Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 03:38 AM   #121
lady_bug_888
Mouseketeer

I'm saving my miles for our trip this August. I almost have enough for the 2 adult and 1 child 5 day base ticket (will pay for the upgrade to 10 day PH + WP when there). I am hoping to save enough on top of that to get my universal tickets. My family can't believer how many AM I have but of course I keep my pantry stocked, buy things that have extra bonus AM and use coupons.

Today I spent just over $100 at Safeway and I got 345 AM. I live 1 1/2 hours from the nearest Safeway but I still make at LEAST one monthly trip to Safeway. It is a rare trip that I don't get at least 250 AM in a grocery trip. I am currently visiting family who live in a city with a Safeway so I will be going shopping again at least once before I leave...I'm sure I'll rack up close to 1000 AM this trip! I'll post my tally at the end of the weekend.

A few more trips like this and all my tickets will be paid for.

212 days until our 1st family vacation to WDW!!!
lady_bug_888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #122
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Can you use your safeway card and airmiles card at the same time? I did and never got credit for my air miles.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #123
i12go2wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug_888 View Post
I'm saving my miles for our trip this August. I almost have enough for the 2 adult and 1 child 5 day base ticket (will pay for the upgrade to 10 day PH + WP when there). I am hoping to save enough on top of that to get my universal tickets. My family can't believer how many AM I have but of course I keep my pantry stocked, buy things that have extra bonus AM and use coupons.

Today I spent just over $100 at Safeway and I got 345 AM. I live 1 1/2 hours from the nearest Safeway but I still make at LEAST one monthly trip to Safeway. It is a rare trip that I don't get at least 250 AM in a grocery trip. I am currently visiting family who live in a city with a Safeway so I will be going shopping again at least once before I leave...I'm sure I'll rack up close to 1000 AM this trip! I'll post my tally at the end of the weekend.

A few more trips like this and all my tickets will be paid for.

212 days until our 1st family vacation to WDW!!!
The last time checked the difference between the 3 and 7 day base tickets on the Airmiles site was just 25 points each, it is not much money to upgrade that many days either but if you have the spare points you may want to look at it.
I wish we were going this Aug, I have a whole year longer than that to wait, oh well, more time to save points!!

DL 9/88, DL 9/91, Dolphin 10/97, FW Cabin 10/01, Off Site 4/03, POFQ 5/05, DL 9/05, DL 10/06, CBR 2/07, DL 8/07, ASMU FamSuite 10/08, ASMU Famsuite 8/09, ASMO 8/10
DCL- 4day 2001, 7day 2003, Westbound repo 2005, B2B 7day Magic Oct. 2008

Etsy Shop http://doodadswithcharacter.etsy.com
i12go2wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #124
ado121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i12go2wdw View Post
My husband and I each have at home businesses and we average about 7000 a year without trying, just using the BMO airmiles mastercard, I am really going to watch all the bonus oppertunites and see how close we can come. I agree I am probably not going to make it, it would be about 1000 a month, but I am really going to try!!
you can do it! its 1111 a month. thats easy. first 3 weeks of january and im allready at 2400. you can do it!
ado121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #125
SaskDisNut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Can you use your safeway card and airmiles card at the same time? I did and never got credit for my air miles.
Do you mean the Safeway Club Card? Yes they do work together, however I think they take the discounts off for the club card before the airmiles are calculated. Our Safeway has the number of airmiles earned right on the receipt now. I assumed that all Safeways did this.
May 2007 - WDW - Pop Century
Dec 2008 - WDW - Pop/CSR
Jan 2009 - WDW - Beach Club - IBM Lotusphere 2009
Oct 2009 - WDW - CSR & Free Dining!!
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - HOJO Anaheim
Feb 2012 - Disney Wonder - Mexican Riviera Cruise

Check out my --> CSR Review 10/3/2009 - 10/11/2009
SaskDisNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #126
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
I hate to be a wet blanket but I don't think you could earn 20,000 in that time frame. Maybe 10,000.
I can easily get 14,000 -20,000 in a year. Piece of cake.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #127
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Of course you use them together. They are not connected. Safeway card is for the discounts and the airmiles card is for... well airmiles.

I use them together weekly for the last decade.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #128
Zife
Mouseketeer

I was all excited when I moved from Ontario to Newfoundland, because Sobey's offers AirMiles, whereas the only grocery store that does in Ontario is A&P (now Metro) who was always a lot more expensive than everyone else. Now I read this thread and hear about Safeway out West, and I'm depressed... Oh well, I'm happy with the AirMiles I'm getting now compared to last year.
I have enough for 1 flight from St. John's to MCO, hoping to get enough for 2 soon. Unless I change my mind and get something else with them.

Jan 2014? - Walt Disney World Marathon
Aug 2013 - California/D23/Disneyland Adventure
Sept/Oct 2011 - AKL, DxDP/GF, Platinum/Off World
Dec 2009 - AKL, DxDP
Feb 2008 - Off World/AKL/POFQ/Off World
May 1998 - Off World
Zife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #129
i12go2wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ado121 View Post
you can do it! its 1111 a month. thats easy. first 3 weeks of january and im allready at 2400. you can do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, in the past 5 days we have earned 1200 points, 400 of that was upgrading our American Express cards to platinum (350 to upgrade and 25 for each additional card, we got 2). This card gets you 1 point for each $10 at sponsers and 1 for $15 everywhere else and has half the annual cost of the BMO mastercard.
The 1200 plus the 741 we didn't use on gift cards for Christmas gift and we almost have enough for one 7 day Disney pass.
I am hopeful and my husband is really excited and helpful too which makes it a lot more fun!!

DL 9/88, DL 9/91, Dolphin 10/97, FW Cabin 10/01, Off Site 4/03, POFQ 5/05, DL 9/05, DL 10/06, CBR 2/07, DL 8/07, ASMU FamSuite 10/08, ASMU Famsuite 8/09, ASMO 8/10
DCL- 4day 2001, 7day 2003, Westbound repo 2005, B2B 7day Magic Oct. 2008

Etsy Shop http://doodadswithcharacter.etsy.com
i12go2wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #130
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Of course you use them together. They are not connected. Safeway card is for the discounts and the airmiles card is for... well airmiles.

I use them together weekly for the last decade.
Well then I guess I had better contact Air Miles. The transaction was early December for about 150 AM and I never got them. I did get my Safeway card discount.

Also, the air miles never showed up on my receipt, only the safeway discount. I wonder if when the clerk ran the AM card through, it never went through.

Since I was just visiting and don't use Safeway, I have no idea of how their system works as compared to the systems here in Ontario.

Thanks!
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #131
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
I'm curious to know where you live and how you earn that many in a year?

dancin Disney style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #132
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
I'm curious to know where you live and how you earn that many in a year?

Winnipeg

-using the BMO Mosiac mastercard 1 for every $15
-shopping at Safeway especially with all the extreme airmile specials
-filling up at Shell and using coupons

Lots of ways. Just read through this thread.

However it's much easier for Westerners with Safeways around to collect then those out East.

I spent $220 at Safeway last week and got 226 Airmiles. By putting it on my BMO mastercard I got another 14.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #133
dancin Disney style

Quote:
Winnipeg

-using the BMO Mosiac mastercard 1 for every $15
-shopping at Safeway especially with all the extreme airmile specials
-filling up at Shell and using coupons

Lots of ways. Just read through this thread.

However it's much easier for Westerners with Safeways around to collect then those out East.

I spent $220 at Safeway last week and got 226 Airmiles. By putting it on my BMO mastercard I got another 14.
I knew you were going to say you were west. I'm in Ontario and here it's not that easy to collect. I've been with AM since '93 and have been an avid collector. I have the platinum Amex and also a BMO mastercard. I put everything on the cards that I can. I even get to use my Amex for my daughters competitive dance...that alone is about $10K per year. I mainly shop at Metro...and pay higher prices just to collect miles. I only get gas at Shell...I could go on and on. I make my family crazy with questions about where they will be going and making sure they know what stores offer AM. I will even talk people into things like booking their trips at Marlin and using my Amex so that I get the miles. Even with all that, and more, I only collect about 4000 per year.

It kind of irks me that we don't get the same type of Safeway promos here. Recently, we had a some what decent offer at Shell. The 10X promo.....I earned an extra 150 miles on my gas for the month of December and will get a 50 mile bonus added to my account.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #134
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

I hear the same complaints from Easterners on another (non-Disney board). Wonder if you could question Sobey's head office about doing more extreme airmiles? Just curious what their answer would be.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #135
dancin Disney style

Quote:
I hear the same complaints from Easterners on another (non-Disney board). Wonder if you could question Sobey's head office about doing more extreme airmiles? Just curious what their answer would be.
I've thought about doing that a few times. Funny, I don't like our local Sobey's all that much so I don't know if I would shop there. On second thought....if I was going to be able to earn 200-300 miles a week on groceries I would. Heck, I got a whopping 42 airmiles on my purchase this morning at Metro and that was the mega miles promo.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: