Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
coelacanth77
Earning My Ears

Between SSR & Kidani, which is best for down time?

The wife and two kids ages 7 & 8 will be in Disney the weekend after Thanksgiving and then the week after that and will have at least 3 days of leisure time to enjoy resort. With this information which resort do you feel offers the overall best experience for a small family with two young kids and why? Thanks,
coelacanth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Kelsey In Wonderland
It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.

I have stayed in SSR, not Kidani but I will say that one plus for staying in SSR for downtime is DTD right across the water. It is a short walk from SSR's Congress Park and was a huge plus when my mom and I stayed there last June. The grounds are quite vast and there are a couple of pools as well. It really has a relaxing, quiet atmosphere. While I think Kidani would probably have a more interesting and kid friendly atmosphere, but the promiximty of DTD to SSR is a huge bonus that is something to consider.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
seelyt2
Mouseketeer

We will be there that same time

Last summer we stayed at SSR and:
PROS - we absolutely loved the room and the close proximity to DTD. Room was large - we had a private bedroom and the kids shared the pull out in the living room. Whirlpool bath was nice with separate commode. The boat rides were nice and relaxing, and the kids loved the pool. Wasn't too crazy about the poo in it two times, but I digress...
CONS - everything was too spread out. Our room was far away from the bus stop (stayed in the Springs), and even being "near" the main pool, it still was a hike to get to anything near the hub of the place, including the Artist's Palate, Community Hall, store, etc., and the Springs really wasn't that far away on the map! I'll admit I was totally exhausted and hot, but it really seemed like a long way at the time. I've heard this from many people, though.

This time we're staying at the Kidani (first time). I'm told, too, that the resort is HUGE (spans 1/2 mile, I think? Correct me if I'm wrong). We'll ask to stay near the elevator. Even if we don't get what we ask, I figure we'll be inside so it won't be as bad as our walk at SSR. We stayed at the Jambo House 4 years ago and absolutely loved it. Loved the room, plenty of things for the kids to do (who doesn't like watching the animals! - note: if you go here - check out the animals at night with the night vision goggles - totally cool!) the pool is great, they can go to the lobby and watch cartoons and I feel safe because it's attached and there's no vehicles, etc. (my oldest is 13 and loves to wander to the lobby and we catch up). Everything is under one roof, and I like that. I'm just that way.

Cons: - I'm guessing just the size if you're out on one of the wings. But that doesn't bother some people.

Both are great, really.

seelyt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
disney pro
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at AKL Jambo several times, and have visited Kidani, and I think that with two small kids that Kidani would be a good place for down time. There are all sorts of things for the kids to do and the pool play area is very nice, plus there are the animals you can watch from different locations, and you can walk or hop on a bus to Jambo house and explore and do the kids activities and use the pool there as well. Plus they have night vision goggles to watch the animals at night--way cool.

AKL is very laid back and tranquil the CM's are awesome.

AKL is my very favorite resort because it is like going to Africa with out leaving the country.

2011 ASSP
2010 AKL CL, Poly TPV CL
2009 - ASMU, POLY CL, AKL CL
2008 - WL
2006 - pop
2005 - ASSP
2004 - Pop, POR
2003 - Pop, AKL
2002 - WL
2001 - AKL
94 - 2000 - All Stars
70's - 93 - off site
disney pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
seelyt2
Mouseketeer

Oh, forgot to mention - Kidani has a fire pit with chairs around it at night. It's very homey. I hear they are limited on the counter service meals, etc. Doesn't impact us since I'll be cooking, though.

seelyt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
coelacanth77
Earning My Ears

Wow! Great tips.... we are thinking about splitting.....

up the vacation between both. My home resort is SSR and will have to request Kidani for the 2nd half... I hope we get it Does anyone know how likely it is to get a 1 bedroom Savanna view at Kidani 7 months out the week after Thanksgiving? Thanks,
coelacanth77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
akl, kidani, resort, ssr, thanksgiving

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: