Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
DisneyAmyC
Mouseketeer

Question Ugh! It's too hard to decide!!

My husband, 8 year old son, and I are going to WDW in April for my 30th birthday. We stayed at POP last year and have decided to try a moderate resort this time. We are planning a 10 night stay with the meal plan. Last year we were so rushed in our 7 day stay we didn't get to enjoy the resort. This time we would like to plan a couple days of relaxing and enjoying the pools. However, I have spent days looking at pictures and reading reviews and still can't decide which resort to stay at ! I love the caribbean theme of CBR, but am worried about the size of the resort. I love the idea of POFQ and it's romanticism, but don't like the room decor. I like the rooms at Coronado, but am not sure if I like the theme of the resort as a whole. I am leaning towards POR, but would only want to stay in the Bayou rooms. Any comments, advice, pros and cons of each resort? Please help so I can finish planning my trip!! I should not be stressed out deciding which resort to stay in !!

DisneyAmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

my vote POR - my favorite of the moderates. that say really tempted by CSR - because of the queen beds. the other moderates have double (full) beds.

I like only the mansion side - the AB does not appeal to me. the AB does not have elevators the mansion side does.

did you love Pop?

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
DisneyAmyC
Mouseketeer

I did like POP. It was a nice place to stay for a nights sleep, a quick meal, and a quick swim, but it wasn't a place where we could spend the whole day relaxing and enjoying any extras like what the moderate resorts offer. It's very vibrant and cheerful, but we'd like more of an immersive theme this time. Thanks for the reply

Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
Kelrykengab
DIS Veteran

We loved CBR and we have a DS8 who loved it too! We spent quite a bit of time enjoying the resort b/c like you we did not when we were at POP for 7 days. The pool is relaxing but fun especially with the water slides and I highly recommend the Pirate Cruise there for kids only! My kids loved it. We stayed in Trinidad North so that took the worry about it being too big right out of it (preferred).
Kelrykengab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
DisneyAmyC
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the reply! CBR was actually the first resort I had picked, but the reviews were very mixed. After that I began leaning towards POR. I have heard about the pirate cruise and it sounds like something my son would love! Maybe I should just go with my first choice. . .I do LOVE the beach theme. . .Disney does not make these choices easy

Old 06-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Kelrykengab
DIS Veteran

No they don't. I loved the "away from it all" feeling at CBR. Oh and we even had an alligator hanging out for a couple days that was kind of exciting. I would stay there again, but we like to try new places. It was clean, everyone was friendly. The buses were pretty good. Good luck!
Kelrykengab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
KELLY
DIS Veteran

We are staying at POR. I was in the same situation. If I could of got a pefered room at CBR than we might of stayed there. The pool area looks really neat. But then again my girls are 2 and 4 and I don't think they would ever leave the pirate area. So since I'm being selfish and did want to hang in the kiddie area all day long. I picked POR plus the theming there appeals to me more.

Plus we love the boat to DTD!! Major plus for me.

Many Trips the past 6 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 8 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

I would book CBR in a prefered room. I've never been there but the pool looks really great.

I don't think I'd book POR if you only like the bayou rooms as those go to families of 5 first.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
megwilliams
Mouseketeer

I was (am) in the same boat. We decided to downgrade from YC in an effort to save some money (well, not save anything, but we are going for longer and flying instead of driving). I waffled on every mod (as they all have good/bad points, IMO), and what ultimately sold me was the queen beds at CSR. Plus, the rooms look more "deluxe-y" than the rooms at the other mods.

That said, I'm still not satisfied with my decision. I keep thinking about how PO-R is a boat ride from DTD and how the grounds are beautiful (we stayed in the Mansions in 2004). My ILs have stayed at CSR and they loved it. In pictures, it looks amazing, but I'm a bit put off by the size (I'm going to request Casitas, but I know there are no guarantees), the convention-feel to it, the distance from the parks (except for AK) and the fact that you have to pay 10% more to eat in the food court (this is bugging me like nobody's bidnez. It's stupid as we'll probably eat in the FC once or twice only. LOL). However, for me, it all boils down to the size of the beds. I hate having to share a double with either my husband or my kids.

What I've ultimately had to stop doing is looking at posts/pics of the other mods once I decided on CSR.
megwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
DisneyGirl310
Disney Princess

POR is my favorite I would definatly stay there.
DisneyGirl310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
Mousefan72
Earning My Ears

I've stayed in both, CBR being the most recent, and I would definately go with CBR. The pool at CBR is awesome! It has bike riding, boat rentals, and a beautiful beach area, and a nice bar and tables right next to the main pool. Definitely pay a little extra and go with the preferred location. CBR is a big place and it is worth the money to make sure you're closer to the main pool, restaurant, and gift shop.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
Stitch2244314
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at all four-- in order of preference, we'd rank them:
1. CBR, 2. POFQ, 3. POR, 4. CSR.
We really enjoyed all our stays at CBR, POFQ, and POR. CSR is the only one we would not return to. CBR is our favorite because of the tropical theme-- it just really can't be beat in my opinion. Plus we've had excellent bus service there, friendly CM's, fantastic pools, and so much else. Good luck deciding, and have a great trip!
May 1996: Off Site April 2002: ASMo May 2003 & 2004: Off Site June/July 2005: POFQ July 2006: POR August 2007: CBR July/August 2008: CSR & CBR May/June 2009: CBR July 2010: BWV August 2011: CBR July 2012: OKW & AKV-Jambo December 2012: POR-Royal Room July 2013: Yacht Club
Stitch2244314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
SuzieN
DIS Veteran

I POR!!!! I've stayed in both the Alligator Bayou section and the mansion section and both are great. I do prefer the room decor in the AB section but didn't have any problem with the mansion decor either. The grounds are so lush and beautiful - walking through the mansion section at night when it's all lit up is simply breathtaking!!! I've also stayed at POFQ and that was wonderful too but POR has my heart. LOVE the boat to DTD from both of the Port Orleans resorts - such a great perk!! Good luck with your decision!!
SuzieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
FunkyDuck
Fan of RAFA NADAL & DONALD!!

I understand your feeling of being pulled all over the place with making a decision on a mod resort...I felt exactly that way...and did much waffling...I finally did book CBR, but I booked Pirate Rooms...which are sooo far away from the main area...and now waffling on whether I should switch to a preferred room instead. I am happy with my choice of resort...in fact excited because CBR looks very fun and relaxing at the same time...I too wish it had the queen beds like CSR...but we can't have everything...lol. All in all...we're pretty excited about CBR's possibilities!!!

Have a wonderful vaca!!!

WL-2008, CBR/CSR-2010...November is our favorite time to be at Disney!!This year...OKW 1 BR Villa!
FunkyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
DisneyAmyC
Mouseketeer

I appreciate everyone who replied! I think I'm going to go with CBR and wait until next time for POR (when my son is a little older and can appreciate the historic theme more). I really have to stop looking at pics and reading reviews of the other resorts !! I just have to remind myself that it won't be my last time @ Disney!! I'm sure I will change my mind a few more times, but I should just stick with my first decision. I'm glad I can't afford the Deluxe right now, as that would just make my decision that much harder . I am definitly going to pay the extra for a preferred room. I wish the pirate rooms were also preferred rooms- oh well. Have a great time on your trips everyone, and thanks again for all the advice!

Tags
resort

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: