Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #1276
daveaustralia
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4

Thanks for all the info and photos! Making me hungry.


Just wondering, when you refer to some desserts not being vegetarian, are you referring to them including animal gelatine products? Sorry if its just me with the confusion but I wouldn't have thought that many desserts would contain gelatine.
daveaustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #1277
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us
 
DSNY4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 3,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveaustralia View Post
Thanks for all the info and photos! Making me hungry.


Just wondering, when you refer to some desserts not being vegetarian, are you referring to them including animal gelatine products? Sorry if its just me with the confusion but I wouldn't have thought that many desserts would contain gelatine.
It is surprising but most restaurant and bakery desserts contain gelatin. Whipped cream, cheesecake, cobblers (in the sauce), mousse, frosting (most cakes and cupcakes at WDW), sometimes even yogurt...and many other items you wouldn't expect all have gelatin added in to help it keep it's shape, make it thicker, or give it a longer shelf life. When you make these desserts at home no normal person adds these things in, but when you eat out you always have to check because it is most likely in there. We really struggled with desserts and my husband has a huge sweet tooth. Tusker House was a huge treat because there were lots of dessert items that were vegetarian and I think I gained three pounds just from that meal alone
__________________
"Being green is not a trend. It is, perhaps, the most important challenge of our time." -John Fahey-

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #1278
marypoppins81
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 402

Wdw add gelatin to cupcakes? Noooooo! This can't be true. I was so looking forward to trying them all. Are there any that are veggie?
marypoppins81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #1279
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 44,778

I hadn't even thought about the cobbler darnit.

Eh most Disney desserts are not good anyway. But if someone finds out that that pyramid shaped thing at Tusker has gelatin in it please keep it to yourself ok? That one is delish.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #1280
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 44,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins81 View Post
Wdw add gelatin to cupcakes? Noooooo! This can't be true. I was so looking forward to trying them all. Are there any that are veggie?
I've had two disney cupcakes before realizing the issue (it's in the frosting and filling to falsely help it keep shape and look pretty) and honestly they were awful. You want to think they are good because of the cost and how pretty they are but no.

However Babycakes cupcakes are vegan, and as long as you eat them fresh they are quite good. I first thought they were bad but I had waited two days to eat them. Fresh they are good.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #1281
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us
 
DSNY4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 3,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
You want to think they are good because of the cost and how pretty they are but no.
So true...but man they make them look pretty! And I was bummed about the cobbler too (one of my usual favorites).

We found that you really need to have an understanding of what vegetarian (and or vegan) means to be able to explain it to the waiters because a lot of them would say "oh you can eat any of the desserts, there is no meat in there" and then when we would explain gelatin they would say oh I doubt they use that, but I can check...and then they would return to the table surprised with only one dessert option for us. They didn't always bring out the chef for us (which usually wasn't necessary anyway, mostly only for buffets) so we had to make sure the waiters understood our restrictions.

And counters service places really didn't know much at all and wanted you to look through the binders of ingredient info. This was hard when you have a hungry and impatient toddler in your party. My husband talked to one of the chefs at The Mara when it was empty one day and he said a lot of the counter service items are not made on site and are just delivered (especially the pre-packaged desserts and stuff), so the chefs don't know what's in those things.
__________________
"Being green is not a trend. It is, perhaps, the most important challenge of our time." -John Fahey-

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #1282
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 44,778

Quote:
At the Animal Kingdom counter service was really hard. The little stand outside the Flights of Wonder show had the Pita Bread and hummus snack pack which was good, but there really wasn’t much to be found.
There's that one stand that's all vegetarian, though. I noticed that they moved it and took off the Vegetarian sign (was probably steering some people away from it) but the menu board was still the same. We were too full from Tusker and too hot and too tired (one meal and one ride and we went back to the resort) to try it, again, but they have some sort of vegetarian noodle thing and another thing or two there.



Wanted to mention the Wave for breakfast! I made reservations there for our recent trip based on one menu item, and then found out that the cheese grits were made WITH bacon. We kept the ADR anyway and our very helpful server told us that ANYTHING from the buffet that could be made vegetarian would be if we asked. So the kitchen made us a nice bowl of bacon-free cheese grits. Since I already know and trust Tillamook cheese (all but the very very aged white sharp cheddar is rennet-free) I was all over that. We all liked our breakfast buffet at the Wave, and the grits were a great addition to our normal breakfasty foods.


Also wanted to re-mention the soups at BOG. I loved the leek/potato soup SO much. DS had a bite and abandoned his pasta and red sauce, insisting we order him his own bowl. He was never a soup person and only recently expanded his horizons to ONE other soup. But this made him a convert.

DH had the french onion and said it was THE best FO soup he's ever had, and he used to eat the beef stock kind at snooty french restaurants. The server said that their chefs actually take the time, the hours, it takes to get the flavor of the onions, so they don't have to fake it with the beef stock. Yay them!

All we had there were the soups and then salads, but it was very good and we were happy.


Also wanted to mention that the topping on Le Fou's Brew is fine, in case that wasn't known. Might be called Toasted Marshmallow, but there's no gelatin (which makes sense because gelatin holds things in a shape, and there's no shape to be held in a topping). Of course, the Brew is so sickeningly sweet I don't think I'll ever have the need to have another, but at least it's safe.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #1283
punkin712
DIS Veteran
 
punkin712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I hadn't even thought about the cobbler darnit.

Eh most Disney desserts are not good anyway. But if someone finds out that that pyramid shaped thing at Tusker has gelatin in it please keep it to yourself ok? That one is delish.
Let's just say that none of the mousse desserts at Tusker are gelatin-free.
__________________

First Visit - 1972
WDW College Program - 1991
Fairy Tale Wedding - 1997
DVC Member - 1999
punkin712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #1284
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us
 
DSNY4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 3,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin712 View Post
Let's just say that none of the mousse desserts at Tusker are gelatin-free.
According to the chef there were only two desserts that were not vegetarian, one was the cobbler and I can't remember what the other one was (at least this was the case on the day we were there, I am sure they change it up sometimes). I don't remember this pyramid shaped thing- apparently I missed out. But I ate so much I don't remember

They have a new stand at the AK that will give you allergy dining info, but it was at the front of the park and we forgot to check there, by the time we got hungry we were too tired to walk back there. I wished we had checked there for info when we entered the park in the morning.
__________________
"Being green is not a trend. It is, perhaps, the most important challenge of our time." -John Fahey-

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #1285
marypoppins81
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

There's that one stand that's all vegetarian, though. I noticed that they moved it and took off the Vegetarian sign (was probably steering some people away from it) but the menu board was still the same. We were too full from Tusker and too hot and too tired (one meal and one ride and we went back to the resort) to try it, again, but they have some sort of vegetarian noodle thing and another thing or two there.

Wanted to mention the Wave for breakfast! I made reservations there for our recent trip based on one menu item, and then found out that the cheese grits were made WITH bacon. We kept the ADR anyway and our very helpful server told us that ANYTHING from the buffet that could be made vegetarian would be if we asked. So the kitchen made us a nice bowl of bacon-free cheese grits. Since I already know and trust Tillamook cheese (all but the very very aged white sharp cheddar is rennet-free) I was all over that. We all liked our breakfast buffet at the Wave, and the grits were a great addition to our normal breakfasty foods.

Also wanted to re-mention the soups at BOG. I loved the leek/potato soup SO much. DS had a bite and abandoned his pasta and red sauce, insisting we order him his own bowl. He was never a soup person and only recently expanded his horizons to ONE other soup. But this made him a convert.

DH had the french onion and said it was THE best FO soup he's ever had, and he used to eat the beef stock kind at snooty french restaurants. The server said that their chefs actually take the time, the hours, it takes to get the flavor of the onions, so they don't have to fake it with the beef stock. Yay them!

All we had there were the soups and then salads, but it was very good and we were happy.

Also wanted to mention that the topping on Le Fou's Brew is fine, in case that wasn't known. Might be called Toasted Marshmallow, but there's no gelatin (which makes sense because gelatin holds things in a shape, and there's no shape to be held in a topping). Of course, the Brew is so sickeningly sweet I don't think I'll ever have the need to have another, but at least it's safe.
Did you check the soups weren't made with chicken stock? French peoples idea of vegetarian is to chop up ham and stir it in or serve fish. I struggled in disneyland Paris.
marypoppins81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #1286
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us
 
DSNY4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 3,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins81 View Post
Did you check the soups weren't made with chicken stock? French peoples idea of vegetarian is to chop up ham and stir it in or serve fish. I struggled in disneyland Paris.
We asked about both soups when we were there and they were both fine- and I agree, they were very good! We are going to Germany this year and like you said about Paris- it will be a struggle I think we'll have to be a little go with the flow.
__________________
"Being green is not a trend. It is, perhaps, the most important challenge of our time." -John Fahey-

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #1287
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 44,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins81 View Post
Did you check the soups weren't made with chicken stock? French peoples idea of vegetarian is to chop up ham and stir it in or serve fish. I struggled in disneyland Paris.
At Be Our Guest they (those soups) are totally vegetarian. It has been reported that they are since BOG opened, and WDW doesn't generally mess around with calling things vegetarian when they aren't. An individual server might be confused, but Disney itself knows the differences. Our server wasn't confused, though, she knew EXACTLY what I needed and was very happy to reaffirm the info.

Remember, it's French style food in Orlando. It's not Paris.


If anyone wonders, the leek and potato soup at 3 Broomsticks at Universal's Islands of Adventure is vegetarian too.




The pyramid shaped things at Tusker are somewhere between a cookie and a brownie; they are something baked and then there's a sugar sauce drizzled on top. They are cinnamony or that sort of spice. So good.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #1288
nansmama
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins81 View Post
Wdw add gelatin to cupcakes? Noooooo! This can't be true. I was so looking forward to trying them all. Are there any that are veggie?
It's not in the parks, but Babycakes NYC in Downtown Disney has pretty good stuff and it's all vegan.
__________________
Next trip BCV 2/14
nansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #1289
marypoppins81
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmama

It's not in the parks, but Babycakes NYC in Downtown Disney has pretty good stuff and it's all vegan.
Glad to hear since we plan a couple of visits to dtd. This thread is great.
marypoppins81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:42 AM   #1290
ralb81
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12

in about a week I visit this: veganfach de we have a small garden center and produce a herbal salt without chemnicals
ralb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: