Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #256
alicehatter
Living in Wonderland, Married to the Mad Hatter, with Everything as it SHOULD be. (aka mandibc11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangzoom6877 View Post

I have a question for you, a little off topic...what types of non-dairy "ice creams" do you like best? I have tried tofutti (love it), SO Delicious (it's good, but tofutti is better), Purely Decadent (same company as SO Delicious, but tastes better to me), and Rice Dream (not that crazy about it). I am wondering about Almond Dream though. I saw it at the health food store when I was picking up some tofutti cuties, and I love almond milk so I am curious. I didn't buy it though. Have you tried almond dream? One thing that I am sure is delicious is coconut milk based ice cream, but coconut milk aggravates my IBS so I can't have it. I was just wondering what your opinion is. Thanks!
I haven't tried the Almond Dream, but I may have to give is a whirl! I love Almond milk, so I'm sure it would be pretty good! I think my favorite ice cream would have to be any of the Purely Decadent! I love coconut anything, so that helps alot! My husband, however, is not as much of a fan
alicehatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #257
MelanieC
BL II - Blue Team
Not off base any more
WISHing my way to success!
I'm lost again - What's new
DIS WAAAP -The smack on the head when you've been DIS'ing too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangzoom6877 View Post
I have a question for you, a little off topic...what types of non-dairy "ice creams" do you like best? I have tried tofutti (love it), SO Delicious (it's good, but tofutti is better), Purely Decadent (same company as SO Delicious, but tastes better to me), and Rice Dream (not that crazy about it). I am wondering about Almond Dream though. I saw it at the health food store when I was picking up some tofutti cuties, and I love almond milk so I am curious. I didn't buy it though. Have you tried almond dream? One thing that I am sure is delicious is coconut milk based ice cream, but coconut milk aggravates my IBS so I can't have it. I was just wondering what your opinion is. Thanks!

I'll also give you mine. I like the frozen treats from rice dreams, but the ice cream is horrible (in the tubs). Purely Decadent/SO is awesome. The coconut flavors are all good, at least the ones I've tried. Chocolate peanut butter - yummy!! I love the turtle something one which is vanilla with little chocolate covered caramel crunchy bits in it. Choclate in the regular purely decadent ones is not as good as the vanilla (but I do like it in the coconut) I've heard really good things about TEMPT, but I can't seem to find it in the ice cream.

Just realized you saiid you can't have coconut. Try the turtle one by Purely Decadent. SO Good. It's soy based and the easiest for me to find locally without having to go to Whole Foods. I have tried the Almond Dream but now I can't remember why I never bought it again. Maybe I need to try it again. I thought I bought almond praline or maybe I got vanilla but wanted to try almond praline and couldn't find it. I think Almond dream makes a ice cream sandwich that I tried and that I really liked. They were tiny, but a nice treat. The Rice Dream cookie sandwiches in the mocha are great. Not so good in the mint.
9/6/94-9/9/94 3nts Disneyland Hotel, 9/2/95-9/10/95 Offsite, 11/27/96-12/7/96 SOG, 11/25/99-12/5/99 ASMovies, 9/16/00-9/23/00 ASMovies, 11/24/01-12/09/01- 15 nts ASMovies, 11/23/02-11/08/02 - 15 nts ASMovies, 11/14/03-11/22/03 8 nts CR, 11/20/04-12/05/04-15 nts ASMovies, 7/16/05-7/31/05- 15 nts POP, 7/28/06-8/13/06- 16 nts POP 7/13/07-7/29/07-16 nts POP, 3/20/09 - 3/24/09 4 nts ASsports, 8/7/09 - 8/25/09-18 nts POP, 7/16/10 - 8/1/10-16 nts POP, 7/15/11-7/30/11 -15 nights POP, 8/7/14-8/23/14 -15 nts POP
MelanieC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #258
bangzoom6877
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicehatter View Post
I haven't tried the Almond Dream, but I may have to give is a whirl! I love Almond milk, so I'm sure it would be pretty good! I think my favorite ice cream would have to be any of the Purely Decadent! I love coconut anything, so that helps alot! My husband, however, is not as much of a fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieC View Post
I'll also give you mine. I like the frozen treats from rice dreams, but the ice cream is horrible (in the tubs). Purely Decadent/SO is awesome. The coconut flavors are all good, at least the ones I've tried. Chocolate peanut butter - yummy!! I love the turtle something one which is vanilla with little chocolate covered caramel crunchy bits in it. Choclate in the regular purely decadent ones is not as good as the vanilla (but I do like it in the coconut) I've heard really good things about TEMPT, but I can't seem to find it in the ice cream.

Just realized you saiid you can't have coconut. Try the turtle one by Purely Decadent. SO Good. It's soy based and the easiest for me to find locally without having to go to Whole Foods. I have tried the Almond Dream but now I can't remember why I never bought it again. Maybe I need to try it again. I thought I bought almond praline or maybe I got vanilla but wanted to try almond praline and couldn't find it. I think Almond dream makes a ice cream sandwich that I tried and that I really liked. They were tiny, but a nice treat. The Rice Dream cookie sandwiches in the mocha are great. Not so good in the mint.
Thanks so much guys!! I had the Purely Decadent a couple of weeks ago in Cookie Avalanche (like vanilla with oreo cookies!). It was delicious!

I realized that since I live in Brooklyn, and there are a lot of religious Jewish people near where I live, that there must be a store that sells kosher non-dairy ice cream. Sure enough, there is one ice cream parlor around the corner from where I work, and another one that is closer to my house, and much easier to park! I went to the one closer to my house on my way home from work today and they had tons of things that contain no dairy! I bought these small treats made of non-dairy peanut butter and vanilla ice cream, with a little fudge on top and the bottom is dipped in chocolate. I also bought chocolate/vanilla sundae cups with chocolate fudge on top and whipped topping! They're like the little ice cream cups I buy my kids at the supermarket, but dairy free! They had tons of other stuff, including non-dairy cakes. My birthday is in June and I just may have to tell DH to get my cake there!

Anyway, I had the little peanut butter and vanilla treat and it was delicious! It also has little chocolate cookie bits in it. I am going to be *bad* tonight and try a sundae cup too. In a little while I have physical therapy (I had surgery 6 weeks ago because of a badly herniated disc in my neck), and I will try the sundae cup when I get home.

The only thing is...they have no nutrition label so I don't know how many points they would be counted as on weight watchers. I will check the weight watchers books and just count them the same as regular ice cream. (I'm a Lifetime Member and I still count everything and write it down).

Thanks again for your recommendations. I think that next, I will go back to this place and buy one of their tubs. They sell vanilla, chocolate, and vanilla fudge (the one I will buy!).

8/1985, off-site; 8/1989, off-site; 5/1992, HS trip off-site; 5/1994, HS trip off-site; 7/2008, 1st family trip Pop Century; 7/2010, 1st DVC trip BWV; 7/2012, 2nd DVC trip BWV; 7/2014, next DVC trip
bangzoom6877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #259
Momtomouselover
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to drop-in and say THANK YOU for the awesome dining report! I am a vegetarian traveling to Disney World in a week. I'm attempting to tweak some of my reservations now to see if I can enjoy similar things although I know it is quite late to do so. Anyways, thanks so much for sharing with us!
Momtomouselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #260
coltsfanatic
"I'm the sweetest vegan you'll ever meet."

Location: 80 Miles from THE Ohio State University, but Florida real soon!

So excited for you, I also happen to be a vegan and I LOVE it!! So excited to start reading your posts. Taking my omnivore mother there next year during our road trip..it should be fun!!
coltsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #261
coltsfanatic
"I'm the sweetest vegan you'll ever meet."

Location: 80 Miles from THE Ohio State University, but Florida real soon!

sorry, I reposted!!

Last edited by coltsfanatic; 10-19-2011 at 02:38 PM.
coltsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: