Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #1291
ralb81
Earning My Ears

the cakes sound also well
ralb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #1292
punkin712
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

The pyramid shaped things at Tusker are somewhere between a cookie and a brownie; they are something baked and then there's a sugar sauce drizzled on top. They are cinnamony or that sort of spice. So good.
Oops...I think I got those confused with the zebra domes at Boma. Last time we were at Boma, the chef told me that any desserts with mousse (like the zebra domes) most likely contain gelatin. I assume that holds true anywhere in the parks, but maybe not. Sorry for any confusion!

First Visit - 1972
WDW College Program - 1991
Fairy Tale Wedding - 1997
DVC Member - 1999

I've eaten at 97 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (39%)
I've eaten at 33 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (38%)
I've eaten at 29 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (11%)
I've eaten at 0 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (0%)

punkin712 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #1293
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin712 View Post
Oops...I think I got those confused with the zebra domes at Boma. Last time we were at Boma, the chef told me that any desserts with mousse (like the zebra domes) most likely contain gelatin. I assume that holds true anywhere in the parks, but maybe not. Sorry for any confusion!
I didn't even think you were referring to the pyramid things; thought it was just good info!

The adding-gelatin-to-mousse thing drives me nuts. It's only needed because they want it to look uniform and pretty, and they are taking shortcuts. It's so incredibly not needed otherwise. (this is a fairly common rant with me, LOL....gelatin and corn syrup are huge cooking shortcuts that drive me up the wall)

I'm not sure about other food courts, but the one at AOA has Babycakes cupcakes in their refrigerated section. In Feb we got a little plastic box of their mini cupcakes there. Tasty.
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #1294
duckcow
Earning My Ears

I just wanted to thank everyone for his thread. My family is newly vegetarian (10 months!) and this thread has been so helpful for me when planning our disney trip for December.
duckcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #1295
MellinMickey4333
Earning My Ears

Babycakes is fabulous!!!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #1296
Sehsun
DIS Veteran

^ I love BabyCakes!

Recently I went to Sanaa for the first time. I found out they had separate vegetarian and vegan menus!! I was so excited.

I ended up getting the Sampler for Two - "Potato and Pea Samosas, Lamb Kefta Sliders, and a choice of Chana Tikki or Seasonal Soup." (Courtesy of Allears.net) My DBF ate the lamb kefta sliders, so I just have the two items in this photo:

DBF also ordered the Indian Style Bread Service, which was really good, too.

My favorite was the Chana Tikki!! Such a unique taste, great texture, very soft.

I've now been to Boma and Sanaa over at AKL, and so far I've been very impressed with the food at this resort and how they are so accommodating to veg*ns!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #1297
Eclectic Goddess
My Ears are a Pair of Devil Horns

DF and I will be at WDW next February for the Princess Half Marathon Weekend. (We're running the 10k together on Saturday, then she's running the half on Sunday while I act as pit crew/cheerleader.) We're staying the week after, as well. I'm mostly vegetarian, and usually leave out the "mostly" when dining out to be on the safe side. DF is an omnivore who enjoys vegetarian food and is always concerned that I have good options.

Last time we were in Orlando together, I ended up eating a lot of salad, pasta, and veggie burgers. (I also have an aversion to onions and don't like mushrooms much, so that limits my veggie options.) This time, we're doing much more advance planning, and now I know how flexible most of the table service places can be, so I'm really looking forward to it. So far, I've picked restaurants based on online recs and looking through the menus, but I'd love some vegetarian-specific feedback.

ADRS:
Raglan Road - First night at WDW - we're getting in early in the evening after a long flight, and it looks like a fun place to get started.

Via Napoli - Saturday, late lunch to recover from 10k and pre-fueling (carbs!) for half marathon the next morning.

Flying Fish - Early dinner on Sunday, to celebrate finishing the races. I hope the dress code doesn't have anything against sparkly medals, because we'll definitely be wearing ours!

Brown Derby (Fantasmic Package) - Monday for a late lunch.

We don't have ADRs yet, but I'm also thinking we'll have at least one meal at Sanaa, Sci-Fi Drive-In, and possibly Tusker House. (DF isn't a fan of buffets, but I'm going to try and sell her on this one, because I've heard great things.) I'm also still assembling a list of counter service dishes, but since I don't need an ADR for those, I'm in no hurry.

Is there anyplace else that's not to be missed?

Disneyland Trips
Fall 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~ Gay Days Anaheim
Winter 2013 ~ Off Season Magic
Fall 2014 ~ DF's Birthday Extravaganza!
*January 2015 ~ Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend*
*Spring 2015 ~ Star Wars Celebration*

Orlando Trips
Fall 2010 ~ Harry Potter Emersion Therapy / Visit to the ‘World
Spring 2012 ~ Taking the HLP on Holiday!
Spring 2014 ~ Princess Half Marathon Weekend / Wizarding World
Eclectic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #1298
porschegrl
Earning My Ears

The last time we visited WDW, I was so excited to try Babycakes for the first time. It was so yummy, but unfortunately, we only got over to DTD once. Did I read somewhere that the Boardwalk Bakery also sells Babycakes items? Just one more reason to love the Epcot-area resorts!
porschegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #1299
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I don't know about Boardwalk, but the AOA food court had a multipack of mini Babycakes cupcakes when we went there.

Eclectic Goddess, will you be able to get the tofu noodle bowl at the Fantasmic lunch at HBD?

Tusker is amazing. LOVE it. And Sanaa is great. Doubt I'd go to Sci Fi for yet another veggie burger, again, though.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #1300
Eclectic Goddess

Quote:
Eclectic Goddess, will you be able to get the tofu noodle bowl at the Fantasmic lunch at HBD?

Tusker is amazing. LOVE it. And Sanaa is great. Doubt I'd go to Sci Fi for yet another veggie burger, again, though.
Oh, I hadn't even thought that the tofu noodle bowl might not be on the lunch menu at Brown Derby. I'll have to double-check. Thanks for the heads-up!

As for Sci-Fi, I was thinking about the seared marinated tofu dish.

I'm saving any veggie burger consumption for last-minute-no-ADRs-I'm-starving-and-all-we-can-get-is-counter-service afternoons.

Disneyland Trips

Orlando Trips
Old 11-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #1301
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclectic Goddess View Post
Oh, I hadn't even thought that the tofu noodle bowl might not be on the lunch menu at Brown Derby. I'll have to double-check. Thanks for the heads-up!

As for Sci-Fi, I was thinking about the seared marinated tofu dish.

I'm saving any veggie burger consumption for last-minute-no-ADRs-I'm-starving-and-all-we-can-get-is-counter-service afternoons.
Hmm. One of us is going by a bad menu. I hope it's me for your sake!

We went to sci fi Feb 2012, and they had JUST gotten rid of that tofu dish and changed it for the veggie burger I spoke of. If they brought it back that's awesome.

Checking the allears.net menus that say they were updated in August, the veggie options are:

Quote:
Vegetarian Sheppard's Pie - Sci Fi-style Fresh Vegetables and Vegetable Patty topped with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Melted Cheddar $13.99

Vegetable Burger - Vegetable Patty topped with Cucumber Planks, Vine-ripened Tomatoes, Grilled Red Onions, Arugula, drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar served with a choice of Cucumber Salad or Sweet Potato Fries $12.49
Desserts
That's the veggie burger I had in 2012 but the other option wasn't there then.

I see what has kept me from the F! option for HBD, and it's not that the dish isn't available, but that it's more food and therefore more money than we order there.

Quote:
Dining packages for The Hollywood Brown Derby and Mama Melrose’s Ristorante Italiano are available for lunch or dinner and include one:

Entree
Dessert
Non-alcoholic beverage
VIP seating voucher
We don't really get dessert there anymore (I'm over the grapefruit cake and now I don't trust the cobbler DH and DS used to share given the info about various desserts and the possibility of gelatin in them, cobbler in general having been mentioned, ugh) and there's no non-alcoholic beverage I get there, so that's why I had a question mark in my head.

Otherwise they have the same menu (and prices) at lunch and dinner so I'm sure you can get the tofu noodle deliciousness bowl. Recipe here, by the way.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #1302
Eclectic Goddess

Quote:
Hmm. One of us is going by a bad menu. I hope it's me for your sake!

We went to sci fi Feb 2012, and they had JUST gotten rid of that tofu dish and changed it for the veggie burger I spoke of. If they brought it back that's awesome.
I was going by the menu posted online via the official Disney dining site and a couple recent dining reviews. We haven't made an ADR or anything, so if it drops off, then I guess we just won't be going there!

Thanks for the info, though. I know enough to be leery of Disney desserts from my time at Disneyland, but the tip on the cobblers is good to be reminded of!

Disneyland Trips

Orlando Trips
Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #1303
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Can anyone tell me how 'Ohana is for breakfast as a vegan?

Had a great dinner experience there last time, but curious if I need to call ahead as a vegan.
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #1304
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

It's been awhile since we've heard about a Chef TJ meal.

Can anyone confirm his whereabouts? Hopefully he's still on property.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #1305
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

Rose and Crown

It looks like the Rose & Crown at EPCOT may have a vegan menu item now:

Vegetable Curry
Basmati Rice, crispy Poppadum, and Raita

(The Raita isn't vegan, but the rest sounds like it is).

Has anyone tried this? Is it anywhere near as good as the vegetable pie they used to offer?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: