Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
PrincessSamtastic
Mouseketeer

Sam & Randy's Disneyland Escape April Wedding.

So I'm excited to start my own planning journal!I love reading everyone elses and often drive my fiance' crazy explaining everyone else's plans, and weddings! I only hope mine can be as exciting as everyone else's. So Here goes...

About Us

DF-Randy
Randy is my amazing twenty-eight year old fiance.' He's from all around northern Arizona, Flagstaff and Payson. He's currently going to school to get an associates in Applied Science, to be Radiology Technician. He also plays in a metal band in his spare time, and the most amazing thing about him, is he likes Disney. His first trip was when he was five, again when he was twelve and I'm proud to say, his last trip was with me when he was twenty-six.

Me(Sam)
I am twenty-years old, I've lived in Tucson since I was nine. I'm currently in school an associates in Liberal Arts and eventually a transfer to the NAU for a PhD in psychology, but that's forever and a day away. I'm also going to Pima Medical Institute in the couple months to get a certificate in Veterinary Assisting, and of course I am Disney crazy! My first trip was when I was six years old for my birthday, then thirteen, My mom let me take a friend for my Sweet Sixteen and then DF and I took our first vacation together for my 20th birthday!.

How We Met
I met Randy through a friend of mine. I was hanging around my local tattoo shop, while one of my friends was getting some work done, She happened to hit it off with the tattoo artist (that I was also was friends with) and he invited her and I to go to his band practice. Which Randy was the bass player for. Ironically I later found out that we had "officially" met at a New Years eve party a few months before and he had talked to me and I blew him off unintentionally. I at the time wasn't interested in a relationship, but my wonderful Fiance' was persistent, and Well I'm glad he was.

The Proposal
My DF and I had been talking about marriage since well, we started dating one of his first questions in getting to know me was "Where do you want to get hitched." which I confidently replied "Disneyland." My DF is divorced though and the age difference he didn't push it much. Basically we spent the last year talking about how When we got married, though I was starting to think he'd never ask. On our two year anniversary, he took me up to the one of the mountain overlooks, with a plate of homemade sushi(My favorite) and a bottle of sparkling cider since I couldn't drink yet. We ate out sushi looking out over the city lights, but wonderfully a bunch of stupid teenagers showed up and made a bunch of racket, So we went farther up. We were in a parking lot surround by desert and the moon. I,being a music lover was messing with the radio and found "Dancing in the Moonlight." Which then my DF proceed to dance with me in this empty parking lot, to dancing in the moonlight. After that he got down on his knee and asked me to Marry him. Needless to say I said Yes!

Last edited by PrincessSamtastic; 08-01-2012 at 06:38 AM.
PrincessSamtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
KristiLyn
Fab Five Member!

Welcome and congrats!! What a sweet proposal!
P.S. I have the same shirt as the one your df is wearing, the mastodon one...haha!
Can't wait to hear more of your plans!!!
KristiLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
PrincessSamtastic
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much! That's awesome that you have the same shirt as him, It was his christmas present like two years ago, everytime we're out somebody ends up walking by like Mastadon! YEAAAH!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
PrincessSamtastic
Mouseketeer

To Escape or Not to Escape?

Since the time I found out you could get married at Disney, which was 2007, I knew exactly what I wanted down to almost the last detail, and now that it's here, I have no idea.

First of all DF and I had been talking for months now about all this wedding stuff. We originally planned to have a wedding in April of 2013 with the wishes collection. I wanted the coach, the mice, everything. I called DFTW a week after we were engaged and got some more information. Holding on to false hope for about another week, after running over what prices I could in my head, plus honeymoon, theres no way we could afford this, not even in two years.

My DF has been pestering through this whole situation about the memories collection in Flordia, and the Escape package. I finally looked over the escape package again, we talked about it and He seems more thrilled with that then the wishes. So after careful consideration about money, I think we have decided a Disneyland escape wedding, for the year 2012, versus 2013.
Though I am still mourning that I can't have the Coach, and I have to kiss the Rose court Garden goodbye, I still get my gazebo, and I still get to marry my fantastic fiance at Disneyland.

On another issue, I have for years declared I will have an Alice In Wonderland Wedding. I love Alice, I had posters in my room at home, I had t-shirts, a bedspread and I even have an Alice in Wonderland tattoo that takes up half my back,but now that it comes down to it, I'm not sure I want to go among mad people. (<--- You see the lame referance there.. )

So Now I have to start a square one, What kind of theming do I want to do?
  • Peter Pan
  • Basic color scheme with Disney Accents
  • Princess Theme (Beauty and The beast, Cinderella)
  • The Queen of Hearts/Mad Tea Party

If Anyone wants to help out with this, and put out an opinion be my guest, beause my head is currently spinning.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
elleinad16
One of 11 couples to tie the knot at Disney World on 11-11-11!

Hi and congrats!!! I really love your story so far and I can't wait to hear more. And just to throw in my 2 cents on a theme...I think Peter Pan would be SO cool...just because it's not one you typically hear of!
November 2003 - WDW: Yacht Club CL • December 2004 - DLR: Offsite • December 2005 - DLR: Offsite • August 2006 - DCL: Disney Wonder-Bahamas • May 2009 - WDW: Coronado Springs • September 2009 - DLR: Inaugural D23 Expo • May 2010 - WDW: Port Orleans French Quarter • August 2010 - WDW: POP Century • November 2010 - D23: Fantasia Boston Event • March 2011 - WDW: Day Trip • May 2011 - WDW: Wilderness Lodge CL • November 2011 - WDW: Grand Floridian for our Disney Fairy Tale Wedding • May 2012 - D23: Boston FANniversary Event & WDW: Caribbean Beach • September 2012 - DVC: Vero Beach • October 2012 - D23: Wreck-It Ralph Boston Event • February 2013 - WDW : Art of Animation • May 2014 - DVC: Hilton Head Island!
elleinad16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Mindyjoy
DIS Veteran

YAY, another Disneyland Bride! We were originally going to go with the Escape package until our families stepped in and allowed us to bump up to Wishes (you can read the whole saga in my PJ). I'm excited to see how your Escape wedding progresses.
Mindyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
PrincessSamtastic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleinad16 View Post
Hi and congrats!!! I really love your story so far and I can't wait to hear more. And just to throw in my 2 cents on a theme...I think Peter Pan would be SO cool...just because it's not one you typically hear of!
Thanks! I apperciate the two cents, I also think Peter Pan would be cool especially because it seems so unqiue, though I think I know why, I'm at a Loss to figure out how to do the theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindyjoy View Post
YAY, another Disneyland Bride! We were originally going to go with the Escape package until our families stepped in and allowed us to bump up to Wishes (you can read the whole saga in my PJ). I'm excited to see how your Escape wedding progresses.
Right? I'm so glad to be able to read another DL brides pj. I'm mourning my loss of the Rose Court Garden, which looks beautiful in your PJ and I'm jealous of your venue! and Also the coach, but Oh well!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 AM   #8
PrincessSamtastic
Mouseketeer

Drama,Confusion,Excitement

DramaFirst for the venting. My family is already complaining about how I'm doing things. I called my grand mother (who lives in Indiana) to inform her that we had moved the date up a year (Haven't done STDs yet). In the hour conversation She managed to insult me and disappoint me. She first informed me that april would not be a good month for her, considering she'd have to pay a bunch of things, and that the rest of the family wouldn't have money either. I Said "Well everyone will be getting their tax return" only to have her respond "And you think they'll spend it on going to your wedding?" Which I have to say hurt, because I'm trying to be as nice and considerate as I can. She then informed me that I should get married in a church instead of wasting my money on a Disneyland Wedding, and that I shouldn't expect most of my family to come, since I am having the Wedding on a Monday because I have to. I informed her that "If they could make it great, if not then I understood, and I already expected for most of them not to make it." and tried to leave it at that. She then called my mother to tell my mom that She needed to talk to me about my attitutde toward the family, and That if people didn't come it wasn't because they didn't care. She then told my mother April was just a bad month because Heather (my cousin, and only one of many) was having her new baby and that she had told Heather that the wedding was in Cali, and she had quickly responded "Guess I'm not going." The funny part about all of this, is My other cousin is getting married in July of this year in Indiana and my mother has been informed that She MUST be there (At her expense of course). My family is very one way and it's just annoying that they've already started to whine, and for the record, my cousin Heather was never on the guest list. =D

On the other hand I'm having MOH delima, I have my bestfriend of fifteen years that lives in Kansas that i'd love to make my MOH, but of course She won't be around to help with a lot and I'm afraid that if something comes up considering she's a twenty year old college student as well that She won't make it as my MOH. I then have my best friend here in Tucson that I've known since I was fourteen though lately even though She claims to want to be my MOH, she hasn't been helping at ALL. I try to ask advice and She ignores me, I invited her to go dress shopping on a day convient for her and She told me "Umm Maybe." I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, maybe I just shouldn't have a MOH?

Confusion
I'm still confused on what theme to go with on the reception. I went to the craft store and found a bunch of stuff for a Mad Tea Party, but I still have my concerns..
  1. Too Birthday Party
  2. Too Common
  3. Too Cartoony
  4. Not at all classy
Now I'm not saying it IS these things for those who love/using this theme. I've been in love with this theme for years, but now that it's upon me I'm starting to worry can I pull it off and it still be "classy"

I really like the idea of a Peter Pan theme but I worry that I won't be able to come up with enough themeing ideas, and if I do that I have to change my ceremony colors as well since they accompy the Alice In Wonderland theme.

For Peter I have an Idea of Tinker Bell Sillouhettes in Laterns with tea lights being surround by Tiger Lillies, but that is about it. So..
Then again maybe I should Do a Cinderella or Beauty and The beast theme, though I'm not sure it would go along with the Adventure Lawn and where ever they stick my reception....(I don't know how that works yet..)

So anyone's Two, Four our Six cents are welcome

Excitement
The exciting part of my week is that two of my other friends are coming down from Flagstaff this weekend to celebrate memorial weekend with us, and Hopefully DF's Twenty-Seventh birthday! (I ordered him Dead Pool T-shirts off the Disney Store. Shhhh..) I Also ordered my Bride Shirt as well as the Mickey Glove necklace which should be here Tuesday. I love boxes of Goodies! and Hopefully we get to go see On Stranger Tides this weekend (I hope I hope I hope!) Oh! and the most exciting part I have an appointment with Alfred Angelo this weekend and hopefully Davids Bridal as well! This is my first time trying on dresses I'm SO excited!

Either way Sorry that was so long, I wanted a good update, Now.. Back to Watching Peter Pan!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
KristiLyn
Fab Five Member!

Awww I'm sorry about all of the family drama. My family started all of that as well. I just want to yell "this wedding isn't about you!". But you know, then that would be disrespectful I reacted as you did, just saying that I understood if people wouldn't come, but this is something WE want to do for OUR wedding....
I think if the alice in wonderland theme is what you've wanted, you should go for it! That theme is great because you can be so colorful with everything.
But I do really like your tinker bell silhouettes idea as well!!
Good luck with your decision!!!!
KristiLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
DoomBuggy0922
DIS Veteran

Ugh, I'm also sorry about family-wedding drama! Just kick them. Yup. It's the mature thing to do. :P

As for the tea party theme, have you checked out sambycat's planning journal? She had a tea party, and it was ABSOLUTELY gorgeous, and definitely classy. I do, however, also love the idea of silhouettes. Actually, the disneybabyblog tweeted something amazing...

Yes, it's for a nursery, but still AMAZING!!! HTH!

'96[POFQ] '97 [POR]; '99[POFQ] '02[OKW] '03[gparents condo] '04[gparents condo & DCL] '05[condo] '06[PC] '07[SSR] 3/08[condo] 9/08[PC] 6/09[POFQ]; 12/09[PC] '10[AKL&PC] 3/11[SSR] 8/11[PC] 01/12:BCV, GF, and BLT (Weddingmoon!!!); 05/12:AKL-KV; 12/12: SSR; 2/13: OKW; 4/13: BWV & OKW; 07/13: VWL & BCV; 09/13: BWV & YC; 11/13: PC and BWI

Next Trip: Christmas at SSR and BCV!

DFTW PJ and Honeymoon TR Memorial Day Weekend TR
DoomBuggy0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
Mindyjoy
DIS Veteran

Girl I feel ya on the family drama. We still haven't told uber-Catholic grandma that we are getting married at Disney instead of a church. She lives on the other side of the country so she's not aware I haven't set foot inside a church in 15+ years and I would probably be struck by lightening if I tried to!

As far as MOH, I am not having any attendents because my best friend is super flaky and there's really no one else I could think to pick since I don't have any sisters. So I'm just not dealing with any attendents at all and it's great!

Tea parties can look super classy and I bet your consultant would have a few ideas for you, too. Centerpieces can be as easy as going to Goodwill and picking up mismatched tea sets, arranged with some flower petals and other odds and ends (like clocks for the White Rabbit or decks of playing cards).

This is a tea party set up at the Wedding Pavilion a couple months back. This is obviously pricy but may give you some inspiration.

For Peter Pan, I like the idea of lanterns with candles and using glitter as pixie dust. You can also serve champagne but name it something else, like "Neverland Nectar" (kind of cheesy name but you get the idea). You could also make each table a different character, like a Captain Hook table, Darling family table, etc. If you have Peter Pan themed invites and menus, the theme will come across just fine!

The bottom line is: It's your wedding, it's your memories, it's your day, so don't listen to the haters.
Mindyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
PrincessSamtastic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiLyn View Post
Awww I'm sorry about all of the family drama. My family started all of that as well. I just want to yell "this wedding isn't about you!". But you know, then that would be disrespectful I reacted as you did, just saying that I understood if people wouldn't come, but this is something WE want to do for OUR wedding....
I think if the alice in wonderland theme is what you've wanted, you should go for it! That theme is great because you can be so colorful with everything.
But I do really like your tinker bell silhouettes idea as well!!
Good luck with your decision!!!!
I think theres something about weddings that a bring out the best and the worst of people. Someone says they're getting married and it's like family just automatically becomes selfish and opinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBuggy0922 View Post
Ugh, I'm also sorry about family-wedding drama! Just kick them. Yup. It's the mature thing to do. :P

As for the tea party theme, have you checked out sambycat's planning journal? She had a tea party, and it was ABSOLUTELY gorgeous, and definitely classy. I do, however, also love the idea of silhouettes. Actually, the disneybabyblog tweeted something amazing...
I agree! I should, kick them right in their shins. I love the peter pan! I know how my future childs room will be decorated! Or maybe I'll put it in mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindyjoy View Post
Girl I feel ya on the family drama. We still haven't told uber-Catholic grandma that we are getting married at Disney instead of a church. She lives on the other side of the country so she's not aware I haven't set foot inside a church in 15+ years and I would probably be struck by lightening if I tried to!

As far as MOH, I am not having any attendents because my best friend is super flaky and there's really no one else I could think to pick since I don't have any sisters. So I'm just not dealing with any attendents at all and it's great!

Tea parties can look super classy and I bet your consultant would have a few ideas for you, too. Centerpieces can be as easy as going to Goodwill and picking up mismatched tea sets, arranged with some flower petals and other odds and ends (like clocks for the White Rabbit or decks of playing cards).

This is a tea party set up at the Wedding Pavilion a couple months back. This is obviously pricy but may give you some inspiration.

For Peter Pan, I like the idea of lanterns with candles and using glitter as pixie dust. You can also serve champagne but name it something else, like "Neverland Nectar" (kind of cheesy name but you get the idea). You could also make each table a different character, like a Captain Hook table, Darling family table, etc. If you have Peter Pan themed invites and menus, the theme will come across just fine!

The bottom line is: It's your wedding, it's your memories, it's your day, so don't listen to the haters.
Thank You for the ideas. I'm also starting to think I might drop the Wedding parties or maybe limit it to one, it's such a pain, and I also don't have any sisters to just make it easy and be like "Oh She's Family! Sorry!" Sometimes with all this drama I'm like Lets just elope!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #13
PrincessSamtastic
Mouseketeer

Busy,Busy,Busy

Well my friends from Flagstaff didn't make it down over the weekend which was a bit of a bummer but I did go to my appointment at Alfred Angelo. I tried on a good number of dresses but did not find anything I really loved, I tried on the Belle dress and with luck it looked horrible on me, (It was out of my moms budget and though I know if I loved it that much, I'd get it that would be less money for the wedding). I found the whole thing to be really awkward, I'm a bit of a tomboy so looking for a ball gown was a little bit on the opposite side of the spectrum for me. I also had an appointment with Davids Bridal yesterday I found a lot more dresses I liked but not "the one." I also liked the enviroment a lot more, I didn't feel so awkward, and didn't feel like the lady was waiting for me to scream Oh Em Gee I love it, She was really easy going. Overall I think I've decided I won't try on any more dresses until October, it'll be my six month mark and leave me room to lose 10-20 pounds(I Hope). I feel to wide in the dresses, and all I see is my gianormis hips and as i like to call them Man shoulders. I'll post pictures as soon as I can get them off my moms Iphone.

On another note, I ordered the bridal crown shirt, and I really like it. I was so worried it wasn't going to fit since everyone says you should get two sizes up, and I'm any where from a X-Large to a two X depending on the shirt and if it's in girls or womens. I got the XX-Large and it fit perfectly, but it's very very see through (though I was prepared for that). So thats my little review on that! =D

DF and I have finally made the amazing decision on what theme we wnted. We originally were going to have a "Queen of Hearts" ceremony and then switch into the crazy colors for the reception. I saw some pictures that inspired me to keep the queen of hearts theme throughout the whole wedding. I like it, because I get to keep my theme, but also get a classic Princessy romantic look as well. I'm hoping the Adventure lawn won't look to out of place with this idea since I can no longer use the rose court garden.

Heres the pictures

Hopefully in the next couple months DF and I can get our engagement pictures done, and I can start my weight loss plan, unfortunitly my bag of oreos look REALLY good.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #14
that-a-way
or This-A-Way

Hello PrincessSam from a fellow Arizonian!

Don't let the family drama get you down - I dealt with a ton myself. In the end my DF and I decided that it was OUR day and in the end we had to do what makes US happy. All of our family is invited and if they want to come they are more than welcome. If they can't make it because it's a destination wedding (doing ours in Orlando) we understand.

In the end it's your day. Do what makes you happy and in the end it will all work out.

I'm doing a mixed theme - a very classy "princess" wedding ceremony, and the reception is where we have fun and get to show off our personality. I've dreamed about the mad tea party before it was "the thing to do" and i'm sticking to my guns and having what I want, regardless of popularity.

I truly think the peter pan idea is AWESOME! I'm sure some lucky future Disney Bride will steal it! It's totally brill! Now that you are going with the mad tea party, just remember that many brides here are a great source of inspiration and if you look at the photos all are gorgeous. I've not seen one that I personally would not say was classy. I am sure yours (and mine) will be more of them!

I'm looking forward to reading your journal, and I wish you and your DF the best of luck. If you ever need a shoulder to help with all of the family drama, you are in a safe spot with all of us.

<3
  • Disney Bride - 10/30/11
    Wedding Pavilion | Atlantic Dance Hall Reception | Epcot Dessert Party

"You'll find it's June in December if you'll just remember that true love will come smiling through."
.: Our Happily Ever After began 10/30/11 :.
that-a-way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 AM   #15
PrincessSamtastic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by that-a-way View Post
Hello PrincessSam from a fellow Arizonian!

Don't let the family drama get you down - I dealt with a ton myself. In the end my DF and I decided that it was OUR day and in the end we had to do what makes US happy. All of our family is invited and if they want to come they are more than welcome. If they can't make it because it's a destination wedding (doing ours in Orlando) we understand.

In the end it's your day. Do what makes you happy and in the end it will all work out.

I'm doing a mixed theme - a very classy "princess" wedding ceremony, and the reception is where we have fun and get to show off our personality. I've dreamed about the mad tea party before it was "the thing to do" and i'm sticking to my guns and having what I want, regardless of popularity.

I truly think the peter pan idea is AWESOME! I'm sure some lucky future Disney Bride will steal it! It's totally brill! Now that you are going with the mad tea party, just remember that many brides here are a great source of inspiration and if you look at the photos all are gorgeous. I've not seen one that I personally would not say was classy. I am sure yours (and mine) will be more of them!

I'm looking forward to reading your journal, and I wish you and your DF the best of luck. If you ever need a shoulder to help with all of the family drama, you are in a safe spot with all of us.

<3
Awh! Thank you so much for the support. I will never understand why so much drama revolves around such a happy time. How are the bridal shops up in Pheonix?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: