Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #376
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi Fan View Post
Hi all!

I spoke to a cast member today about adding Disney Dining (specifically, the free dining plan), and she complimented me on how much I already knew. Anything I know? You guys. I can't overstate how HELPFUL everyone has been here.

Now that I've made the leap and booked the resort -- assuming I can call and get the free dining added -- I have a question:

-- My family of three is on the dining plan.
-- Our son, age 10 as of the trip, is counted as "adult."
-- Let's say my husband and I use table-service credits for a meal.
-- Can we buy our son a meal using cash?
-- In other words, if one of us is using a credit, must we ALL use a credit?

Thanks to everyone, so much.
You can pay out of pocket for whatever you want. Many people, if they have a child with a small appetite, pay out of pocket for them and use their credit later on.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #377
Nezumi Fan
Mouseketeer

Perfect -- exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks so much, Maxie's Mom!
Nezumi Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2014, 01:46 AM   #378
Crl1817
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOERLX3 View Post
IF you are on Free Dining, yes it is only $21 to upgrade your child to an adult. Without FD, it is a lot more. Remember, you are only paying to upgrade the tickets and the longer you stay, the cheaper the daily tickets We will be going 7 nights/7 days in September. My 6 year old grandson eats like an adult (his 11 year old brother, not so much. LOL) and the difference when I priced it out is an extra $21. It is a no brainer to me. He will be able to order off the adult menu or the kids menu and you are right, there will be plenty to share
I know that people try to order adult meals using kids credits all the time and I have seen families questioned by a CM and even one family talked to by a manager/team member. I am always embarrassed for the family, especially for what they are teaching their kids. My conscience would never let me be dishonest like that. The extra $21 is soooo worth it. But remember, the $21 extra is ONLY IF you have Free Dining.
Thank you so much! I would never have thought of this. We just made our four year old an adult for our trip and paid $20 for the privilege of avoiding meltdowns over not being able to order the same thing as her 11 year old brother.
Crl1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #379
SPOERLX3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crl1817 View Post
Thank you so much! I would never have thought of this. We just made our four year old an adult for our trip and paid $20 for the privilege of avoiding meltdowns over not being able to order the same thing as her 11 year old brother.
There are going to be times that my DGS6 is only going to want chicken nuggets or something else from the kids menu but if/when he finds something on the adult menu he would rather have to eat then there will be no issues at all. It is sooooo worth it
Old 07-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #380
andigomeep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
If there is a children's menu offered, you must use your children's credits to order from it. Disney states this clearly.
Piggy backing on the earlier question. We do not eat meat and my son does not eat peanut butter, that really limits most of our kids meal options, so under that reasoning if we ordered more adult meals at places where the kids meals don't offer anything, that's okay?
andigomeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #381
SPOERLX3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andigomeep View Post
Piggy backing on the earlier question. We do not eat meat and my son does not eat peanut butter, that really limits most of our kids meal options, so under that reasoning if we ordered more adult meals at places where the kids meals don't offer anything, that's okay?
I'm not sure I understand "if we ordered more adult meals at places where the kids meals don't offer anything".

Let me see if this answers your question.
My family is 2 adults + 1- 10 yr old (disney adult) + 1- 7 yr old
My MB is going show 3 adults + 1 child
If I go to a QS location to order my food. IF they have a child's menu then I can only order 3 adult meals + 1 kids meal.
If I go to a QS location that does not offer a child's menu then I would be able to order any meal on the menu since they do not offer a a kids meal.

This is why, if you have a child that does not eat like a child, it would be to your advantage to ask Disney to show your child as a Disney adult on your reservation so you have no worries when it comes meal time. If you are going with FD, it is a total of $21 to upgrade your child.

I hope this helps
If I missed it completely, let me know
Old 07-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #382
maxiesmom

Quote:
If there is a kid's menu, then your child has to order from it. Or you have to pay out of pocket for their meal. If there is not a kid's menu then they can order from the only menu offered.

I suggest you look at menus before heading to the parks. That will be a big help!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #383
andigomeep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If there is a kid's menu, then your child has to order from it. Or you have to pay out of pocket for their meal. If there is not a kid's menu then they can order from the only menu offered.

I suggest you look at menus before heading to the parks. That will be a big help!
There are quite a few places we can order a nice vegetarian meal on the adult menu but the children's menu is two meat choices. Ordering from it is simply not an option. I guess this is why we don't usually do the dining plan, free or not.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #384
andigomeep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand "if we ordered more adult meals at places where the kids meals don't offer anything".

Let me see if this answers your question.
My family is 2 adults + 1- 10 yr old (disney adult) + 1- 7 yr old
My MB is going show 3 adults + 1 child
If I go to a QS location to order my food. IF they have a child's menu then I can only order 3 adult meals + 1 kids meal.
If I go to a QS location that does not offer a child's menu then I would be able to order any meal on the menu since they do not offer a a kids meal.

This is why, if you have a child that does not eat like a child, it would be to your advantage to ask Disney to show your child as a Disney adult on your reservation so you have no worries when it comes meal time. If you are going with FD, it is a total of $21 to upgrade your child.

I hope this helps
If I missed it completely, let me know
We're only doing the CS plan. Would that be the price for upgrading him to that? And what I meant was just using his credit to get another adult meal which I know isn't what Disney wants but when it's a hamburger or chicken nuggets, etc there might as well be no kids menu because he can't eat either. I wish there were more vegetarian meals on the kids menus.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #385
andigomeep
Mouseketeer

I just figured it the easiest way to use his credits, can I order two kids meals at a time? If so I'll just use them both for breakfasts then share my meals with him since that's what we normally do anyway.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #386
SPOERLX3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're only doing the CS plan. Would that be the price for upgrading him to that? And what I meant was just using his credit to get another adult meal which I know isn't what Disney wants but when it's a hamburger or chicken nuggets, etc there might as well be no kids menu because he can't eat either. I wish there were more vegetarian meals on the kids menus.
Yes, IF you are going and you have the Free Dining plan it is only $21 to upgrade a child to an adult so they can order off the adult menu. It is so worth it.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #387
maxiesmom

Quote:
I just figured it the easiest way to use his credits, can I order two kids meals at a time? If so I'll just use them both for breakfasts then share my meals with him since that's what we normally do anyway.
With the dining plan you can only order 2 kids meals at a time if you have 2 kids. You can always pay for one out of pocket, but you can only order the number of credits that you have people for. For example with 2 adults you can order 2 adult meals but not 3. With 1 child you can order 1 kids meal but not 2.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #388
andigomeep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
With the dining plan you can only order 2 kids meals at a time if you have 2 kids. You can always pay for one out of pocket, but you can only order the number of credits that you have people for. For example with 2 adults you can order 2 adult meals but not 3. With 1 child you can order 1 kids meal but not 2.
Thanks, wasn't aware of that. Good thing to know before I ordered two and had to pay oop for one.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:18 AM   #389
MiceFan
I like this place

Quote:
IF you are on Free Dining, yes it is only $21 to upgrade your child to an adult. Without FD, it is a lot more. Remember, you are only paying to upgrade the tickets and the longer you stay, the cheaper the daily tickets We will be going 7 nights/7 days in September. My 6 year old grandson eats like an adult (his 11 year old brother, not so much. LOL) and the difference when I priced it out is an extra $21. It is a no brainer to me. He will be able to order off the adult menu or the kids menu and you are right, there will be plenty to share
The extra $21 is soooo worth it. But remember, the $21 extra is ONLY IF you have Free Dining.
Oh my goodness, this is genius! My youngest is an adventurous eater so this is perfect for us.
My concern with making ANY changes to our reservation though is, are you absolutely positively sure that it won't mess up anything else (like make me lose my ADRs) if I make the switch from child to adult? I realize it's probably a stupid question but I've been reading Dis horror stories!
Thank you so much, my little one will be so excited...a real dessert too!

Always ready to go back.
8 trips to the World, a few to the Land & 1 Disney Cruise
Mary DH The kiddos!
MiceFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #390
SPOERLX3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiceFan View Post
Oh my goodness, this is genius! My youngest is an adventurous eater so this is perfect for us.
My concern with making ANY changes to our reservation though is, are you absolutely positively sure that it won't mess up anything else (like make me lose my ADRs) if I make the switch from child to adult? I realize it's probably a stupid question but I've been reading Dis horror stories!
Thank you so much, my little one will be so excited...a real dessert too!
Yes, absolutely positive! I just found out about this little nugget of information just before our last trip and I had already made all my reservations. Didn't mess up a thing. Now that Disney has implemented MDE,
I would go in and build another profile for the child you are upgrading to an adult showing them as 10.
Then call Disney to upgrade them. Just tell your CM that you want to upgrade your child to a Disney adult so they will be able to order off the adult menu.
Then on your reservations, just change the member of your party from one of your childs profile to the other

My CM this year even offered it to me when we started talking about the ages of my DGS's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: