Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

Wedding Invitation Scam?

Anyone heard of a scam regarding wedding invitations?

We just received an invitation for a wedding for a couple I've never heard of given by people I've never heard of and the wedding is in another country.

The return address for the response card is in the US. I googled the names listed on the invite and they seem to be legitimate names-- I just have no ideas who these people are.

The invitation is addressed to (Mr. and Mrs........).

I'm not going to respond to it...but it is odd.

Last edited by emma'smom; 06-11-2010 at 03:06 PM.
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
kirbsam
Everyone at the nude beach thought I was winking at them

i would go. sounds exotic.
kirbsam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
disykat
DIS Veteran

I've got to say it's a perfect scam since so many people think receiving an invitation means they obligated to send a gift and that the gift needs to be cash.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
TiggerTails57
FIL is still waiting for his My Little Pony cake

Go!
TiggerTails57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Maybe somebody family related got one too? Maybe it is legit? You googled and found them? Send them a note asking who the heck they are.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

See if they have a registry on The Knot or something. I wonder what on earth the gift-grabbers want?

But are you SURE you don't know them or if they are sons/daughters of friends?
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

That would definitely be a scam I have not heard of before. Although I could see how that could be a good one. LOL!

Another the wedding in another country could be a destination wedding.

They got your name & address correct? Even on the inside envelope (if they had one)? If they did all that I would think somehow they know you even if you have no clue who they are.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I once got an invitation from somone who I had no idea who they were. It turns out it was a cousin that I hadn't seen in 20 years and I just didn't recognize the name
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
mkarizona
DIS Veteran

We kept getting Christmas cards addressed to our family from people we never heard of. Finally I looked them up on facebook and realized the wife was a college friend of my married daughter.
mkarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
aunties
Mouseketeer

Did anyone else in your family get the same invitation? About 10 years ago, several of us got an invitation to a wedding in North Carolina (we're in MA). We didn't recognize the names of the bride or groom. Turns out it was my cousin's daughter. It was her second marriage so that is why we didn't reconize her name. We considered it was a scam because none of us had seen or heard from the bride or her mother in 20+ years! The most she got from any of us was a card.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

UPDATE--

It turned out to be one of my DH's co-workers-- someone just in his larger "group" of colleagues (as opposed to someone he works with daily) which is why I never heard the name. Apparently all the colleagues were invited.

Mystery solved----and no scam, which is always a good thing! =)
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

I'm glad it was solved. I had a feeling it was someone who "knew" you one way or another even if you didn't recognize the names.

For that matter, I had people AT my wedding who I had no idea who they were. My mom invited them from her work. I didn't mind but same concept...I'm sure they had no idea who I was either although I think she talked to them first since it was only a couple co-workers who she was close to.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

...I'm glad that it wasn't a scam, but there have been similar scams like this. The person[s] committing this fraud robs you blind since they know when you won't be home....ESPECIALLY if it's out of the country....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
Carly_Roach
Carly Roach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
...I'm glad that it wasn't a scam, but there have been similar scams like this. The person[s] committing this fraud robs you blind since they know when you won't be home....ESPECIALLY if it's out of the country....
This makes absolutely no sense. How many people would actually leave the country (expensive) to attend a wedding for someone they don't know, thereby leaving their house vacant for the person who sent the invitation? Especially since it's much more common for people to leave their house to go to work providing a daily opportunity for someone to break into the house?

I'd be more inclined to believe a scam about people responding to a strange invitation with a gift. But even in those cases, the old adage about a fool being parted from their money applies. If you have no clue about receiving a strange wedding invitation and you don't do the research to find out who you know is getting married, then you pretty much deserve what you get if you blindly send money.

I'm glad the OP found out who the invitation was from. I likely would have just thrown it away.
Carly_Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
lompoc
Earning My Ears

DISCUSSION TOPIC UPDATE!

Google lead me here on the topic of this discussion.

Yesterday I received a wedding invitation (complete with Google directions, and an unstamped reply) addressed only to myself and open guests. I don't know Ashley Victoria Aubermann or George Paz. The invitation begins, "Together with their Parents...". Interesting, in this day and age, who in their right mind but a spoofer would list the parents as unknown? The wedding is in Michigan and I live in Pennsylvania, so it's not not really very far.

I searched online and the couple's info is identical to the invitation. She is registered at Target, The Knot but not on Facebook! I found lots of personal information, but no real lead to who they are in any type of relationship to myself or husband. Not only do my husband and I not know these people, but the kicker is that my family disowned me, so that narrows relatives. I don't have friends outside my little circle and without my husband's name or the fact that I am married on the invitation, that puts his side of the family in the clear. I also checked with his relatives. He's retired so that friends list is short, too.

Now if it didn't involve a stamp, we'd be going to a wedding, although we really would never do that to anyone. This is obviously one of the modern scams to get a gift. Now if they had supplied a stamp...
lompoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: