Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 05:45 AM   #46
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack

Day 20 - Barcelona & Flying Home

The Plan
I was able to transfer the flights we had booked originally for 7th August to the 18th August - the price hadn't gone up but there was a 25 Euro per person admin charge - boo hiss!

However as we fly home on a Wednesday not Saturday the times had changed and we went from an 11:10am flight which was slightly too early for my liking, to a 13:50 flight which should be much less hurried.

We also ditched the DCL transfers we had booked as the general consensus on the boards was they were over priced and that a taxi would be cheaper.

So the plan is to get off the ship at a slightly less frantic pace than originally anticipated, and make our way to the airport. Depending on time we may not go straight to the airport but to be honest the thought or traipsing around with our bags as well as two small children is not that appealing so it may be direct to the airport to ditch the bags and then airport wandering until our flight is called.

A fully charged laptop with DVDs may well be called for to entertan the DDs while we wait!

We fly in to Stansted which is our nearest airport and around about 1 hour from home, so once we land Dad will get us and take us home and back to reality - no more stateroom host, no one cooking and delivering dinner and then washing up... you get the picture!

The Reality

Breakfast in the room went to plan but as you can see our youngest has the same sorts of feelings as me about both getting up early on vacation and also about ending our trip!

With all the last minute items packed we left 6571 - we know we will never book that room again (way too tight on storage) but it had been home for 11 nights and we would miss being on the Magic!

In the hallway we said goodbye to our SRH (I want to call him Fitz but without my notes...?)

Customs was not too bad, we got out and into the Barcelona sunshine and a long line for cabs.

We weren't worried as our flight was not early. When our turn came we checked the driver spoke English and then arranged with him to do a mini tour of Barcelona before heading over the airport. He drove us through the city and I chatted with him about the Barcelona Olympics which I went to as a teenager with my Dad. We stopped off at Sagrada Famillia for a photo and then headed to Parc Guell for a wander and more photos. We then drove through Barcelona and looked at some of the Gaudi buildings before making our way to the airport. I can't remember how much this was but I want to say around 90 Euro. We didn't feel it was extortionate for the time we took and the driver being a pretty good tour guide and photographer!

We got checked in at the airport and then waited for our gate to be called. The girls rode the trunki suitcase in the airport halls (it was quite quiet) and eventually we boarded the plane and flew the short trip back to the UK.

We landed at our local airport so only an hours drive - what a contrast to our return flight from Florida the year before. On that occasion we landed, were collected by my Dad and took as long to get home as it had taken to fly from Orlando as the M25 (Londons main ring road) was closed in 3 places and diverted traffic was grid locking the alternative routes!

Last edited by Melcatfish; 06-16-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:45 AM   #47
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!

Final Thoughts

Just a post to include some reflections on the trip, doing B2B etc...

Back to back wasn't as smooth as I had hoped from reading posts on here but I guess sometimes things just don't go to plan, even with a couple of hours of not knowing and inconvenience it was more than worth it to be staying onboard when most others were getting off knowing their trip had ended!

We really had a great time. Cruising is simply the simplest vacation with a young family and we felt very happy with the care our children received when they were away from us in the kids clubs. Our cruises with the children are the only trips we have taken since having children where we truly feel that we have had a holiday as well as the kids.

We were really sad knowing we wouldn't be cruising in 2011 but we also knew it was because we were planning a trip in 2012 so that kind of helped!

Last edited by Melcatfish; 06-16-2013 at 03:10 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #48
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!

Got back today, updates (and photos) coming shortly

Mel
x
Old 08-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #49
scottishwee35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcatfish View Post

Mel
x
Hi Melcatfish

I was thinking about you and wonder how was your cruise?

Scottishwee35
Disney Wonder Cruise, 6-9 April 06Disney Magic Cruise Med 18-28 July 07Disney Magic Panama Canal, 10 -28May 0828 July 10- Dover to Barcelona RCCI Freedom 10 April 11, Splendour of the Seas July 2013 WBTA Sept 2014

scottishwee35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #50
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Mel
x
Looking forward to hearing how the plan met reality! BTB cruises sound wonderful but exhausting!
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #51
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishwee35 View Post
Hi Melcatfish

I was thinking about you and wonder how was your cruise?

Scottishwee35
It was fabulous, we really loved it and now I am homesick for the ship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl09 View Post
Looking forward to hearing how the plan met reality! BTB cruises sound wonderful but exhausting!
Well as you will see we had, for whatever reason, a less than perfect transition but that was not something in Disneys control and I wouldn't hesitate to do B2B again - we really loved the fact that when you usually get the end of cruise blues we knew we had another cruise to look forward to!

Anyway, Day 1 Report added on page 1 of this thread.

Mel
x
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #52
eeyorefanuk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It was fabulous, we really loved it and now I am homesick for the ship!

Well as you will see we had, for whatever reason, a less than perfect transition but that was not something in Disneys control and I wouldn't hesitate to do B2B again - we really loved the fact that when you usually get the end of cruise blues we knew we had another cruise to look forward to!

Anyway, Day 1 Report added on page 1 of this thread.

Mel
x
Loved your first day, cannot wait for more.

We have just come home from three weeks staying at WDW, and like you totally have the blues

eeyorefanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #53
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

really enjoyed Day 1!! - looking forward to more soon!!

NEXT TRIPS: August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland / Aug 2016 - Portofino/BLT/Jambo

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!
amystevekai&bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #54
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

Really enjoyed your first day .... it must make so much difference not having to fly for 9 hours with small children. How lovely that so many CMs recognised you all
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #55
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Great first day, looking forward to reading Day 2.

We thought the same about Cherbourg but it was actually really good and surprised us.
Did you see the little horse and carriage rides into town? The market stalls selling artisan gifts? They were all put on by the Cherbourg Port Authority just for Disney. Apparently they were so chuffed at having a Disney ship in Cherbourg for the first time, that they laid out the lovely reception!

Not to spoil it for your trippie, but that departure!!!??? Best ever!

Well done Cherbourg
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #56
scottishwee35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
Great first day, looking forward to reading Day 2.

We thought the same about Cherbourg but it was actually really good and surprised us.
Did you see the little horse and carriage rides into town? The market stalls selling artisan gifts? They were all put on by the Cherbourg Port Authority just for Disney. Apparently they were so chuffed at having a Disney ship in Cherbourg for the first time, that they laid out the lovely reception!

Not to spoil it for your trippie, but that departure!!!??? Best ever!

Well done Cherbourg
hear hear ....

Yes it was a lovely day... I enjoyed it.... and horse with carriage rides into town was fun... we got on when back to disney cruise... we managed to squeeze in

Also it was great fun to watch man with a dog with black eye.. chased after the horse and man was tipped over, what a laugh and we all laughing at him... wish Ian video it...as it was so funny....then my husband's camera len was falling off and about half way back to ship... He had to walked back for it....

Scottishwee35
Disney Wonder Cruise, 6-9 April 06Disney Magic Cruise Med 18-28 July 07Disney Magic Panama Canal, 10 -28May 0828 July 10- Dover to Barcelona RCCI Freedom 10 April 11, Splendour of the Seas July 2013 WBTA Sept 2014

Old 09-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #57
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Mel, really enjoying your report and LOVE the foremat!
Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #58
scottishwee35
DIS Veteran

Mel

I would like to saying many thanks for FE and this things are so beautiful and I will add on the photos and show my friends of our cruise....

Scottishwee35

Old 01-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #59
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!

Updated and filled in the Cherbourg day - only a 5 month gap since I last wrote any! I had completely forgotten about this until I was looking at my Dis signature and saw the link lol. I will be a lot quicker to complete the next bit I promise It is good fun reliving it a while after the trip.

Mel
x
Old 01-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #60
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

so pleased you are back - another great installment - hopefully we won't have to wait quite as long next time!!!

NEXT TRIPS: August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland / Aug 2016 - Portofino/BLT/Jambo

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!
amystevekai&bump is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: