Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #31
mandibc11
Living in Wonderland, married to the Mad Hatter, with everything as it SHOULD be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids2luv View Post
I'm joining in Enjoying your report. Just 5 more days until we can make our ADR and still looking for two more places.
That's exciting! Have you narrowed it down to any? Hopefully I will be able to help you out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieDustandEeyore View Post
Enjoying your Vegan reviews....
Thanks! Much more to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegcentric View Post
Your vegetable dish was very pretty and seemed to be quite large! At first I was kinda disappointed when you said all they could bring out was a vegetable plate, but once you mentioned ratatouille I changed my mind!

Ratatouille is one of my favorite foods. That looked really tasty. I am a big, big fan of coconut milk in my ice cream, so I think I would have liked the sorbet. I'm not a big dessert person, and I pretty much ate sorbet a few times on my last trip since we were on the DDP.

Nice reviews so far! I'm enjoying them!
It was actually pretty big - even though I didn't eat most of the potatoes, I still had plenty leftover, so you know it had to be large! I would love to figure out how to make Ratatouille, but it seems a bit involved!

I think you will be really satisfied with the desserts you can have when you go. Sorbet and fruit was available practically everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Just caught up and love your reviews !!
Looking forward to hearing more
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamom View Post
I'm really enjoying your reviews and pictures. thanks for sharing!
You're very welcome - thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPotts View Post
Thanks! I think that Mama Melrose and Chefs de France will be going back on our ADR list for our August trip.
Yes, we will definitely go back and would recommend them both!
mandibc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #32
mandibc11
Living in Wonderland, married to the Mad Hatter, with everything as it SHOULD be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_me View Post
Lovin' the reviews so far !!

That roasted veggie pizza from Mama Mel's looks incredible !

I would have never thought to order that.

(* makes mental note* *pretending I won't forget*)
It was fantastic, and while not on the menu...perhaps it should be!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #33
mandibc11

1900 Park Fare

Subtitle should be - The Great, The Good, and the UGLY!

For the first full day of our stay, we were up and at the bus stop early. I wanted to arrive ahead of time for our ADR, so that we could get to the park around opening time and beat the majority of the crowds!

But little did I know, if it’s not early Extra Magic Hours for the park you will be traveling to, buses don’t tend to show up! We waited about 45 minutes for a bus…can you believe it?! Thank goodness I had wanted to be early!

Isn't this the most picture perfect resort that ever was?? After getting to Magic Kingdom and hopping on the monorail to the Grand Floridian, we checked in only a few moments before a massive rush of people came in. Perfect Timing! There is a photo you can take before walking into the restaurant…keep in mind it’s about $30! We didn’t realize this, got our very adorable picture taken, but didn’t buy it because, well, it wasn’t THAT cute!

Right when we sat down, our waitress came and offered us drinks, noted my “allergy” and went to get a chef. So far so good! Almost immediately he arrived, accompanied by his “shadow,” a new chef that wanted to see how the allergy requests worked…I was his first experience! The chef asked if he could take me around the buffet and show me what all I could have, so we made our way with Jeremy in tow – he wanted to take it all in, as well.

Instead of a simple, “You can eat this, but not that,” the chef wanted to tell me exactly why I wouldn’t be able to eat it. I will spare you the details and just give a quick rundown. Potatoes (which were safe) and meats were first. Fruits were next, which thankfully were safe, and then came the omelette station. Here’s where it gets confusing.

He let me know that they would be able to make me an omelette with an egg alternative, and include roasted veggies in it – sounds good, right? Well, I let him know I might try it out, and we continued on.

Up next were a wide variety of bagels. I could have the plain or onion. Two more sections to go – pastries (which I couldn’t eat but looked beautiful) and pancakes/waffles. While I couldn’t have these, he promised to make me gluten free/vegan Mickey waffles! I was excited – these would actually be my first Mickey waffles ever!

I was free to roam after this, and went to the omelette station to make my request. The cook didn’t seem to understand though, and pulled out the Egg Beaters. At this moment, I noticed the two chefs still looking over at me. I caught their eye, they walked over to me, and pretty much questioned my sanity regarding the eggs. They had to explain to me and the confused omelette cook that I couldn’t have anything from the omelette station and they would be making mine themselves. Oops…

Jeremy had been gathering his food the entire time, and when I got back to my seat he was discussing my tardiness with the Mad Hatter! I put down my very small and pathetic looking plate of food, and explained to the Hatter that while, YES I love cakes and pastries, I would have to get something special from the kitchen, which would take a few moments longer.

Jeremy got the Famed Strawberry soup. He thought it was the best Strawberry soup he ever tasted! Keep in mind, this was his first experience. Even so, he would have gotten seconds had it not been for his other items. There was also a mound of Mickey waffles and a nice looking omelette next to the soup, but he was talking and eating with the Hatter, and I failed to get a picture of this.

This is my sad plate…it includes the potatoes, which were great and a bit spicy, but I was more in the mood for waffles. As you can tell, I also had some fruit, and there was a dallop of Orange Marmalade that I thought might be nice with the waffles.

And out they came! They were so cute! Throughout the trip, there would be many more of these waffles, and I developed a system when eating them…I usually bit or pulled off one ear at a time! Does anyone else do this? ANYWAY, they were delicious. I was skeptical with the mention of both vegan and gluten free, but really they were divine. Crisp on the outside - warm, dense, and almost doughy in the middle.

At this point I was very full, and Jeremy was more than done with his food. As we sat waiting on the omelette, which honestly I wasn’t that interested in, we looked around at all the characters and wanted to get on to the Magic Kingdom to see even more! I couldn’t just leave when they were making such an effort for me though, so we waited. And waited.

Now, I’m going to warn you. BEWARE of the picture you are about to see! Really, it doesn’t even do this concoction justice. It was horrible, and the chef himself thought so as he brought out…..

THIS! It was just as slimy, gooey, and gelatinous as it appears. He apologized and said he had followed the directions exactly, but it kept turning out this way. He showed me the box; it was Ener-G egg replacers. But…I just couldn’t even touch them, much less take a bite! After sticking my fork in, noting that it formed a goo when I pulled it out, we got the check and headed to the park!

Overall, this was a great experience. I have always loved 1900 Park Fare because of the Alice in Wonderland characters. Even though Alice herself never made it to our table, I was happy to talk to the OTHER hatter in my life!

Out of pocket, the total was $44.71 before tip. We’ll be back for the experience, but we had much better breakfasts later on in the week.

Last edited by mandibc11; 05-29-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #34
hgoff79
Mouseketeer

I've never seen anyone try to use Ener-G to replace eggs when they ARE the dish! Just in baking, mostly. And clearly now I know why, gag! Most of the time people just use tofu to approximate the texture of egg (though I don't eat soy, so that complicates things).
Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #35
allyphoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandibc11 View Post
He apologized and said he had followed the directions exactly, but it kept turning out this way. He showed me the box; it was Ener-G egg replacers.
Bwahahahaha! I don't know what directions he was following, because when I've used the Ener-G egg replacer, my box said in giant letters that it was only suitable in baked goods, because it's just some starch (for the thickening characteristic of egg) and leavening (for the rising characteristic of egg). Flaxseed meal + water makes a good egg replacement for baking, too, but it's not like you could fry it into an omelet.
allyphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #36
Gouden Leeuw
Mouseketeer

Great review! Im in
Gouden Leeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #37
Stepharia
DIS Veteran

Location: Louisville, KY soon to be living closer to the Mouse

Great review. I'm in!!

And btw I have a Mickey waffle maker at home and both while in Disney and at home I always eat Mickey's ears first!!! Don't know why but always have!!!

CBR 12/2010 * CSR 6/2009 * Swan, Nick Hotel, Gaylord 3/2008 * AKL 12/2007 * AKL 3/2007 * POP 6/2007 * ASMu 10/2005 * ASMo 09/2003 * ASSp 10/2001 * CBR 08/1997, 06/1995 * Off Site 1985, 1977
Stepharia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #38
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

OMG! That "omelet" is just about the scariest thing I've ever seen on a plate! Blech, I would have taken one look and made a beeline for the door, no way I could have tried it either.

Really enjoying your reviews, it's great to get both perspectives. Looking forward to more!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #39
VeganRazzleDazzle
Mouseketeer

He probably was following the 'directions' that show how to make 1 or 2 eggs worth but didn't realize it was just for baking, etc. They use the EnerG replacer when making the Vegan Mickey Waffles, so why night, right? Ha! He would have had much better luck with Tofu!

Bottom line is, I can't believe he plated that!

Oh-No! Thats one of my ADR's too. Is the Strawberry Soup Not Vegan???? I was planning on making a meal of just that and Mickey Waffles.

Jess(Me) Dave(DH) David(DS3)
VeganRazzleDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #40
texasgirl73
Obsessive Trip Planner

Ewwwwwww....that is just scary!!!! He should be ashamed of himself for even bringing it out. Thanks for the reviews, by the way. It's great to see how accommodating they can be. I'm glad I don't have any allergies, but many members of my family (mother, grandpa, aunt, uncles) are diabetic so it's good to know that if any of them decide to join me, they won't have any problems.
texasgirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #41
mandibc11

Yeah, I had only heard of using Ener-G for baking also! I had heard of it, but even when he mentioned an "egg alternative" omelette I was skeptical. Like I said, I was really only interested in a few items, and eggs wasn't one of them! But he's a chef...he knows what he's doing, right?! Oh well...lesson learned for him!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #42
mandibc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouden Leeuw View Post
Great review! Im in
Thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepharia View Post
Great review. I'm in!!

And btw I have a Mickey waffle maker at home and both while in Disney and at home I always eat Mickey's ears first!!! Don't know why but always have!!!
Well I wasn't going to go into the fact that I always ate the left ear first...that would make me too OCD. But now that I have someone of a like mind, I can share that, as well!

I may need to get one of those waffle makers...do they turn out the same way the one's in Disney do? YUM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB1228 View Post
OMG! That "omelet" is just about the scariest thing I've ever seen on a plate! Blech, I would have taken one look and made a beeline for the door, no way I could have tried it either.

Really enjoying your reviews, it's great to get both perspectives. Looking forward to more!
We DID run out of there after that! But mostly because we were stuffed and ready to hit the parks! Thanks for reading - I have tons more to post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl73 View Post
Ewwwwwww....that is just scary!!!! He should be ashamed of himself for even bringing it out. Thanks for the reviews, by the way. It's great to see how accommodating they can be. I'm glad I don't have any allergies, but many members of my family (mother, grandpa, aunt, uncles) are diabetic so it's good to know that if any of them decide to join me, they won't have any problems.
You're very welcome for the reviews! Most of the chefs were incredibly accommodating - hopefully you'll be able to get some ideas for your family in the future!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #43
mandibc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganRazzleDazzle View Post
He probably was following the 'directions' that show how to make 1 or 2 eggs worth but didn't realize it was just for baking, etc. They use the EnerG replacer when making the Vegan Mickey Waffles, so why night, right? Ha! He would have had much better luck with Tofu!

Bottom line is, I can't believe he plated that!

Oh-No! Thats one of my ADR's too. Is the Strawberry Soup Not Vegan???? I was planning on making a meal of just that and Mickey Waffles.
I will always go back to 1900 simply because Grand Floridian is my favorite resort and I love Alice in Wonderland! That said, they don't do the BEST job as far as breakfast goes compared with some of the other resorts, but it's still good!

Unfortunately the Strawberry soup isn't even close to vegan; the recipe is online and includes heavy cream, sour cream and yogurt! (http://www.allearsnet.com/din/rec_straw.htm). BUT, I have heard rumors that if you ask, they can make it dairy free!

Please try that when you're there and let me know! Mickey Waffles and Strawberry soup sounds good for ANY meal of the day!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #44
laliwalden
Mouseketeer

Wow, that "omelet" thing looks, well awful! I am surprised they even brought it out and gave it to you. YUCK!!

Lindsey Chris Maddy
Ra Ray Rita Puss Puss (in heaven)
Our Trips
Pop Century-2006 (Honeymoon)
Pop Century-2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Disney Dream and Pop Century!!- October 2014!!!!

laliwalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #45
MamaPotts
Mouseketeer

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have a chef with a willing attitude try and fail, than one who just says "sorry, I can't [all the while thinking, I won't] do anything for you." Like you said, it was definitely a lesson learned for him.

MamaPotts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: