Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #151
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
I can also recommend pizza and hot dog places, and my favorite italian beef in Chicago
lol
I'm all for pizza recommendations if it is
*runs for cover in a deep down bunker*
NOT deep dish. I'm a super thin crust NY style gal

Did I dare say it....

ok...
moving along...

Re the camera....I think this is a wonderful post you have posted. It is just so true and concise.
For me I have a (former) workmate who is really into photography. He has spent thousands on all sorts of lenses and tripod and shoe for the tripod etc.
He goes out regularly to take photos. Now...he doesn't actually go on holidays much really...but the point is that he really really enjoys photography.

And the shots he produces...are impressive. Combined with Photoshop what he can do is great.
So...
I have been tempted to look into a DSLR.
But...
the cost and size have kept me away. I don't want to lug it around. As it is I carry too much.
So the last digital I got was a 10MP 5xoptical zoom which has been great. Not all the shots are great and it doesn't do well in dimly lit rooms.
BUT...some of the stuff it has done when I take the time to set up the shot is great. Even quick random shots - some are really impressive in terms of catching the spirit. It has done pretty decent firework shots!

I'm disappointed in some of the photos of ME with characters as noone in the family seems to do well with it (and this is a SIMPLE camera) but a DSLR will not help with this.
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #152
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
lol
I'm all for pizza recommendations if it is
*runs for cover in a deep down bunker*
NOT deep dish. I'm a super thin crust NY style gal

Did I dare say it....

ok...
moving along...
Oh, but you've never had Lou Malnati's deep dish There's a big difference between most deep dish and theirs. I never liked it before I had theirs, but, to me, the difference is that with Lou's, you can order buttercrust. They brush the crust with melted butter before they bake it and then it comes out so much tastier somehow.

Other recommendations are Portillo's for beef and hot dogs, Superdawg for hot dogs and shakes, and Susie's for just about everything except pizza

http://www.portillos.com/

http://www.superdawg.com/

http://www.loumalnatis.com/

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #153
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
I'm going to bed
Tomorrow there will be banana bread and muffins at 10 paces
Okay, I didn't quite make the 24 hour mark but.....

Banana bread and blueberry (muffin) combined!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:58 AM   #154
DisneyFirefly

You know, if I liked banana bread, I'd so totally ask for that recipe?

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #155
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
You know, if I liked banana bread, I'd so totally ask for that recipe?

It's called "Wild Holly Cakeshop". I was on the photography scavenger hunt and drove down the street where this cake shop is. I almost caused an accident in my haste to pull over into a parking space....because I saw the baker bringing out a Wedding Cake*, which is worth 2 points.

I went in and sweet-talked my way into him letting me take a picture of the Wedding Cake to post up on the forum. He was really nice about it, cute looking...and before you ask, he was an "in-betweener". Too young for me, too old for you . But still nice eye-candy.

Before I left, I took a look at their cake counter and saw the little beauty I posted. Naturally, I thought of Queenie and had to buy it to bring it back for our pistols at dawn .

I thought of you and LuvChefMic as well.....because these also came home with me....Lamingtons!

And you two owe me big time! It was such a hardship for me to get this shot...the things I do for you two. You know it'll be your fault when I gain weight at the next weigh-in!!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 08-05-2010, 06:11 AM   #156
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

It's called "Wild Holly Cakeshop". I was on the photography scavenger hunt and drove down the street where this cake shop is. I almost caused an accident in my haste to pull over into a parking space....because I saw the baker bringing out a Wedding Cake*, which is worth 2 points.

I went in and sweet-talked my way into him letting me take a picture of the Wedding Cake to post up on the forum. He was really nice about it, cute looking...and before you ask, he was an "in-betweener". Too young for me, too old for you . But still nice eye-candy.

Before I left, I took a look at their cake counter and saw the little beauty I posted. Naturally, I thought of Queenie and had to buy it to bring it back for our pistols at dawn .

I thought of you and LuvChefMic as well.....because these also came home with me....Lamingtons!

And you two owe me big time! It was such a hardship for me to get this shot...the things I do for you two. You know it'll be your fault when I gain weight at the next weigh-in!!

Did you post the picture of the wedding cake yet? I like looking at wedding cakes

You know, I think I may skip that at F&W With the coconut, I'd just scrape it off and then it'd just be sponge cake, so there'd be no point in getting it, you know? But I appreciate the picture!

Oh, and? I've SOMEHOW lost ten pounds I have no idea how.

Me DF
Old 08-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #157
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
Oh, but you've never had Lou Malnati's deep dish There's a big difference between most deep dish and theirs. I never liked it before I had theirs, but, to me, the difference is that with Lou's, you can order buttercrust. They brush the crust with melted butter before they bake it and then it comes out so much tastier somehow.

Other recommendations are Portillo's for beef and hot dogs, Superdawg for hot dogs and shakes, and Susie's for just about everything except pizza

http://www.portillos.com/

http://www.superdawg.com/

http://www.loumalnatis.com/
I might go to Lou Malnati's. They actually do do thin crust.
And the deep dish does look not so deep and pie like.

Thank you!!!
Not a hot dog person.

With burgers I LOVE Fat Burger....are there places like that?

PrincesinOz
Recipe please
I haven't been cooking....been playing the 'how do I run windows on a mac?' game.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #158
DisneyFirefly

Quote:

Thank you!!!
Not a hot dog person.

You've gotta at least try a slice I think what you may be thinking of is actually stuffed pizza. Are you thinking of something with a crust on top, too? That's stuffed, which I don't actually like.

And you're welcome!

I'm actually not sure what Fat Burger is...

Me DF
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #159
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:

How COULD you
Old 08-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #160
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
You've gotta at least try a slice I think what you may be thinking of is actually stuffed pizza. Are you thinking of something with a crust on top, too? That's stuffed, which I don't actually like.

And you're welcome!

I'm actually not sure what Fat Burger is...
I think I will try it for sure
Just need to get the family on board

http://www.fatburger.com/home/Default.aspx

And I just found one in Chicago
ILLINOIS
Beverly

View map / Driving Directions
2341 W. 95th St. (& Western)
Chicago, IL 60642
P: 773-239-9300
F: 773-239-9304
Operating Hours: Mon-Thu: 10am-10pm | Fri-Sat: 10am-12am | Sun: 10am-9pm

I ADORE their Turkey Burger.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #161
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
I think I will try it for sure
Just need to get the family on board

http://www.fatburger.com/home/Default.aspx

And I just found one in Chicago
ILLINOIS
Beverly

View map / Driving Directions
2341 W. 95th St. (& Western)
Chicago, IL 60642
P: 773-239-9300 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************773-239-9300******end_of_the_skype_highlighting
F: 773-239-9304
Operating Hours: Mon-Thu: 10am-10pm | Fri-Sat: 10am-12am | Sun: 10am-9pm

I ADORE their Turkey Burger.
Oh, heck, if you can't get anyone interested in going with you, as long as I'm free, I'd meet you there and we could share a small or something

And, uh, you may not wanna go to that place... 95th and Western is NOT a good area to be in. Was that the only one listed in Chicago?

Me DF
Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 AM   #162
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Did you post the picture of the wedding cake yet? I like looking at wedding cakes

You know, I think I may skip that at F&W With the coconut, I'd just scrape it off and then it'd just be sponge cake, so there'd be no point in getting it, you know? But I appreciate the picture!

Oh, and? I've SOMEHOW lost ten pounds I have no idea how.
Congratulations!!! Excellent news on the weight loss! Keep it up! We've got 11 weeks and you CAN lose more! I know you can!

Wedding cake will go up this weekend and I'll let you know when I post it. I'm working on a category stretch before I post...and hoping to get that shot tomorrow.

Quote:

Thank you!!!
Not a hot dog person.

PrincesinOz
Recipe please
I haven't been cooking....been playing the 'how do I run windows on a mac?' game.
I have a tried and tested banana cake recipe that is yum. You could always add blueberries inside it. I'll dig up the recipe this weekend.

I gave up trying to run windows on a mac! It comes down to which OS is on the Mac and even then, I struggled with remember that the apple key was the control key. So, we have a wonderful mac that I used on the odd occassion for photos.......and to help DS with his homework. Then I went out and purchased a PC laptop for myself; which now that I've learnt how to work photobucket, my photos are loaded here and I spend most of my time on the laptop.

We're going to get another mac soon....DH has decided that we need another one...it's just a matter of when.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #163
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
Congratulations!!! Excellent news on the weight loss! Keep it up! We've got 11 weeks and you CAN lose more! I know you can!

Wedding cake will go up this weekend and I'll let you know when I post it. I'm working on a category stretch before I post...and hoping to get that shot tomorrow.
I think it may be just because I haven't been drinking pop lately. I've been drinking more water than anything else (not a fan of plain milk, and I hate coffee and tea). I think I've had less than ten sodas in the last several weeks, and I used to drink a lot of it.

Awesome, just let me know I love pictures of cake

Me DF
Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #164
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
Oh, heck, if you can't get anyone interested in going with you, as long as I'm free, I'd meet you there and we could share a small or something

And, uh, you may not wanna go to that place... 95th and Western is NOT a good area to be in. Was that the only one listed in Chicago?
yes it is...I literally just looked it up so hadn't done any research.
Thank you for letting me know. They are in plenty of other places with them so I don't NEED to go there. Just is a nice place usually.

Was mainly looking for a nice place for burgers that doesn't have chilli and stuff.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #165
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
I have a tried and tested banana cake recipe that is yum. You could always add blueberries inside it. I'll dig up the recipe this weekend.
TIA

Quote:
I gave up trying to run windows on a mac! It comes down to which OS is on the Mac and even then, I struggled with remember that the apple key was the control key. So, we have a wonderful mac that I used on the odd occassion for photos.......and to help DS with his homework. Then I went out and purchased a PC laptop for myself; which now that I've learnt how to work photobucket, my photos are loaded here and I spend most of my time on the laptop.

We're going to get another mac soon....DH has decided that we need another one...it's just a matter of when.
Oh I ADORE my mac and have a new one on the way.
I loathe PCs....but....new job is on PCs and the software is only on PC.
So when my new mac arrives I want to have all the stuff organised to load.

I have it pretty sorted (in theory) but I'm peeved that Windows 7 is $299

I will do everything other than this program with OSX snowleopard and then BootCamp to the other as required.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: