Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #91
mandibc11
Living in Wonderland, married to the Mad Hatter, with everything as it SHOULD be.

"Second Breakfast" - Electric Umbrella

With my one bite of dough hours earlier, I was ravenous at 10:30 after a morning of running ahead of people to beat the lines. I knew we were going to have to grab a little something to keep me going before our lunch reservations at 1:30.

When I get hungry I tend to panic if food is not readily available. I get grouchy and desperate…does this happen to anyone else? I couldn’t even wait for the Yorkshire County Fish Shop to open at 11:30, I had to get something in my belly right that moment!

As soon as everything opened for lunch (right around 11 it seemed), we had finished riding Soarin’ and were in The Land. I took a peek at what Sunshine Seasons had to offer…but it was nothing I wanted at that moment. Like I mentioned previously, what I needed was a bit of grease. It doesn’t happen often, so when it does I answer the call!

We headed straight for Electric Umbrella, because I knew they would have what my tummy sought. Who knew so many people would be lined up right at opening time! We had to wait a bit, because the kitchen was still making their first batch of food and trying to accommodate the hungry masses.

We were rewarded for our wait though! The fries were hot and delicious – exactly what I needed. And while YES, the UK would have been much better quality, these did the job and still tasted great on an empty stomach. Plus, we were able to use a snack credit for them!
mandibc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #92
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

loving you review so far!
tyandskyesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #93
Illuminations_Rocks
The tan towels from HSN are also like crack

Great reviews so far!

I had to do a double-take, because you and your DH have the same names as me and mine! We also stayed at BW on our last trip, but in a villa since we're DVC.
Oct 1991 offsite Easter 1999 ASMu Aug 2006 POFQ Jan 2007 OKW Sept 2008 BC Disneymoon! Aug 2009 BWV Jan 2011 OKW Nov 2011 SSR/OKW Dec 2012 BCV April 2013 offsite Sept 2013 BWV for our 5 year anniversary!
DLR - several day trips in 2007, overnights Aug 23-25 '07 at DLH (got engaged!), Nov 15-17 '07 at HoJo's ... BLT owners!
Illuminations_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #94
mandibc11
Living in Wonderland, married to the Mad Hatter, with everything as it SHOULD be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminations_Rocks View Post
Great reviews so far!

I had to do a double-take, because you and your DH have the same names as me and mine! We also stayed at BW on our last trip, but in a villa since we're DVC.
We were in a Villa, as well!! We were renting points...but either way, very odd coincidence!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #95
mandibc11

Tokyo Dining - Japan

After meandering around half the “world” for a few hours, we were ready for lunch. There’s nowhere else but Disney that you can shop in Norway before your lunch in Japan!

After having a little fun, we arrived right on time, and there were plenty of tables available. They sat us in a great location, where we could view the lagoon and people watch. The hostess let us know the manager would be out to speak with me shortly, and then bowed when leaving. They do a great job in this particular country incorporating native traditions.

Turned out they had a separate menu for vegetarians, so with only a few modifications (some of the sauces had dairy or egg in them) I was able to order with ease! Jeremy was a little bummed that the rolls were not on the Deluxe Dining Plan, but was appeased when he found out the combination entrée included some sushi. We ordered shortly after.

Appetizers came out quickly. Jeremy had ordered the Ultimate Unagi. It was an Eel roll, and even though it only came with three pieces, they were pretty large and it turned out to be a good portion for an appetizer.

I ordered the Edamame, which was served traditional Japanese style – cold. There also wasn’t any sea salt on it, which is most common in Japanese restaurants in the US. I liked it better this way – there’s already enough sodium in the LOW sodium Soy sauce!

When our entrees arrived, I was really impressed by the presentation and amount of everything we ordered. Jeremy got the Deluxe Sushi Combination that included Yellowtail, Salmon, Isumi-dat, Shrimp, Conch, Squid, Egg omelet, Salmon roe, and 3 pieces of Tuna roll. He was a big fan of it all!

I ordered the Vegetable Sushi Combination with Tempura Veggies. The Vegetable roll contained Shiitake mushrooms, Avocado and Cucumber. It also came with a side of Seaweed salad. While the tempura was much too greasy (I had my fill already for the day!), the roll was phenomenal. They did a great job combining textures and having a little crunch, mixed with the firmness of the mushroom and soft Avocado. I also really loved the Seaweed salad! Jeremy tried it and thought it was just ok, but I would definitely order it again.

After this, dessert came even though we were very full! He ordered Soft Serve Ice Cream - which he loved, of course. I was only able to get Orange Slices. They were good...just orange slices. I failed to take photos of these, but they were bland and boring to look at, anyway.

Our Out of Pocket total would have been $81.80 before tip. We had a great experience here and will be back when we’re in Epcot again. This is probably a restaurant we won’t be skipping on any trips!

Last edited by mandibc11; 06-05-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #96
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more
WISHing my way to success!
I'm lost again - What's new
DIS WAAAP -The smack on the head when you've been DIS'ing too long

Wow - your out of pocket was still $81 on the DDXP? yowza.

I love sushi and I crave seaweed salad and veggie rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/8/14-8/23/14 -14 nts POP
MelanieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #97
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer

Just so you know - YES, I get super grouchy when I am hungry! If I've been going without food in my belly for too long, no one can stand being near me. People always rush to get me something to eat because it will make them happier once I've been fed. I feel so bad for everyone around me when I'm hungry.

Wow, that was quite an expensive meal. I love sushi, and I love seaweed salad. I know a vegan married couple that just dined at Tokyo Dining and they loved it, though I think they said the same thing about the tempura! I love seaweed salad too...mmm...your dinner looked so delicious.
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Vegcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:00 AM   #98
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying your reviews. We really like Tokyo Dining, but DH normally just orders the veggie tempura on the normal menu as I never realised they had a seperate vegetarian menu. Did you just ask for it and how many options did it have on it?

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Sept 2007 - POFQ/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2008 - AKL/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2009 - SSR/BWI/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2011 - BC/Royal Pacific/CR
Sept 2012 - BC/Royal Pacific
May 2013 - WL/Royal pacific
Sept 2013 - Royal Pacific
iluvpluto27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #99
eeyore81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieC View Post
I think what she means is had she not had the dining plan the meal would have cost $81.

Loving the reviews.....keep them coming.
eeyore81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #100
LuccaDrake
DIS Veteran

Loving the reviews so far. It's interesting to see what Disney can come up with when you have food restrictions. Keep em' coming!

~Beka~

1983-1994 - Offsite (Dave as child)
1997 - Offsite (Beka as teenager)
2006 - POP
2007 - ASMu
2008 - CSR
2010 - POFQ
2012 - CSR
2013 - POP
2013 - CSR in December
LuccaDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #101
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more
WISHing my way to success!
I'm lost again - What's new
DIS WAAAP -The smack on the head when you've been DIS'ing too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore81 View Post
I think what she means is had she not had the dining plan the meal would have cost $81.

Ok - that makes more sense, lol. I know when we had the regular dining plan (free dining) last August it still amazed me how much we had on our charge account in tips with just one sit down a day, lol.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention. My mom and I both suffer from low blood sugar and if we get hungry and don't get fed right away.........it's downright ugly. I become someone that I'm not and will snap and yell for no good reason. It's almost like a chemical imbalance when that happens. I can feel it happening and my whole body just feels off, and sort of shaky and fuzzy. Then if anyone says anything to me that upsets me in any way it's as if it sends a rush of adrenalin through my body that just makes any rational part of me dissapear. My mom's husband knows to feed her when she says I need to eat. My husband after 23 years of marriage (well 23 in a few days), still doesn't get it and then doesn't understand what happened afterwards.

I was worried about going vegetarian originally and it's what stopped me for a long time because I thought protein was what kept my blood sugar even. Turns out, I have felt so much better and it happens far less often once I turned vegetarian and now vegan. So either, plant based proteins keep my blood sugar more even or it was the meat type protein that would cause the biggest crash. Strange huh!
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/8/14-8/23/14 -14 nts POP
MelanieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #102
mandibc11

Quote:

I love sushi and I crave seaweed salad and veggie rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha I'm so sorry for confusing everyone! I went ahead and changed it on the review to say WOULD HAVE BEEN, before tip! Yeah, if we paid that above and beyond our Deluxe Dining we really need to seek counseling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegcentric View Post
Just so you know - YES, I get super grouchy when I am hungry! If I've been going without food in my belly for too long, no one can stand being near me. People always rush to get me something to eat because it will make them happier once I've been fed. I feel so bad for everyone around me when I'm hungry.

Wow, that was quite an expensive meal. I love sushi, and I love seaweed salad. I know a vegan married couple that just dined at Tokyo Dining and they loved it, though I think they said the same thing about the tempura! I love seaweed salad too...mmm...your dinner looked so delicious.
I never know if it's because I love to eat so much that I'm upset I've missed an opportunity, or if there's something a bit more chemical going on! Probably a little bit of both, but either way...no one likes me either when I have an empty stomach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpluto27 View Post
Really enjoying your reviews. We really like Tokyo Dining, but DH normally just orders the veggie tempura on the normal menu as I never realised they had a seperate vegetarian menu. Did you just ask for it and how many options did it have on it?
When the hostess noted that I had Allergies she had the manager come to speak with me. The manager gave me the menu, but its available to everyone if you just ask your server. There was a stack of them behind the hostess stand. There wasn't a lot to the menu, maybe two apps and three entrees to choose from, but what they offered was fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore81 View Post

Thanks for clearing it up for me!! I'm glad you're liking the reviews!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuccaDrake View Post
Loving the reviews so far. It's interesting to see what Disney can come up with when you have food restrictions. Keep em' coming!

~Beka~
Thanks! Yeah, Disney does an amazing job! I've had a hard time since coming back to Nashville...they just don't understand why they need to accommodate me! haha
Old 06-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #103
mandibc11

Quote:
Ok - that makes more sense, lol. I know when we had the regular dining plan (free dining) last August it still amazed me how much we had on our charge account in tips with just one sit down a day, lol.
Yeah, we noticed that too but had come prepared that we would be spending a certain amount for tips. Even with that though, after we got home and added everything up (just for the fun of it) we still saved hundreds by doing the Deluxe plan! I wouldn't do anything but that from now on!

Quote:
I was worried about going vegetarian originally and it's what stopped me for a long time because I thought protein was what kept my blood sugar even. Turns out, I have felt so much better and it happens far less often once I turned vegetarian and now vegan. So either, plant based proteins keep my blood sugar more even or it was the meat type protein that would cause the biggest crash. Strange huh!
For me, I think it's that I've eaten so many more fibrous foods since going Vegan. I'm full for a longer period of time, so I just don't have to worry and think about it as much. What happened this particular day is that I hadn't eaten anything, and the bites I did eat were just simple sugars!

I was actually shocked when I started doing research on a plant based diet - you don't have to have near the amount of protein my former fitness trainer was trying to get me to eat! I'm talking...80 grams a day, and I weight less than 100 pounds! That's just overkill. I was happy to learn I didn't have to stuff my face with that many grams of beans and leafy greens!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #104
Cat0727
I am used to crowds and yielding to others all the time

Hey Amanda! I just found your dining review and am loving it so far!

I would like to become a vegetarian eventually so it's interesting to read dining reviews of vegetarians and vegans to see what options there are when you dine out in the real world (:
Cat0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #105
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0727 View Post
Hey Amanda! I just found your dining review and am loving it so far!

I would like to become a vegetarian eventually so it's interesting to read dining reviews of vegetarians and vegans to see what options there are when you dine out in the real world (:
Your sig is very cute! I just wanted to tell you that!
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Vegcentric is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: