Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
SpaceAce
Mouseketeer

Disney resort - family of 5 - questions

Can someone tell me how Disney handles families of 5, rather than 4? Do they charge more? Are there rooms that you can't stay in?

When we go, our family would be me, my wife, and a 5, 7, and 1-year old.

Thanks,
Spaceace
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
juliemcalister
Mouseketeer

Until your youngest turns three, you are technically considered a family of four for room purposes. And since there are only two adults in your party, no additional room charges would apply.
juliemcalister is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Kimberly Hill
DIS Veteran

The assumption is your youngest will be in a crib so you qualify for a 4-person room.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
aceys_h0ney
DIS Veteran

Some of the deluxe resorts have a pull out in their regular rooms. Port Orleans Riverside is a moderate with a pull out trundle if your youngest won't sleep in a pack n play. There are tons of options for suites if you really want more space but they get pricey. Other then that you can stay anywhere since you are still considered a family of 4.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

All of the rooms at Disney resorts have a set occupency limit. Until your youngest is 3 years old you are still considered a family of 4, so you can stay anywhere you want. After your youngest is 3 years old you will have to stay at resort that can sleep 5 people. There is no extra charge unless you have more than 2 adults in the room. Then there is an additional charge, and the amount you pay for each additional adult depends on what level of resort you are staying at.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
SpaceAce
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone - which resorts hold 5?
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
tracisup
Traci

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAce View Post

Hi we just got back from The CR and we had 1 room with 2 queen beds. My kids are 5 4 and 2. My girls slept in one bed while me and hubby slept inthe other. The baby was in a mini crib. He ate for free off the buffets and off our plate other places. No charges in the resorts or parks for this age baby. Yay

Me --Traci DH - Adam DS - Andrew --22 DS - Adam --20 DD - Brooklyn --8 DD - Paris --7
DS - Maxwell --5

5/10 Contemporary Resort - After A Year Of Planning We Winged It! Our First Disney Vacation
9/10 Wilderness Lodge - We Just HAD To Go Back!
6/11 Wilderness Lodge - Our Magical Memories
9/10 Ten Year Anniversary - 3 day get-away (without the kids!!)
6/12 Contemporary Resort Tower
6/13 Contemporary Resort Tower

Last edited by tracisup; 06-18-2010 at 08:40 AM.
tracisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
angela152
Earning My Ears

We leave in 2 days for FL and soon will be in Disney!!! Driving from PA!!! Anyway we are a famiyl of 5.. me, my dh, ds 2, dd 4 and dd6... we are staying in P)FQ in 1 room. We debated 2 rooms, we debating the value suite... but we are biting the bullet, saving the money and just using a pack and play for our son. I've stayed at Old Key West once with 8 adults an 1 kid and it was great, but way more expensive. I've also stayed at the Fort Wilderness Cabins several times and they are great!!! But i don't think my kids are ready for bunk beds and again, saved the $$ by staying at POFQ. I have stayed at POR when it was dixie landings and it was great, hoping for the same thing at POFQ... plus with all the rumors of sometimes having a bus just for that resort, no other stops, i will take that chance. 1 double and 1 single stroller and getting all 3 kids on and off the bus, i'll book that hotel in an instant if there is a chance of just having 1 stop 1 time!! LOL
angela152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Any room on property (except king rooms) would hold your family of five since you have one under the age of three. For families with everyone over the age of three, there are these choices:

POR trundle room (holds 5, one should be a smaller child for the trundle)
All Star Suites (holds 6)
FW cabins (holds 6)
GF, Contemporary, BC/YC, Poly, Boardwalk - hold five with two queens and a daybed (not all rooms have daybeds)
deluxe rooms at WL (hold 6)
junior suites at CSR (hold up to 6)
some 1BR villas (king, pullout, sleeper chair - AKL Kidani and BLT, maybe more?) - some 1 BRs only sleep four
2 or 3 BR villas
some suites
two rooms at any resort

I might be forgetting a few!
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

StitchandPooh'sMom is correct.

Here are the options in order of price:

POR room with trundle (cheapest)
2 rooms at any Value Resort
Family Suite (ASMusic)
Cabin at FW
Contemporary
2 rooms at any Moderate Resort
Other Deluxes that allow 5
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracisup View Post
Hi we just got back from The CR and we had 1 room with 2 double beds. My kids are 5 4 and 2. My girls slept in one bed while me and hubby slept inthe other. The baby was in a mini crib. He ate for free off the buffets and off our plate other places. No charges in the resorts or parks for this age baby. Yay
The Contemporary Resort has queen sized beds, not double beds. The moderates have double beds except for Coronado Springs which also has queen sized beds. Value resorts have double beds. All deluxe resorts have queen sized beds, except for a few of the BC rooms which, unfortunately, have double beds.

Most of the deluxe resorts (except for Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge) have standard rooms that sleep five people - two queen sized beds and a day bed.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

The Contemporary also has some the largest standard rooms among the Deluxe Resorts, so they would be a great location for a family 5.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie

Quote:
Can someone tell me how Disney handles families of 5, rather than 4? Do they charge more? Are there rooms that you can't stay in?

When we go, our family would be me, my wife, and a 5, 7, and 1-year old.

Thanks,
Spaceace
Like previously mentioned, they don't start to count occupants of a room until they turn 3 years old. So, the one year old doesn't count just yet. Be thankful! You can stay at any WDW resort room. They do have cribs/pack and play available upon request. If possible, I would bring your own sheets and blanket. The sheet provided was very thin. It was cute with Mickey on it, but thin.

We are a family of five. We've stayed at the following resorts:

Port Orleans - Riverside (trundle bed for the fifth person)
Beach Club (day bed for the fifth person)
Fort Wilderness - Cabin (Murphy bed/wall pull-out bed for the fifth person)

"Most" Deluxe resorts have a day bed for a fifth person. The only resorts we came across a problem was at the Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge (like someone previously mentioned). For some reason, they won't let us book five people in a room. Has anyone stayed at any of these resorts? Do they have a day bed or couch in the room?????

We are now DVC members (AKV is our "home" ). So, staying in a two bedroom villa eliminates any future room occupancy problems. They also let us stay in a one bedroom villas sometimes because we have three children. I guess they assume all three kiddos can (and do) fit on the sofa bed.

With all our DVC days booked for this upcoming December, we have used all our DVC points for the year. So, we booked out of pocket the days around Christmas. DH found a great price (+ AAA discount) at the Dolphin. Can't beat the location! We can "legitimately" sleep the three kids in our room, we couldn't do that at the Swan. So, the Dolphin would be another option for a family with three children. I didn't know that.

Have a magical trip!

Jennifer
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 08/DLH (DLR), 10/DCL - Magic (Southern Caribbean); 11/AKV;2015: 01/AKV ~ WDW Marathon Weekend, 04/ABD - CA/GCH(DLR)

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 06-17-2010 at 12:20 PM.
TheTXTaylors5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTXTaylors5 View Post
Like previously mentioned, they don't start to count occupants of a room until they turn 3 years old. ...
Actually, they do count them if there is more than one child under the age of three. Only one child under three doesn't count towards occupancy.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Actually, they do count them if there is more than one child under the age of three. Only one child under three doesn't count towards occupancy.
Glad to know.

Jennifer
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 08/DLH (DLR), 10/DCL - Magic (Southern Caribbean); 11/AKV;2015: 01/AKV ~ WDW Marathon Weekend, 04/ABD - CA/GCH(DLR)

TheTXTaylors5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: