Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

The Family Trip that wasn't...

This is my first attempt at a TR so hope you all can bear with me. I am not the best writer but I will give it a shot. We got back a little less than a month ago and I have been meaning to start this a lot sooner but life got in the way (more on that later). I guess I should introduce myself and give you all a little background. My name is Danielle and I am 36 years old. I am a home health nurse and live in western NY (Near Rochester) although I am originally from Philadelphia. (GO FLYERS!! sorry, couldn't help it! LOL) My DH is Tim, he is 34 and works as a cleaner at the Racetrack near our home. We don't have any little ones yet but hope to at some point.

Here we are (sorry, I don't know how to make the pics smaller)

I guess I should explain the TR title and tell you how the trip came about. Last year my BIL (DH's Brother) had a cancer scare. He was diagnosed with a parotid gland (a salivary gland) tumor that was malignant, he had surgery (a pretty major one) and radiation and thank God all is well now (He was 100% Cancer free at his last check up! ) and at Easter last year my MIL and SIL and I were talking about how nice it would be to take a big family trip to celebrate this when he was finished with his readiation treatments. More discussion and it was decided to make it a trip to WDW. Well, to make a long story short and to fast forward a few months little by little it fell apart and it was looking like it wasn't going to happen. I told my DH all along that if it didn't happen we would go anyway (nobody was going to get me excited about Disney and then take it away!) So it became a trip for 2.

Next: Plans

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort

Last edited by rndmr2; 03-14-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
KYCruiseCrazy
I'll be drooling and dreaming
Never know how the pixie dust will fall
Keep a look out for a white kia with a DCL antenna topper

I love the size of the pics. You can see more of what was taken. I'm in for the TR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

I set the dates for our trip (5/2/10 to 5/9/10) to coincide with DH's B-day and the Flower and Garden Festival as I had always wanted to go during that time of year as I heard it was really nice and not too crowded. It took some doing to pin my DH down to where to stay and we played around on the Disney site with various resorts. Then the Deal with the Disney Gift Card came out and I couldn't pass it up. I let DH pick the Resort since this was only his 2nd trip and it would be his Birthday and he picked POR. I made the ressies for a King Bed room and requested Magnolia Bend (since I had stayed in the Bayou before and wasn't crazy about the decor. We got the $500 gift card and decided to use that on food but then we started looking at all the restaurants and decided to use the GC for Table service and then we got the QSDP for everything else. (I didn't think it would be too much food as DH is a big eater) so I made ADR's at a few places that we had talked about wanting to try:
Sunday: Tony's
Tuesday: Biergarten
Wednesday: Mama Melrose
Thursday: Le Cellier (could only get Lunch)
Friday: Whispering Canyon
Saturday: Coral Reef

Sunday 5/2/10
DH's parents picked us up at about 1130 am and took us to the airport in Rochester, we had an Airtran direct flight that left at 2:30. We were pretty early but I had never been to this airport and wasn't sure how far things were and thought it was better to be safe than sorry as far as lines at Security, etc. (we also had 2 C-Pap's to deal with and didn't know how complicated inspecting them would be, it didn't turn out to be that much of a big deal, although DH didn't take his belt off or empty his pockets so his go through the metal detector was a headache (Men! ) On the other side of the security line was this

It is called the Clock of Nations and it used to be at a shopping center that closed down and was moved here since it is a well loved landmark in Rochester.

Here is our plane coming in:

Next: Honor Flight

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort

Last edited by rndmr2; 06-05-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

You are off to a great start! Your pictures look beautiful.

Can't wait to hear more
Old 06-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Warning: I didn't take a lot of pics for this part of the trip but there will be plenty to come in subsequent updates...

While we were waiting for our flight, there were a lot of men gathering at the gate wearing matching T-shirts and they made an announcement that there was an Honor Flight coming in from DC. If you haven't heard of that it's an organization that provides trips for Veterans to visit the memorials in Washington DC, mostly they are WWII vets (they were all WWII on this flight) and as they got off the plane they asked everyone waiting to stand and clap for them. Many of them were in wheelchairs and they introduced them one by one so it took a while but it was actually very moving, I'll admit to getting a little teary. It helped pass the time very well and before we knew it we were getting on the plane.

I will say these were the worst seats I have ever had on a plane!! We were in the last row of 2 seats (there were 3 seats across the aisle) which I thought would be a good thing and even turned down an offer by the bag check girl to move to another row. There wasn't even a window and you know how airplane seats are, it was Cramped with a Capitol C! DH and I are both Pooh sized (and he is very broad shouldered) as you can see from my first post and I wasn't looking forward to a 2 hour flight like this. Thank goodness not too long after we got our seats the 2 ladies across the aisle from us moved up to the middle and the flight attendant asked if Tim wanted to move across, which he did, it was nice to spread out some. Still didn't have much room in front but at least I had shoulder room. Made for a much easier flight. The flight was a little rough (turbulence) and the Pilot had to turn the seat belt sign back on a few times, but we landed safely and landed on time but we had to wait a few minutes out on the runway because the gate was occupied.

We got off the plane and went out into the terminal to find the ME bus. It was a long trek to get there but once we did there was already a bus waiting and it left not long after we got on. We were also the first ones dropped off, which was a pleasant surprise. I guess I should back up a little and add that for a while I was really nervous about our 1st day ADR's, I had made an ADR for Tony's at 6:50 but then our flight times kept changing (total of about 40 minutes difference from when I made the ressie) and the more time went on I was nervous that we wouldn't make it and actually started planning on NOT making it.

We got to POR and checked in - we did online check in and this is definitely the way to go, it was so quick! We got our room assignment and walked to our room, it was a nice little walk, it was actually a really convenient location and I was so glad we got the requested Magnolia Bend. Our building was Magnolia Terrace, which is the most convenient Magnolia Bend building to the main pool and Front Desk and Food court, etc. The resort was beautiful, I had been there before but it had been quite a few years so it was mostly all new to me.

Next: Our Room

Last edited by rndmr2; 06-06-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Here are a few pics of our room just after we got there. It was room 8545.

After I took these I noticed the time-6:12pm! If we left right then we might be able to make our ADR! We walked to the bus stop behind our building and waited maybe 10 minutes for a bus to the MK. (I picked MK for our 1st night because they had PM EMH and I figured with the time getting there we could go to a park on the first day and see at least Spectro and Wishes so we could do rides during those the next day we went there) I had planned to switch everything over to my tote from my purse (I even had made a tag with a LGMH on it, but sadly, never got to show it off) but we didn't have time so I just took my purse. Let me tell you it was a pain to have to carry around and this was the last day we had any bag with us. Most of my previous trips I used a fanny pack (lame, I know!) and we had strollers or wheelchairs to hold stuff but didn't have one for this trip so I wasn't used to carrying anything with me.
We got off the bus and headed right to Tony's, we checked in at 6:52 and waited about 10 minutes. This was in the waiting room, thought it was kind of neat:

We were seated in the main room where the fountain of Lady and Tramp is, here is a pic of it that I took before we left.

Our waiter took a long time to come to our table and introduce himself and take our drink orders, etc. I think we waited about 20 minutes. There was some kind of issue with the table diagonal from us from what I could tell. When he finally got to us, he said his name was TJ and apologized for taking so long. We gave our orders and the food was brought out fairly quickly. My only problem was that we had ordered salads and then our main courses were brought minutes later. I hate when they bring courses out on top of each other. Thankfully this was not to be the pattern at other places. He did give us plenty of time to eat before coming over to ask about dessert and was pretty good at keeping the refills coming, so all in all he was a good waiter and we gave him a decent tip. We both had caesar salads, I had the Gnocchi, I think it was spinach, and DH had Chicken Parm (His fave). For dessert I had Tiramisu (this was really yummy!) and DH had the cheesecake. I think he had Lemonade to drink, I had Root Beer. Food was really good, I was pleasantly surprised by the gnocchi, they were very light. Don't have any food pics, my DH wouldn't let me, thought it was weird (don't worry I changed his mind eventually...) Used the GC but would have been $77 after Tip.

Next up: Spectromagic...

Last edited by rndmr2; 06-19-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

When we came out of Tony's it was about 8:05 or so and people were starting to line up for Spectromagic and there were some seats on the curb so we decided to wait. DH started to get antsy and wanted to move but I convinced him to stay put. They had some activities for the kids, which I think is a great thing, they had a hopscotch taped on the street and also some hula hoops and ring toss things. I took a few pics as we were waiting.

I love the light up balloons

Before too long, we were seeing these guys, They didn't turn out too great but I'll post them anyway.

Here are a few more of the parade, these are a little better:

Cinderella

Prince Charming

Next: Wishes

Old 06-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
DisGirl81
Earning My Ears

So far so good. I am enjoying reading about your first day!

Too many trips to remember. Most recent:
12/02 WL & POLY
10/03 Contemporary
10/05 BC
05/07 BC
10/09 WL & BLT!!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

We got a fairly good spot for Wishes, only a little obstructed by a little girl on her Dad's shoulders but I could still see, so it wasn't too bad, as I'm pretty short. Here are a couple pics and a video, not sure if the video will work, (I've never posted a Video) but I'll give it a try.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
MousekaMaddi
DIS Veteran

more please!!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
KYCruiseCrazy
I'll be drooling and dreaming
Never know how the pixie dust will fall
Keep a look out for a white kia with a DCL antenna topper

Really enjoying the TR. Love the pics too
Old 06-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCruiseCrazy View Post
I love the size of the pics. You can see more of what was taken. I'm in for the TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
You are off to a great start! Your pictures look beautiful.

Can't wait to hear more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisGirl81 View Post
So far so good. I am enjoying reading about your first day!
I have readers!! Thanks for reading

Old 06-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
mousebymarriage
DIS Veteran

Great trip report and pics so far, can't wait to hear more!
1990(DH & I first trip together-dating) * 1994(DH & I-now married 6 months)
1997(DD first trip 6 months old)and family
1998(DH, Me & DD)and family
1999(DH, Me & DD)and family
2000(DH, Me & DD)and family
2002(DH, Me , DD, DS first trip 7 months old)and family
2003(DH, Me, DD, & DS)and family
2005 April(DH , Me, DD, & DS) * 2005 Oct.(DH & I only)and family/friends Adults only trip
2006(DH, Me, DD, & DS)and family 2011(DH,Me,DD, DS)
2007(DH , Me, DD & DS)and family2012(DH, Me, DD, DS, DD's BFF and 2 Dnephews)
2008(Grand Gathering 17 of us)
2010(DH, Me, DD,DS)
Old 06-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

After Wishes we decided to make the most of the EMH and headed over to Tomorrowland to ride Buzz. showed our KTTW cards and got in line, waited about 10-15 minutes. I love Buzz it's so much fun I don't remember the scores but I do remember that I beat DH, I teased him about that one a few times!
Then we walked around Tomorrowland a bit, was disappointed to see the COP and the People Mover (I don't think I will ever be able to stop calling it that) not open for EMH and Tim is not a fan of SM so we headed over to Fantasyland and I convinced Tim to go on the Mad Tea Party! Neither of us is a fan of fast spinning so we just sat in the cup and it was fun! Here are a couple pf pics of us in the Teacup. You can see how hot we were, I couldn't believe how hot it was, we had long pants on too which wasn't fun. Not the best pics but here they are:

After the Teacups we went on Pooh where the CM checking cards at the entrance was giving out stickers, mostly to little kids but he gave one to Tim and I, they were cute, said Honorary Prince and Princess of the day and they had Cindy and Prince Charming on them. While we were in line, there was a couple in front of us that started waving to someone out of the line, waving them over, and then proceded to let them in line with them at one of the turns in the cue. Now I know line cutting is a sore spot for a lot of us and usually it doesn't bother me if it is one or two people like a 2nd parent with a kid, but this seriously was about 5 people! I really wanted to say something but I kept my mouth shut.

After Pooh, we went over to Mickey's Philharmagic and Snow white, and then Small World, which Tim had never been on since it was being refurbed last time we were there (in 04). Walked on both rides, waited a few minutes for Philharmagic (they had just started a show)

By this time we started to get a little hungry and wanted a snack, Pinnochio's was closed, we headed all the way over to Pecos Bill's but they were closed and by then the only thing open was Cosmic Ray's which was clear on the other side of the park. We were pretty tired out by the time we got there and they only thing they had were burgers and hot dogs, so I got a hot dog with the apple slices and Tim got a burger and fries, we used 2 CS credits and then took a rest and ate, I wasn't overly hungry but the hot dog hit the spot. We got chocolate cake for dessert and I took mine with me since we were going to head out of the park at this point.

I can't remember how long we waited for a bus but I do know we stood. Then we missed our stop and had to get off at the main building but it turned out to be about the same distance and this became the one we used most of the time anyway. We were beat by the time we got to our room and REALLY hot and sweaty! By this time it was about 2am and our suitcase was there waiting.

Up next: Animal Kingdom!

Last edited by rndmr2; 06-19-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: put wrong date of last trip! Crazy me!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Nice installment. I hear you about the hot and sweaty. My family went once in June. We coined a new term for the weather 'Africa Hot".

We love POR. Your room pics brought back good memories. Looking forward to Animal Kingdom!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: