Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2002, 07:25 PM   #1
Eeyore2U
I'm the one you talk about. I rain on parades and don't want others to be happy. Life isn't all PD!!

To the steak lovers?

How many have tried Shula's and if you haven't why not?

I've been to many steakhouses and Shula's is IMO, the very best. If you read my posts on the matter you'd know that.

I'm just wondering why so many go to some of the others but not Shula's.

<font color=red>Please read the DIS Guidelines : No more than 8 lines of text, 2 countdowns, 35k total bytes, and no bigger than 400x400 graphic area. Click on link for full details ~ The DIS Moderators</font>
Eeyore2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 09:48 PM   #2
jennymouse

Nana to Skye & Haley!

I'm just speculating, because I've never eaten there myself, but maybe it's because it's a nondisney restaurant in a nondisney hotel. I know there are several S/D people on these boards, but there are lots of us that just don't think they're disney so it's like they aren't even there.

Then again, it could be the fact that Shula's prices are higher than a cat's back!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2002, 10:09 PM   #3
ahutton
WDW Bride Dec 6, 1996

The only reason we haven't tried Shula's yet is we recently found out it was there. And for this last trip we only had one night out away from the kids, who were with my folks at the Dolphin, so we left the area and went to Narcoosees. I plan to make it there in December, it sounds too good to miss.

Proud Second Generation SwanDolphin Cheerleader
ahutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 10:54 PM   #4
minster22
DIS Veteran

We ate at Shulas on our trip this past spring.We were scouting it out as a possible spot for dinner for our friend Pooh's Pal {on these boards} to celebrate her 50th birthday. Although the food was excellent, the service was so shabby that I doubt we'll ever go back. My best friend and I went and I think they made a rush to judgement about two women having dinner and maybe not being the best tippers in the world. Now that was a mistake because we are both waitresses and always leave a ridiculous tip for good service. The servers at Shulas work as a team and our team was so disinterested in our table that it was very hard to enjoy our meal. It was also freezing in the dining room so much so that even with sweaters on, it was uncomfortable.Of course it could not be turned down just in this room supposedly without turning down the whole restaurant. The whole experience was just unenjoyable.We love eating at great restaurants and this just did not cut it for us. Now the Flying Fish.....our very favorite place at Disney, great food , great service always and just a very fun atmosphere for dinner.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:40 AM   #5
madcoco
Learns something new here everyday
Arghh The Life of a Nomad
Where's Me Treasure Matey?

We didn't have the best service as well(only 1 visit but used to eat at Harry's Safari regularly) and it was not busy.But will agree that it was the best filet I have had on property.(maybe it was the good cabernet that went with it.LOL)I have heard complaints about prices being very high so that could keep quite a few away. We have some steak establishments out here in Vegas that make Shula's look like Ponderosa(price wise) LOL

Mike,Bunny,Tara DVC

"Today's the Day"
Got Yar?
madcoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 05:32 AM   #6
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Just speculation here as well--the high prices, plus it's possible reputation as a clubby, men-only spot. When I very first mentioned Shula's as a possible destination to Mrs. Uncleromulus (and we are going in Sept!!), she said "Oh--isn't that where all those football players go"?
I guess what she was saying is that it has the look and feel of a spot where women and children might not exactly feel comfortable, or enjoy themselves.
And from my own observation, it looks like a place that isn't "'Disney" casual--a place where folks like me (who don't like to dress for dinner while on vacation) would automatically rule out.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 06:11 AM   #7
WorknFires
Live Well, Laugh Often & Love Much Can't ask for more than that!

I agree with Uncleromulus & his wife. Not that I thought about the football players but that it doesn't seem marketed for me, a female. I don't mind paying for a decent meal. I'm treating DH, myself, DM, DD, DstepM, DstepS, DMIL & DFIL to dinner at the Yachtsman and I'm sure it's going to set me back (altho not as much as Shula's would) so price IS a deterent. I've never even set foot in the S/D. I keep saying I need to go try the character buffet but it doesn't seem like a Disney hotel to me.
But the icing on the cake is... dressing up for dinner. I know this is a well to do restaurant but I'm on vacation! I don't WANT to dress for dinner. I'm going on the Disney Wonder after my WDW stay next month and I don't want to dress for dinner then either (altho I will make a half hearted effort).

So my #1 reason for not going to Shula's is the dress code and
#2 is the price. Location and marketing I can overcome.
Maybe one day.................

PS to Uncleromulus: I'll be there Sept 13-22. Hope to see you in the World
07/89 Off site 07/91 Off site 07/95 Contemp 09/00 PO-FQ/Dis Wonder 10/01 ASM/OKW/Wonder 01/02 FtW Campgrnds 03/02 Off Site 09/02 WL/OKW/POR/Wonder 01/03 FtW Campgrnds 06/03 CBR 10/03 OKW/East Dis Magic/AKL 01/04 FtW Campgrnds 05/04 Off site 09/04 OKW/East Dis Magic 01/05 FtW Campgrnds 06/05 FtW Campgrnds 09/05 DL/Alaskan Cruise 11/05 SSR 01/06 FtW Campgrnds 09/06 West Dis Magic 11/06 SSR 01/07 FtW Campgrnds 06/07 10 day Med Cruise Dis Magic09/08 ABD The Emerald Isle 11/08 SSR/OKW 08/09 SSR 09/09 DCL Magic 11/09 Boardwalk 01/10 FtW Campgrnds

There's so much that we share, that it's time we're aware,It's a small world after all!
WorknFires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 06:16 AM   #8
Eeyore2U
I'm the one you talk about. I rain on parades and don't want others to be happy. Life isn't all PD!!

I understand the price but the dress is enforced like most other WDW places. It's not!!! lol.

It shocks me about people saying they got bad service. The times we have been there we've been fawned over.

<font color=red>Please read the DIS Guidelines : No more than 8 lines of text, 2 countdowns, 35k total bytes, and no bigger than 400x400 graphic area. Click on link for full details ~ The DIS Moderators</font>
Eeyore2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 06:41 AM   #9
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

WorknFires:
Alas, we're not going until 9/28--

EEYore2U:
As noted, we're going to Shual's in Sept. We'll all be in "theme park casual". Hoping we'll all like it and at least I can then say I've been there myself!!
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:44 AM   #10
f-LORI-da
Mouseketeer

Red face Steak only, please

I've stayed at both the Dolphin and the Swan, so location has never been a deterent for me. I guess you could say my reason for not trying Shula's is price... I just can't bring myself to pay extra for the vegetables, lol!
Old 08-14-2002, 06:11 PM   #11
DeeP
Registered

I am a real steak lover and when Shula's opened I was very eager to try it, so we did. I found the decor very dark and plain, we had excellent service, I found the prices very high since everything is ala carte and although the filet was good I have had better filets and strip steaks at other WDW restaurants for lower prices, with just as good service and in a more appealing restaurant decor. I am not saying I would never, ever go back to Shula's but it is definitely not on my must do restaurant list when I am at WDW. Now the seared NY strip steak at the Flying Fish, is a different story, I have this at least once each trip to WDW.
DeeP is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: