Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #136
Señor DonDuck
DIS Veteran

Sitting here looking at my lunch and then drooling over Palo pics... sigh. Ship pics are awesome!
Señor DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #137
Gav N Becx
DIS Veteran

Some of my highlights from this trip

In no particular order other than how quickly they come to memory...

1. Nougat Man from the Sweet Corsica tour. He was a riot. A true entertainer. If you are doing this tour then you're gonna love this guy.

2. The search for WIFI! Picture me walking around holding my phone at full arms length like a prat, looking for free WIFI at almost every opportunity I had....and a leap into the air on the three occassions that I actually found it. Fools gold man. Yes it was hi-larious.

3. Laugh-Yer-A$$-Off Lerici Tour Guide Woman.
Our tour guide at Lerici was great. She was really nervous bless her, but did a great job. She had this laugh that just cracked me up. I did a short interview with her on my Iphone about the tour and managed to record her laugh a few times within it. I'll see if I can upload it. Still makes me laugh when I hear it.

4. Yoohoo Man from the Flavours of Sorrento and Pompeii tour.
Ok let me explain. When we were doing the Pompeii tour, the tour guide had a tendency to get quite far ahead. Myself, DW, Pete, Walter, Max, Yvet & Emiel were the stragglers of the group. So everytime he'd almost get out of sight, he'd let out this "Yoooooohoooooo" to tell us to catch up. I'm not a dog and he's not my master, so we kept going at our own pace, making sure we took plenty of photos along the way. He was going far too quick. We did have radios to hear his commentary at each stop and the range was pretty good - about 20 metres, so we were able to hear most of what he said. Eerie static with subliminal messages if you went beyond that. So that's why I had such a desire to buy more Disney merchandise when back on the ship

5. Palo food. Yum yum yum. Best food on the ship, of course. If you are considering Palo, the brunch is superb. Some of those desserts were simply amazing - so rich. However, best dessert was the chocolate souffle at Palo dinner. The food from other restaurants had mixed reviews from our table (which you'll know if you've heard the podcast recordings we did, via the magic in the med wdwinfo page).

6. Room. Amazing. We were so lucky to get a category 9 and I must say, it spoilt me. Good size split bathroom, nice spacious room. I could live without the balcony. Thank goodness we have a cat 7 in December, because I am well and truly spoilt now. I know you spent very little time in your room and essentially it does not matter, but I really enjoyed the space we had. It felt like a normal hotel room.

7. Cove Cafe. If you're a coffee drinker, it has to be Cove. They had a great offer where you get a collector card. Each time you have a drink from Cove, they stamp the card. When you have 5 stamps (I think) on the card, the next drink is free....and that included alcoholic drinks. So you could buy 5 espressos and then get a free cocktail. Shhhhh I didn't say that. The cast members at Cove were great. I think that's what really makes Disney Cruise's so great for us - we always seem to find the great cast members. Our restaurant servers were great...we're now connected to some of the cast members on Facebook.....till we see them next time!

8. Of course the company I had on the cruise. Spending 11 magical days with my wonderful wife was way overdue. We both work full time, my days are long, I work at home too and our weekends are always go, go, go so we both really enjoyed spending some quality time together. Then on top of that, getting to spend that time with Pete, Walter, Max, Yvet and Emiel made it one super amazing trip to remember. We all had such a laugh and such great times together. I am soooo glad we saved and saved to go on this trip (and I mean we REALLY tightened the belts to make it happen). I will never forget it.

9. The farm we visited at Sorrento. Wow this place was great and quite humbling too. Showed me how simple life can be! By simple I don't mean easy, I mean back to basics. I distinctly remember how happy they all were. They produced some excellent quality olive oil, cheese and Limoncello here. We still have some lemon cream in the fridge, but what to do with it?
If we do another med cruise, I would definitely consider going on this tour again. The food they served was great. Fantastic flavours.

10. The cannons leaving the port at Malta. I know Becx has already mentioned this, but I want to reiterate how special it made you feel.....and you get that really cool delay from the cannons firing and seeing the smoke, to hearing the sound. Probably half a mile out of port at the time.

Looking back really reminds me how great this trip was.
Yoooooohooooooooooo
DLP New York Hotel - Jan 2004 *WDW Grand Floridian/Beach Club - Sept 2005 *WDW Beach Club - Oct 2006 *DFTW WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas/Boardwalk Inn - Oct 2007 *DLP Sequoia Lodge - March 2008 *WDW Saratoga Springs - Dec 2008 *DCL Podcast cruise - May 2009 *WDW Beach Club Villas - Sept 2009 *DCL 11 night Med cruise - April 2010 *DCL Podcast cruise 2 - Dec 2010

Gav N Becx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #138
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThomsLuvDisney View Post
I'm soooo hungry now, I love Palo!
I could eat that right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug24 View Post
Noooooooooooooooooo, you can't be done! We all enjoyed your pictures and commentary so much!
I can try and string it out more if you want Thanks for the comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
Becx - your "empty ship" photos are awesome!

The food at Palo doesn't look half-bad either.
Thanks, I wish I'd taken more - it's so much easier taking pictures with no one in them. I'm going to try and get some on the Wonder when we go in December

If you get the chance to do Palo go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapycruiser View Post
I have loved your report and all the great pictures !

Sweet Corsica question..... which wine did you prefer ? Would you recommend this tour ?

THANKS for taking the time to report !
Thnaks very much. As DH said I didn't think much to the wine. Personally I only like rose and white but they were not to my taste (I like a sweeter wine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor DonDuck View Post
Sitting here looking at my lunch and then drooling over Palo pics... sigh. Ship pics are awesome!
Just close your eyes and imagine you're eating the Palo food
DLP Santa Fe - Oct 2000 *DLP New York Hotel - Jan 2004 *WDW Grand Floridian/Beach Club - Sept 2005 *WDW Beach Club - Oct 2006 *DFTW WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas/Boardwalk Inn - Oct 2007 *DLP Sequoia Lodge - March 2008 *WDW Saratoga Springs - Dec 2008 *Swan and DCL Podcast cruise - May 2009 *WDW Beach Club Villas - Sept 2009 *DCL 11 night Med cruise - April 2010 *WDW Saratoga Springs/Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village/Bay Lake Towers and DCL Podcast cruise 2 - Dec 2010* WDW Old Key West - Dec 2011
Becx N Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #139
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Walter needed to get some pictures of the laundry rooms but as he was going ashore (Villefranche - France) and we weren't I voluntered to do that! Luckily they were pretty empty!

Deck 2

The one on deck 2 is the smallest, I can't remember if this was deck 6 or 7

This is the third one - it's much larger

I like how you don't need to use cash for the machines and detergents / softeners - very convenient!
DLP Santa Fe - Oct 2000 *DLP New York Hotel - Jan 2004 *WDW Grand Floridian/Beach Club - Sept 2005 *WDW Beach Club - Oct 2006 *DFTW WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas/Boardwalk Inn - Oct 2007 *DLP Sequoia Lodge - March 2008 *WDW Saratoga Springs - Dec 2008 *Swan and DCL Podcast cruise - May 2009 *WDW Beach Club Villas - Sept 2009 *DCL 11 night Med cruise - April 2010 *WDW Saratoga Springs/Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village/Bay Lake Towers and DCL Podcast cruise 2 - Dec 2010* WDW Old Key West - Dec 2011
Old 08-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #140
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

I again made the most of an empty ship - this time everyone was in France and not in bed though!

France -

Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #141
travelbug24
Searches for Hidden Mickey's in carbonated beverages.

I have a question regarding the laundry room. Do you need to swipe your card to use the iron?

Can you request an iron from your housekeeper?
travelbug24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #142
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

We did the FE gift excahnge - it was agreed we'd give something small and/or edible as many people had luggage restirctions.

Here is some of what we were given - everyone made a fantastic effort

Our tip envelopes - don't know why I took a pic of these, let alone 3!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #143
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug24 View Post
I have a question regarding the laundry room. Do you need to swipe your card to use the iron?

Can you request an iron from your housekeeper?
No the iron is free - the sign instructs you to set the timer but that is it!

You are not allowed an iron (one from the ship or your own) in your cabin so your stateroom host would not be able to bring one for you.

I found on a previous cruise the cost of getting garments ironed and delivered was quite reasonable if you only need a couple of things. I think if you need to iron anything and don't want to pay just make sure you go to the laundry room at a time when not many people are there. It's worth trying the other laundry rooms if the one you go to is busy, if you use the elevator it isn't too much hassle getting from one to another.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #144
travelbug24
Searches for Hidden Mickey's in carbonated beverages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becx N Gav View Post
No the iron is free - the sign instructs you to set the timer but that is it!

You are not allowed an iron (one from the ship or your own) in your cabin so your stateroom host would not be able to bring one for you.

I found on a previous cruise the cost of getting garments ironed and delivered was quite reasonable if you only need a couple of things. I think if you need to iron anything and don't want to pay just make sure you go to the laundry room at a time when not many people are there. It's worth trying the other laundry rooms if the one you go to is busy, if you use the elevator it isn't too much hassle getting from one to another.
Thanks so much Hopefully there won't be too much to touch up.
travelbug24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #145
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

I've been meaning to get back to this for while - time just flies!

The dinner theme tonight was Captain's Gala

The menu

The shrimp appetiser - both the same but Gav only had 2 on his plate! He asked for another one

Cured meat and roasted veg

Salad

I think this was a mushroom soup

Chicken parmesan entree

Lobster

Tuna

Desserts

Tonight we came back to a crocodile (or an alligator!)

Another FE gift

The next day was a sea day. We had breakfast at Lumiere's (turned out to be our favourite place for breakfast)

Then we started packing our stuff (I wanted to get most of it out the way early) however things took a turn for the worse when we headed into a storm! It started out a bit choppy and we wandered around a bit, went to the stores. But it soon got worse - at one point standing on deck 4 mid ship, out one window we could see the sea out the other the sky! It was a stuggle to stay upright! We went up in the elevator and there was water pouring down the inside of the doors! It was coming on deck futher up (I think they emptied the pools already).

It got so bad we had to go back to the cabin, we were both feeling a little green but I carried on packing, thankful we'd bought things before we felt bad. I had to give up though as the ship was rocking in four directions and I needed to lay down. Neither of us was sick but this was a force 11 gale we passed though! We had a high tea booked at Palo in the afternoon and thankfully we both felt better! Infact I was quite hungry!

I could have eaten a whole plateful to myself!

We did get a nice big pot of tea

Scones with cream and jam

I'm afraid I can't remember what we had for dinner that night - I think we may have had room service?

But that is pretty much the end of the photos, I didn't take any on the last day and when we were travelling. It was a shame we lost a sea day to the motion but we probably wouldn't have done much more - maybe an activity but we wanted to take it easy.

We had a great time and Gav has talked about doing another Med cruise (maybe not 2011 but in a few years). It certainly won't be our last cruise!

Thanks everyone for reading
Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #146
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Thanks for sharing your fantastic photos! I'm sorry to hear that you had that motion sickness but at least you got to enjoy Palo and you weren't confined to your room.
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #147
thinkoflaura
Mouseketeer

awesome pictures!!!

what kind of camera do you have?!!!

also - your meal photos are amazing -- and depict a lot of food. even when you say it was just the 2 of your food, it seemed like a lot. can i ask, what's a typical meal - how many courses?

Last edited by thinkoflaura; 09-21-2010 at 08:09 PM.
thinkoflaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #148
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

Spent a lovely evening looking at your report
even more excited about our cruise in June
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #149
GeneMachine
Mouseketeer

Many thanks for posting all the photos and details of your Med cruise last year. It's been enormously helpful to me as we prepare for our Med cruise in July. As a first time cruiser, I really have no idea what to expect. Your photos and descriptions, especially on the ship, have been great and have answered many questions I've had, but didn't know where or who to ask.

I wanted to send you a thank you via PM rather than clutter up your great thread with a thank you post, but my post count has to be 10 or more before I am allowed to do so.

Cheers to you both!
GeneMachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: