Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How important is Disney theming when you rent off-site?
Very important - wouldn't consider a home without theming! 6 8.96%
Somewhat important - like the theming, but not a necessity. 18 26.87%
Not important at all - price is the bottom line. 36 53.73%
Other 7 10.45%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
4forMe
DIS Veteran

How important is Disney theming to you when renting off-site?

I love Disney theming when we rent offsite; however, I wouldn't rule out a house that didn't have any theming. I'm just more drawn to those homes that do have some sort of Disney theme (even if it's only one bedroom).

My DH could care less about Disney theming - the bottom line for him would be the price.

What about you - how important is Disney theming when you're looking to rent a home/condo offsite?
4forMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

I don't expect any Disney theming off-site, and don't even miss it onsite. Sure it's fun, but cost and quality of the lodging are much more important.
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
Pineapple Whip
Burning My Ears

I had to vote other because I don't care about Disney theming at the hotel, but price isn't the bottom line.

Growing up and into adulthood, I took Florida vacations. WDW, Sea World, and Universal were attractions to visit during the trip, not the entire point of the trip.

There was never a need to be submerged in anything 24/7, aside from my family spending time together. There is also so much to be missed offsite by just staying within the resort boundaries the entire time.

To me, going to Florida and spending the entire time inside WDW is like going to NYC and spending the entire time in Times Square. Anyone who thinks staying offsite is just about saving money is missing an awful lot.

DESPERADOS: Because laminated schedules have no place on a vacation.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2522331
Pineapple Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
pipervali
Mouseketeer

I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer a non-Disney theme when we're down in Orlando. I'm also not one for the total immersion though, so that's probably it. I look more for affordability and upperscale design and interior
Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
shalom
DIS Veteran

I voted "not important at all," although price is not the ultimate criteria for us. Price would be the highest criteria for hubby, but he's not the one who picks the resort. I look for the best price that includes what I want - space (we get at least a 2BR condo), good kitchen, quiet resort, nice view.

If we ever stay on-site, we'd most likely choose one of the Disney resorts that a lot of people think "aren't Disney" - the DVC units or the Grand Floridian, for example. I like a quiet resort, and by that I mean more than that people aren't noisy at night. A lot of the Disney resorts are "visually noisy" to me, so maybe I should have gone beyond "not important" and said "not wanted." I think a lot of the Disney resorts are gorgeous, but they're also stimulating. When I'm tired, I don't want Disney.
shalom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
jeff968
DIS Veteran

Disney is certainly fun but our #1 attraction for our trips to orlando is the Florida sunshine. We travel in February and after 3 months of winter there is nothing like relaxing by the pool side while it is snowing back home.

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

I don't have any expectations for Disney decor/themes when I am offsite. I would never expect that. If I want that, then I can book at one of the WDW resorts. IMO, it would be silly to book offsite and expect that.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Beccabunny
Mouseketeer

I fell into the Disney theming trap last year and booked a townhouse with a princess room. Now my daughter wants a princess room for next year's vacation. The townhouse was nice, but there are so many others we would consider with or without theming.
Beccabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
kidshop
DIS Veteran

I wanted the theming for the kids bedrooms...specifically my almost 4 y/o dd. It was hard to find, but I found a pink princess one and I don't think she will want to return home. For us and the older boys theming isn't a requirement, but it's fun and I like to have a bit of Mickey around. I did pass right by the houses that looked like the Golden Girls set! (though maybe that IS the theme )

There are some awesome houses with incredible theming but they are usually large 5-6 + bedroom houses and expensive...but so cool!
kidshop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

I voted not at all, but not because of price. It just doesn't matter to me. I'm much more concerned with a mix of price, amenities, etc.

Quote:
we'd most likely choose one of the Disney resorts that a lot of people think "aren't Disney" - the DVC units or the Grand Floridian, for example.
Our onsite stays have been OKW (3x) and VWL. Neither seemed to scream "Mickey Mouse", and we actually prefer that.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
3kidsfordis
Mouseketeer

I'm voting not at all. Although i haven't rented a home. I've rented condo/hotel rooms. What I want is:
1. a great pool and slide
2. easy commute to Disney/Seaworld and other attractions
3. nice, upscale furniture but not so nice as it is not family friendly!
4. a bedroom with a king.
5. Second bedroom with two queens
6. washer/dryer
7. kitchen
8. on-site restaurant-even bar/grill type is good!
3kidsfordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
leanne11
Always remember to use the net to store your loose items on the MIB ride

Wh th

i guess it depends on if you have small kids....this trip we wouldn't stay at a house without the themed room ... some mickey rooms are amazing..and it will help our 1 yr old not miss being on site...some rooms are way more decorated than say the POP. onsite.. ..but alooot of townhomes dont have 1 room at all decorated...we have the downstairs bedroom not themed for our niece and she seems to love the pix..were still gonna look at price but the theming rooms are a deal breaker for us

NEW PRINCE --SEPT /09
leanne11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
kathy884
DIS Veteran

I voted other. We don't care about Disney theming at all, but price alone is not our criteria. We look for high quality at a great value not just price and a big part of that is the quality of of the accomodations, ammenities offered and quality of ammenities, resort atphosphere, resort location, space, and comfort. I usually prefer a high quality timeshare condo resort over a villa. I have teens and don't want a Mickey room, a princess room, or a pirate room, etc. And I like to get away from the Disney 24/7 immersion. Don't get me wrong, we love their parks and resorts, but prefer to stay offsite (so many high quality great values) and do some other non Disney things too.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
northriver
DIS Veteran

We rented a fabulous condo last trip with very little Disney theming. The twin room was lightly themed with some framed Mickey line drawings and a stuffed Minnie & Mickey on each bed. My 5 yr old enjoyed the "theme" of her room. The rest of us appreciated the location, the upgraded furnishings, the spotlessly clean condo and fabulous service we received from the owner MUCH more than we would have appreciated a "themed" condo!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

I don't expect or need a Disney feel but it has to have a resort feel. We've never rented a house but always stay in the larger timeshare resorts.

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote