Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #31
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

After our meal we tried to stake out a place to watch the EPCOT fireworks display - Illuminations Reflections of Earth but people were already camping out in their spots. DW, DD and DDbf were to find a place while DS and I went to Mexico for him to get a gift for a co-worker. There was some lightning in the area so we weren't sure it was going to proceed. We found our crew near the Showcase Plaza and waited for the show to begin. It wasn't long and here is some of what we saw.

We thought it was over and started walking across the bridge that connects World Showcase and Future World when the display continued

As we were walking across the bridge I noticed the crepe myrtle trees lining the walk and made the comment to DS that I wonder what they do in the winter when all the blooms and leaves are gone. He reminded me that when we were at WDW Thanksgiving 2007 that the bridge was covered with lights. I guess that college education panned out after all!

A familiar site as we were leaving EPCOT

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 06-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #32
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Today we head back to MK until it is time for our 6:55 ADR TS meal at Biergarten in EPCOT-Germany. We grabbed a FP for Big Thunder Mountain RR and then headed to Adventureland for the Jungle Cruise. Jungle Cruise CM's are corny but you can't help but laugh. Recognize this?

We've ridden just about every ride there is at MK (I really miss the Skyway to Tomorrowland) so we ride now out of tradition. We rode, walked through or visited Swiss Family Treehouse, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain again (no pic this time), used our FP at BTMRR, Haunted Mansion and It's a Small World.

Time to eat so we use our CS meal credit at Pinocchios just around the corner from Small World. Entrees were standard fare - lots of chicken nuggets, a decent meatball sub and a pepperoni pizza salad. Desserts were either strawberry cheesecake or strawberry yogurt. We took our time as it was air conditioned inside and hot outside.

We made our way to Tomorrowland to ride Space Mountain. Years ago (1985) when DW and I came alone, you sat in the ride two to a capsule and the person in the back straddled their legs to the side of the person in the front. DW put her purse on the floor and as we went down that first steep drop off, her purse came out of the capsule. I don't know how I did it but I grabbed her purse and hung on to the purse, her and me with a death grip for the rest of the ride!

As you can see from the ride pictures below (imagine that? we have a ride pic!) the seating is different now. The seating is different but the facial expressions haven't changed!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #33
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Buzz Lightyear was Take Flight in 1997 the last time we rode this ride. We didn't ride it when we came in 2007. Likewise, Monster Inc Laugh Floor was The Timekeeper in 2007 so both Buzz and Monster are new to us. They are both great. Buzz is an interactive ride where Monster incorporates the audience into the show. With Monster, several of the audience members are used in the show so this will be a bit different each time you watch it. It's a good family show and you can even text a joke to them while waiting in line that might be used in the show.

On Buzz, DS and DDbf rode together; DW and DD rode together and I rode alone. You help Buzz fight off the Evil Emperor Zurg's robot minions with your laser cannon and it keeps score. Naturally I had the highest score but DS claims it was because I was in a spaceship by myself. Yeah...right!!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #34
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Now it is time to head to EPCOT for our ADR at Biergarten in Germany. We got mixed up and instead of turning left when entering World Showcase, we turned right and had to walk almost all the way around the World!! For once we were a few minutes late but it wasn't a problem. We were seated within 15 minutes. Each table seats 8 so unless you have 7 or 8 in your party, you will be seated with others to fill up the table. Biergarten is a Bavarian buffet with a floor show.

The buffet has dozens of items. Cold items include numerous types of salad (potato, bean, cucumber, mixed green, pasta, tomato and sausage - yes sausage salad!), cheeses and meats. There were two types of soup that vary with the season. The hot items included rotisserie chicken, pork roast, roasted potatoes, spaetzle, bratwurst, a meatloaf type dish in a red wine sauce, braised cabbage, salmon filet, various sausages and vegetables . There were several sauces for the meats but one in particular was an apple chutney. Put that sauce on the roast pork and add in the cold german potato salad and it was fantastic!! Desserts included florentiner cookies, Blackforest cake, Bavarian cheesecake, fresh fruit salad, vanilla pudding with chocolate chips, rote gruetze with vanilla sauce and baked apple strudel with vanilla sauce. Yum, Yum!! I think I tried almost every item they had!

The floor show is musicians playing in the Oktoberfest tradition. Diners are encouraged to make their way to the dance floor or follow along at your table in what I can only describe as a cross between the chicken dance and the macarena! No pictures here...I wouldn't wish that on anyone!!!

After our meal, we shopped Italy, France and the U.K. We did not watch Illuminations this time but today was EMH at EPCOT so we made our way back to Future World. Spaceship Earth was open now so we headed up into the big silver ball. It is a continuously moving ride through time and space with interactive touch screens in your capsule that allow you to build your view of tomorrow by entering in your choices. The ride uses image capturing and facial recognition technology so that at the end you can see yourself on a huge screen in various hilarious scenes such as

Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #35
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

Great update!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #36
ADAMANDLISA
DIS Veteran

Great trip report so far! I can't wait to hear more.

We stayed in the same building our first (and only) time to OKW. We loved the location so much that we have requested it for this trip!

10/12 POR-FQ 5/12 Bonnet Creek 9/11 OKW 1/11 ASSp 9/10 AKV 6/10 OKW 2/10 VWL 5/09 OKW/BWV 9/08 AKV 5/08 SSR 9/07 ASSp 11/06 ASMo Various offsite and DL
Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #37
heathers4um
DIS Veteran

I cant wait for our first trip home for the F&W the first week of Nov! Great trip report! I am also weighing out the TIW/DP...or to just stock up and eat in the 1 br we have! We are only doing EPCOT this particular trip since its just DBF and I. We want to relax and resort hop, go to DTD and get to know our new home! Still havent decided but you have been so helpful!

"While Eeyore frets ...and Piglet hesitates...and Rabbit calculates...and Owl pontificates...Pooh just is. "
Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #38
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Subscribing! Love the ride photos!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #39
sisaaliyah
Mouseketeer

Hey there! Loving your TR. I came over after finding your link on the OKW lovers thread. We just bought into OKW and have yet to stay there, so glad to see how much you enjoyed it. I see on the Hank's rentals sign you posted they have a pirates cruise for the kids, I didn't realize they had one of those at OKW. Too bad you missed TSM at DHS, we were able to ride it on our last trip and it's fantastic. Our stand out meal on our last trip was Biergarten. Can't wait to hear more about your trip. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #40
Mai Ku Tiki

DIS Veteran

Smile

Loving your TR....helped make Monday bearable

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; there is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #41
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

great installments.....the family is a riot, we always try to be ready to do funny faces, but never quite pull it off the way you do!!

Did you like Mama Rosies....we tried it once, but were not that impressed. I don't know if it is because we are from RI and have great Italian food on the Hill and it just doesn't compare, or is it that the restaurant is just really so so.

cheryl
Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #42
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy442 View Post
Great update!
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathers4um View Post
I cant wait for our first trip home for the F&W the first week of Nov! Great trip report! I am also weighing out the TIW/DP...or to just stock up and eat in the 1 br we have! We are only doing EPCOT this particular trip since its just DBF and I. We want to relax and resort hop, go to DTD and get to know our new home! Still havent decided but you have been so helpful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
Subscribing! Love the ride photos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisaaliyah View Post
Hey there! Loving your TR. I came over after finding your link on the OKW lovers thread. We just bought into OKW and have yet to stay there, so glad to see how much you enjoyed it. I see on the Hank's rentals sign you posted they have a pirates cruise for the kids, I didn't realize they had one of those at OKW. Too bad you missed TSM at DHS, we were able to ride it on our last trip and it's fantastic. Our stand out meal on our last trip was Biergarten. Can't wait to hear more about your trip. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Ku Tiki View Post
Loving your TR....helped make Monday bearable
Quote:
Originally Posted by chepic View Post
great installments.....the family is a riot, we always try to be ready to do funny faces, but never quite pull it off the way you do!!

Did you like Mama Rosies....we tried it once, but were not that impressed. I don't know if it is because we are from RI and have great Italian food on the Hill and it just doesn't compare, or is it that the restaurant is just really so so.

cheryl
Thanks for all the kind words. I'm glad others are getting something out of this labor of love. This is my first TR. I have admired what others have done and thought, "Oh that would be easy to do and fun". Fun, most definately; easy to do - NOT! First, you transfer the pics from your camera to your computer (two different cameras in this case, mine and DD). Second, you need an outline or timeline to put together some semblence of cogent thought which for me is difficult on a good day. Third, you select which pics you want to add to your report. We had a repository of over 500 pics taken between the two cameras (Kodak Z1012 IS and a Canon SD790 IS). The ride pics were scanned with our HP printer/copier/scanner. Fourth, you need to upload your pics to a site with a URL address in order to link them in your thread. I use Photobucket.com which is a free host website for pictures. I have over 100 pics uploaded and have used less than 3% of my storage capacity. Fifth and finally, you just do it!

And now for our last day at WDW...

Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #43
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Today is our last full day at WDW. We have decided to take it easy until our 5:30 ADR at the Grand Floridian Cafe. We also have reservations for the Wishes Dessert Party at 9:00. This dessert party is by reservation only and held at the Noodle Station Terrace in Tomorrowland at the MK. More later on this. The Wishes Fireworks display is at 10:00. The MK Spectromagic Light Parade is at 9:00 and 11:00. I decide to sleep in and then walk around the OKW resort. DW, DS, DD and DDbf want to ride Tower of Terror again so they head out to HS. Not sure what else they did but DW and DS return around 11:00 so we eat our CS meal credit at Goods To Go at OKW. We eat cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets with key lime pie and rice krispie treats for dessert. Nothing fancy, just good food. DW and I go back to the room to relax and DS heads to the pool. DD and DDbf have gone to EPCOT to find some gifts for other family members and they return to OKW and eat at Goods To Go as well. We get cleaned up and head to the Grand Floridian resort.

We take a bus to MK and since we have yet to ride the monorail, we take it from MK to the GF. If you have never been to the GF, you must go. Pictures I have seen do not do it justice. It is the most luxurious and naturally, most expensive of the WDW resorts. It has a AAA 5-diamond rating. There are 5 restaurants - GF Cafe, 1900 Park Fare, Citricos, Narcoossee's and Victoria & Albert's. The first four are on the DP but Citricos and Narcoossee's require 2 TS credits. Victoria & Albert's is in a class by itself. It has been a 5-diamond restaurant for over 10 years and has only one seating each night. It is the only restaurant in WDW that has a required (not suggested) dress code. DW and I will try this when we return after Thanksgiving...without the kids!!

The GF Cafe is the nicest of the restaurants that we have visited this trip. The atmosphere is more akin to a fine dining restaurant yet guests can still dine in their shorts and shirts. It's not as rushed as the other TS places and our CM Quanhang did not disappoint with his service. The menu is somewhat limited with only 8 entrees but I guess you do those things right and it doesn't matter. I'll always take quality over quantity anyway. It didn't matter for our party because we all ordered either the New York Strip or the Rib-eye. The meat was very tender and I believe you might have been able to cut it with a butter knife. Those that wanted water for their beverage were given a choice of tap water or chilled Evian bottled water. Duh!! We were trying to decide on desserts and Quanhang told us we could get their dessert sampler that had four different desserts on the DP plan. Again, Duh!! Our desserts were tiramisu, chocolate-hazlenut mousse cake, key lime tart and lemon cheesecake. The tray had a small easel with a sign that was also edible....well, I suppose it was....I ate it anyway!! While I'm eating the sign and everything else, I'm thinking we are going to a dessert party in 3 hours and this is the last night. We should have done this the first night so I could at least have had a chance to walk off some of the pounds!!! Oh well, great meal, great service and we are back on the monorail to MK.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #44
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

This is where the weather decided to be uncooperative and rain. Remember those cheap ponchos that fit in your pocket? DW, DD, DDbf and I pull them out and stay dry. DS, in his infinite wisdom, left his in the room so he has to buy one from one of the Main Street stores. It had a Mickey Mouse on it but over $9 to use once when you had one already? Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do. We stay in the shops on Main Street while it is raining and look around. Big mistake!! We should have braved the elements. DW and DD find something else to buy! Imagine that.

After the rain stops, we do a few rides again and then split up. DD and DDbf go to Fantasyland to ride the Mad Tea Party. DW, DS and I go to Tomorrowland to scope out the site for the Wishes Dessert Party. We pass by Buzz Lightyear and I happen to mention how bad I beat everyone the last time we rode. DS claimed it was because I had a space cruiser to myself the first time. That sounded like a challenge to me! I mean, I had to defend my title! This time DW and I were in one cruiser and DS was by himself. No excuses!! Needless to say, I am still the champion with 609,800 points!! Out of respect for my dear dejected DS (this time it was the cannon didn't fire right), I will not state his score. I think his score result was due to other factors. Can you guess what I am talking about?

You must take these tasks serious in order to achieve maximum results. Now here are two serious space cruising crime fighters.

Personally, I think the edge was due to my Tilley hat. I got lots of grief from my family because they are so used to seeing me in a baseball cap. It didn't matter. No sunburned ears, back of neck or face and waterproof when it rained. Works for me.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #45
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

It's now time for the Wishes Dessert Party. The cost is $25.99/adult and $13.99 for ages 3-9 (+ tax) but we used our AP/DVC discount so it was only $21.99 each. You make reservations by calling the same number for ADR's (407-WDW-DINE). There is no need to be there early or rush to get a table when you arrive. All seats are pre-assigned. If you can't get your sweet tooth satisfied at this party, there is no hope for you. Here are some pictures of the buffet and the terrace itself.

And yes, it was as good as it looks!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: