated you must be I have gone through very similar problems with my DH husband on two different occasions !

I so remeber you going to the K-mart sale on your last report ! We also checked it out last year and found quite a few things but we again checked it out this year and scored big finding tons of stuff !

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for u all that things work themselves out and you are able to make that December trip !!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #142
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightFamily06 View Post
Hey Jen just joining had read along with your last trip not sure if you remember me or not but my daugther was just in love with Claire's Princess Belle dress !

Really enjoying this report so far and all the great stories you have shared , I wish I would have thought of including all my stories in my current pre-trip report Sorry to here about your DH's medical problems , I know how frustrated you must be I have gone through very similar problems with my DH husband on two different occasions !

I so remeber you going to the K-mart sale on your last report ! We also checked it out last year and found quite a few things but we again checked it out this year and scored big finding tons of stuff !

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for u all that things work themselves out and you are able to make that December trip !!
I sure do remember you. And I read your last TR too. So happy to see you are going again. I'll have to pop over to your PTR and start catching up.

Thye K-Mart sale was great. I think I am finished for Christmas for Claire and her b-day too. Unless she really has heart set on somethng, I don't need to buy anything else. Also got the nieces done as well.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #143
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

After the 1999 trip, Disney kind of went to the back of my mind.
In 2002 Skip and I got married, in Spring of 2003 we went on a cruise for our honeymoon. In 2004 we started trying for Claire and had her in Dec. We did do some vacations..we went to Gatlinburg, TN, Niagra Falls a couple of times, and I went Tractor Pulling with him to various states. So all was good. We weren't deprived. LOL!
After I had Claire, Skip and I had some serious marital problems. He's not good with change (He even almost called our wedding off a few days before), and I had just had a baby, stopped working, AND we were building, then moving into a new house. Thats ALOT for a guy who doesn't deal well with change. I also had depression after her birth. And I had gained ALOT of wait. Like 60-70 lbs and NONE if it wanted to come off.
So between to the 2 of us, we weren't pleasant people and it took awhile to get back on track.
One of the deals when we discussed about, before having a baby, was that he would NEVER go off tractor pulling without me and the baby. He totally agreed...why would he want to go anywhere with out us, etc.
In the summer of 2006, Skip had started tractor pulling again,... after taking a few years off. He just went to a few, but it was fun, and Claire appeared to love it, ...much to Skip's delight.
In Sept of 2006 he tells me, he and 2 of the "guys" are going to Ill. for a pull, but there won't be room for Claire and I, and basically we can't go.
Let's just say this didn't fly with me AT ALL! There were fights and he told me he never really thought I would inforce the no tractorpulling with the girls rule. Does he even know me? LOL!
So after some thinking, I told him he could go if I got to go on vacation to where I wanted to go...which was Colonial Williamsburg. ...Yes, that was doable!
So while he was gone, I started pricing everything, I even booked a hotel package. But when I got the confirmation the price was over $100 more than what I was quoted. So I called and was told t here were extra hotel fees that weren't included in the final price given to me. So I canceled and said I would think about it. I was really mad about that. When you get a final price of a package and PAY for it, shouldn't that be the FINAL price, with out add ons?
The trip was looking to cost quite a bit too. We would either have to drive and stop for a night each way, or fly, with really expensive rates, and still get a rental car to drive.
Thats when God shined down on me and I saw a Disney commercial. The price on the commercial was quoted less than what Williamsburg was gonna cost. So I started looking for Disney deals...and thats when I found the DISboards!!!
So after reading through some threads and learning a few things, we decided on Pop and the dining plan, and to go in March of 2007.

I didn't do a TR for that trip. I don't think I even knew much about them at that point. But I did a really quick (and not so great) dining review.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1404605

I'll post more about that trip later, ...with some more pictures of a very small Claire!

Last edited by jenseib; 03-10-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #144
WrightFamily06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I sure do remember you. And I read your last TR too. So happy to see you are going again. I'll have to pop over to your PTR and start catching up.

Thye K-Mart sale was great. I think I am finished for Christmas for Claire and her b-day too. Unless she really has heart set on somethng, I don't need to buy anything else. Also got the nieces done as well.
Thanks Would love to see you over on my pre-trip report , we don't have much longer , counting down the days it can't come soon enough , we booked the trip back in January lol

Glad to hear that you were able to get Claire & The Nieces done for Christmas ! We were able to get each of the kids started for Christmas , of course we were not able to find the boys as much as DD . Our whole family took advantage of the sale though My Mom & Grandmother were both able to get the kids somethings ( my kids are the only grand kids & great kids on both sides of my family). Then my sister in-law was able to get a good start on her 4 girls & also my kids (her only niece & nephews) . So we all really made out at the K-mart !

Great back story to the 2007 trip , after all who's marriage is ever prefect !
My DH is a Marine , so you can imagine we have lots of ups and downs !
Love the picture of a tiny Claire , can't wait to see more
Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #145
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Jen, I am loving all of these Disney memories you are sharing with us. I can't believe how much Claire has grown!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #146
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Since I seem to have all the time in the world til lwe are offically booked and get the OK from Skip, I might as well go into a bit more detail of past trips. LOL!

Yes we have ups and downs, but we keep going. Most days I love him to death, but there are a few days I wonder why I ever married him. LOL!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #147
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Claire said the cutest thing this morning.
She wanted to go out and ride her bike, and I walk behind her to get exercise. We just go from the house to the furthest barn and back..and forth, and back and forth...
Anyways I told her I had to get dressed first, and she kept bugging me about it. I was in my bra and underwear while I had my shorts in the dryer fluffing.
She fianlly says, "Mom you can't go out in your underwear and ZEBRA, so please get dressed!"
Old 07-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #148
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I just found your trip report a few days ago. I love your previous trip/dining reports! Claire is too cute and around my daughter's age so it's fun to see what you do on your trips. I hope everything works out and you get to go again soon.

Good work on the hip bursitis diagnosis. Wouldn't that be great if you could figure out what the problem is.
pinkxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #149
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I just found your trip report a few days ago. I love your previous trip/dining reports! Claire is too cute and around my daughter's age so it's fun to see what you do on your trips. I hope everything works out and you get to go again soon.

Good work on the hip bursitis diagnosis. Wouldn't that be great if you could figure out what the problem is.
Thanks so much for joining. I'll have another Dr. update later. Nothing too exciting though.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #150
coteau_chick
DIS Veteran

I am subbing I read all ten pages this morning. We will be there Dec. 11th-18th. I hope you get to go. Are you on the Dis Botiquers board? I post there sometimes. I laughed about your zebra. My three year old Grace said to me the other day, "Momma you have zebra panties. I gonna buy you some elefant panties." Gee thanks Grace............... I can't wait to hear more about your trip plans and I hope you get to go.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: