Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #31
GoofyG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post

I do really love meeting people at WDW!
Doesn't happen often, but I do always try to have a lime green Mickey head on my purse with my DIS user name on it.

About the Passporter Book:
You can find the book at Passporter.com or by doing a search on Amazon.com.

The current version of the book is called "Passporter's Open Mouse".
I was one of the peer reviewers for the first edition of the book, so am very familiar with it.

I do usually mention it is an excellent resource, but can look overwhelming because it is a rather large book. Keep in mind that it is covering information about everything, including the all resorts. So, there are large sections that you will be able to skip if you have already chosen your resort.
I think it is best to take in small 'doses' to start with. Just chose somewhere you would like more information about and skim through that section. Don't try to remember or note everything the first time you read it - you will quickly feel overloaded.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #32
WendyisDarling
DIS Veteran

My DS is a sensory "seeker" also and would never sit in a stroller. He craves movement, he needs to touch things, etc. If you have an OT ask him/her for some advice. Definitely try to use FastPass. Bring "fidget" toys like squishy balls, "hair" balls, all with different textures. Find little toys that will engage the hands. A stuffed animal isn't going to work, in my experience.

You may also inquire about deep pressure that you can apply. Ask your OT before doing too much. My DS absolutely needs this. But, simple things like lettling the child squeeze your hands or doing a simple push/pull with you while waiting can help.

As far as movement, let the child hop in place.

When not in line (and you should be taking plenty of breaks) find a place without a crowd where the child can run. If he is a flight risk, of course be sure the area is contained. That goes without saying.

Plan for plenty of pool time!

I have found my DS does better than expected at WDW. I think it is because there is so much vestibular stimulation and a lot of walking that helps with movement and low body tone.

Although, my DS needs more stimuli than others he has a very low need for visual stimulation. (My point being that not all "seekers" have a high need for every type of stimulus.) He needs sunglasses. If an attraction has a lot of visuals, he needs a break after.

Try not to worry too much. A lot of people are much more understanding than you think. I thought I would die last year when DS (age 11 then) went up to a total stranger (woman) and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She just smiled and I gave a brief apology and explanation.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
2plus2equalsus
Earning My Ears

I agree with the use of a stroller. You can have a stamp on the GAC that lets you use the stroller like a wheelchair all the way to the ride (in come cases).
My SPD son (4yrs) is a screamer & "get out of my space" pusher. At our recent trip to DL we used the stroller more than we thought. He has low muscle tone and anxiety so the stroller like a wheelchair helped in many ways! Otherwise we would've had to hold him in line (yes hold a 4 yr old...exhausting!). I think it became his "safe" spot. He's a movement seeker too and he never complained about getting in the stroller, especially if it meant to get on a ride.

For your situation I think the stroller would be a good break spot as another poster said. But mostly it would keep her contained & safe while waiting in the line. Even if she only sat in it when in line. You could put a weighted lap blanket in her lap and/or neck weight (you could get/make a special one with her fav disney character) and give her a fidget (I'd get her a new one for each day, then have the others as backup, that she can ask for).
You could also use it in crowed situations and add some vestibular input for her sake. Like going on two wheels (side to side), tipping her backwards, going and stopping, driving it curvy, etc. Of course make sure she is strapped in

Also I did a lot of research on the type of stroller and "practiced" using it before we went. I got a small, umbrella type, with a hood. Most importantly a deep sitting spot & good foot support. I got it a Toys r us. I can look for the link and PM you if interested.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: You are not alone!! I sounds like you have a wonderful and supportive family and of course God. You are so right that He doesn't give you more than you can handle but boy is it hard! Remember he wouldn't put you in it if He didn't know you could get through it. Also remember that He wouldn't make this trip happen if He didn't want you to do it. Fully rely on God and the Magic of Disney. And use the DISboards for help. "We are here for you!"

I grew up going to Disneyland yearly.
We Honeymooned at Disneyland in 2002.
We celebrated the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland. And our first son's first trip. 2005.
First trip to Christmas at DL 2007.
I spent 24 hours at Disneyland on Leap Day 2011.
Our Family's first trip for our 10th wedding Anniversary to DL in 2012.
DS Birthday Trip & Kids first trip to WDW. 2013

Last edited by SueM in MN; 02-06-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #34
momof3poohlovers
DIS Veteran

My son is a little younger than your dd but he has Autism and SPD. We find for him when we are waiting in lines or in crowds, he does so much better if he is in his stroller as several other PP's have said. I think he feels more secure and it helps block out a lot of stimuli as well as keeps him from feeling trapped I believe. However, I was thinking, if your dd isn't used to the stroller anymore, it may bother her more than it helps so maybe try and use it some before your trip.

We just got Sat. from a trip and it was wonderful because it was not crowded at all. For us, we used the stroller in any line that had a wait longer than 5 or 10 min. (we still waited in the regular line unless we had a FP) and then when we weren't in line or walking in a crowded place, we let him run around to burn off some energy. We also found that going to the parks early, leaving after lunch for a break, and then letting him play at the resort playground in the afternoon helped keep him from getting too overwhelmed. We were also there in Nov. and had a horrible trip with lots of tantrums and NO sleep. I think the difference for us this time was there weren't really any crowds and we were a little smarter about the balance between stroller and letting him be himself.

I hope your trip goes well and that everything works out for you and your family!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #35
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

You guys know this thread is like 2 and a half years old right?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #36
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
You guys know this thread is like 2 and a half years old right?
Just what I was going to post.

I'm going to lose this one. It does have some good, helpful information, but is a bit old.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: