Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #1351
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Nancy, you described the cupcake frosting perfectly. Gummy. So weird. I didn't notice it with the mini cupcakes for sale at the food courts, but the "full" size cupcakes make the feel really obvious. Unpleasant.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #1352
Amusement
Mouseketeer

Wok-Fried Green Beans

Does anyone happen to know if the Wok-Fried Green Beans at Yak and Yeti are vegan? My husband is vegan and my daughter has an egg allergy. She loves crispy green beans, but I'm wondering if the batter has egg in it.
I'll contact Disney for specifics as we get closer to our trip, but figured I would check her on the off chance someone knew.
Thanks!
Amusement is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #1353
lcb
Earning My Ears

For anyone staying at POR - spoke to Chef Paul and he was incredibly nice and patient with my vegan dining questions. We will be running the Enchanted 10k and wanted to make sure we could get carby stuff the night before the race. Chef Paul assured us we could get Vegan pizza (with Daiya cheese) Wahooo. He also asked us how long we'd be staying at the resort and mentioned other options for the rest of our stay including a vegan burger and pasta bar options.

Also, spoke to Chef Miguel at the Boardwalk Pizza Window and they offer vegan pizza as well. The pizza is personal sized and has to be made on a flatbread and has non-dairy "cheese".

And now it looks like I have a pizza obsession... All well, I hope this info is helpful!

February 21 - March 3rd 2014 - POR
Disney Princess Enchanted 10k 2014
lcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #1354
ptrspmpkin
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE="lcb"]For anyone staying at POR - spoke to Chef Paul and he was incredibly nice and patient with my vegan dining questions. We will be running the Enchanted 10k and wanted to make sure we could get carby stuff the night before the race. Chef Paul assured us we could get Vegan pizza (with Daiya cheese) Wahooo. He also asked us how long we'd be staying at the resort and mentioned other options for the rest of our stay including a vegan burger and pasta bar options.

That's great news to hear! Hubby and I are staying there on our next trip!!
ptrspmpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #1355
11point5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcb View Post
For anyone staying at POR - spoke to Chef Paul and he was incredibly nice and patient with my vegan dining questions. We will be running the Enchanted 10k and wanted to make sure we could get carby stuff the night before the race. Chef Paul assured us we could get Vegan pizza (with Daiya cheese) Wahooo. He also asked us how long we'd be staying at the resort and mentioned other options for the rest of our stay including a vegan burger and pasta bar options.
WOW thank you so much!!!! I'll be staying at POR and running the Glass Slipper Challenge (and staying on vacation for following week!) so this is so helpful!! I'm especially excited about the pasta bar options! And I emailed special diets to make sure they have the allergy-free waffles (which they do!)...can't wait to start my mornings with those!
I'd love to know where else you're planning on eating for the rest of your stay if you've decided yet?
See you at the Enchanted 10k!
April 2000 - (POFQ) Second Daddy-Daughter Trip!
April 2007 - (AS Sports) High School Band Trip!
October 2012 - (ASMu) DBF's First Trip AND Our 3 Year Dating Anniversary!
February 2014 - (POR) Glass Slipper Challenge Trip!

11point5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #1356
lcb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11point5 View Post
WOW thank you so much!!!! I'll be staying at POR and running the Glass Slipper Challenge (and staying on vacation for following week!) so this is so helpful!! I'm especially excited about the pasta bar options! And I emailed special diets to make sure they have the allergy-free waffles (which they do!)...can't wait to start my mornings with those!
I'd love to know where else you're planning on eating for the rest of your stay if you've decided yet?
See you at the Enchanted 10k!
That’s awesome you’re running the Glass Slipper!!! My husband and I are running the 10k together and are staying for a week of vacation after the race. We actually booked our trip first and then we found out about the 10k. Once we realized we’d only have to add on one night to the beginning of our trip I registered us ASAP. :

This is what we have planned so for our ADRs -
Kona Café - Breakfast - vegan Tonga Toast at the 10k (Disney Special diets verified the Tonga Toast can be made vegan at both the Kona Café and Captain Cooks)
Kona Café – Dinner - Pan-Asian Noodles with Tofu
Boma – hope it lives up to its reputation as the most “vegan friendly buffet”
SciFi Drive In – veggie burger - read that you can also order a vegan milkshake
Liberty Tree Tavern - House-made Potato Quinoa Vegan Patty
Be Our Guest – Lunch – Quinoa salad / Dinner – Seasonal Salad Trio and Ratatouille
Teppan Edo – Yasai Seasonal Vegetables and edamame

For Quick Service we are thinking

Magic Kingdom:
Columbia Harbour House - Vegetarian Chill and the Lighthouse Sandwich without the broccoli slaw because it has mayo
Tortuga Tavern – veggie burrito
Plaza Ice Cream Parlor – toffuti / rice dream is supposedly available (heard its actually listed right on the menu – go Disney!)

Epcot:
Tangerine Café - Falafel Wrap or the Vegetable Platter without the lentil salad (I believe this also has mayo but plan on double checking)
Liberty Inn- Vegetarian "Chick'n" Breast with Guacamole, Chipotle Corn Salsa, Lettuce, and Tomato sandwich
La Cantina de San Angel – paletas
Kabuki Café - Kaki Gori
Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe - Sweet Pretzel with Almonds
L’Artisan des Glaces - Sorbet

Hollywood Studios seems to have its fair share of veggie sandwiches, veggie burgers and vegan pizza (available at Pizza Planet by request) but we’re heading to the Boardwalk for a break from the park for the vegan pizza at the Boardwalk Pizza Window

Animal Kingdom
Havent really decided but lunch will be on the lighter side since Boma is the same night and it’s a splurge for us. Either Tamu Tamu Refreshments for the Vegetarian Curry with tofu or the Fruit Bowl or Mr Kamals for Samosas, Falafels, or the Asian Noodle Salad

Planning to check out Babycakes on our down time

I have read reviews of people saying Disney isn’t vegan friendly, particularly the counter service restaurants, but between my husband and I we have come up with a lot of possible options for the parks, it was just time consuming going through all the menus. I hope our planning pays off and we are able to easily accommodate our vegan diet. We will find out in 19 days!

Old 02-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #1357
mum2simon
Mouseketeer

Great list, thanks! We went in 2010 with our two young boys and ate vegan with the quick service dining plan. Lots of planning, but so worth it -I didn't have to cook!! We hope to go back this September with our now 3 boys and ae starting to research menu changes and new options (especially for the kids menus!).

2014??? Hoping for POP again!!! 2010 POP , 2006 Offsite - Sheraton Vistana, 2004 FortWilderness Campground, 2002 All Star Movies, 1999 Offsite 1990 Caribbean Beach Resort, 1986 Polynesian, 1982 Fort Wilderness Cabin
mum2simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #1358
prudence64
DIS Veteran

I found that being a vegetarian at Disney was very easy for an adult, but kids meals could use some work for more variety.
prudence64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #1359
mum2simon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudence64 View Post
I found that being a vegetarian at Disney was very easy for an adult, but kids meals could use some work for more variety.
Last trip we upgraded our then 4yo to an adult so we didn't have to deal with any kids meals....my kids don't eat any of the kid's meal type stuff. We will probably do the same thing this trip for the 7yo and 5yo

2014??? Hoping for POP again!!! 2010 POP , 2006 Offsite - Sheraton Vistana, 2004 FortWilderness Campground, 2002 All Star Movies, 1999 Offsite 1990 Caribbean Beach Resort, 1986 Polynesian, 1982 Fort Wilderness Cabin
mum2simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #1360
Austinsmom068
Mouseketeer

Hi. I'm thinking about what ADRs to make and I'm stuck. I'm debating on CRT for breakfast or Akershus for dinner. I really want to do both but don't think everybody else would want two princess character meals. I leaning more towards CRT but I don't want to use two TS credits for a bowel of fruit. Which one is more vegan friendly? Also I'm planning on going to dinner at garden grill. Wondering how the food is for vegans.
Austinsmom068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #1361
DCDisney
On my way...

Honestly the character buffets are easier to get some vegan variety. If your whole family is vegan I would not waste that $$$ at CRT. I think all you'd get would be frozen waffles and fruit. Akershus dinner in our experience was pasta and veggies. No protein! These places are just packed and move people through quickly. 1900 park fare is usually a good vegan character option. Ohana breakfast they will do fruit, waffles from scratch, breakfast potatoes, and tofu veggie scramble. We enjoy Mickey and stitch there too. Crystal Palace hasn't been quite as good as the others I mentioned but they are usually helpful if you make specific requests.
DCDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #1362
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinsmom068 View Post
Hi. I'm thinking about what ADRs to make and I'm stuck. I'm debating on CRT for breakfast or Akershus for dinner. I really want to do both but don't think everybody else would want two princess character meals. I leaning more towards CRT but I don't want to use two TS credits for a bowel of fruit. Which one is more vegan friendly? Also I'm planning on going to dinner at garden grill. Wondering how the food is for vegans.
Is it that you want a princess meal? Because you have other options for meeting princesses, that don't involve meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDisney View Post
Honestly the character buffets are easier to get some vegan variety. If your whole family is vegan I would not waste that $$$ at CRT. I think all you'd get would be frozen waffles and fruit. Akershus dinner in our experience was pasta and veggies. No protein! These places are just packed and move people through quickly. 1900 park fare is usually a good vegan character option. Ohana breakfast they will do fruit, waffles from scratch, breakfast potatoes, and tofu veggie scramble. We enjoy Mickey and stitch there too. Crystal Palace hasn't been quite as good as the others I mentioned but they are usually helpful if you make specific requests.
Ohana was a fantastic breakfast option. I'll say it is the only WDW table service breakfast we did, but it was great. Way beyond "Here's the fruit, and maybe the tomato salad is OK". If you can time things properly, you can probably meet the princesses at MK or elsewhere, and use your dining time on a better option.

Honestly, though, breakfast is not a meal I waste table service on. We can all grab a quick, easy breakfast, and get on some rides while everyone else is gorging on eggs, sausage, etc. Then we can sit down at lunch or an early dinner, while the rest of the park visitors are standing in long lines. It works out really well for us.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #1363
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
Honestly, though, breakfast is not a meal I waste table service on. We can all grab a quick, easy breakfast, and get on some rides while everyone else is gorging on eggs, sausage, etc. Then we can sit down at lunch or an early dinner, while the rest of the park visitors are standing in long lines. It works out really well for us.
I really agree with you, even as an ovo-lacto vegetarian. The eggs at Disney buffets just aren't good enough (except at Disneyland's Surf's Up breakfast when you can get huevos rancheros) that you can eat enough to make up for the cost. In October when we were at Tusker House, all the unique things about TH just weren't there until they brought out lunch (if you have a late breakfast reservation there and eat slowly, you'll get lunch food, too). It was just...breakfast. I'm sure if we ate meat it would have been more interesting, but...nothing unique.

I definitely agree with your strategy!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #1364
11point5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcb View Post
That’s awesome you’re running the Glass Slipper!!! My husband and I are running the 10k together and are staying for a week of vacation after the race. We actually booked our trip first and then we found out about the 10k. Once we realized we’d only have to add on one night to the beginning of our trip I registered us ASAP. :

This is what we have planned so for our ADRs -
Kona Café - Breakfast - vegan Tonga Toast at the 10k (Disney Special diets verified the Tonga Toast can be made vegan at both the Kona Café and Captain Cooks)
Kona Café – Dinner - Pan-Asian Noodles with Tofu
Boma – hope it lives up to its reputation as the most “vegan friendly buffet”
SciFi Drive In – veggie burger - read that you can also order a vegan milkshake
Liberty Tree Tavern - House-made Potato Quinoa Vegan Patty
Be Our Guest – Lunch – Quinoa salad / Dinner – Seasonal Salad Trio and Ratatouille
Teppan Edo – Yasai Seasonal Vegetables and edamame

For Quick Service we are thinking

Magic Kingdom:
Columbia Harbour House - Vegetarian Chill and the Lighthouse Sandwich without the broccoli slaw because it has mayo
Tortuga Tavern – veggie burrito
Plaza Ice Cream Parlor – toffuti / rice dream is supposedly available (heard its actually listed right on the menu – go Disney!)

Epcot:
Tangerine Café - Falafel Wrap or the Vegetable Platter without the lentil salad (I believe this also has mayo but plan on double checking)
Liberty Inn- Vegetarian "Chick'n" Breast with Guacamole, Chipotle Corn Salsa, Lettuce, and Tomato sandwich
La Cantina de San Angel – paletas
Kabuki Café - Kaki Gori
Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe - Sweet Pretzel with Almonds
L’Artisan des Glaces - Sorbet

Hollywood Studios seems to have its fair share of veggie sandwiches, veggie burgers and vegan pizza (available at Pizza Planet by request) but we’re heading to the Boardwalk for a break from the park for the vegan pizza at the Boardwalk Pizza Window

Animal Kingdom
Havent really decided but lunch will be on the lighter side since Boma is the same night and it’s a splurge for us. Either Tamu Tamu Refreshments for the Vegetarian Curry with tofu or the Fruit Bowl or Mr Kamals for Samosas, Falafels, or the Asian Noodle Salad

Planning to check out Babycakes on our down time

I have read reviews of people saying Disney isn’t vegan friendly, particularly the counter service restaurants, but between my husband and I we have come up with a lot of possible options for the parks, it was just time consuming going through all the menus. I hope our planning pays off and we are able to easily accommodate our vegan diet. We will find out in 19 days!
I love this list!! Looks like we have a lot of the same places in mind But I do have one sad thing to mention...and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but.....last I heard, Plaza will be closed from Feb 17th until March sometime! I was SO looking forward to the nondairy ice cream options there too!!
Ending on a good note, I'm not sure if you got the same online race kit thingy with the 10k but I got this email with coupons and stuff and one of them is for downtown disney on sunday the 23rd from 2-8pm and a whole bunch of stores are offering discounts to runners and all you have to do is present your medal --I would imagine they'd honor a 10k medal too! But I don't know for sure. Babycakes is on the list - 20% off! Just something to consider anyway
April 2000 - (POFQ) Second Daddy-Daughter Trip!
April 2007 - (AS Sports) High School Band Trip!
October 2012 - (ASMu) DBF's First Trip AND Our 3 Year Dating Anniversary!
February 2014 - (POR) Glass Slipper Challenge Trip!

11point5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #1365
lcb
Earning My Ears

Vegan Tonga Toast No More

Worst news ever... both Chef Amber at the Poly Kona Cafe and Disney Special Diets have verified Tonga Toast can no longer be made vegan.

I had originally contacted Special Diets in December to verify that Tonga Toast can be made vegan and was told it was available at both Captain Cook's and Kona Cafe. I was completely shocked yesterday when we spoke to the Chef at Kona and heard this was no longer the case. I received the email from special diets this morning verifying the lack of vegan Tonga Toast.

I guess I can't be too upset, seeing as how I have never actually had tonga toast. Apparently the macadamia pineapple pancakes can be made vegan. Looks like my husband and I will be trying those for our post Enchanted 10k breakfast.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: