Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
hugApug
The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful-e.e. cummings

"Now we know how Tom Hanks felt in Cast Away" A Pop Century Resort and WDW June TR!

Hi all! This will be my first trip report, ever! I hadn't initially planned on doing one since I'm so new to the board, but we had such an amazing trip and I'm suffering from WDW withdrawals, so I'm hoping that a TR will be good medication!

My title quote is from my DBF. We were in the wave pool one morning at Typhoon Lagoon, and he was pretty excited that the waves were realistic. Ok, more than excited...I had trouble getting him out of the wave pool! His happiness and awe at everything in the world really made my trip that much better.

Some introductions....

That's me on the left, Monkey(the pug) in the middle, and DBF on the right. That picture was taken at Soda Springs, CA on the iced-over Serene Lake during January 2009. We've been together for just over 3 years, and have been friends for over five. Monkey is our furry child, and we missed her a lot this trip....but as you'll see later on, she didn't miss us!

This was our first trip together to WDW(my 3rd trip), and my DBF's first time to the other side of the country! The furthest he has ever traveled from the Bay Area was to Las Vegas. Needless to say, this was a *huge* trip for him to make.

Some details...

Dates of trip: June 1, 2010-June 8,2010

Hotel: Originally Baymont Inn(oh the horror for 1 night) and switched to Pop Century(6 night stay)!

Itinerary: Pretty loose- I didn't want to put too much stress on DBF, so we went at our own pace, and it really turned out great!

Up Next: Day One: A horrible hotel, an unexpected DTD concert, and interesting encounters with Floridians.

Here's a picture...anyone know where this would have been taken?

Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran

Oh I am never first for anything. Great start to your TR! I am going to guess that you are on the speedway at the MK!

p.s. was the Baymont Inn really that bad?

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
walkdmc

DIS Veteran

Hi!

Can't wait to read all the details, as we're visiting soon!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

My guess is the Speedway too at the MK.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
hugApug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Oh I am never first for anything. Great start to your TR! I am going to guess that you are on the speedway at the MK!

p.s. was the Baymont Inn really that bad?
Thanks for joining in! Yes-it was really that bad. I definitely did not expect luxury by any means, but it was "under construction" and really really really dirty. I'll post pictures with my next update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkdmc View Post
Hi!

Can't wait to read all the details, as we're visiting soon!
Hope you'll have fun on your trip! Are you staying at Pop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
My guess is the Speedway too at the MK.
Close! But, it's actually Autopia at Disneyland! I like the DL version better than Speedway IMO.

I'll try to update tomorrow. My mom is in town and we've been doing a lot of shopping

Old 06-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

I'm in.

We loved the Typhoon Lagoon wave pool!

Trip Report - Dining with Disers 2014
Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Dsnygrl1205
DIS Veteran

Joining in and excited to read more! We love Pop!
1983 Fort Wilderness Cabins, 2002 ASMo, 2003 ASMu, 2006 ASMo, 2007 ASSp, 2008 POFQ, 2009 ASSp, CSR & Pop, 2010 AKL, ASMo & Pop, 2011 AKL & Poly, 2012 POR, AKL & ASSp, 2013 Contemporary & BWI, 2014 POFQ, & BC
Old 06-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
hugApug

Day One: June1

We headed to SFO at 4 am and somehow made our way through the dense fog. Luckily we only live 20 minutes away from the airport, and we made it there in time for our 6 am flight! The bad weather at home made it just that much easier to head to sunny Florida!

After a brief stopover in Atlanta, we arrived in Orlando at 430 pm and were ready to begin our vacation! The guy at our rental counter(Budget) was grumpy and seemed upset that we didn't want to upgrade to a convertible....so, he gave us a bright yellow Chevy Cobalt. We were easy to find in a parking lot, that's for sure

We headed straight to the Baymont Inn, and had planned on checking in and then heading to MK for fireworks and fun. Unfortunately, the hotel was not as it had been advertised, and was supposedly "under construction." (I've been reading on some other trip review sites, and this location has been under construction for forever, without making any actual progress or changes).

I expect bugs in Florida, don't get me wrong, but not dead bugs and live ticks in my hotel room. The room, especially the bathroom, had not been cleaned. There were black hairs all over (bath tub, sink, tile floors, pillow, and towels). Anyway, I don't want to rant too much, but this was a horrible hotel to end up in, especially being so far away from home. I'll upload pictures later on, I just don't have them online yet.

We decided to make a late night of it at Downtown Disney, and check out first thing in the morning to POP. Luckily, they had openings..we just had to endure one bad night.

DBF was excited!

We found our first gator at Rainforest Cafe

The one major positive of the night was the surprising concert at House of Blues! Imogen Heap, my favorite singer a few years back, was performing that night. I had no idea she would be there and was beyond excited!!! The performance was really unique, and the crowd was even more interesting. I think it was definitely a locals hangout for the night, so we met a lot of Orlando residents who teased us for being Disney tourists. Oh well, we love the Disney magic

Sorry for the blurriness, I had to be stealth with my camera.

So, that was our day one. It definitely did not turn out as planned, but there were some positives. We got back late enough to the hotel to pass out quickly on top of the covers(and towels) and dreamt of Disney.

Up next: Day 2: Finally Home at Pop and Getting soaked on Kali River Rapids

Old 06-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
hugApug

Thank you guys for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
I'm in.

I've been dreaming about the wave pool ever since our trip! I think we could have stayed all day in it...and maybe we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnygrl1205 View Post
Joining in and excited to read more! We love Pop!
Pop is just amazing! I can't wait to go back someday.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
dstevens
Mouseketeer

Subscribing. With a Pug in your picture i just have to follow your report. Our Pug (Abbey) will be 9 next month and i swear her face at times looks like a Monkey. How old is your Monkey? We also have a Bulldog (Jade) so i call Abbey Jades mini-me.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
hugApug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstevens View Post
Subscribing. With a Pug in your picture i just have to follow your report. Our Pug (Abbey) will be 9 next month and i swear her face at times looks like a Monkey. How old is your Monkey? We also have a Bulldog (Jade) so i call Abbey Jades mini-me.
Abbey is a cute pug name! I wish that Monkey was still 9 months old like yours, but she will be 3 this July. We named her Monkey because she used to sit up on our shoulders like a little monkey when she was a puppy. Is Jade an english bulldog? I just love how soft and wrinkly they are

Old 06-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

I read as many TRs that take place at POP as possible because I am obsessed with it, but you so had me at TOM HANKS.

More TRs need to include his name in the title. Just saying.

And your pug is adorable. Can't wait for more!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #13
hugApug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
I'm in.

JanetMom-just read your completed trip report from the Contemporary. I loved all of your pictures, especially your sunset balcony pictures!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugApug View Post
JanetMom-just read your completed trip report from the Contemporary. I loved all of your pictures, especially your sunset balcony pictures!
Thanks! That was a great balcony - I still miss it.

Trip Report - Dining with Disers 2014
Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
Old 06-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
hugApug

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
I read as many TRs that take place at POP as possible because I am obsessed with it, but you so had me at TOM HANKS.

More TRs need to include his name in the title. Just saying.

And your pug is adorable. Can't wait for more!!!
T.Hanks for joining in! We are big Tom Hanks fans, so DBF tends to quote his movies *a lot*.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: