Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #256
maxie
Thanks so much for the tips
We are getting a Disney fix of some kind!!

Which airline? Can you just pay the cancellation fee or change fee to the airline and get a voucher for use another time?
maxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #257
Stan Solo
I don't know what to put here. Tag fairies can you help me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxie View Post
Which airline? Can you just pay the cancellation fee or change fee to the airline and get a voucher for use another time?
It's with United. I called them and they told me the same thing that Airmiles did. Only my DW and DD(14) would be able to use the voucher because of 9/11. I had no idea that if I used my wife's ticket a year from now it would make try a take over control of the plane and fly it into the White House.

They would have given me a refund with a penalty but because I booked threw AM they could not help me.

Uh...had a slight weapons malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here...now...thank you. How are you? *wince*
Stan Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #258
Mickey&JoshNut
It's not nice to distract the cute lifeguards

just keep swimming... just keep swimming.... Dory....
now I

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxie View Post
Kiki - I would assume they would be at Customer Service like usual. Remember the flyer ends tomorrow. Phone or check online to see if it's in the Friday flyer. Hope it continues for a while!!

Mickey&JoshNut - check out the Airmiles Facebook page or the Airmiles forum for all the buzz about the discontinued gift cards. Air Miles has chosen to only offer gift cards from sponsers that give out air miles. So no more chapter gcs. Lots of people are up in arms. Personally I don't care as I only use mine for travel - flights, WDW pass, etc.
Thanks for the info...was unaware of the change....I used my airmiles for Chapters, The Keg & Swiss Chalet (Cara Foods)...bummer that none of these are available...

04/12 Disney Wonder 15 Night Hawaii Cruise 03/12 - Disney Fantasy - Maiden Voyage 09/11 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
05/11 - Disney Wonder - 1st Alaska 7 Night Cruise 04/11 - Disney Wonder Repo LA to Vancouver 04/11 - DL - Disneyland Hotel
02/11 - WDW - POP Century 01/11 - Disney Dream - Maiden Voyage 01/11 - WDW - POP Century 09/10 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
03/10 - WDW - POP Century - Elaine's Birthday Trip 12/09 - WDW - POP Century 09/09 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"

08/09 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter "Mom's Birthday Trip" 05/09 - WDW - POP Century 03/09 - WDW - POP Century
02/09-Disney Magic-Birthday Cruise
02/09-WDW-POP Century 09/08-WDW-POP Century 09/08-Disney Magic-Special 5 Night
08/08 - WDW - POP Century
12/07 - WDW - POR 09/07 - WDW - POP Century 05/07 - WDW - POP Century
Rang in 2007 onboard the Disney WONDER 12/06 - WDW - offsite (MH) 11/06 - WDW - Coronado Springs
09/06 - Disney Wonder - 11 Day Southern Caribbean 03/06 - Disney Magic - 7 Day Western Caribbean 03/06 - WDW - offsite (MH)
10/05 - WDW - offsite (MH)
05/05 - DL - Grand Californian 05/05 - Disney Magic - Maiden Panama Canal Crossing
12/04 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 11/04 - Disney Wonder - 4 day 10/01 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
09/00 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 09/99 - WDW - Caribbean Beach 06/98 - WDW - offsite
Mickey&JoshNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #259
Jozymouse
Disney Character Fanatic

I LOVE airmiles and ALWAYS use them on "vacation related things". For our August WDW trip that just ended (sadly!!), we bought 2, 3 day Universal Orlando tickets. Last year, when we went to Disneyland, we bought Legoland tickets and the year before Universal Orlando tickets and Canada's Wonderland tickets. With the 2 airmiles credit card, booking trips on expedia and having the airmiles yahoo toolbar, it goes pretty fast!
First trip to WDW in 1981, then..1983, 1986, 1988, 1989 (DLR), 1990, 1991, 1992 (WDW & DLR), 1993, 1994 (DLR), 1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, Feb-Oct-Dec 2007, Feb 2008, Aug 2008 (DLR), July 2009, Oct 2009, Jan 2010 (DLR), March 2010, Sept 2010, Feb 2011,Aug 2011, May 2012 & Dec 2012, March 2014 (DLP), May 2014 SWW!
Jozymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #260
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Stan Solo,

Were you able to get your cancelled flight/AM issue worked out?
That is ridiculous and a lot of AM to lose out on.
Please keep us updated.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #261
Stan Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi Mouse View Post
Stan Solo,

Were you able to get your cancelled flight/AM issue worked out?
That is ridiculous and a lot of AM to lose out on.
Please keep us updated.
After calling AM and United Airlines on several occasions I kept getting the same answer that only the same people that are canceling the flight can rebook. In other words my wife and DD14 are canceling so only my wife and DD14 can rebook. My DD16 and I can not use the tickets for a future flight.

It made no sense to me that I can fly to Orlando in 2011 but in 2012 if they change Stan Solos wife and my DD14 names on the tickets to Stan Solo and my DD16 it's a security risk.

I never did cancel the tickets because they were not willing to give me anything for them. Not the Airmiles, not the insurance fee I paid, not the taxes, not the fuel charge, NOTHING! When my wife and DD14 never showed up for the four flights UA sold three of them to people flying stand by. In the end I lost 8800 Airmiles plus all the crazy fees and taxes they throw on top of the "free" tickets.

My DD16 and I went without them and had the time of our lives! The trip could not have been any better! Everyone on the entire trip was so friendly except for the UA employee that we had to deal with in Winnipeg I think she hated her job and her life. In Orlando on the way home the UA employee asked if my wife and DD were going to make the flight. When I told her what happened she upgraded us to business class. Finely someone who showed some hart.

My DD and I already booked our second trip for next year! If I can raise the Airmiles...

Uh...had a slight weapons malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here...now...thank you. How are you? *wince*
Old 09-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #262
Stan Solo

Now that I wasted a bunch of Airmiles on a flight that didn't happen I'm saving for our next trip.

Anybody know can I use Airmiles to go from Winnipeg to Chicago and then buy tickets from somewhere else i.e. Hot tickets.com to get from Chicago to Orlando?

Will I have issues with my luggage? Can I have my check in luggage go to Orlando without me having to claim them in Chicago then bring it to the Chicago checkin counter.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #263
cab0899
Mouseketeer

I did do this years ago. I only had enough airmiles for two family members (wpg-Orland0) and not for the other two. I booked airmiles flight from Wpg to Minneapolis with NorthWest and then bought flights from Minneapolis to Wpg. We never had to go get luggage but we had to get the second boarding pass printed out in Minneapolis, never left the secured area. But this was a few years back.

BTW, the Ness avenue Safeway is still having the extreme airmiles special if you're looking to build up your airmiles. We've being getting about 500 a week with the groceries.
cab0899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #264
Stan Solo

Thanks cab0899 I'll have to give AM a call to find out if that is still possible with all the new FAA rules. Also, Thanks for the tip about the Ness Safeway. We do all of our shopping at Safeway mostly at the Portage Ave one but it would be worth the short trip to head out to Ness.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #265
Cooljoe
Earning My Ears

sucks bout the certificates. We use them all the time. Gonna use ours for a DL trip for the first time. Should be fun!
Cooljoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #266
cari12
DIS Veteran

It's not just the gift certificates that have disappeared. There are a lot less rewards in every category and the ones that remain are at higher miles than before. Even the Disney park passes are only valid until Dec 2011.
Should we be concerned about the future of Airmiles or do you think they are going to roll out a bunch of new rewards soon?
cari12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #267
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cari12 View Post
It's not just the gift certificates that have disappeared. There are a lot less rewards in every category and the ones that remain are at higher miles than before. Even the Disney park passes are only valid until Dec 2011.
Should we be concerned about the future of Airmiles or do you think they are going to roll out a bunch of new rewards soon?
There is a lot of talk on the Airmiles FB page about the giftcards. They have stated that they are only putting rewards of gift cards of sponsers of Airmiles. Makes sense to me.

As for the Disney passes - where do you see them being valid only until December? I checked the AM website and they do not have any limitations on them. I have ordered the passes from AM several times and they don't expire until you use them.

By the way they are having a special on both WDW and DL passes at AM - get 7 days for the cost of 5.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #268
cari12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
There is a lot of talk on the Airmiles FB page about the giftcards. They have stated that they are only putting rewards of gift cards of sponsers of Airmiles. Makes sense to me.

As for the Disney passes - where do you see them being valid only until December? I checked the AM website and they do not have any limitations on them. I have ordered the passes from AM several times and they don't expire until you use them.

By the way they are having a special on both WDW and DL passes at AM - get 7 days for the cost of 5.
Makes sense about only carrying cards from sponsors but they have taken a bunch away that weren't sponsors but haven't added any new "sponsor" cards.

The DL passes say Oct 1-Dec31/11.
cari12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #269
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Oh right. Yes I have seem expiry dates on DL passes in the past. They are always available at Airmiles. Doens\t mean AM is going under. I had forgotten about that.

I only use my AMs for travel - attraction passes, flights, Marlin travel, vacation packages - so I haven't paid much attention to the disappearing gift cards. Just seen all the comments on the FB page.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #270
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

DH and I just cashed in most of our airmiles. We used them to get Via Rail gift cards. We redeemed most of the gift cards for 2 round trip Via 1 tickets to Toronto and 2 round trip Via 1 tickets to Montreal. The 'free' trip to Toronto was a huge bonus--we saw Paul Gross and Kim Cattrall in Private Lives at the Royal Alex.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: