Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
momto2nenas
DIS Veteran

Party of Five - Five Days at Disneyland Resort May 15-19 2010 *complete!*

We're back! Getting back into the swing of things at home and feeling that all too familiar "Disneyland Homesickness" so thought it was best to keep the trip alive and jump right into my trip report.

You can read my PTR Here.

We booked our trip through Costco Travel with the 3 for 5 deal and we couldn't wait to spend 5 days in the Parks since our previous trips have all been for 3 days only.

The night before we left I started feeling a little under the weather, a scratchy throat, body aches, you know -sick. So NOT the best way to start a trip but I told myself it was just a cold coming on and that wasn't going to stop us from doing the LAND for 5 days!

Saturday, May 15 dawned bright and early and we were up and 'em to get to the airport for our 9:30am flight from San Antonio to LAX. I slept as much as I could on the flight while DH took care of our 3 girls. They are good travelers and we have the airplanes down so everything went well during the flight.

We landed in LAX, collected our bags and went out to catch the most beautiful shuttle bus there is, the Disneyland Express! (You'll notice a lack of pictures our first 2 days compared to my usuals... I was sick!) We didn't even wait 5 minutes and the bus arrived, it was right around 11am. We made it to the Fairfield Inn right at 12noon. I had called ahead a few days before to request a ground floor, closest to the street room with a baby crib. And our room was READY at Noon! We were so thankful for that.

Last edited by momto2nenas; 05-20-2011 at 06:12 PM.
momto2nenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Sick????? OH NO!!!!! I hope it didn't totally slow you down for your trip....looking forward to see how it all went!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
chickyann
Mouseketeer

sorry you started off your trip sick, hope you got better quickly
Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
momto2nenas
DIS Veteran

Day 1

So we get checked into our hotel nice and early, its a great room, the very last room on the ground floor facing the pool. We literally are 5 steps from the parking lot and 5 steps CLOSER to Disneyland . It proved to work out perfectly for us, if only that darn pool wasn't so tempting to my children. They whined and complained the entire first day about going swimming. HELLO ungrateful children, we are taking you to Disneyland today not going swimming when its only 70 degrees outside!

We were hungry and needed to fuel ourselves before hitting the park. I love Mimi's and it was right there in the parking lot of our hotel (next to Millie's) PLUS I had a $10 off coupon for my birthday to use. Only too bad my throat was now hurting so bad I could barely swallow. I ended up nibbling on my food and drinking hot water. I wonder what the server thought when I ordered hot water 2 different times?! I actually ended up filling the mug with salt and going in the restroom to gargle it hoping it would help with my throat.

The best medicine though was still right across the street and calling our names! I popped an 800mg Motrin (leftover from the birth of my daughter last July, lol!) and we were headed to those beautiful gates. (Memory lapse here...are they GREEN or black? I want to say green...)

It was close to 2pm and as soon as we heard the music playing from California Adventure side I think I started smiling for the first time that day. Meanwhile my brat children (said in jest, I promise they are really darlings...) were still saying "We want to go swimming". Well what SMELLS more beautiful than a swimming pool?! Pirates of the Carribean! We declared that our first stop as we entered Disneyland!

We entered through the left tunnel and I snapped the traditional photo:

LOVE that quote!

DH ran into City Hall to get DD3 her "First Visit" button and also my Birthday button for later on in the trip. While waiting we ran into this big white duck that we had never met "in real life" before! Yay a Disneyland first, great way to start the trip!

We got in line for POTC and while the line looked long-ish, we never really stood around just kept walking through the que and it went pretty quickly. This ride is definately the family favorite and we usually average at least 5 rides on it during our trips.
Not a good pic but captures some of the ambiance of the ride:

It was great and the baby LOVED it! She really loved all the dark rides this trip and it was so fun to see the excitement and happiness on her little face.

DH took the big girls to climb Tarzan's Treehouse and I rested a bit in New Orleans's Square. I really could sit there all day and not get bored. I sent the camera along with DH:

I've still never made the trek into the tree... the swinging rope bridge would probably do me in anyway...

It was close to 3pm and we wanted to see the parade before we left the park to meet friends back at our hotel. DD2 got to meet Jasmine and Aladdin at his Oasis on our way out of Adventureland, DD1 "saw them last year" and sadly that became her pattern the whole trip. She's almost 8 and suddenly too cool for characters. What?! I love characters and I'll be turning thirty-one this trip!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
momto2nenas
DIS Veteran

Day 1 cont.

** I just lost a whole post!

We found a spot on Main Street right behind the curb and settled down to wait for the parade. We heard several people commenting around us that the parade wouldn't reach Main Street until 4:00. I should have remembered that from last year!

DH went to Coke Corner and spent $15 on 4 drinks... lets add another I could barely swallow mine my throat was hurting so bad and they'd messed it up and made it diet Cherry Coke.. yep

You can't tell from this picture but I was feeling pretty bad at this point:

I went into the bakery behind us to browse around and take pictures, hopefully enough to distract myself from the pain! It did work for a little bit...

I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the Celebrate parade. It just does not hold the magic like Parade of Dreams did, I didn't get teary or feel that tingly "Disney Magic" vibe. Well maybe a little when I saw this little face totally enthralled...

She loved it! Big sisters were still asking can we go to the pool now? How much longer? Is it time? NO! Hush up and watch the darned parade! Even Tigger couldn't get them to participate!

Those performers really give it there all though and work hard, I have to give them props for that!

Parade was over and we followed it up Main Street to head back to the hotel to meet our friends who lived in the area. We were all stationed together in Hawaii and they are now lucky enough to live 20 minutes from Disneyland where he is your local Air Force recruiter. Yes they have APs, NO they have not been to Disboards..

The bratlings, I mean darlings finally got to go to the pool where the Dads supervised while the moms headed to Target and In and Our for groceries and dinner. I was happy I didn't have to spend $50 on Vons when all I really needed was milk, yogurt, and water. I packed quite a bit of dry foods and baby foods in my luggage. 30 tiny containers of baby food took up quite a bit of space in my luggage!

I let my friend order my food at In and Out since she's a "local". My burger was well done and the fries "light well". They were so dry and crispy they tasted like those potato sticks you buy in a can... I could not complain because she was nice enough to take me there AND treat my family to the meal. DH and the DDs liked their food and all was well. I will blame my lack of swallowing capabilities at that point for my tasteless food.

Our friends headed home and we were all ready for bed. I popped a Motrin and went to bed hoping I'd wake up feeling better the next day...

:s ick:
Old 05-31-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

I love the hotels around Disneyland (well from what I remember from our trip back in 1983 lol). I truly hope you feel better soon - what a rough way to start your trip!! (on my trip to WDW in Feb 2008, I started having a sore throat and sniffles 3 days before we left and I put hydrogen peroxide drops in my ears and it helped until our second day. I didn't bring any with me and ended up drinking tons of orange juice and taking motrin and felt better.)

Your little ones are so adorable!! Loved the expression on your son's face watching the parade

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
heaven2dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
tinksdreamwishes
DIS Veteran

Location: Stockton,Ca- the second most miserable city in the US!

your girls are beautiful !!! I love those outfits! Cant wait to read more- hope your feeling better!

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
~ Peter Pan
tinksdreamwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
momto2nenas
DIS Veteran

Yay I have readers!

Being sick on vacation, at Disney no less, is no fun! Thankfully we had 5 days this visit and I was able to take the first few days at a slow (deathly slow) pace.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
momto2nenas
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Disneyland

Sunday morning dawned bright and early... the kids were up before 7am thanks to still being on Texas (Central) time. I could barely make it out of bed. I felt that bad. I knew Magic Morning wasn't going to happen that day and forced myself to get up and get ourselves to Disneyland for the 8am opening.

I did all the previous self-remedies: warm saltwater rinse, sore throat lozenges, and of course my 800mg Motrin! I was hoping to make it through the morning and then back for a nap/rest in the afternoon, heading back for dinner and fireworks.

We were in line at the gates at 7:30 and were let onto Main Street to await rope drop. 8am we heard that familiar voice telling us it was time for the MAGIC! The girls sang along to the "Its the Time of Your Life" theme song and we headed into Frontierland for BTMRR. My oldest DD and I rode first with no wait! DH and DD2 rode after us and had a SwitchPass but it wasn't needed since there was still no line.

DD1, DD3, and I headed to Adventureland to get FPs for Indy and Splash Mountain. Since we held 4 tickets but also would need a parent SwitchPass we could get 2 FPs for each ride and then "switch". It worked beautifully the whole trip whenever FP was needed. Something I double checked here on the Dis before attempting, thanks Disers!

DH and DD2 met up with us around Splash and DD1 and I went to get wet! Believe it or not, this would be my first time riding Splash! All previous trips it was too cold, too big of lines, or I was pregnant, lol DD1 had ridden it several times and couldn't wait to ride with me. I could tell when we were getting close to the drops b/c her little heart started beating so fast I thought it was going to pop out of her chest! She kept saying hold on to me, hold on to me! She remembered sliding forward on the seat her first ride and was still afraid of that. The drops were so fun and we didn't get that wet. The themeing of the ride is so cute, I really wish I knew the story of Song of the South to know the ride's backstory...

DH and DD2 were next to ride Splash (they rode Pooh while waiting for us) and I took the other 2 girls on Pooh. So DD3 got to ride Pooh 3 times that morning, lol. We stayed on for 2 rides and baby loved it. Its such a smooth ride and I loved the birthday scene at the end since I would be celebrating MY birthday during our trip this visit.

Pooh's Corner is always a cute place to browse around. I love the smell of that store! They really come up with some cute treats that's for sure! I took plenty of pictures to share here.

Haunted Mansion was next with NO wait, man I love the mornings at Disneyland!

Time for Indy! DD2 was excited to ride and we were almost into the indoor que when a CM tracked us down to measure DD2.. she was too short! I thought for sure she was tall enough. She was so sad to miss out... if I had remembered the ride better I would have sent DH instead with DD1. I may be the only person who does NOT care for Indiana Jones ride. It was so jerky and I just felt like you could barely focus on the ride because you were being jolted around so much. So mark Indy off my list for the future... I'll sit out with the shorties from now on.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #10
Tikestoublie
Mouseketeer

Just found your TR - love it!! The kids are adorable. So sorry you had to be sick for your trip. While thankfully never been sick at DL, have had to suffer through that for other trips - no fun.

Have to say, you took some amazing pictures! All of them are beautiful. The treat ones you got at Pooh's Corner were brilliant!! And I take photos part time for a living.

Definitely looking forward to hear how the rest of your trip went. Currently have 6 weeks from today till we arrive at DL. Till then will be enjoying through you.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
tinksdreamwishes
DIS Veteran

awww they look great in these outfits too! I love your pictures! Happy late birthday .... cant wait to read the rest!

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
~ Peter Pan
Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Yay I found your TR!!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
BeautyAndTheBeast22
Mouseketeer

I just stumbled upon your TR and I love it! Such wonderful pictures and an adorable family! I know how it is to be sick at DL, I ended up with pink eye 2 years ago. Talk about not fun, I am blind without my contacts, but it hurt so terribly bad to put them in. I spent a lot of time in the hotel, which is never anyone's idea of a fun vacation. Hopefully you weren't sick the entire time!

Can't wait to hear how the rest of your trip was.
YouTube Trip Vids: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012
[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/'] (2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013 still to come)
BeautyAndTheBeast22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
tinksdreamwishes
DIS Veteran

I am still waiting to read more!!!!!!!!!!

~ Peter Pan
Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
momto2nenas
DIS Veteran

Now, let's get on with the show!

So I'm a bit behind with my trip report! Life has been going full speed ahead since we got back in May. I am SO thankful we took our trip when we did! If we had waited till after we sold our house and moved... well we most likely would have had to cancel for financial reasons. *Side note, our house is under contract and we will be moving as planned the beginning of August with DH to his next duty assignment!*

So I was on Day 2, we'd just rode Indy....... thankfully I took down notes each night back in our hotel room of what we did that day, what we ate, etc. It really helps when its time to do a trip report and when I do my Disneyland scrapbook albums.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: