Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
frannn
please stop the madnesssss already & tag me
From the TF...someone pls call 911 for Frann, she held her breath until I tagged her and she apparently turned blue and fell down. :)

How much of a tax deduction per bag of clothes donated to charity?

I have a bunch of large lawn sized trash bags filled with used children's clothes I wish to donate. I can either give them to my SIL (who works in a school and can give away), or call an agency like Big Brother/Big Sister, and ask them to bring some receipt type slips. Of course, it would be quicker & easier to give to SIL. How much of a deduction do they usually give you for each bag of clothes? The stuff is close to new, and includes some designer stuff. I seem to remember getting a preprinted slip with the deduction amount in the past, but that was a long time ago. Is it worthwhile? Its getting donated either way.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

It's per item, not per bag, so to itemize you'd need to go through and itemize each thing. Should be able to find a chart by googling.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
jlima
Beep Beep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frannn View Post
I have a bunch of large lawn sized trash bags filled with used children's clothes I wish to donate. I can either give them to my SIL (who works in a school and can give away), or call an agency like Big Brother/Big Sister, and ask them to bring some receipt type slips. Of course, it would be quicker & easier to give to SIL. How much of a deduction do they usually give you for each bag of clothes? The stuff is close to new, and includes some designer stuff. I seem to remember getting a preprinted slip with the deduction amount in the past, but that was a long time ago. Is it worthwhile? Its getting donated either way.
The tax deductible value is the resale/thrift store value. It doesn't matter what you paid for it; if it's new with tags or old and worn - you can deduct the resale value only. And it's per item, not per bag of clothing. I would go to a thrift store and make a brief pass and write down what items sell for. Then count or estimate how many pieces you have and do the math, and that's what you can deduct.

Good luck!

Port Orleans Nov 91 (Honeymoon!) • Dolphin Nov 99 • Dolphin & 7 day Magic cruise July 01 • HRH & Poly June 04 • HRH May 05 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 05 • HRH Sept 06 • Wilderness Lodge July 07 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 08 • HRH & Coronado Springs Dec 08 • HRH, Wilderness Lodge & 6 day Christmas Magic Cruise '11 • DL AP holder since 1989!!
jlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
dunningdisney
Mouseketeer

taxact.com and turbotax have a calculator to itemize each item--it gives you a price we used it this year and it was great had a nice itemized receipt with pricing you do not need to file with them to use this feature
dunningdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
sameyeyam
Cancer didn't take my life, it made me live it!

Here is the page from the IRS website. Just click on the Used Clothing, under "Valuation of Various Kinds of property". http://www.irs.gov/publications/p561/ix01.html It must be in good or better condition. Basically they say "whatever the thrift or consignment shop value woud be".

I take deductions on my tax return every year and basically I figure $5 for each pair of pants, $3 for each shirt, maybe $1-$2 for each piece of infant/small child clothing, $2 for shoes, $5 for coats, etc. I usually give to Goodwill and they give a blank receipt. I then write my info. on that for my records...example 10 pairs of pants x $5 = $50. So I have detail in case of an audit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: