Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
TinkerBean
Earning My Ears and Losing My Mind
That Shucks

Any ideas on how to get sharpie marker out of clothing? - SUCCESS!

DD was playing with water balloons and decided to use sharpies to draw faces on them. The marker from the balloon smudged onto her new shorts. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Me DH DS 13 DD 10
Thanks Mazda
"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity” Albert Einstein
Hans Christian Anderson, David Byrne, Albert Einstein, Michelangelo, Thomas Jefferson, Alan Turing, Andy Warhol, Bill Gates, Temple Grandin [and DS Max] are all said to have had Aspergers’ Syndrome. (wikipedia, 2007)
http://mominmedford.blogspot.com
read about the adventures of navigating the school system when you have a child with Asperger's...

Last edited by TinkerBean; 06-03-2010 at 10:06 AM.
TinkerBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

I have one suggestion, but it's a risky one.

There is a cleaning product called "Greased Lightning". It's really potent stuff, and will remove dried on paint from anything so it's not the best stuff to be using on clothes, but if all else fails this might do the trick.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
woodkins
DIS Veteran

Hairspray will remove ink from clothing, I have used it with ballpoint pen ink, but it may be worth a shot.

7/14 BC, 4/14 ASSP, 10/13 POLY, 8/13 WL, 4/13 WORLDS @ASMu, 11/12 Aulani 9/12 AKL, 7/12 BC, 10/11 POLY, 9/10 POLY, 12/09 POP, 9/09 GF, 2/09 POFQ, 12/08 POLY, 5/08 POLY, 12/07 POLY, 5/07 ASSp, 12/07 CB, 9/07 AKL, 12/06 ASMo, 9/06 WL,
woodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
2minnies
DIS Veteran

borrowed from another site:

RE: Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing
I emailed Sharpie and this was under their FAQ answers:

"The successful stain removal of ink stains differs from case to case because of the many types of fabrics, colors, inks, and time elapsed before stain removal. We cannot guarantee stain removal since many variables can be involved. Testing first is always recommended as well as following both the stain remover and clothing manufacturer's instructions. Following these steps should result in partial or complete removal.

General Rules:

1. Treat stains as soon as possible. Fresh stains can be removed more easily than old ones.
2. Check manufacturer's labels as to fabric content and any special instructions
3. Always test stain removal solution first on a hidden part of the article or on swatch of fabric taken from seam allowance to insure no color loss or damage will occur.
4. Where possible, lay stained article face down on paper towels or clean white cloth and apply stain removal solution to underside of stain so that stain can be removed from the surface instead of pushing it through the fabric. Replace towels or cloth as they absorb stain to prevent stain transfer.
5. If enlisting the aid of a professional laundry or dry cleaner, be sure to indicate what the stain is and the type of fabric.
6. Do not iron stained garments or put in dryer as this may set stain.

Also try Amodex Stain Remover for permanent ink: Amodex Products, P.O. Box 3332, Bridgeport, CT 06605, Phone203) 335-1255 or go to amodexink.com
Old 06-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Alesia
DIS Veteran

rubbing alcohol.

Alesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
tommya60
Mouseketeer

Stretch the fabric tight, single layer. If necessary put an old towel between the stain and the opposite fabric (you don't want the marker to run onto other fabric. Then try rubbing alcohol or hairspray. For the rubbing alcohol, get a cotton ball or a piece of towelling REALLY wet and rub. For the hairspray, staurate the fabric as much as possible, then pour water through the spot (you might neet a helper---or stretch it over a bowl and rubber band in place). Be very careful so you don't just "move" the spot to a new place. It can take some time, but I have been successful in the past.
Oh course, applique patches from Micheal's or Joann Fabrics work well, too!
tommya60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
MissBritt
It's a small, small world.

Q-tip soaked with rubbing alcohol. May not get it all out, but it should pull most of the color from the marker.

December 2009-Port Orleans Riverside DXDDP
January 2010-All Star Sports QSDP
December 2010- Coronado Springs DDP
December 2011- POP Century

MK 9Xs, HS 2Xs, EP 2Xs, AK 3Xs, BB 1Xs, CdS 1Xs
MissBritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
r1lissa
Mouseketeer

The Dollar General store sells the most amazing cleaner that I have ever used. (And it truly is only $1.) I can't remember the exact name, but it is in an short, circular, orange and white container in the laundry area of the store. I believe it is made by 3M.
A green crayon got melted in our dryer along with half a dozen pair of blue jeans. I covered the jeans in this cleaner and it ALL came out. A friend used it to get blood out of her car upholstery- don't ask.
One word of caution though- don't store it near the dryer because the cleaner will melt. It's kind of a goo.
r1lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
Hairspray will remove ink from clothing, I have used it with ballpoint pen ink, but it may be worth a shot.
A combination of a whole lot of liquid hairspray and soaking in Shout stain stick, Oxyclean, and Wisk HE and washing several times saved a light blue denim shirt which had been washed and dried with a gel ink pen in the pocket. (The pen sort of exploded onto the shirt.)

I think we have gotten Sharpie out with just hairspray and laundering if the stain was noticed before the garment was put in the dryer.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #10
TinkerBean
That Shucks

Thanks for all of the great ideas - off to try them out this morning. I will report back...

If anyone else has any other ideas - please share, as I doubt this will be the last time I will be dealing with this problem

Me DH DS 13 DD 10
Thanks Mazda
Hans Christian Anderson, David Byrne, Albert Einstein, Michelangelo, Thomas Jefferson, Alan Turing, Andy Warhol, Bill Gates, Temple Grandin [and DS Max] are all said to have had Aspergers’ Syndrome. (wikipedia, 2007)
read about the adventures of navigating the school system when you have a child with Asperger's...
Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Mommee
DIS Veteran

#4 of Sharpie's suggestions using hair spray instead of stain remover. DS came back from his dad's house with a huge sharpie swipe on the arm of his favorite sweatshirt. It sat there for 3 days before I got to it, but it ALL came out. I was his hero!

I hope you have as good of luck as I did
Mommee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Cloud9
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boymthr View Post
I have one suggestion, but it's a risky one.

There is a cleaning product called "Greased Lightning". It's really potent stuff, and will remove dried on paint from anything so it's not the best stuff to be using on clothes, but if all else fails this might do the trick.
Greased Lightning is not harmful to clothing - it is a multi-purpose cleaner & degreaser. On the front of the bottle it states that it can be used as laundry pretreater. I have used greased lightning as a laundry pretreater after the stain has sat for days and it takes everything out. This is the only pretreater that I have used for about 7 years now.
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
Familyof4lovesDW
DIS Veteran

I do not think rubbing alcohol will work. DD just did a project with her preschool class where they used sharpies and rubbing alcohol to make tyedyed t shirts. They put cups and rubberbands and colored on tio of the cup opening for the circle look. By placing the rubbing alcohol on the sharpie it made it spread. I guess if all else fails you can do that project and make the shirt like dd. Good luck getting it out. I hate it when I(mostly kids) have stains I cannot get out.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
TinkerBean
That Shucks

Thank you so much for all of your responses. I first tried the hairspray (lots and lots) with everytime I sprayed the stain it lifted out a little more - until it was *almost* gone. There was only a little shadow of it left. Then I switched over to rubbing alcohol, soaked it, dabbed it and then it was GONE! Really gone - I am super anal about this stuff and it. is. GONE!

Thanks again, they were dd's favourite shorts, not expensive or anything - just her favourites. She'll be thrilled...

Me DH DS 13 DD 10
Thanks Mazda
Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

the perfect topic... I had to keep a sharpie on me at all times at work. And it fell out of the cap and into the bottom of my pocket. There's a huge spot with a tail from pulling it out. I didn't have time to clean for a while now, but i knew i shouldn't have just thrown it into the washer.
I'm trying the alcohol method, it's working, but there's a lot of ink in that little spot. at least it's not spreading away from that spot.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: