Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #76
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer

I'm glad Chef Julie was able to accommodate you! When we went, we didn't get chef TJ either. While we didn't get the hand rolls, we didn't get a dish similar to yours, but without the wonton and with tofu. The sauce they used in the stir-fry was waaaay too sweet so I wasn't able to eat much of it, but their tofu was really good. I love crispy tofu, and theirs was nice and crisp.

I also love those peanut noodles that they serve everyone. I could eat those every day! Your picture is also very, very cute! I want one for when my husband and I go in the fall...I love the Princess and the Frog
August 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2003 - All Star Sports Resort
August 1993 - Off Property
Summer of 1989 - Off Property
Vegcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #77
mandibc11
Living in Wonderland, married to the Mad Hatter, with everything as it SHOULD be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganRazzleDazzle View Post
Very cute pic!! Where do you buy the CD in advance, and how many pictures did you end up with?
Thanks so much! We purchased the CD from the PhotoPass website. They had a few different versions but we chose the 99.95 package (will cost 140 or so if you purchase after your trip). http://www.disneyphotopass.com/photoproducts.aspx

We wound up with 101 photos, and then edited and made some with borders and such, which made the total about 230. The CD keeps all originals on there are well, so that was a plus!

I loved it because we didn't have a ton of random pictures where one of us is trying to hold the camera to get the shot. Usually that just doesn't work for us, and we leave from vacation with maybe 2 good pictures of us together!
mandibc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #78
mandibc11
Living in Wonderland, married to the Mad Hatter, with everything as it SHOULD be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegcentric View Post
I'm glad Chef Julie was able to accommodate you! When we went, we didn't get chef TJ either. While we didn't get the hand rolls, we didn't get a dish similar to yours, but without the wonton and with tofu. The sauce they used in the stir-fry was waaaay too sweet so I wasn't able to eat much of it, but their tofu was really good. I love crispy tofu, and theirs was nice and crisp.

I also love those peanut noodles that they serve everyone. I could eat those every day! Your picture is also very, very cute! I want one for when my husband and I go in the fall...I love the Princess and the Frog
I really liked Ohana and would go back no matter the chef! I'm with you on the tofu...I really don't like it much when it's crumbly!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #79
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandibc11 View Post
I really liked Ohana and would go back no matter the chef! I'm with you on the tofu...I really don't like it much when it's crumbly!
Crumbly, squishy, water-logged, etc. Yeah. Hahaha, I feel so picky, but really it's difficult to get right!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #80
maiziezoe
DIS Veteran

Great reviews! I am going to have my 13 year old daughter read your dining report to prepare her for our December trip. She is a vegetarian contemplating vegan.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #81
mandibc11

Quote:
Crumbly, squishy, water-logged, etc. Yeah. Hahaha, I feel so picky, but really it's difficult to get right!
Ew! I know!! I have really been shying away from too much tofu lately anyway...seems it's been hurting my stomach like crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiziezoe View Post
Great reviews! I am going to have my 13 year old daughter read your dining report to prepare her for our December trip. She is a vegetarian contemplating vegan.

Thanks!
Oh! I really hope I help her out then - I'm excited for ya'll...Let me know if there is anything specific she has questions about and I'll do my best to help!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #82
mandibc11

Breakfast at Boardwalk Bakery

Is there anything quite like a warm pastry? I sometimes get a craving and sprint to my favorite bake shop. My favorite is the Vegan “Beet It” muffin, with huge dark chocolate chunks…amazing even as a dessert! This particular morning of our trip though, we would be having bakery items to begin our day.

Before our trip, I had planned our Epcot day to include only a light breakfast. Looking back, it probably wasn’t the best planning decision, knowing in advance of our late dinner and cocktails the evening before. With my adoration of breakfast even on a normal day, this should have tipped me off that I might need something a bit more substantial! But, we were able to only use a snack credit for this, so I count it as a breakfast well spent (it enabled us to eat at a Signature dinner later in the week)!

Epcot had extra magic hours that morning, so I wanted to get over quickly and ride all the good stuff before there were 2 hour long waits for everything. Can you believe I’ve been to Disney World at least 8 times and have never ridden Test Track or Soarin’? Well this day was going to be my first experience!

On the way there, we stopped at Boardwalk Bakery, were surprised by its quietness (usually there is a line out the door and along the boardwalk), and immediately placed our orders so we could eat as we walked.

Now for a little back story. As I’ve mentioned a few times now, I had been in contact with Disney Special Diets quite frequently. They mentioned that if there was anything specific I wanted, to just ask. SO…I took them up on it! Even though there were no Vegan items on Boardwalk Bakery's normal menu, they surprised me by giving me the email to the pastry chef! Chef Stefan is the pastry chef for both Boardwalk Bakery and Beach Club Marketplace, so emailed him asking what he might be able to whip up. He quickly replied and let me know he could do:
Bran Muffins
Apple Muffins
Blueberry Muffins
Bread
Sorbet (if I wanted dessert at any point during my stay)

Nope, couldn't have anything in the display case, so I chose the Blueberry Muffins, and let him know the date I would be picking them up during my stay. Simple as that!

Jeremy also picked out a Blueberry Muffin (they both looked exactly the same), and we headed out.

As we were walking, we both dug right in. Mine was…raw. That’s the best way to describe it. It was very doughy in the center, like they hadn’t baked it nearly long enough, even though the outside was golden as it should be. It even tasted like bread dough…mixed in with a few blueberries. I was so disappointed!

Jeremy said his was very good, though. He tried a little bit of mine and confirmed that yes, it was a bit on the undercooked side. He also mentioned there was a HUGE difference in his Blueberry muffin and mine. Looks can be quite deceiving!

I quickly threw it out and we continued on into the park. We entered through the back entrance located in the World Showcase and walked through the UK and Canada on our way to Future World. I noticed the Yorkshire County Fish Shop and knew that before lunch that day, I would be needing some French Fries!!

Before the rides and greasy snacks, we had to stop for a PhotoPass picture!

Last edited by mandibc11; 06-03-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #83
Vegcentric
Mouseketeer

Awww, that's a bummer about the muffin. I've had some absolutely amazing vegan pastries before...and then some not so good ones Sorry yours was the latter.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #84
mandibc11

Quote:
Awww, that's a bummer about the muffin. I've had some absolutely amazing vegan pastries before...and then some not so good ones Sorry yours was the latter.
Haha well I had so much food this trip, it probably did me a world of good to be without a full tummy for a few hours! I definitely made up for it.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #85
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more
WISHing my way to success!
I'm lost again - What's new
DIS WAAAP -The smack on the head when you've been DIS'ing too long

Oh man, that totally stinks about the muffin.
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/7/14-8/23/14 -15 nts POP
MelanieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #86
VeganRazzleDazzle
Mouseketeer

I've always wanted to be a pastry chef, which is far from what I do (i'm a horseback riding instructor). I love to bake and everything vegan that I make has excellent feedback from nonvegan's. A story like that makes me want to work at a place like that and make something great that is totally unexpected by someone with a special diet. Maybe I should change professions...

Jess(Me) Dave(DH) David(DS3)
VeganRazzleDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #87
mandibc11

Quote:
I've always wanted to be a pastry chef, which is far from what I do (i'm a horseback riding instructor). I love to bake and everything vegan that I make has excellent feedback from nonvegan's. A story like that makes me want to work at a place like that and make something great that is totally unexpected by someone with a special diet. Maybe I should change professions...
You really should! The vegan pastries I've had are for the most part absolutely delicious, but there are times when some places try their hardest to accommodate (Disney in this example), and just miss the mark completely!

I would absolutely purchase long distance for something like this! Heck, I've been thinking about ordering some Divvies online...I would much prefer homemade treats!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #88
AMadHatterMyself
Happily Mad and Married to the Alice of my Life!

Ohana was fantastic! As I am sure every review will tell you Ohana must be on your reservation list. As the meat eating Hatter, you just can't beat all the meat you can eat! I really enjoyed the atmosphere, they did such a great job of making everyone have a good time. There was limbo going on for all the kids (and adults if you chose to participate), the view is out of this world, and yes, once again the food was wonderful.

And don't forget, as Lilo so elequently says, "Ohana means family!" So prepare to eat for a family, meet your neighbors, and have an experience that just can't be beat!
AMadHatterMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #89
VeganRazzleDazzle
Mouseketeer

I'm only One and a Half hours from Disney, I can Deliver!

Jess(Me) Dave(DH) David(DS3)
VeganRazzleDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #90
mandibc11

Quote:
I'm only One and a Half hours from Disney, I can Deliver!
Don't think I might not call you up when we're HOPEFULLY there in the fall and get some of your baked goods!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: